• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Freesync Support

Colbert

Banned
For how long have you owned it? Any burn in issues?

I own it now for about 2 months I see no burn in issues. Most apps provide switch into a screen saver mode if there is a static image on screen for a longer time. At least Amazon and Netflix app do so on my TV. My Xbox One S also lowers brightness after a certain amount of time. So again no: No burn in issues so far.

The black, I can tell you .... and HDR holy cow

RootCause

This is one thing I'd like to know more about. I hope devs include a cap off option for all games.

You can get large Freesync displays right now (as monitors) just not from the major manufacturers.
Although LG have just announced a 43inch display that has freesync.
Depends on you definition of large. For me , large is 60" and up, 43-50" medium, anything below that is small.

Frostman

Just imagine how much extra TV manufacturers will add on for this feature to their TVs on top of the premium for 4K, HDR.

Don't get me started on that.

I prefer monitors, but the only 4K HDR (1000nits) monitors coming up have G Sync, except Dells...... which doesn't have G Sync or Freesync. The fact that they are also all priced at £2K isn't very welcoming either.

Getting at TV or Monitor which can support all of these features is going to be a nightmare, I guarantee.

You'll be lucky to get one for a decent price by the time summer 2018 hits.

I think you should be cautious about what MS is saying until support is actually confirmed by externals. Just look at how they touted VR support but then back paddled on it.
Microsoft PR and its "true 4k" statement is another one and yet two of the biggest titles demonstrated was using checkerboard rendering for its 4k images.

They didn't play up VR support like you're suggesting. They said they would support VR, period. They didn't even say they would at launch and it sounded like they would be supporting other manufacturer's devices (HTC, Oculus etc) instead of their own. VR is coming, but isn't their main focus right now.

They also didn't lie about the X being a "true 4k" console. They said they built a console that could do true 4k, but it's up to the developers to use that power however they want. That means a lot of developers are going to go for checkerboard techniques so they have more room for effects etc.

Seriously, you're out spinning Fox News here.

Frostman

You can get large Freesync displays right now (as monitors) just not from the major manufacturers.
Although LG have just announced a 43inch display that has freesync.

But the problem is that it HAS to be Freesync over HDMI. 99% of current monitors only support Freesync over DP.

Edit: I also believe that DF said it is Freesync 2. There is literally 3 monitors at the minute that supports that standard, 1 being UW and the other 2 being 1440p (Not 4K, which is what we want)

Lorul2

I guess my point wasn't taken here. They go out with arrogant statements claiming only the Xbox One X can do "true 4k" and compare the PS4 Pro to Xbox One S, but then fails to provide the demonstration of that "true 4k" they use in their marketing in actual demos. It comes off as arrogant and disingenuous when there is little evidence in the titles they claimed was "true 4k" actually native 4k. I'll still get it, but I don't like their marketing here.

Wow, every time I read post like this it make Phil Spencer look better and better. "Their arrogant statements" are TRUE statements. How can I explain to you that Microsoft never said 3rd parties are forced to do native 4K.

I know I will let Eurogamer do it:

If we take Microsoft's statements at face value, there's no reason why all titles that run at 1080p on Xbox One shouldn't run at native 4K - and the Forza Motorsport demo I saw presents some compelling evidence to support this. But it's perhaps the 900p third-party games (where base PS4 typically hits full 1080p) that will be more illuminating. Microsoft says that while the porting work will be more involved, these too should hit native 4K. However, just like PS4 Pro, the GPU has hardware support for checkerboarding and other pixel-efficient techniques, which Microsoft expects to see rolled out on the small amount of games on Xbox One that drop beneath 900p.

shpankey

not an idiot
The way it works is, at least on my Gsync monitor (144hz, but supports 120hz, 60hz, 30hz and 24hz) is, the driver (should) implement Vsync and the game itself has Vsync disabled in software (which is the correct implementation, for those of you w/o one of these). So if your monitor is set to one of the above Hz, the game will never exceed this framerate and will be smooth and tear free anywhere where the frames are between its bottom level (there is a floor on this where Freesync no longer works, but shouldn't be a problem for a console, Freesync 2 addresses this issue, I believe) and the cap of your monitor setting (144hz is common, but could be set to 60hz if you so chose). The problem I see here is, the XB1X doesn't have software to set the monitor, so this will have to be done by the console automatically. They may choose 60Hz... we'll have to see, or more likely, this will be selectable in the XB1X settings under the video options, assuming they have the OS detect your monitors capabilities. But the point being, the frames will never exceed your monitor's hz setting (when setup correctly).

Also, by doing this, typically a game will gain average frames per second... so a higher framerate, higher framerate average and higher lowest framerate, without tearing, up to your monitor's Hz setting.

And just to add, just b/c your monitor is running at 144hz or 120hz or 60hz, doesn't mean the framerate needs to be that high, w/ freesync the game could run at 36 fps and vary up and down between 30 and 60 on a 144hz monitor, but the point of freesync is that it will run at a higher framerate by default and be as SMOOTH AS BUTTER w/ improved input response and no visual tearing, no matter what FPS the game is running at.

My guess is you will select the resolution and Hz settings in the video settings of the console and this will hard cap any game at that FPS as the upper limit, but it will be unlocked up to that point. So games that are set to normally run at 30fps will vary between that and your set limit, not that you will be able to tell, at all... it will just be smooth, jitter free w/o tearing and you will get the input response improvements as well (not to be undersold, as I don't see that mentioned but is definitely a benefit).

I have a Gsync monitor and the dips below 60 are smoothed out but it is still noticeable and still impacts gameplay and my enjoyment of the game. Basically don't put too much stock in these technologies because imo there use is far more noticeable in framerates above 60 due to the elimination of tearing.

Ive found that it is game and genre dependent. Some games seem to make the dips more noticeable, especially FPS games wherein dips below 50fps are very noticeable. I also found GTA 5 when in car and Witcher 3 seemed to be very noticeable when on horseback when dropping below 55fps, whereas other games such as AC titles can drop as low as 40-45fps and the dips arent really that noticeable.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Ive found that it is game and genre dependent. Some games seem to make the dips more noticeable, especially FPS games wherein dips below 50fps are very noticeable. I also found GTA 5 when in car and Witcher 3 seemed to be very noticeable when on horseback when dropping below 55fps, whereas other games such as AC titles can drop as low as 40-45fps and the dips arent really that noticeable.
That might have something to do with the amount of motion at the time of the drop. If you're taking in 80fps of fast motion and it drops to 50 the next frame, your brain will notice that in a big way because the motion will stop for a relatively large amount of time and your brain had to adjust. AC doesn't really have the really fast movement that driving in GTA does, so you're less likely to encounter a situation where you notice that in a big way.

Or maybe not, I could be wrong.

Lettuce

So with the news today that the XB1X will support 1440p displays with this Freesync feature work out of the box on freesync PC monitors?

arhra

So with the news today that the XB1X will support 1440p displays with this Freesync feature work out of the box on freesync PC monitors?

Most freesync monitors only support it via DisplayPort, which the Xbox obviously doesn't have, so I'm afraid not.

There are a few that support freesync over HDMI (using an AMD vendor extension to the spec), and it might work with those, if you can find one.

Top Bottom