• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio Pricing Discussion

Gaenor

Banned
I'm anticipating a 499$ pricetag on this thing. Microsoft said again and again that is a premium console. Hopefully it'll be cheaper though, 449$ or even 399$ (unlikely imo). Any amount above 499$ would be insane.

While I'm willing to pay 499$ for a Scorpio, I doubt that many people will at that price. Especially with a potentially discounted PS4 Pro this holiday.

Brohan

I'm guessing it will be either €449,- or €499,- which seems about right for a premium console.

I think it will struggle if it is going to be €499,- though.. It might fare a bit better at €449,- but i don't think it will sell very well until it drops below €400,- and even then i wonder how well it will do with the prices a PS4 can be had for these days and even the Pro could drop in price to combat the scorpio if Sony wanted to.

Microsoft will also need to do better when it comes to games if they want Scorpio to be succesful.

Im guessing $499. I don't think the jump between pro and scorpio is as big as people are thinking and it'll have been a year, so $500 seems right to me.

Hey if they can get me one for $300 or less from trading in my old xbox I may jump in though!

Wereroku

It will eventually replace the XB1, 2 or 3 years from now. Also another iteration of the Xbox platform will come out in 3 or 4 years with the target of taking scorpio 1080p titles and making them run at 4K, at least that seems to be the method that Microsoft is chasing this new no generations thing.

The real question is, does microsoft care about making money on the console market, or simply care about DirectX, because adoption is not as important to keep DirectX the main target for PC titles and giving this huge hardware advantage to Scorpio in DX12, forces developers to use it, I mean it could mean up to twice the CPU performance, thanks to the API being completely off the CPU.

See that is the issue. A game that can only run 1080P on Scorpio is going to run like trash on the original one. So what is the timeframe for them saying devs don't have to support the original system. I think both Sony and MS have stated that neither system will have exclusive games so at some point you have to have a break as to what is considered a PS4/XBO title. I could see Scorpio supporting XB2 games with the justification that they are not XBO titles. These half step consoles add a new layer of weirdness.

I'm really torn on this! I'll start by saying that I think $399 would be the most competitive price possible. That being said, I agree with OP in that they're talking it up as if it demands a premium price. So honestly, I really wouldn't be surprised if they went with $499 either.

I do think that the pricing they go with will absolutely give us a clear look into their plans with Scorpio. Going with $399 says to me that they're willing to take a loss to expand their customer base. Going with $499 seems like they really just want to provide a premium option for existing customers.

450$ is my guess maybe even 499$, the internals sound at least as expensive as the Pro was last October with some stuff added everywhere: UHD drive, 4 gigs more Ram, that fancy cooling and apparently surprisingly small box size all come at a price.
Maybe that hyper customized Cpu is also more expensive, I don't really know, just guessing here, but this is meant for the absolute hardcore and they'll line up to buy it in the same numbers if it is 499$ or 399$ at the beginning, so MS can set the price that high if they wish.

On the other hand, if Sony slashes the Pro price by about 100$ during the Scorpio launch week or lowers it permanently by 50$, 499$ would look horrendously expensive, that's why I'm going with 450$.

399$ would be a nice surprise.

Raide

£399. More than this and they have to justify it more. Maybe throw in some EA Access, Gold or something else to add value.

My XB1 will be traded in, even if the Scorpio price goes above 399 ,but the sub 400 is the sweet spot, especially for what they are offering. A good jump above their nearest competitors and all the BC stuff as well.

jelly

I'm in two minds.

Scorpio isn't going to beat the PS4 so why bother going low at $399, the enthusiasts will buy at $449-$499.

On the other hand, I can imagine them beating the premium drum so when it comes to E3 or whenever the price is unveiled, boom $399 sounds like a bargain versus a $350 PS4 Pro by that time.

I think they won't even bother with a 500GB hard drive which will push the price up by default. 1TB minimum.

Widge

See that is the issue. A game that can only run 1080P on Scorpio is going to run like trash on the original one. So what is the timeframe for them saying devs don't have to support the original system. I think both Sony and MS have stated that neither system will have exclusive games so at some point you have to have a break as to what is considered a PS4/XBO title. I could see Scorpio supporting XB2 games with the justification that they are not XBO titles. These half step consoles add a new layer of weirdness.

When the next gen cut off comes along. I've seen it discussed a few times on here and people have theorised that eventually the base model will drop off - so PS4 and XB1s will drop off support wise, but Pro & Scorpio will be supported.

Which makes upgrade time really interesting. You can do a cheap upgrade (which it will be at the time) to Pro/Scorpio or push into whatever is offered after that. Weirdly, the Pro/Scorpio uptake might actually lag somewhat until that point.

It's that point that I think we'll see the real 4k guns brought out, I'd imagine enough people will have moved their TV set on by that point.

It's going to be 450-499. I don't think MS is thinking short term sales here. Despite what people may think, I have doubts that the mass market are looking to upgrade to Scorpio right now. They already have the S which is a decent 4k media device.

Midas

Based on this thread, we can see that Microsoft's marketing tactics works. They've successfully sold the idea that the hardware is expensive and it therefore will be around 449-499 and anything less is crazy. Well done.

Widge

On the other hand, if Sony slashes the Pro price by about 100$ during the Scorpio launch week or lowers it permanently by 50$, 499$ would look horrendously expensive, that's why I'm going with 450$.

Conversely, this is also something Sony can do. They can trade on the success of PS4, which I don't doubt will continue, to offset a price cut on the Pro.

The biggest challenge the newer machines have is that they have direct competitors in their predecessors that are cheaper and play all of the same titles.

Elandyll

Banned
The reason for it being (possibly) above $399 is the custom parts, as custom (obviously implying smaller quantities produced than stock) is more expensive.
The amount of Gddr 5 plays a role, as well as the advanced cooling too.

What helps keeping price down a bit is remaining with a Jaguar type CPU, and a GPU that isn't technically bleeding edge and "only" 40 CUs (just 4 more than PS4 Pro, but with ultra high clock).

I could see $449, but imo a $499 will be a hard sell beyond hardcores (the Pro at $399 a whole year before already was).
$399 might be a reach, and they might lose a bit of money at that price, but it also seems that it might be the target when you look at the compromises done and the "tricks" used to optimize the system.

Malawhur

399 is wishful thinking. 499 is the most probable. Don't forget that sony ditched uhd to stay with the 399 price tag. Scorpio is not trying to totally replace one s.

They're setting the expectation that it's going to be more expensive so they can "surprise" everyone with $399 at E3.

It'll be $399.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think they're going to come in at $499. This is a product aimed at the core console user that has no problems dropping money on the latest hardware update day one. These are the guys you can squeeze some bucks out of. Scorpio won't be aimed at the mainstream consumer, which is why it's going to carry a premium price tag.

Hell, after that reveal I think they've got their core fanbase so lathered up over 4K everything at 60fps with room to spare talk, that they could go higher.

Widge

Can anyone explain why the vapor chamber should be more expensive than what is in the S?

No idea. Isn't this what Nvidia 1XXX range cards ship with on the founders editions? I'm sure that all panned out to be marketing bluster.

Bulby

I'm in two minds.

Scorpio isn't going to beat the PS4 so why bother going low at $399, the enthusiasts will buy at $449-$499.

On the other hand, I can imagine them beating the premium drum so when it comes to E3 or whenever the price is unveiled, boom $399 sounds like a bargain versus a $350 PS4 Pro by that time.

I think they won't even bother with a 500GB hard drive which will push the price up by default. 1TB minimum.

What enthusiasts are we really talking about here? Thats a very very small market. A couple million maybe? We have already seen that from the Pro, and that system has games.

flkraven

2 skus. $399 and $499. $399 may be really stripped, possibly a model straight-up aimed to those upgrading from Xbox One standard. $499 with either a game or an elite controller.

Elandyll

Banned
399 is wishful thinking. 499 is the most probable. Don't forget that sony ditched uhd to stay with the 399 price tag. Scorpio is not trying to totally replace one s.
90% sure (still just my opinion) that price wasn't the actual factor, but simply that Sony didn't have a mass market Sony UHD drive ready.

Bowl0l

Bundle 1: Elite Wireless Controller.
Bundle 2: Kinect
Bundle 3: 5 years worth of Xbox Live Gold Subscription

Rodelero

It feels really hard to determine at this stage. I feel it's about as likely to be $399 as it is $499. I guess I'll say $450. In normal circumstances, it feels like a $499, but I can't help but feel Microsoft are willing to subsidise this (or, at least, take a smaller margin). It will be interesting to see how Sony react too, because this is the first time in a long time where their console won't be the best piece of hardware.

I expect a price drop and a new revision with a UHD drive.

LKSmash

I'm in two minds.

I think DF stated it was a minimum 1 TB. And I agree that it'll likely be $449-499 unless they really just wanna sell at a loss to appease fans.

What enthusiasts are we really talking about here? Thats a very very small market. A couple million maybe? We have already seen that from the Pro, and that system has games.

Yeah, i think a 399 price would re-invigorate the xbox one brand. If they aim only for enthusiasts, i dont really see the point either. Announce at 399$ and start the comeback of the century. PS4 sold for a long time with not much to play. Dont see why MS cant do it as well.

I will say though, i think there is probably going to be a base 399$ model for scorpio just like the xbox one S had different, cheaper SKUs.

jacobeid

Banned
I doubt it will be less than $500, but that's not saying it's worth it. When consumers see a $200 slim PS4 or xbox one S on Black Friday next to this, they'll choose the slim. The price gaps between the regular and "pro" systems will be too much for the average consumer, and for the people wanting to spend $500 for graphics, I'd just encourage them to look into saving a bit more and building a PC.

I don't know how Microsoft can win with this being so far behind already :/

Widge

It's the market the Scorpio has been targeted at.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm totally uniformed but Polaris and jaguar, no matter how custom, sounds like 399 to me.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Isnt PS4 Pro premium? It was only $100 more. Does it has to cost double the base model to justify premium pricing?

While the 'Pro' suffix suggests an upgrade to the PS4, I believe the Scorpio will be in essence a whole new Xbox - and will be priced accordingly.

The Pro is premium compared to the PS4, the Scorpio will be premium full stop. I think it will be sold as a luxury product.

90% sure (still just my opinion) that price wasn't the actual factor, but simply that Sony didn't have a mass market Sony UHD drive ready.

I just think they looked at it and thought, 'nah'. I don't think the 4K blu-ray market is there yet, and when you're making things on the scale of the PS4 Pro, that $15 addition adds up and probably didn't look worth it to them. I agree.

MechaDekka

Neo Member
I would pay $600 if it came with an Elite controller and a 2TB hard drive. Otherwise I think $500 is totally reasonable.

At a point support will stop being mandatory, and will be a developer choice.

There are many games launched on xbone this day that would have no trouble running on a 360, but since porting to it has an associated cost no one bothers. But with a platform that "just runs", a unified certification process and a single store it becomes a lot easier on the dev to support those platforms.

Top Bottom