• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X - Available November 7 for $499

I've been wondering why Microsoft choose to advertise the One X as "True 4K" after seeing so many people talking about how it can't hit "native 4K" for every game.

It literally just hit me that they chose that because of the One S. I didn't realize that the One S can upscale games and 1080p movies for a 4K TV...

Damn... Mind blown.

Theorry

I've been wondering why Microsoft choose to advertise the One X as "True 4K" after seeing so many people talking about how it can't hit "native 4K" for every game.

It literally just hit me that they chose that because of the One S. I didn't realize that the One S can upscale games and 1080p movies for a 4K TV...

Damn... Mind blown.

Yeah i kept saying that for days now. With the whole backslash. People thinking its a jab towards PS4 Pro etc. Its more the make the differnce clear of the Xbox One S and Xbox One X because they indeed keep saying "upscaled 4k" when talking about the S.

DFox

Can some one list all the exclusives Phil Spencer promised in the beginning of Microsoft briefing. I have list of 18 so far.

Gladly! Xbox rewards just gives you free currency for buying digital games. They also offer "missions" for buying certain games that I rarely take part in. It's free to sign up and then you just check in every now and then, do a survey once a month and see if the missions work for you.

As for Bing rewards, you sign into Bing with the Microsoft account you use on your Xbox. If you do the daily site/mobile searches every day you can get about $10 in Xbox credit per month granted they don't run any promos. They also offer quizzes and daily bonus points that can push you towards getting more. Based on their point conversions, you can also save up and get a year of Xbox Live Gold for the same amount of points as about $35 in store credit.

You're also allowed to have up to six accounts per household, so I just have some friends/family that made accounts and let me manage/use them. I only do five atm but they give me the rewards I earn and I generally get at least $50 per month in store cash. Only slight hiccup for some is that you need to use Edge to get some of the extra points offers. Shouldn't be a problem for most though.

Yeah, I use Bing nearly exclusively for search. Occasionally I will take time to do the quizzes and earn extra points, but really, it's mostly just from using Bing the way I used to use Google. Add in rewards for buying and playing games, another many just kind of adds up. I'm a bit over $60 banked right now. Will buy something sooner or later.

My PS4 gathers dust because all IU really want to play is MLB The Show, and they kind of dropped the ball on it this year. My wife is playing Persona 5. I started Uncharted 4, as it came free with my console, and it is very good.

But honestly, I am a victim of MS's strategy of Input One. I can bounce between TV, games, and streaming services nearly instantly. I may switch with voice, or use a controller, or even the Xbox media remote. I can get, and send, messages while watching TV. And since Windows Sonic has been enabled, it's perfect for watching TV late at night with headphones, any headphones, to get virtual 7.1 sound.

Yep, the PS4 has games, but the Xbox One S is a damn near perfect entertainment hub. It's taking Microsoft far longer this gen to get it down just right, but since Mattrick left, the console has become a my favorite ever. Can't wait to upgrade to the X1X.

Same here! Have an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. The Pro is strictly used for exclusives. Everything else is Xbox One S. The Elite controller, Xbox Live, Achievement system, backward compatibility and vastly superior library management all plays a part in this.

The Xbox One X just adds to this for me.

This is such a great post, and so simple to understand. For the life of me I cannot figure out why some people just can't comprehend why someone else can prefer these things.

Damn... Mind blown.

There's actually a real reason why MS advertises with "True 4K" instead of others. I'll have to dig around and find it, but from what I remember, it was more marketable and "native 4K" just doesnt have that umph like the word TRUE.

ManUtd78

Neo Member
This is such a great post, and so simple to understand. For the life of me I cannot figure out why some people just can't comprehend why someone else can prefer these things.

True got systems but PS4 my exclusive system whole UI very basic despite better spec than xb1s love DS4 pad for FPS games but Elite pad so superior not even close

Mrbob

Ok I missed it in the op, see it now. 1tb HDD plus 8gb flash. Is that a one hybrid drive then? So data most used goes automatically to flash drive.

killroy87

Any idea why none of the retailers have them up for pre-order yet? Seems like a missed opportunity.

Something about it not having passed FCC regulations yet. And I agree, I actually think it's a bit damaging. For such a luxury item, giving consumers an excess of time to come to their senses and realize it might not be necessary isn't the best idea :p

I wonder if this console makes more sense for a 1080p user Than the pro?

Like the pro wont let you Downscale for certain games, few games with 1080p all Bell and Whistles option etc

If so, might get rid of my ps4 for this..hmm!

Anything been Said in this regards?

SpotAnime

Like the pro wont let you Downscale for certain games, few games with 1080p all Bell and Whistles option etc

I would say for the technology, yes; at that price point, no.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

downscaling is a really nice advantage. If the target for games going forward is 4K and that's an option it's going to improve everything on a 1080p screen.

Amerzel

Neo Member
http://www.gamepur.com/news/26976-amazon-xbox-one-pre-order.html

Microsoft's Albert Penello today revealed the exact reason behind why Xbox One X pre-order hasn't started yet. Speaking to our friend at Gamertag Radio:

"We are a long way away from launch. So I think we wanted to have a really strong E3 around talking about the product and talking about the games. We are going to do pre-orders closer to launch, I think we are going to have some fun stuff to talk about with pre-orders that we haven't talked about now."

Sounds like it might be awhile before they start taking pre-orders.

I know you guys think I'm nuts but X will outsell S this Holiday (if supplies are available). I think people underestimate the demand from their core alone. Going forward after the holidays is S.

i don't think i'd be so bold as that, but i definitely don't think you're completely nuts here.

i mean, i know this is anecdotal, but the people i know who bought xbones this gen are people who are firmly entrenched in halo [or some other pillar franchise, like forza or gears], regardless of how much better the ps4 has been doing hardware & content wise this time around.

i'm pretty much automatically buying one because i know my halo will be crisper to play, and that's all i needed to know - fuck the price difference i couldn't care less.

keep in mind, as DF rightly suggested in one of their latest videos, the one x offering more options for 1080p users might force sony's hand to do the same with the pro.

i just think it's good for both camps for either side to be upping their game like this.

Hawk269

http://www.gamepur.com/news/26976-amazon-xbox-one-pre-order.html

Sounds like it might be awhile before they start taking pre-orders.

I wonder what they are planning. Saying they are going to have some fun with Pre-orders, perhaps we may be getting a little something extra if you pre-order. Oh, I know it will be a special Xbox One X Achievement! lol

Hopefully, if the reason for delaying pre-orders is true, I hope they do plan on doing something unique.

Hawk269

Microsoft just doesn't have the exclusives to warrant purchasing this console. The third party improvements will be minor IMO.

Then don't. And if you think 3rd party improvements are going to be minor, I think you are going to be in for a rude awakening. A lot of people seem to think getting to 4k native or even checkerboard to 4k and calling it a day is going to be the norm...I think with the extra RAM and other improvements, we are going to see more substantial improvements. I don't think MS would of thrown 4 extra GB of RAM and went with such a high speed bandwidth for nothing. I think devs will use those extra resources, sure some more than others, but to make a satinet that there will minor improvements is naive at this point.

Then don't. And if you think 3rd party improvements are going to be minor, I think you are going to be in for a rude awakening. A lot of people seem to think getting to 4k native or even checkerboard to 4k and calling it a day is going to be the norm...I think with the extra RAM and other improvements, we are going to see more substantial improvements. I don't think MS would of thrown 4 extra GB of RAM and went with such a high speed bandwidth for nothing. I think devs will use those extra resources, sure some more than others, but to make a satinet that there will minor improvements is naive at this point.

I just don't see why any of the 3rd party companies would go the extra mile to make the Xbox One X versions of games look substantially better. I totally agree that 1st party games will look better, but what reason do these 3rd party devs have? Sony has 60m consoles out there.

gamz

I just don't see why any of the 3rd party companies would go the extra mile to make the Xbox One X versions of games look substantially better. I totally agree that 1st party games will look better, but what reason do these 3rd party devs have? Sony has 60m consoles out there.

Okay, so if you aren't interested in their exclusives and don't think 3rd parties will be any better why in the world are you in this thread?

Okay, so if you aren't interested in their exclusives and don't think 3rd parties will be any better why in the world are you in this thread?

To give my opinion. To see if someone could have a response that might change my mind? Why respond when you have nothing worthwhile to say?

Lima

There is this thing called PC version which pretty much every multi plat also releases on. They have already done the work on better effects, higher quality shadows, higher quality assets etc.

And given everything we have heard about how quick it is to get games up and running on this it doesn't seem like a lot of effort to figure out which settings from the pc version you can copy over.

Interesting.

How about is you pre-order, you get to use the Console Design labs to custom make your launch X?

Zero chance. They are doing a worldwide launch. Can't have custom options for that.
They won't even have different configurations like bigger HDD.

Hawk269

I think it will come down to how hard and/or easy it is to do. From all accounts the SDK for the Xbox One X is pretty good and devs have been able to get engines running on it within days/1week or so. In addition if a dev has higher assets on the PC version of the game they are working on, it would not be hard for them to put it on the Xbox One X because of the extra memory. I am not a dev, so I may be speaking above my weight class, but it just seems logical that if you already made/created the better assets for the PC, why would they not use them? I could see why they would not on the PRO because it only has 1/2gig more than a standard PS4, but with XBX having 3.5gigs more than the PRO it just makes it easier for devs.

I know it is not a big example, but Zenimax have already stated that the they are looking to make ESO 4k/30fps for XBX which is the same on the PRO, but the will also be adding in the extra features of the PRO 1080p version. If a user on the PRO version wants they can choose to run 4k/30fps or 1080p with enhancements, what Zenimax is doing is making these enhancements for the XBX in 4k. While there is a massive gulf in sales like you stated, this is one example where a dev is at least doing something "extra" even though there are more PS4 family systems out there. Personally, I hope they also add in the higher res textures that the PC version of ESO has as well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am interested in this for sure, but the price has me turned off.

$500 for a system barely better than the PS4 Pro just doesn't seem like as good of a deal.

I think it will come down to how hard and/or easy it is to do. From all accounts the SDK for the Xbox One X is pretty good and devs have been able to get engines running on it within days/1week or so. In addition if a dev has higher assets on the PC version of the game they are working on, it would not be hard for them to put it on the Xbox One X because of the extra memory. I am not a dev, so I may be speaking above my weight class, but it just seems logical that if you already made/created the better assets for the PC, why would they not use them? I could see why they would not on the PRO because it only has 1/2gig more than a standard PS4, but with XBX having 3.5gigs more than the PRO it just makes it easier for devs.

I know it is not a big example, but Zenimax have already stated that the they are looking to make ESO 4k/30fps for XBX which is the same on the PRO, but the will also be adding in the extra features of the PRO 1080p version. If a user on the PRO version wants they can choose to run 4k/30fps or 1080p with enhancements, what Zenimax is doing is making these enhancements for the XBX in 4k. While there is a massive gulf in sales like you stated, this is one example where a dev is at least doing something "extra" even though there are more PS4 family systems out there. Personally, I hope they also add in the higher res textures that the PC version of ESO has as well.

Fair point, I guess I'm just being a pessimist. I sold my Xbox One towards the purchase of my Switch. I was planning to buy an Xbox One X until i saw their E3 showing, which really didn't show any AAA exclusives outside of Forza and Sea Of Thieves.. I'd be down to buy it again if they can show me substantial improvements with their 3rd party games.

EvB

Fair point, I guess I'm just being a pessimist. I sold my Xbox One towards the purchase of my Switch. I was planning to buy an Xbox One X until i saw their E3 showing, which really didn't show any AAA exclusives outside of Forza and Sea Of Thieves.. I'd be down to buy it again if they can show me substantial improvements with their 3rd party games.

What is substantial? I mean both Assasins Creed and Anthem were shown running on XbX

There will be an official trade-in program for One X, at least in Germany: http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/xbox...estar&utm_content=Xbox One X - Umtauschaktion

They don't know the details yet.

HELLO

Edit: Google Translate

When, how, where is still unclear

Boris Gojic and Maxi Gräff from Xbox Germany explained in a Facebook-Live questionnaire about the new Xbox that they planned an action together with partners in the trade, but there were no concrete details. They wanted to plan everything so that it would be easiest for the players and the best to deal with.

Hawk269

I am interested in this for sure, but the price has me turned off.

$500 for a system barely better than the PS4 Pro just doesn't seem like as good of a deal.

Huh?

12gb vs 8gb
6TF vs 4.2TF
326gb/s bandwidth vs. 218gb/s bandwidth

But yeah it is "barely" better.

That is not taking into account a host of other things. I get some people's feelings are being hurt because something much better spec wise comes along, but to refer to it as "barely" is not giving it enough credit.

Hawk269

Pink Xbox?

You know, I really wish MS would make a pink chassis

While it would be cool, I don't think I could wait for the turnaround time of them making it customizable for me. Don't the controllers have like a 6+ week lead time from the time you order and receive it?

I would love if they do go this route, let me customize the HDD and have them add in a SSD instead, Elite controller (also customizable). I plan on getting 2 Xbox One X (one for the Wife) and I will just use hers until my custom version comes in...lol

Huh?

12gb vs 8gb
6TF vs 4.2TF

That is not taking into account a host of other things. I get some people's feelings are being hurt because something much better spec wise comes along, but to refer to it as "barely" is not giving it enough credit.
Have fun drooling over your spec sheets, i guess...

cucuchu

I would say by holiday 2018 you will see tities getting optimal utilization out of the X1X. No harm in waiting to purchase, especially if none of the games that are highlighted to take advantage of it this year interest you.

Huh?

12gb vs 8gb
6TF vs 4.2TF

dont worry about specs. unless the games are gonna look amazing the end user will see its "barely" better.

When you look at stuff like horizon and god of war you understand why.

Top Bottom