• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

Tsundere

Banned
Wmaaf6d.gif
Wmaaf6d.gif
Wmaaf6d.gif

By December Sony expects to sell 3 million in North America alone. It isn't farfetched that they will sell 1-2 million on Friday given that they are launching in 30 countries that day.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also I am sure titanfall will move units. Yes its a new IP but new IPs also tend to push units. If anything I think new IPs create more buzz cause its the "new next gen" thing on the "new next gen console".

I think its more of a question of how many units did the original halo end up pushing? Yes Halo was seminal as a console FPS but titanfall has immense buzz . It's multiplatform yes but its obvious from all the EA MS marketing that the focus is on pushing it as a xbox title.

Its not the second coming of half life but its definitely a big big deal and will push systems. I don't see anything similar from Sony so far. I don't anticipate Infamous pushing enough systems. Maybe driveclub or Order if Driveclub ends up really pushing social aspects well or Order if its this gen's GOW. But If I had to bet on which titles from the accounced ones are system sellers I would def say Titanfall. (This is ignoring late 2014 big names like Halo/Uncharted etc which will obviously push sales thru the roof especially if combined with a christmas price drop).

A couple of factors come into play here.

1) what momentum do the two consoles have? If Xbox is struggling and PS4 is flying off the shelves, then titanfall won't have a huge impact IMO - people will still want the 'hot' console.

2) what can Destiny do? If they can come out quickly, that is a damn strong mitigation for titanfall. Can't play the new hot shooter from the CoD guys? Then play the new hot shooter from the halo guys. That can take a lot of wind out of the titanfall sails

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Then its reasonable to assume therefore that they had shipped more than they sold. Microsoft - like Sony - presumably calculated the amount of units it sold by measuring how many had signed into their online network services using the device. I find that more likely than every retailer giving them a live feed of till sales of the unit.

MS have a responsibility to their shareholders. The idea that a corporation of this magnitude would effectively lie in public about their sales in an attempt to save-face to video game fanboys is absurd. Everyone expects the PS4 to sell more due to its price; Microsoft doesn't have to demonstrate sales parity during launch.

I imagine there are some people here who are just baffled as to why the rest of the public didn't care about resolutiongate and hardware differences as much as they themselves did.

This. If MS stated they sold a million, and there is stock on the shelves, then they simply shipped more than a million.

The potentially worrying thing is having stock on the shelves in the US. That suggests MS didn't sell through what they were predicting to. And that number was significantly less than 1m anyway due to their need to serve 12 other markets

djgrothe

Neo Member
Update: the third picture below comes from the West Hollywood Best Buy in Los Angeles, for those on the west coast that might want one as well, courtesy of N4G user JuniorCE.

This is wrongheaded. I was at this exact Best Buy this morning and they were sold out for walk in customers (as was every single BB, Target, Walmart, MS store, and Game Stop in a 50 mile radius of LA... my partner and I called them all -- dozens and dozens of stores -- and finally found a cancelled preorder at a Game Stop we were able to nab).

The stack of boxes they had behind the register at the West Hollywood Best Buy were all preorders that had not been picked up yet, and which they'll hold for a week before they're released. We asked several different employees if I could get one and was denied repeatedly. They won't release unclaimed preordered units until next Friday.

So the reason why I can't find an Xbox One in my area in Toronto is because MS sent them all to LA and NY?

Hope they realise they could have sold them faster if they were more equitable in their distribution.

It makes a certain degree of sense to overstock NY and especially LA. They're the centers for "new media" (even though that shouldn't be the case because geographic location doesn't matter much for new media, but for some reason all the YouTubers move to LA anyway...) so you ensure a lot more people making productive use of the sharing functions and generating good buzz if you get more sales there.

The systems are both relying on the internet to keep the hype machine rolling post-launch, though it's going to be interesting to see how their "Share" functions impact that. The Wii got over here in America mostly because of being all over the daytime TV circuit and receiving constant reinforcement in the consumer population because of that. Comparatively speaking, the PS3 and 360 were more gamer phenomena that didn't hold the public interest for long after the dust had settled. The ease of pushing content out to social media on the PS4 and XB1 could create a much longer tail for their initial sales hype.

We haven't really seen a launch previously that could fully utilize the effects of post-YouTube/Facebook social media. This could be one wild ride.

Tomcat

This is wrongheaded. I was at this exact Best Buy this morning and they were sold out for walk in customers (as was every single BB, Target, Walmart, MS store, and Game Stop in a 50 mile radius of LA... my partner and I called them all -- dozens and dozens of stores -- and finally found a cancelled preorder at a Game Stop we were able to nab).

The stack of boxes they had behind the register at the West Hollywood Best Buy were all preorders that had not been picked up yet, and which they'll hold for a week before they're released. We asked several different employees if I could get one and was denied repeatedly. They won't release unclaimed preordered units until next Friday.

you crashed the dreams of many here in this topic

vooglie

Stop and actually think about that for a second. If you're selling through your entire available stock, and apparently will for months to come, why does having stock available specifically for Black Friday matter?

Resist the mass hysteria for a moment. Look at it from the perspective of a foreigner who has no experience with Black Friday and doesn't understand what the fuss is about. Why exactly is it important that you sell all these consoles on this specific day if you could have already sold them all a week earlier? You aren't getting more sales, you're just delaying the ones you would have already gotten and putting yourself at risk of overstock due to intentionally creating an unnecessary snarl in your logistics.

And you're doing all of this... why? Because you want to post really high sales numbers on one "special" day instead of consistently good sales across the entire month?

Don't know if anyone has replied to this but I think it's to increase sales of peripherals and games. Consoles don't have much margin for retailers but accessories do and maybe Black Friday sales = more accessories sold?

They only pushed 140k units to the UK market? Wut.

Microsoft, I really don't think you want that many antsy FIFA and COD players not having bought an XB1 come Friday. The UK is a place where you could have dumped a massive stock and probably sold through it entirely, but I don't think those sales are just going to wait ripe on the vine until you get around to it...

RetroStu

Banned
Er why are some people acting like 140k sales in the UK is bad?, you know there are 6 times less people in the UK than in the US right?, thats like selling about 900k consoles in the US.

Er why are some people acting like 140k sales in the UK is bad?, you know there are 6 times less people in the UK than in the US right?, thats like selling about 900k consoles in the US.

Mainly because the PS3 with its atrocious launch problems sold 165,000 units at its launch in the UK. Back when pre-ordering systems was far less common. Not to mention the fact that the PS3 was harder to produce and thus had shortages

The UK is the only market where Microsoft is both launching first and had a more favorable reception coming into this. To me, it seems like an obvious place to drop a disproportionately large amount of hardware to get an early edge in public perception. It's also a place (with apologies to our UK gamers) where the ridiculous popularity of FIFA and CoD means that the new versions are likely to drive sales much more heavily than any console-specific sentiments, meaning that whoever has the most stock on shelves is likely to have the majority sales up for grabs.

I'd say they probably could have churned through a solid 300k first day sales in the UK due to launching first, but 100k of those sales are probably just going to go over to whichever unit people find on shelves first. They could be waving goodbye to them come Friday.

Melchiah

Xbox Live, voice control features, controller preference, etc.

All of that can make a person want to get an Xbox over the PS4 alongside of the content that will be on the Xbox One that won't be on the PS4. Same is true for the vice verse (though replace Xbox Live with PSN).

The bolded reminds me of this.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2013/11/polygon-exposed/
So yesterday’s little Twitter kerfluffle between Polygon’s Editor and Chief and myself pretty much exploded. A lot of people have complained about me calling the guy a liar, however someone edited together an awesome YouTube video containing the actual comments by Polygon spliced with ownage in the form of a video showing Xbox One and PS4 voice commands as well as my video of the remote with the PS4. When viewed in context you can see that they were willfully lying about one console to help the other. The video will be embedded at the end of this article.
PS4 No remote Capabilities? Xbox One Better Voice Recognition?:
http://youtu.be/1-IXV7SG26E

The PS4 offers voice control features as well, which seem to be working better at the moment than those of XB1.

No, it's not. I don't understand where this is coming from.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

I don't know what to say, except thank you. Thank you for reassuring me that there is at least one other person out there that gets this concept. It has baffled me for years, particularly how forced it is in the gaming industry by people who are supposedly critics and analysts.

I couldn't agree more. It makes me wonder where were all these paritymongers, when the PS3 was having hard time for strikingly similar reasons in the beginning of its life? Their absence then makes me think it's really not about the parity at all, but the fact that it's Microsoft's system that is the underdog now.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So, numbers are coming in for specific countries....140,000 - 150,000 for the UK...

When Sony launches in London....that might tell it all for the launch. MS is gonna have to have some serious games, gaming to survive this gen. Now with Elop in charge and hinting at getting rid of the XBox division....the Xbox One might become a collectors item.

PS4 No remote Capabilities? Xbox One Better Voice Recognition?:
http://youtu.be/1-IXV7SG26E

The PS4 offers voice control features as well, which seem to be working better at the moment than those of XB1.

Oh my.....and some ppl take some of these folks word as gospel....wow. Its amazing how some ppl try to spread falsehoods. Who were those 2 guys? Or specifically the one guy that was astronomically wrong? Ah I see it...they work for Polygon? Sad....sad

Melchiah

Right. Apart from that all the hype is coming from gamers & reporters that have been playing the game that has been demoed publicly since E3 (and garnered a shitton of awards). But I know, it's an exclusive for MS platforms, so that certainly doesn't count ;)

And how many of those reporters are also talking about balance, and not seeing the difference between resolutions, while they hype the game? Point being, it seems to me that the most eager hypers are those who are invested in the platform the most.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

This guy is right.

I would bold the whole thing if I could. Spot on.

I think some media outlets and personalities have fallen into this trap. It seems that some have disregarded their duties to their consumer audience, and have edited facts and figures to artificially create a more even race between PS4 and XBone. While some are doing it cynically to create more clicks (nobody clicks more than the fanboys,) I think others have done this because they've adopted these fake notions of competition and capitalism.

I would bold the whole thing if I could. Spot on.

You can, and someone should. It's so well stated and 100% true. Here, I'll do it:

Top Bottom