• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio Pricing Discussion

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I strongly believe its going to be $400-$450MAX but reading through majority of the post yesterday and listening to podcasts where one guy from Gameinformer guessed $500-$650USD, Paul Thurrot from What The Tech guessed $600-$700USD. Even lot of people in Scorpio thread believes it will be $500-$600.

I feel completely out of loop. What is the reason for this assumption? It goes against all the good will Microsoft has been building since the orignal Xbox One reveal.

Releasing a console a lot more powerful than PS4 Pro a year later which costs ($150-$250) more. (Assuming Pro will be $350 with bundled game this holiday). Good thing costs more, isnt that a general rule of thumb on any part of the world? PS4 was popular because it was powerful and $100 cheaper on launch and same price after MS dropped kinect.

I still havent read a single post where $500-$600 is justifiable for this console and how it can succeed if its that expensive. And no Phil saying "Premium" doesnt mean anything. One S will be $200-$250 with bundled games by this holiday, you telling me scorpio will cost more than double that price? Come on now.

So what you guys think it will cost and why?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
#Team499

Just a guess of course. I'm not savvy with the cost of console parts but I do think it will be billed as a premium product. Anything more than that is lunacy.

Ideally it would be $400, but the way Microsoft is framing it as the premier premium gaming console of forever, I'd bet $450 minimum.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
#Team499

Just a guess of course. I'm not savvy with the cost of console parts but I do think it will be billed as a premium product. Anything more than that is lunacy.

Ideally it would be $400, but the way Microsoft is framing it as the premier premium gaming console of forever, I'd bet $450 minimum.

Isnt PS4 Pro premium? It was only $100 more. Does it has to cost double the base model to justify premium pricing?

$499 - The CPU is more expensive than the PS Pro one, 12GB of RAM DDR5 and state of the art cooling solution (this things are expensive) all add up.

Bulby

399 or bust for me.

Giving Sony another price gap this holiday make absolutely no sense. Sony can drop the price of the pro if they need to, but MS would be crazy to come in $100 more expensive again.

Does anyone launch a console at $449? You get all the negative perception of over $400 with probably none of the profit you get for $499.

Yesterday made me think $499 but I'm still hoping for $399, some good points were made on price yesterday by a few on here so I live in hope

AllGamer

The PS4 launched for 399$/€, Scorpio launches only a year later with more RAM, a UHD drive and more powerful hardware so I think 499$/€ would absolutely be ok and justified. If it's less, all the better.

im_dany

I'm 100% in if it's <=499, if there are decent enough trade-in offers (no, my One S can't be valued just 100€, Gamestop) and if there are tangible upgrades on 1080p (especially on Destiny 2). They can keep it if it misses any of those three things.

$399 is my guess.
While the Zen and Vega rumours were floating around I would have said a lot more bit as it's Polaris and Jaguar anymore than 400 is too much.

Marmelade

I just don't see it being competitive next to the Pro at 499, especially if the Pro goes down to 349 in the holidays for example
449 would be more reasonable
399 would be great

I'm sitting on $400-$450 at the moment.

I think they're billing it as premium at every opportunity so that people will be pleasantly surprised when it's cheaper than expected.

Jrs3000

The plan is simple. Talk it up being expensive and exotic costing more than $499 up until e3. At e3 they show it an the games to get the "ooohh" and "ahhhs". Finally at the end Phil comes out and says its $399 for the gamers them drops the mic. They chose to tweak jaguar instead of using something newer like excavator for a reason. I'm sure AMD gave them a sweat deal on the old cat modifying it.

Clive

Has anyone actually made a breakdown of the costs for the components? Obviously some of it will be approximations but some ballpark numbers, or maybe that's impossible with current information available. If they want it to be an important factor on the console market then I say they need to aim for $399.

$600 would be insane imo just to run 360 and XB1 games in 4k or to get better framerate on the same old games.

The PS3 cost a lot but that was a whole new generation with new games and stuff. They weren't like PS3 is $600 and all it does is run PS2 games in 1080.

chadskin

I feel like the Scorpio specs should be possible at $399 in late 2017, given that it's ultimately based on souped up Jaguar and Polaris tech.

Strider

Looking at the specs I'd say $399... It's more powerful than the $399 Pro but also coming a year later...

I don't think Sony or MS will launch a console above $400 again even if it is labeled as "premium." $400 is the sweet spot for launch and surely they know that by now...

400, the cooling system sounds like the only thing that could push the price higher than that, but I don't think they would have gone with it if increased the price to us, they could have made a bigger box with more traditional cooling.

Zedox

I'm keeping my expectations at $499, but I think that they will put it at $399 and include 1 month of Game Pass (though I believe that they will have 1 month of Game Pass in all bundles this upcoming summer/holiday season).

KageMaru

$499 would be my first guess. ~4.6x the performance for 2x the cost sounds fair to me. $449 would be the lowest I see them launching it but even if they could hit that price point, they may want to keep that in their back pocket for post holidays price drop if sales aren't up to expectations. They know it's a niche product and I'm sure supplies will be limited, so they'll likely want to maximize their earnings per console.

alt27

I would guess between 449-499.

Its a niche product that is not going to increase their market share, so they wont undercut it like a base model.

Striek

It'll be $400. Big mistake to go higher. The OG XBOne and PS4 launched four years ago. Its tech isn't any more advanced than those systems for its time. The Pro will probably slot it at $299 to compete (which MS would've liked to have been able to do with the XBOne once they ditched Kinect, I'm sure).

Hoping for $399, if only because I'd like to see it be successful. I could also see it as a "great" deal at $499 with an updated Elite controller (BT and all).

$399. With $499 bundles targeted at the launch period buyers. Bigger HDD and EA pack in or something similar.

With the base SKU at $499 I dont think they will sell much beyond the core Xbox fans. I would think one of the goals would be to claw a bit of marketshare back. Namely from the ~1/3 PS4 owners who migrated from 360 at the start of the generation. In particular the ones who haven't bought a PSPro yet.

Ricky_R

Regardless of the system's target or their expectations, anything above $399 will be pretty bad for MS.

It would be a clear display of how out touch they still are.

Apathy

499. Two main reasons why I believe this. First, the general consumer is uneducated, and I don't mean this as an insult, I mean it as a fact. Most people aren't gaffers and aren't people that keep up with specs. Psychologically speaking, humans are easy to manipulate with prices.

So 399 is too close to your competitor and your mom's and dad's out there see the price and assume that they are equal.

599 is far too much for a snap purchase as has been proven in the past.

499 is far enough away from your competitor that if seen just at a glance by consumers they know, without knowing specs, this thing is more powerful than this other companies product, but also in the range where they feel comfortable paying for it. It also let's ms call it a premium product and the price to have people perceive it that way.

Very premium product, that heating solution won't be cheap.

I definitely think 499. WIll be pleasantly surprised if it is 449.

If they want to sell like gang busters it would be 399.

Top Bottom