• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Well I had originally cancelled my 2TB order for the cheaper 500GB Halo bundle to save $100.

Now I ended up cancelling that pre-order so I could buy this deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291835565889

Xbox One S 2TB + Halo 5 + DOOM + Quantum Break for $400. Even better if you got the 10% back targeted offer from eBay (I didn't) but even without it you get $8 back in eBay bucks.

Seems like a pretty legit bundle considering
God dammit shackles, god freaking dammit. I don't need this shit. I have 2 PS4's and 1 XB1 and a PC that I just play everything on anyway that I spent too much on.

I put it in my cart twice, removed it twice, researched HDR movies out, saw the ones I would like to see, read reviews, literally said "Fuck it" and put the One S in the cart and hit pay now. Now I have an XB1S, god dammit. Honestly it's the HDR support that tilted it, I got a 75 inch Samsung this year and it's not being used for anything 4K yet.

Damn you Shackles, you owe me money.

EDIT
I also bought this Dyson because it's a really great vacuum for the price and it's cordless.

Lowest it's been! Now I can CLEAN IN HDR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyson-V6-Mo...p_id=117&ipn=icep&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true

Matticers

I'm so tempted to buy that ebay One S bundle. But I sold my original Xbox One controller and replaced it with a lunar white that I don't want to lose. So I'd have to also buy a controller just so I can sell/trade in my old system. Which would kind of suck.

NXGamer

That's correct. I didn't claim otherwise, although looking back at my post I can see how it might seem like I did considering how I formulated it
Yes it did come across as that, and as I say the UHDP badge means you are covered on the base (10-Bit) HDR display

Your video seems to suggest that in order to feature HDR you need to support 90% of the P3 colour range as required the UHD premium badge. Hence my reply ;) Specifically at 8:30 in the video.
I do try and explain this clearly in that I am referring to the UHDP level of HDR for these sets and THIS needs to support the 90%. It also reads like that on my site "This is the minimum a TV set has to process to receive the HDR Premium consortium badge". but I do always try and be as concise and clear as possible so duly noted for future.

To keep things clearer I'd have kept the UHD premium badge out of the HDR talk and included it as a separate topic in the video just like the other topics. Now you're talking about HDR, HDR10, Dolby Vision and the UHD premium badge without any logical order in it and jumping between them. I'd start with HDR what it, explain it, and then mention the two competing standards and how they differ. After all that I'd start talking about the UHD premium badge and how the HDR requirements for it.

Disclaimer: I've only watched the HDR part.

Thanks, I do split this off and specifically mention the Dolby Standard and how the X1S is 10-Bit and not Dolby supported. But again thanks for the feedback.

dcx4610

For folks with the new controller, do the bumpers feel really mushy on yours?

I'm coming from a lunar white controller and those bumpers were much improved from the launch controller. The new ones feel like a step backwards.

Mine are the same. I guess it depends on if you prefer clicky vs. soft. I personally hate clicky buttons so I think the bumpers feeling softer is an improvement. I just wish they would have done the same to the d-pad.

I think the bumpers are more in line with the triggers now.

BoZZ0

Picked it up at Best Buy a couple of hours ago. Anecdotal evidence: seems to be selling briskly. Got Rare Replay and Master Chief Collection coming on Friday.

KuciwB5.jpg

Hope you enjoy it, Sunset is still one of my favorit games this gen! and Halo 5s Multiplayer is SO good!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That ebay bundle is in my fucking cart god dammit, fuck.

It's looking at me. Harshly.

F u guys for bringing this shit up, Fuuuuuuck

Edit - Heeeeeelp meeeee, I don't need this right now

Wasn't planning on getting a Scorpio (my Xbox One is my exclusives-only/Dead Rising machine), so a lateral upgrade was fine. The fact this thing can fit into my entertainment center without overheating is a huge plus.

Haven't noticed it being any noisier than the original, and the new controller feels a bit better in a lot of ways.

And goddamn it's a nice looking console. Maybe the nicest I've ever owned, this side of the Vita 2000? PS4 Neo is gonna have to step up its aesthetic game
it doesn't have to obviously, but it'd be nice if it did

My Best Buy had at least six of these laying around by 5 PM, so I guess they're not exactly flying off shelves.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There is currently a bug with the Netflix app. On my Sony XBR Set as soon as I load the Netflix App it triggers the HDR mode, so everything is in HDR. Marco Polo looks fantastic in HDR that I tested last night, but the issue is that because the app is triggering HDR mode as you boot into the app, movies that are not HDR does not look good. The App should only be activating HDR when you begin to watch actual HDR content, not for everything. So the only current way to defeat this is to disable HDR from the Xbox S settings and this will force the Netflix app not to enable HDR mode. Not too big of a deal for now because there is not a lot of HDR content on Netflix, but lots of standard 4k content.

This does need to be fixed, because on many sets like my Sony, once HDR is triggered and activated by the system, you cannot change it in the TV menu system. Hope someone from MS is reading these issues and are sending them up the pipeline to be fixed.

I'm not seeing this bug but I can deactivate hdr on my Sony set - action.menu/display settings/advanced/color.

jfoul

Well I had originally cancelled my 2TB order for the cheaper 500GB Halo bundle to save $100.

Xbox One S 2TB + Halo 5 + DOOM + Quantum Break for $400. Even better if you got the 10% back targeted offer from eBay (I didn't) but even without it you get $8 back in eBay bucks.

I already have the 1TB Xbox One. Must resist GAF temptation.

fchQetV.gif

Hesemonni

Banned

Seeing the bundles you guys get I kinda wish you'd also get Trump just to keep the universe in balance.

Urishizu

Is anyone else having an issue where the screen appears to judder a bit every few seconds on 4k resolution only? I don't see it at 1080p. I'm on a Samsung KS8000. Only tested during games, but it happened in every game I try and within the OS.

b0bbyJ03

There will be. Next month with Forza Horizon 3. Gears 4 is next.

Oh man, that's exciting. I've seen HDR content and honestly it's a major leap forward imho. Hope this becomes a norm. I don't have an xb1 but once I buy my LG OLED I may get one just for the HDR capabilities

Dis Bundle 😲

Thanks for sharing! Amazon wouldn't match the bundle, of course, so I returned my unopened Xbox One S to Amazon and picked this up. I've beaten/own all of those games, but it will make hocking my white Xbox One a little easier.

My only real complaint is the placement of the front USB when it's standing up. Noise level seems to be about the same for me as the non S, which is great.

pitchfork

Ugh

Was holding out for the 500gb, but getting seriously tempted now to just dive straight in with the 2TB

Assuming I can find one in the UK that is..

Got mine yesterday and was having a ball until we went to watch a blu ray. It loaded and started stuttering to I closed and opened the app again and after that it wouldn't read any discs. Fun! Did a hard reset and it read a few games and then the disc drive promptly died again.

Anyone else having anything similar? Error code is pretty standard and affected a few of the original Xbones too so doesn't seem to be something strictly to do with the slim.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Welp.

And to top it off, I used my chase freedom to get a $150.00 discount because of promotion.

Hahahahaha, made out like a bandit.

$249.00 shipped for dat bundle, and I will sell those games.

FH3 can't come soon enough.

I'm so tempted to buy that ebay One S bundle. But I sold my original Xbox One controller and replaced it with a lunar white that I don't want to lose. So I'd have to also buy a controller just so I can sell/trade in my old system. Which would kind of suck.
Is that true? That seems crazy. Would be a deal breaker for me. Thinking about upgrading for UHD myself

nillapuddin

Holy shit that bundle.

I got all the way to the confirm purchase screen without even blinking.

Then I remembered, I have 100 Gamestop bucks and I am determined to spend them so I will never have to shop at that shithole again. Halo bundle, plz hurry.

Certinty

Why is the 500GB not up to preorder on almost every UK site?

Also cheapest way to upgrade from an original 500gb Xbox One? Would be nice to at least get £125 for it to make the S £125.

DirtyLarry

If you are seeing a screen like this, you have a setup issue.

I'm seeing this a lot today and it has to do with how 4K TV EDID's work.

1. Make sure you are connected to the correct input on your TV for 4K. Many sets only have one input that actually supports full UHD.
2. If you're using a receiver or AMP, make sure it supports 4K. Plug directly into the set to be sure.
3. Use the HDMI cable that came with the console.
I replied to your post yesterday about this with my setup.
I did all 3 steps and still got the same results.
Any suggestions?
As a poster suggested, I am not even sure what EDID is.

I cancelled my Amazon order last night to get in on the Newegg one. They both charge tax so I was getting 5% back on the Amazon or 60+ with Newegg when I sell the games. I just hope it will get here before the quoted August 10th date.

Heidern98

So I picked up my preordered console yesterday and loving the size and weight. I was able to put it inside my entertainment center now that it is much smaller. Checked out the settings and my receiver and TV give me full support for all the options excluding the 4K HDR at 50 Hz. I popped in the Max Max 4K disc and checked out the first 10 minutes which looked amazing. Very glad that I skipped the stand alone players and waited for this instead.

My only negative is that there are no HDR games on day one. They announced this at E3 but I would think that the developers would have had advanced notice of this new feature. I'm not really sure why MS wouldn't have HDR games ready for day one, or even patches to existing games to support it (would love to see what HDR could do to something like Ori). Is MS trying to keep the first HDR game release for themselves? Do they mandate that future game releases support it? I hope we get a good amount of content in the (near) future, but I can't be anything but disappointed with the initial showing.

Top Bottom