• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Dr Bass

Just how loud is this thing when playing back 4k blu rays? Reviews seem to be mixed. Any owners here try it yet? Kinda wanting to grab one just for that purpose, but if I am listening to the thing run it would probably bug the heck out of me.

Damn at that newegg deal on eBay

Xbox one s 2tb x halo 5 limited edition x doom x quantum break for $399 D:

I grabbed one for myself. Too good of a deal to pass up, especially the fact that all those games are physical copies, so you can trade them in or sell them if you wish. Halo 5 and Doom will keep me busy until GoW 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda come out.

I'm surprised there are special deals for the Slim already. Great time for new Xbox One owners to jump on the bandwagon!

Now to get a HDR compatible TV...lol.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Picked it up at Best Buy a couple of hours ago. Anecdotal evidence: seems to be selling briskly. Got Rare Replay and Master Chief Collection coming on Friday.

KuciwB5.jpg

Bsigg12

Picked it up at Best Buy a couple of hours ago. Anecdotal evidence: seems to be selling briskly. Got Rare Replay and Master Chief Collection coming on Friday.

KuciwB5.jpg

Enjoy all of that. It would be incredible if Insomniac could go back and add HDR support to Sunset Overdrive.

Been using an Elite controller since they launched last year and the pack in that came with my S feels sooooo light in comparison -- forgot about the weight difference!

If anyone is wondering, the texturized back feels very similar to me as the Dual Shock 4. It's just small plastic dimples all along the back side of the grips -- not actually the rubber that's on the Elite, the Lunar White, and the Forza 5 controllers.

I saw Digital Foundry's analysis of the some of the slight performance gains from the higher clock speeds that are in the S... Has anyone done any measured analysis of the OS performance yet? Any tangible gains? I can't tell if it's placebo effect but after my initial hurdles this morning setting the S up (turns out I needed to reset my router -- router was not communicating well with the S, but a reset fixed everything) everything seems extremely stable and smooth.

lastwolf82

Neo Member
has then been any bad reports on the S model? I just a little worried that it might overheat. But thats probably the only thing im worried about.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So far I'm pleased with the device. Aesthetically, it's gorgeous and the noise it makes seems minimal. Been watching some Netflix on my 4k TV and it's beautiful.

I'm left wondering why anyone would buy an Nvidia Shield now, especially with the $299 model on the horizon.

Menitta

Is Quantum Break good? I like time powers. It's $43 on Amazon and I'm thinking about picking it up.

I figured this is the best place to ask because it certainly isn't thread-worthy.

Max_Po

Banned
Is Quantum Break good? I like time powers. It's $43 on Amazon and I'm thinking about picking it up.

I figured this is the best place to ask because it certainly isn't thread-worthy.

I thought it was great even with low quality acting... however it is quiet short.

etta

my hard graphic balls

If you love and understand Remedy, you will love the game. Otherwise it might feel like an average game.
Guys any tears downs. ...waiting for shots of internals. ...
Check the DF links.

With these results, are UHD Blu rays still worth it? Will there still be a noticeable improvement over standard blu ray?

The TV is a Samsung JU7100.

No. To be honest most pre-2016 TV models aren't going to get the best out of UHD Blurays. The UHD specs weren't yet finalized. The improvements to color gamut, brightness, and blacks alone are reason enough to upgrade to a new model. I'd focus on getting a new TV because that can make alot of content look better, even if they aren't in 4k or HDR.

PSGames

Enjoy all of that. It would be incredible if Insomniac could go back and add HDR support to Sunset Overdrive.

I never considered this. I wonder how hard something like this would be to implement? I would think assets need to be created with HDR in mind to begin with?

Hawk269

I decided to hold off for Ps4 Neo and Scorpio. Upgrades with some significance.

Well the Xbox One S was not deisgned to be a significant upgrade from the standard system in the sense of improved performance like the Neo and Scorpio are meant to be. They made it, in what I believe are 2 reasons. Reduce cost or production and to give the Xbox One a new improved identity. The fact they added 4k Streaming and UHD/HDR Blu Ray was actually a great thing. They could of just kept the same Blu Ray drive and perhaps made it little cheaper in price, but I like that they did what they did.

There are many of us that like this upgrade, intergrated power supply, improved media functions etc. It is not for everyone, especially for those looking for a upgrade that will significantly improve gaming graphics/performance like it is expected from the Neo and moreso from the Scorpio.

Hexer06

Yep. Had the $299 Halo Bundle pre-ordered but then I saw that deal. For $100 more I get 3 games (2 of which I can sell cuz I own already), a stand, 1.5TB more of space, and I get the console a cpl weeks earlier. Worth it to me. :D

Hawk269

Yes, but if I play something like Marco Polo, which is HDR, I'm currently not able to get it to come up as HDR via the Xbox. If I load Netflix on the tv itself it will play as HDR, but not on the Xbox app. I was just curious if anyone else was able to do so or if it is just not implemented in the Xbox app quite yet.

There is currently a bug with the Netflix app. On my Sony XBR Set as soon as I load the Netflix App it triggers the HDR mode, so everything is in HDR. Marco Polo looks fantastic in HDR that I tested last night, but the issue is that because the app is triggering HDR mode as you boot into the app, movies that are not HDR does not look good. The App should only be activating HDR when you begin to watch actual HDR content, not for everything. So the only current way to defeat this is to disable HDR from the Xbox S settings and this will force the Netflix app not to enable HDR mode. Not too big of a deal for now because there is not a lot of HDR content on Netflix, but lots of standard 4k content.

This does need to be fixed, because on many sets like my Sony, once HDR is triggered and activated by the system, you cannot change it in the TV menu system. Hope someone from MS is reading these issues and are sending them up the pipeline to be fixed.

There is currently a bug with the Netflix app. On my Sony XBR Set as soon as I load the Netflix App it triggers the HDR mode, so everything is in HDR. Marco Polo looks fantastic in HDR that I tested last night, but the issue is that because the app is triggering HDR mode as you boot into the app, movies that are not HDR does not look good. The App should only be activating HDR when you begin to watch actual HDR content, not for everything. So the only current way to defeat this is to disable HDR from the Xbox S settings and this will force the Netflix app not to enable HDR mode. Not too big of a deal for now because there is not a lot of HDR content on Netflix, but lots of standard 4k content.

This does need to be fixed, because on many sets like my Sony, once HDR is triggered and activated by the system, you cannot change it in the TV menu system. Hope someone from MS is reading these issues and are sending them up the pipeline to be fixed.

Welcome to 4k apps!

This has been an issue long before the S came out. It's a stupid way to do things if you ask me.

With these results, are UHD Blu rays still worth it? Will there still be a noticeable improvement over standard blu ray?

The TV is a Samsung JU7100.

If you are seeing a screen like this, you have a setup issue.

I'm seeing this a lot today and it has to do with how 4K TV EDID's work.

1. Make sure you are connected to the correct input on your TV for 4K. Many sets only have one input that actually supports full UHD.
2. If you're using a receiver or AMP, make sure it supports 4K. Plug directly into the set to be sure.
3. Use the HDMI cable that came with the console.

That's extremely tempting but I don't have $400 to drop right now. I'm waiting on the 500GB model later in August since I bought a brand new WD Ultra 2TB external HDD for my future XBONE S. I'm actually hoping Newegg has a similar deal for the 500GB model, that would be awesome.

c0de

If you are seeing a screen like this, you have a setup issue.

I'm seeing this a lot today and it has to do with how 4K TV EDID's work.

1. Make sure you are connected to the correct input on your TV for 4K. Many sets only have one input that actually supports full UHD.
2. If you're using a receiver or AMP, make sure it supports 4K. Plug directly into the set to be sure.
3. Use the HDMI cable that came with the console.

People probably don't even know what EDID is...

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
This thing is so much cooler than the fat Xbox One. I mean literally. I played FIFA 16 for about an hour, put my hand on the console and almost everywhere was still cool to the touch. My original XB1 would get very hot in certain areas, not to mention my PS4 which would raise the room temp by 8 degrees.

Fredrik

This thing is so much cooler than the fat Xbox One. I mean literally. I played FIFA 16 for about an hour, put my hand on the console and almost everywhere was still cool to the touch. My original XB1 would get very hot in certain areas, not to mention my PS4 which would raise the room temp by 8 degrees.
Sounds great! The heating, and noise, was one of my biggest concerns when the PSU became internal.
My PS4 is odd though, it certainly heats up after a while but the biggest problem is the fans, the fans seems to ramp up even before the heat goes up, starting Uncharted 4 instantly brings the fans to full speed right on the title screen. :/

c0de

Sounds great! The heating, and noise, was one of my biggest concerns when the PSU became internal.
My PS4 is odd though, it certainly heats up after a while but the biggest problem is the fans, the fans seems to ramp up even before the heat goes up, starting Uncharted 4 instantly brings the fans to full speed right on the title screen. :/

You have a faulty console, the ps4 is silent as proven by df.

c0de

Not sure if serious.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=212243961

So much for no performance difference before the S released.

Also this idea that the PS4 is louder is simply not true according to even digital foundry. This was with a launch PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4
PS4

Noise: Close
Idle 42dB
Blu-ray 42dB
Gaming 51dB
Game + UI 53dB

Noise: 1 metre
Idle 40dB
Blu-ray 40dB
Gaming 42dB
Game + UI 42dB

Noise: 3 metres
Idle 40dB
Blu-ray 40dB
Gaming 41dB
Game + UI 41dB

Project Cars
Xbox One S Noise 47dB
Xbox One Noise 44dB

Tomb Raider (Digital)
Xbox One S Noise 45dB
Xbox One Noise 42dB

Blu-ray Playback
Xbox One S Noise 47dB
Xbox One Noise 43dB

UHD Blu-ray Playback
Xbox One S Noise 49dB

If you have a noticeably loud PS4 you should consider cleaning the perimeter holes. Ofcourse when it comes to games the different performance and demands of the games makes this comparison difficult but in like for like scenarios such as watching a blu-ray movie your launch PS4 should be quiter than an XB1 and much quiter than a XB1S.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Well I had originally cancelled my 2TB order for the cheaper 500GB Halo bundle to save $100.

Now I ended up cancelling that pre-order so I could buy this deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291835565889

Xbox One S 2TB + Halo 5 + DOOM + Quantum Break for $400. Even better if you got the 10% back targeted offer from eBay (I didn't) but even without it you get $8 back in eBay bucks.

Seems like a pretty legit bundle considering

DAT BUNDLE

Well I had originally cancelled my 2TB order for the cheaper 500GB Halo bundle to save $100.

Now I ended up cancelling that pre-order so I could buy this deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291835565889

Xbox One S 2TB + Halo 5 + DOOM + Quantum Break for $400. Even better if you got the 10% back targeted offer from eBay (I didn't) but even without it you get $8 back in eBay bucks.

Seems like a pretty legit bundle considering

Wow. That deal seems way too good to be true considering Amazon is selling the 2 TB console with ZERO games for the same price. AND you get free shipping? Does this seem crazy to anyone else?

Wow. That deal seems way too good to be true considering Amazon is selling the 2 TB console with ZERO games for the same price. AND you get free shipping? Does this seem crazy to anyone else?

It really is a great deal, especially for those who are purchasing an Xbox One for the first time. You're getting the premium console model with two console exclusive games, and what I call the best FPS out this year at no additional cost. No idea how Newegg is affording this, especially with it being tax free (at least for me it was). There has been more than 500 consoles sold already from that eBay listing.

Thanks Shackles for sharing that link!

God dammit shackles, god freaking dammit. I don't need this shit. I have 2 PS4's and 1 XB1 and a PC that I just play everything on anyway that I spent too much on.

I put it in my cart twice, removed it twice, researched HDR movies out, saw the ones I would like to see, read reviews, literally said "Fuck it" and put the One S in the cart and hit pay now. Now I have an XB1S, god dammit. Honestly it's the HDR support that tilted it, I got a 75 inch Samsung this year and it's not being used for anything 4K yet.

Microsoft's diabolical plan working flawlessly. Incorporating a UHD player for such an affordable price was genius on their behalf.

CFieDUa.gif

Top Bottom