• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Generally, yes. It's a good value for the money. The KU7000 can get brighter than the other one for sure, but I don't see if it's worth the extra money. If your space is in a very bright location it might be good to have and it comes down to whether you think it's worth the price difference. If you can, try to find a video shop to do a comparison.

Here are the rtings information for both of them:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500

Personally, this is what I would recommend. If you can't budget $1,000 for a TV and you very much need one, than it's not worth any extra money trying to get one which advertises HDR because you'll only be disappointed if you think it will be a noticeable difference in image quality. Simply get a good value 4K TV. However, if you can budget $1,000 take a look at Vizio's line-up and in particular the P-Series. The smallest it comes in right now is 50", but it has a 10-bit panel, WCG support and HDR support. It's certainly more of an entry-level HDR TV, but it should actually be noticeable improvement in image quality compared to a SDR TV.

If you can coast with your current TV until early next year, we'll see the next wave of TV's with HDR start rolling out and they should very quickly be reaching sub $1000 prices, particularly Vizio. That's just my assumption of course and we'll have to see if they can do that. Considering Vizio's good TV is at $1k, I would bet that next year they might be able to release a sub-50" with HDR for <$1k and have it actually be decent. Maybe not UHD Premium label worthy, but great value for the price.

In the end though, I'll say regardless of the TV's you've listed, you'll be happy either way. Hopefully you'll see some good improvements, and naturally be sure to calibrate to get the most out of them. :)

Appreciate all the advice, that actually helped quite a bit. The Vizio P-50 is right up my ally as it seems to have actual HDR. Damn, I thought all I had to do was look for the words "with High Dynamic Range" and I'd be all good. You're a life saver brother, thanks again. Now I'm just gonna wait for a Vizio sale at BB.

Guys, does the console reduce the black crush problem? I haven't got it but a friend of mine does, and he kept the original one too. He took some screenshots at GoW with both consoles, and Xbox One S ones look to be slightly different. Here they are:

OGX1:
twOkVK.png

X1S:
k7x59g.png

OGX1:
h3JkOu.png

X1S:
gDQWIj.png

The console was connected to a 1080p TV.

MaulerX

Have you guys seen this company that can customize your X1S to any color you want? Expensive as hell, but cool as hell.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/get-non-white-xbox-one-s-console

http://www.colorware.com/p-674-xbox-one-s.aspx

That's the link to the actual company that does it. It's super cool just playing with the color options!

Why wouldn't they advertise the AC?!?
&#55358;&#56596;&#55358;&#56596;&#55358;&#56596;

This thing just keeps on giving doesn't it?

SaganIsGOAT

I'm SOOOO close to pulling the trigger on the newegg eBay bundle cause I'll just flip halo, doom, and QB. Hmmmmmmmm

Edit. It's gone &#128557;

Returned my Amazon order and got the one from newegg on ebay. No tax, 3 AAA games (that I already had), and the ebay coupon from selling my last Xbox. It was a no brainer. Sending my Amazon order back...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The XBO S is sounding more delicious by the minute.

Loving the hardware they packed in.

I'm not too trusting of Seagate drives but I take the spinpoints are their flagship hdds?

Oh wait Samsung and Seagate worked on this hdd? Hmm

vg260

So I picked up my preordered console yesterday and loving the size and weight. I was able to put it inside my entertainment center now that it is much smaller. Checked out the settings and my receiver and TV give me full support for all the options excluding the 4K HDR at 50 Hz. I popped in the Max Max 4K disc and checked out the first 10 minutes which looked amazing. Very glad that I skipped the stand alone players and waited for this instead.

How do you vent the air coming out of the top of the console? Is it in an enclosed space?

I have a cabinet, and since I can't vent out the back even with a cutout, I have my current Xbox One sitting on top. I've wondered what people do for this.

bidguy

Banned
Guys, does the console reduce the black crush problem? I haven't got it but a friend of mine does, and he kept the original one too. He took some screenshots at GoW with both consoles, and Xbox One S ones look to be slightly different. Here they are:

OGX1:
twOkVK.png

X1S:
k7x59g.png

OGX1:
h3JkOu.png

X1S:
gDQWIj.png

is this confirmed ?

i'm still not sure how HDR gaming is going to work with us that have newer 4k tvs, like the LG OLEDs and Samsung KS8xxx series. To get the lowest input lag on these, you need to enter game mode, so will the tv manufacturers have to do a software update to allow HDR in game mode?

Cleve

The XBO S is sounding more delicious by the minute.

Loving the hardware they packed in.

I'm not too trusting of Seagate drives but I take the spinpoints are their flagship hdds?

Oh wait Samsung and Seagate worked on this hdd? Hmm

The failure issues with seagate drives in consumer use are grossly overstated. Backblaze's testing completely misrepresents drive failures under normal usage.

That said, samsung sold their hdd division to seagate about 4 years ago now.

keezy

The Xbox One: S has me back on the Xbox hype train.

My 2TB system came in yesterday. I have my entire library (MCC included) on the system which is pretty convenient.

EA access also seems to have expanded their library. Have a few games to check out on that list!

OGX1:
twOkVK.png

X1S:
k7x59g.png

OGX1:
h3JkOu.png

X1S:
gDQWIj.png

That looks more like an in-game gamma adjustment than the typical black crush you would see on an early Xbox One game. Also, Gears Ultimate never had black crush issues in the first place.

Cleve

As an FYI, I did not see your response until just now or I would have waited, but I just processed my order with support over chat, so it looks like they are taking them now. They said please allow 5-7 days for delivery.

Awesome, thanks. I'll get back in touch with support.

Heidern98

How do you vent the air coming out of the top of the console? Is it in an enclosed space?

I have a cabinet, and since I can't vent out the back even with a cutout, I have my current Xbox One sitting on top. I've wondered what people do for this.

It doesn't have a door on the front and I keep it right on the front edge. It has more than double the height of the whole console so I feel like it should be good.

dcx4610

It's a settings issue. RBG Full is intended for PC monitors while RBG Limited is made for even modern TVs. Your TV has a setting for Limited and Full but it's not really "Full". It's just converting 0-255 or 16-255.

If you set your TV to Limited and the Xbox to limited, you'll have no black crush and everything will look proper. If you set the Xbox to Full while your TV is limited, everything will be faded. If you set the TV to Full and the Xbox to Full (makes sense), you'll get black crush because the TV even though is set to Full, is doing the auto-conversion to 16-255 and clipping the blacks.

If you're lucky, your TV will have a "Auto" mode for RGB. Set the Xbox One to Limited and the TV will do all of the work for you and you'll never get crushed blacks.

Ive caught the fever, I have to keep telling myself, you already have an OG Xbox One, and you dont have a 4k TV, Please do not buy this.........yet. This is so hard,

Heidern98

Your PS4 is suffocating though.
I'm not at home right now to double check exactly how deep that section is, but based on looking at the furniture specs it seems like about 9" clearance behind the system. I could probably stand to move the WiiU but I haven't really noticed a whole lot of heat pouring out. Then again my sofa is far away and I play a lot of digital games so I don't always go near it when I play.

Either way, I have a 2 year protection warranty from the store so I should be ok I think. :)

It's a settings issue. RBG Full is intended for PC monitors while RBG Limited is made for even modern TVs. Your TV has a setting for Limited and Full but it's not really "Full". It's just converting 0-255 or 16-255.

If you set your TV to Limited and the Xbox to limited, you'll have no black crush and everything will look proper. If you set the Xbox to Full while your TV is limited, everything will be faded. If you set the TV to Full and the Xbox to Full (makes sense), you'll get black crush because the TV even though is set to Full, is doing the auto-conversion to 16-255 and clipping the blacks.

If you're lucky, your TV will have a "Auto" mode for RGB. Set the Xbox One to Limited and the TV will do all of the work for you and you'll never get crushed blacks.

Good looking out, that made a huge difference for me..everything looks the way it should be.

Man oh man, Until Dawn was killing me LoL.

Aren't we supposed to be able to buy Backwards Compatable 360 games on the Xbox Store? When I search for the games I want to buy they say "Currently Unavailable" where the Buy button should be.

ZOONAMI

What is the deal with the terrible amazon app on Xbox? Is the 4k stuff available on amazon prime for anyone? I can't find anything, and stuff that I know is 4k on my roku 4 is showing no indication of being 4k on the xbox.

dLMN8R

Can someone help explain the wi-fi stuff to me?

The original Xbox One already supported 5GHz Wi-Fi connections, which is why it works so much better for me on wi-fi than my PS4 which can only connect to 2.4GHz networks.

What does AC bring on top of that?

vg260

Your PS4 is suffocating though.

I'm not at home right now to double check exactly how deep that section is, but based on looking at the furniture specs it seems like about 9" clearance behind the system. I could probably stand to move the WiiU but I haven't really noticed a whole lot of heat pouring out. Then again my sofa is far away and I play a lot of digital games so I don't always go near it when I play.

Either way, I have a 2 year protection warranty from the store so I should be ok I think. :)

Generally speaking though, is that even enough space? Doesn't the hot air just remain in that area since for either system it's not venting outward?

grizzelye

The original Xbox One already supported 5GHz Wi-Fi connections, which is why it works so much better for me on wi-fi than my PS4 which can only connect to 2.4GHz networks.

AC is 3x faster than N.

AC = 1300Mbps*
N = 450Mbps*
*Theoretical Speeds, Megabits Per Sec

Transfer Speeds:
AC 1meter = 90Mbps
AC 10meter = 70Mbps
AC 20meter behind two solid walls = 50Mbps

N 1meter = 30Mbps
N 10meter = 20Mbps
N 20meter behind two solid walls = 5-10Mbps

*edit think it may go faster. Above was from Forbes contributor. But basically AC is marketed as being able to give up to 1Gb wireless connectivity. While N is up to 500Mb give or take :p

lynux3

AC is 3x faster than N.

AC = 1300Mbps*
N = 450Mbps*
*Theoretical Speeds, Megabits Per Sec

Transfer Speeds:
AC 1meter = 90Mbps
AC 10meter = 70Mbps
AC 20meter behind two solid walls = 50Mbps

N 1meter = 30Mbps
N 10meter = 20Mbps
N 20meter behind two solid walls = 5-10Mbps
Interesting. I'm about 20 meters away on N yet I pull more than 50Mbps. You don't need AC to stream 4K Netflix plain and simple.

gt86

What is the deal with the terrible amazon app on Xbox? Is the 4k stuff available on amazon prime for anyone? I can't find anything, and stuff that I know is 4k on my roku 4 is showing no indication of being 4k on the xbox.

I noticed the same thing last night. Shows that are uhd on my TVs app isn't showing at all on the xbone. Maybe the app will update soon?

dcx4610

The simplest answer is it's the newest wireless standard. If you used 5GHz before, you have AC router.

The Xbox One S is just stating that it supports the AC/5GHz range.

etta

my hard graphic balls

The simplest answer is it's the newest wireless standard. If you used 5GHz before, you have AC router.

The Xbox One S is just stating that it supports the AC/5GHz range.

Errrrrrr, not necessarily. I have 2.4/5GHz but my router only goes up to N.

Another thing you have to consider is that 2.4GHz has better range than 5GHz. But if your Xbox is close to the router than yea always use the 5GHz channel since it's less congested.

It takes some force to put the stand in, but it's important to try to put it in evenly. It also takes some force to take the stand out. And yes, doing it incorrectly could break it pretty easily. Evenly pushing the stand out on both sides (using both thumbs) is the way to go.
I got it off. Took some force to get the sucker out but I did it without breaking anything thank god

And all those people asked why we were getting revised consoles this year with 4k features... and look at all the TVs and UHDs being sold. I'm also pulling the trigger on a 4k set today, and I don't even really want one.

When the Neo hits it'll kick into overdrive.

Top Bottom