• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio Pricing Discussion

I wonder if Sony will drop the price of the PS4 Pro to 299$ at E3.

I got my PS4 Pro at Gamestop for an used PS4, two games and 99€ (regular price is 399€). They had to stop the promotion just after a few days because demand was quite high.

https://www.gamestop.de/ps4-pro

original Ps4 was $399 official MSRP for 23 months before dropping to $349
you expect the Ps4 Pro, the non volume SKU, to drop to $299 in just 8 months?

here is what happens:
Ps4 Pro will get a game bundled this E3 or fall
Ps4 Pro will get a temporarily $50 pricecut for Scorpio release / Holiday season among the regular unit
Ps4 Pro will get a permanent pricedrop to $349 early next year

anything else would be a huge surprise

German prices are also nothing you can compared to US prices
Ps4 Slim is sold for 179 or 199 Euro all the time
Ps4 Pro was 340€ just 6 weeks after launch

Izuna

Banned
This has always been a weird assessment.
In the first place for people who have PC as an option consoles are for exclusives. When I can get The Last of Us Pt 2 on my PC then I will stop caring about consoles.

Not what I said

I have a Xbone and normal PS4. With a gaming PC, I don't feel like getting a mid-gen upgrade.

peppers

I think Phil wants us to see the games first just so they can confortably charge 499€ for this thing.

Providing the games deliver, which they seem confident in.

dl77

I have a Xbone and normal PS4. With a gaming PC, I don't feel like getting a mid-gen upgrade.

It could be argued that you're not the target audience for the PS4 Pro. I mean Sony have never said that the system is going to be for everyone so I imagine the majority of PS4 gamers won't end up getting the Pro but I don't think that means it's a 'pointless' machine.

Theonik

Not what I said

Which is fair. But you can't play your exclusives on your gaming PC so of course there is a point in upgrading the consoles as well.

dl77

For me personally I think the system will launch at either £399.99 or possibly £429.99. I think a lot will depend on how the PS4 Pro does over the next few months and whether it receives a price cut.

Realistically at £349.99 Sony could lop £20 off the price of the Pro and it could still end up £100 cheaper than the Scorpio. If that's the case it's going to be a tricky sell for MS as both machines can do 4k in the general public's eye and let's be honest at this time it's hard to argue that Sony have the better games catalogue.

If MS don't redress the balance in terms of games will people really be that bothered about upgrading?

Having said that, as someone who doesn't own an XB1, if MS can put a convincing case together for the machine I'd be tempted to get one - at the right price!

flkraven

I'm buying it regardless, but I do agree that $499 would be a big mozza ball hanging out there. Even if released at the exact same time as the pro at $100 more, it might be a tough sell. Now you wait a year, it's obviously more powerful, but more money too?

Andy Vee

Neo Member
Completely different devices marketed towards different audience. They dont expect to sell Surface in giant volume, they want their OEM to sell more and make profit so they continue to supposrt Windows. Xbox is completely different story.
I'm not sure they are that different, top of the range premium machines with lower end devices for the masses. I hope I am wrong but Microsoft is having a big push on expensive hardware recently

Andy Vee

Neo Member
While true, a console still needs to sell. The surface book is stated to exist to show that MS can be innovative with windows and that they have a product line they can be proud of. The goal is to develop a satisfied community and develop a strong brand, rather than sell as much as possible from the get go. They want brand recognition.

I'm not sure the Xbox division can afford that. 499, sure, but I think 599 will rustle too many feathers in tve community, and even with the same approach as the Surface, this seems detrimental to their goal of cultivating a strong brand.

Time will tell, but I think 599 for non-zen, non-vega (a 4k machine, basically) will be detrimental to them. Ps4Pro gets nearly 4k with a slew of games for 399, possibly with a price drop once Scorpio comes out.

Do you think people are willing to shell out 200-250 more bucks to upgrade from checkerboard to native 4k? (Not that I think all Scorpio games will be native 4k)
Nope but some people will and it's the Xbox fan base they will target first. How much does it cost to upgrade to the latest apple phone every 3 - 4 years isn't that the model they are looking at win premium.

To be honest I have been in the Xbox ecosystem since the beginning and they have never been risk adverse with their loyal fan base...

Izuna

Banned
It could be argued that you're not the target audience for the PS4 Pro. I mean Sony have never said that the system is going to be for everyone so I imagine the majority of PS4 gamers won't end up getting the Pro but I don't think that means it's a 'pointless' machine.

Don't get defensive for the Pro...

I'm just pointing out that the Scorpio would have to be more

dl77

Don't get defensive for the Pro...

I'm just pointing out that the Scorpio would have to be more

I'm not being defensive. I have a base PS4 and have no intention of upgrading it.

However, you've stated that you've no intention of getting a mid-generation upgrade so it's not a leap to say that whilst it's an enticing machine for other people the system isn't for you.

Izuna

Banned
I'm not being defensive. I have a base PS4 and have no intention of upgrading it.

However, you've stated that you've no intention of getting a mid-generation upgrade so it's not a leap to say that whilst it's an enticing machine for other people the system isn't for you.

I don't understand what your issue is. I explained that Scorpio would have to be aggressive priced for me to be interested and you've pressed me about why... Now you're repeating it back to me.

If Scorpio were say, £299 - £350 I would be happy, but at £500 there's no way.

Anth0ny

It has to be $399 or it is DOA. How are they going to market it against PS4 pro if it's anything higher?

They'd say it's way stronger and worth the extra money... but Microsoft and Xbox are in no position to be making that claim.

I'm also hoping for $399, but I'll pay anything for RDR2 in 4K.

I am still believing $499 for the base model, I think that will be the cheapest entry price. Maybe they throw in a game at launch, however, or do some type of $50 gift card when you buy a Scorpio, or a discount on a controller.

Garjon

Colour me very surprised at this being $400. I'd have expected them to want to charge more to make a profit on it, but surely they must be taking a loss on it now? What's the point? Unless they treat it as a next gen console, of course, which raises even further questions.

Always going to be $399. Still believe.

My thoughts from another thread.

TLDR: Maybe it 'should' cost $499. They have to hit $399 for reasons...

Ive no idea how much this will cost to make. I've no idea if MS will get a good ROI on the box.

I just do not see a scenarios where they announce $499 price.

This is for a few reasons.

1. Phil Spencer had the unenviable task of announcing the price in 2013. Forget all the Kinect, TV TV TV, and DRM nonsense. $499 did not wash. Remember his reaction? And the crowds? Watch here: https://youtu.be/B2zslQ9PWPQ

2. The One S is currently RRP $249 with a bundled game. It will likely, closer to Scoprio launch and the holidays, drop to at least $229 RRP. Maybe even lower. The Scorpio plays the same games, uses the same accessories. Can they 'sell' a 4k upgrade for potentially double the price?

3. The competition. The PS4 Pro RRP is $399. You can expect a bundled game and/or a a price drop approaching Holiday 2017 to say $349. At $499, Scorpio would be 25-43% more expensive. It would not wash.

So, putting aside how much this 'should' cost... I can not see a price higher than $399.

Top Bottom