• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One specs from Hot Chips session (8GB Flash, 1.31TFlops, 204GB/s peak BW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rashid

Banned
the 8GB flash must be memory right? Is that memory set aside from the HDD used for recording the last 30 minutes of gameplay?

I'm more interested in these special processors they have on the chip that free up more CPU power. We know there's a powerful DSP in there, but what are the rest for?

iavi

MS extending that 4gb 360 speed advantage across the whole suite. That's good news.

Because of the flash memory on the 4gb 360, everything loaded so fast on the dashboard, I actually had no issues with its speed.

astraycat

Where is the flash memory mentioned? I see it neither in the slides nor the tweets.

Edit: found it. It's a tiny block in the bottom middle of the first diagram. How interesting.

Bsigg12

Maybe the 8 GB of flash are for the OS? Always have processes that are used frequently stored in flash so they can be called instantly?

velociraptor

I'm guessing PC is Gohan?
Nope.

KidBuuEvil01.png

PC is Majin Buu. He has an almost infinite reserve of power. Even at SSJ3 Goku was no match for Majin Buu.

So:
PC: Buu
PS4: Goku
Xbox: Vegeta
Wii U: Krillin

Shambles

I'm more interested in these special processors they have on the chip that free up more CPU power. We know there's a powerful DSP in there, but what are the rest for?

Distracting us from the fact that the system is clearly underpowered when comparing to the PS4.

This confirms much of the specs we already knew. PS4 is still significantly more powerful due to more CU's, more ROP's & GDDR5 bandwidth.

The most important bit of new information is the die size: a large 363 sq mm
For comparison, the AMD 7970 (Tahiti) was 352 sq mm when it launched.

Given the large die size, it's easy to understand why Microsoft may have yield & supply issues in the near term.

The XB1's audio processor is awesome.

Suck on THAT fanboys.

As said before, the flash is really interesting and new (to me).
But that is a high risk, no?

I am thinking it's gonna be used for either the os, or for games like rage for texture loading. Remember the huge difference an ssd vs hdd provided for the ps3 when playing rage? The textures loaded instantly. So if it's not used for os then developers could take advantage of that 8gb flash cache.

Distracting us from the fact that the system is clearly underpowered when comparing to the PS4.
I don't care about the comparison between the ps4. We know its more powerful primarily due to the beefier GPU. I'm interested in soley the tech, so I can learn some new shit on how these things operate. The ps4 vs xbone e-penis war is nonsense.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow, Xbone main APU is a beast, no wonder they had so much trouble with it. Chip is larger than Radeon 7970, but its [much smaller] GPU section is clocked much lower and they spent a metric shitton of transistors on ESRAM. If they went with chip of this size and unified GDDR5 ram, they could have made 2x more powerful console than they have now. But, long time ago they made a bet to go with DDR3 and had to insert big onchip cache.

Everything else was rumored from before. Good audio chop, and a obvious GPU processing disadvantage when compared to PS4.

the 8GB flash must be memory right? Is that memory set aside from the HDD used for recording the last 30 minutes of gameplay?

Xbone supports 5 minutes of game recording. Recently that "upload studio" tutorial video confirmed it again. Flash memory will be used only for OS work, like storing a safe image file of a OS firmware and simmilar stuff. In cases of catastrophic failures, booting the console in some special mode will enable restoring of the OS to the HDD.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
ps4 = goku
X1 = vegeta

Odyssey = Master Mutaito
Atari 2600 = Master Roshi
Atari 5200 = Jackie Chun

NES = Master Roshi Training Goku
SNES = World Tournament Goku
N64 = King Kai Training Goku
Gamecube = Super Saiyan Goku
Wii = Super Saiyan Goku with Motion Controls
Wii U = Hyperbolic Time Chamber Goku (ascendant SSJ)

Master System = King Piccolo
Genesis = Piccolo Jr.
Saturn = Saiyan Saga Piccolo
Dreamcast = Nail Fusion Piccolo
Never lived long enough to fuse with Kami

PS1 = Saiyan Saga Vegeta
PS2 = SSJ Vegeta
PS3 = Hyperbolic Time Chamber Vegeta (ascendant SSJ)
PS4 = Majin Vegeta (SSJ2 + magical enchantment)

OG XBOX = SSJ Gohan
Xbox 360 = SSJ2 Gohan
Xbox One = Great Saiyaman
Xbox 180 = Mystic Training Gohan (can only reach full Mystic potential with the Cloud)

Ouya = Videl

velociraptor

Wrong. Majin Buu was eventually defeated
with the combined power of the peasants
Precisely. Hence, PC = Buu.

On their own, they are no match. Only if the 'peasants' work together (consoles) they can beat Buu (PC) (console ports holding back PC's true power)

At SSJ3 Goku gives Buu a good run for his money, but Buu is still too strong. Consider how KZSF stands up against Crysis 3 for example. :p

edit: Haven't seen the new DBZ movie so don't know who Bills is.

So no more 3Gb used for OS?
I don't think so.

No, Flash is fast, but still not near fast enough to use as system memory. They could though use the flash to store the OS as a whole, thus making for very quick loads to OS functions. The 3GB reserve is for simultaneous OS operations. They could loosen that up in the future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom