• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S Sales Have Collapsed in Europe

havoc00

I thought the quote didn't appear in the box and what came afterwards was from you. That's what it looked like to me.

Yeah I also can't believe that people think Microsofts loves the current situation.
And it’s not going to get any better with the switch 2 coming soon ish

I did think the s and gamepass would be a win win with casual gamers tbh. I thought they would treat it more like a Roku or fire stick

Maybe casuals don't want a subscription and prefer to buy their games. And when it comes to that they have two other options besides just Xbox.

Sanepar

Some Xbox fans are saying this on other forums…

Like I said on a different thread, I will reserve my judgment until next month. I suspect that Microsoft reduced their production on purpose to appear a lot weaker to regulators. I think by around this time next month we will know for sure if I'm wrong on that theory.
u can find a Xbox everywhere, with discounts on Europe, so your point doesn't make any sense.

(There was perhaps a case for a 1080p60 console, which the SS was marketed as, but the reality of the actual SS falls way short as we now know. It should have had the exact same CPU and RAM as the SX, and only the GPU should have been weaker. That was the only way it would have worked. Microsoft tried to ignore reality and of course it failed.)
Really? Because when a developer actually gives a shit, the Series S performs as intended.

Case in point, best looking game of 2023, Alan Wake 2, looks just fine on Series S.

Woopah

Yeah maybe, but there wasn't any stock for ps5 until December :) Xbox series s was available all year discounted.
The PS5 shortages played a part, but it also means Xbox Series beat Switch in Norway, which it didn't do in other countries.
Im quite sure Japan lags behind in anything that IS not Nintendo in comparison Ton Singapore, South Korea, Indonésia, Taiwan...
Japan will be bigger for PS5 hardware than other Asian countries.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I did think the s and gamepass would be a win win with casual gamers tbh. I thought they would treat it more like a Roku or fire stick

I thought similarly, but the issue is time.

I'm dropping my Gamepass come January because I simply don't have enough time to make it a good value - at least not while there are games I have to buy on other platforms, or buy generally.

Like, if I HAVE to buy Spider-Man and Baldur's Gate, along with stuff on sale but not on Gamepass...when do I have time for Gamepass?

And at $17 a month? If core gamers don't have the space, and casuals don't have the inclination, who is it for?

havoc00

I'm dropping my Gamepass come January because I simply don't have enough time to make it a good value - at least not while there are games I have to buy on other platforms, or buy generally.

Like, if I HAVE to buy Spider-Man and Baldur's Gate, along with stuff on sale but not on Gamepass...when do I have time for Gamepass?

And at $17 a month? If core gamers don't have the space, and casuals don't have the inclination, who is it for?
For me I liked it cause I got things like the show 2 years in a row, halo infinite day one which I still play, payday 3 etc… but yea if your juggling games and paying full price for other games on ps5 switch etc yea time becomes an issue

Alan Wake

I think I'm getting close to the limit of what I'm ready to pay for it, but so far I have never felt I don't want Game Pass. I've been subscribing since 2017 and after these years I would feel something is missing if Game Pass wasn't there, I guess. And now and then gems like Planet of Lana and Cocoon shows up.

Team Xbox are so completely out of touch it's sort of embarrassing.

They aren't exciting, they aren't enticing, they squander the advantages they have, poor decision after poor decision.... ad naseum.

To be more specific, lets ask a few questions:
  • Where is the AI integration? Microsoft are at the forefront of AI in business but that hasn't translated to gaming. Why? The Series devices feature hardware support for DirectML, where are the tech demos? Why aren't Microsoft championing and pushing the use of this technology in gaming? They have such an advantage in the space. Let us have conversations with NPCs in real-time. Show us smarter more dynamic NPC AI in games.
  • Games. Where is the quality? Where are the new IPs? Why has Xbox abandoned so many iconic IPs? Why does Xbox have such a poor selection of 1st party games? Why does Xbox not attempt to compete in the same space as Nintendo? What are so many of its development teams actually doing? Why do developers purchased by Microsoft fail at alarming rates?
  • Games. Why no console only exclusives or even timed exclusives? No wonder no-one is buying the console.
  • Technology. Why aren't they mandating the use of specific technologies in their 1st party games? i.e. VRS2, SFS, Mesh, DirectML etc. Why haven't they retrofit FSR into existing games? Why aren't they offering a solution like NVidia Remix? Why don't Microsoft adopt a few standard game engines that fully integrate Xbox technologies i.e. ForzaTech, ID Tech etc. Too many engines across its studios that don't support advanced Xbox features.
  • Technology. Why doesn't Xbox have a Windows mode so it can be used like a PC lite for kids to do homework on etc? Why doesn't Microsoft allow the console to be used as a media server via use of Plex or Emby. Sony managed it previously. Add value to the platform and make it a no-brainer. There are so many easy wins here you would have to be blind not to see them.
  • Services. Simultaneous release cross-platform of 1st party. Why? It should be deferred on PC by 3-6 months. Incentivise ownership of console and provide extra time to devs to ensure the PC version is bug free.
  • Services. Game Pass. Gamers need more transparency with upcoming titles. Where are the Game Pass exclusive only skins, unlockables or in-game currencies? Its all so very stale and uninteresting.
  • Physical media. Why the blackout and what are your plans? Will there be a new physical media? Why not usb-c with only licence to keep physical alive?
  • Digital media. Why can't I access my digital game licence keys? Why can't I trade or sell licences to a 3rd party via built in app? Why can't I loan friends my digital games? Why is digital the same or more expensive than physical?
I could go on forever. There are a million other things that could be done to radically improve the platform. Regardless, get over here Phil and answer these questions you pussy!!!

Last edited:

Painskiller

Timed exclusives alone would improve sales of Xbox. There's no point in buying it if you have everything on your PC day one, for free.
PC Mode on Xbox would be interesting, but that's dangerous because of potential piracy.
USB-C physical with only licence sounds not bad, something like iLok in music creating industry.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Timed exclusives alone would improve sales of Xbox. There's no point in buying it if you have everything on your PC day one, for free.
PC Mode on Xbox would be interesting, but that's dangerous because of potential piracy.
USB-C physical with only licence sounds not bad, something like iLok in music creating industry.
I still know a lot of people who only own an Xbox and not a gaming PC

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What world are we living in?

Desktop gpu market is 6 million + per quarter consistently. On top you have gaming laptops, handhelds.

PlayStation in its best years sell that much.

Xbox is doing well by targeting PC users instead of going all in on fixed hardware.

If there was any concern about their business, it would reflect in their quarterly reports.
How many are for gaming though?

Here is the latest Steam GPU survey: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Out of 130 million users, we have a very small % of people who are playing modern AAA games on their PCs with their configuration. The rest are buying consoles, i.e., PlayStation.

knguyen

Team Xbox are so completely out of touch it's sort of embarrassing.

They aren't exciting, they aren't enticing, they squander the advantages they have, poor decision after poor decision.... ad naseum.

To be more specific, lets ask a few questions:
  • Where is the AI integration? Microsoft are at the forefront of AI in business but that hasn't translated to gaming. Why? The Series devices feature hardware support for DirectML, where are the tech demos? Why aren't Microsoft championing and pushing the use of this technology in gaming? They have such an advantage in the space. Let us have conversations with NPCs in real-time. Show us smarter more dynamic NPC AI in games.
  • Games. Where is the quality? Where are the new IPs? Why has Xbox abandoned so many iconic IPs? Why does Xbox have such a poor selection of 1st party games? Why does Xbox not attempt to compete in the same space as Nintendo? What are so many of its development teams actually doing? Why do developers purchased by Microsoft fail at alarming rates?
  • Games. Why no console only exclusives or even timed exclusives? No wonder no-one is buying the console.
  • Technology. Why aren't they mandating the use of specific technologies in their 1st party games? i.e. VRS2, SFS, Mesh, DirectML etc. Why haven't they retrofit FSR into existing games? Why aren't they offering a solution like NVidia Remix? Why don't Microsoft adopt a few standard game engines that fully integrate Xbox technologies i.e. ForzaTech, ID Tech etc. Too many engines across its studios that don't support advanced Xbox features.
  • Technology. Why doesn't Xbox have a Windows mode so it can be used like a PC lite for kids to do homework on etc? Why doesn't Microsoft allow the console to be used as a media server via use of Plex or Emby. Sony managed it previously. Add value to the platform and make it a no-brainer. There are so many easy wins here you would have to be blind not to see them.
  • Services. Simultaneous release cross-platform of 1st party. Why? It should be deferred on PC by 3-6 months. Incentivise ownership of console and provide extra time to devs to ensure the PC version is bug free.
  • Services. Game Pass. Gamers need more transparency with upcoming titles. Where are the Game Pass exclusive only skins, unlockables or in-game currencies? Its all so very stale and uninteresting.
  • Physical media. Why the blackout and what are your plans? Will there be a new physical media? Why not usb-c with only licence to keep physical alive?
  • Digital media. Why can't I access my digital game licence keys? Why can't I trade or sell licences to a 3rd party via built in app? Why can't I loan friends my digital games? Why is digital the same or more expensive than physical?
I could go on forever. There are a million other things that could be done to radically improve the platform. Regardless, get over here Phil and answer these questions you pussy!!!
Don't you come up in here with your reasoned argument.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes he has overseen four very well-built, customer-focused consoles, the One X and Series X being the most powerful in their respective generations, I can't wait to see what Phil does next!
Meanwhile, Phil in reality:

EIivEENVAAU662u.jpg

i'd also thought 2 years ago when i bought mine that a series s game pass box would be along-term success, but i dropped game pass 6 months ago & haven't looked back. over a year & a half, much to my surprise, i'd basically exhausted the library of everything i was curious about, oldies-wise, & am not an indies fan. i re-subbed to play starfield, & then un-subbed when done. with no heavy-hitters on the horizon, the console no longer really serves much of a purpose for me...

Last edited:

Here is the latest Steam GPU survey: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Out of 130 million users, we have a very small % of people who are playing modern AAA games on their PCs with their configuration. The rest are buying consoles, i.e., PlayStation.

Casuals were mentioned earlier in this thread. Most casuals are not going to build their own PCs. Its most likely the main reason why low end GPUs and consoles are popular with them.

Are you seriously debating no body is playing on PC and everyone is going PlayStation/Nintendo?

Just a cursory glance at Valve revenue shows it's similar size to Nintendo. And it doesn't sell hardware. Plus there are plethora of marketplaces, every publisher has one.

In any case I am happy with xbox I have a choice of PC / console. Am not a shareholder, just wanna play games they make.

A console like Series X will always struggle against a PC few years into generation when entry level gpus match it's performance.

Are you seriously debating no body is playing on PC and everyone is going PlayStation/Nintendo?

Just a cursory glance at Valve revenue shows it's similar size to Nintendo. And it doesn't sell hardware. Plus there are plethora of marketplaces, every publisher has one.

In any case I am happy with xbox I have a choice of PC / console. Am not a shareholder, just wanna play games they make.

A console like Series X will always struggle against a PC few years into generation when entry level gpus match it's performance.

Microsoft doesn't own PC or Valve.

Series consoles are great piece of hardware.

Anyone disagreeing is clueless.
It’s a great piece of hardware, with no good software support from its own manufacturer.

Something just like a PS Vita. Sent out to die, but at least I have the feeling Sony sort of knew what it did vs Microsoft just being clueless on what sells.

Thats news to me. I didn’t know Stadia was a wild sales success lol. Please give me more of these comparisons, I really need some laughs today, thank you for this gem already 👍😁

Talking about software support.

Sales success, I will give you that. PS5 has great sales success.

yazenov

You're clueless if you think most of the higher end GPUs are purchased by gamers.

You do know that crypto mining caused all those GPU shortages and price increase for any years. And now they are also used for AI as well.

Dude, you are living in a bubble.

Last edited:
Talking about software support.

Sales success, I will give you that. PS5 has great sales success.
Software support is awesome too, it could be that you don’t like Sony published games, but no one can deny they’re great games. Maybe you’re not the target audience but that’s another story.

I think they could have a few more releases more often, but what they do release is high quality just like spider-man 2 now.

And great software support which is why people are buying them.

Ok, so are you saying xbox is lacking in software support. Let's do an experiment then.

Everyone knows engagement is most important metric for measuring games success these days.

Let's check steams's top 100 played games and see which developer/publisher has more games being played.

Xbox doesn't have software support so i presume there wouldn't be any Xbox games being played, right?

As level playing field as it gets.

Ok, so are you saying xbox is lacking in software support. Let's do an experiment then.

Everyone knows engagement is most important metric for measuring games success these days.

Let's check steams's top 100 played games and see which developer/publisher has more games being played.

Xbox doesn't have software support so i presume there wouldn't be any Xbox games being played, right?

As level playing field as it gets.

I didn't say Xbox lacked software support. You're the one saying they suck at that.

Both the PS5 and XSX have great software support. But they both share extremely similar libraries so people usually only need one and not both.

Accept it.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Why only focusing in Europe? Asia is basically non-existent. It's decreasing like hell in the USA as well.

Also

We hear this every damn generation. And yeah...5 more years waiting for the next Xbox will be...something considering how it's selling 3 years in.

By then you'll see plenty of 3rd party publishers, specially asian ones dropping the console. Xbox can pay all they want but can they sustain 5 years of payola for multiplatform games to release on their platform like that? By 2028 PS5 will be at way above 100M. Xbox will be lucky to even be at 40 or 50M judging how sales are stalling.
It’s all about profitability, of which the division being in the black is suspect. However, if by some reason they are profitable, it doesn’t really matter.

Still, acquiring Activision was a stupid idea, especially given the reasoning was for their mobile division.

I didn't say Xbox lacked software support. You're the one saying they suck at that.

Both the PS5 and XSX have great software support. But they both share extremely similar libraries so people usually only need one and not both.

Accept it.

There is enough differentiated stuff in both libraries.

Lot of unique and great stuff in Xbox library that you won't find on PlayStation.

But PC of course has everything. You get all Xbox games plus Spiderman, if that's what you wanna play. I suspect that is where majority of players are going, if you want Xbox.

Says who?

I'd say money is the most important metric. Every copy that's bought, every dlc that's bought, microtransactions, subscriptions and more are whats important.

Some dude playing a game doesn't add anything. I know I don't give Microsoft money everytime I play Oblivion. But I already gave them money when I bought the game off steam.

There is enough differentiated stuff in both libraries.

Lot of unique and great stuff in Xbox library that you won't find on PlayStation.

But PC of course has everything. You get all Xbox games plus Spiderman, if that's what you wanna play. I suspect that is where majority of players are going, if you want Xbox.

Well there's a lot of great and unique stuff in playstations library as well. Those differences are what make people choose one system over the other.

But PC isn't Xbox nor is Steam.

Now if you want to discuss why you chose a PS5 over an Xbox go ahead. I'm sure many will share your sentiments.

BTW PC doesn't have Spidetman 2 or Ragnarok ATM. There's a reason why Sony delays PC releases.

Last edited:

yazenov

I'd say money is the most important metric. Every copy that's bought, every dlc that's bought, microtransactions, subscriptions and more are whats important.

Some dude playing a game doesn't add anything. I know I don't give Microsoft money everytime I play Oblivion. But I already gave them money when I bought the game off steam.

Not every game is a GAAS or has DLC.

Most single-player games are just one-and-done. So a size-fit approach doesn't make sense. Unit sales or engagement numbers don't apply to all games. I guess that's why Xbox is a failure in sales as they do not understand the gaming market at all.

Not every game is a GAAS or has DLC.

Most single-player games are just one-and-done. So a size-fit approach doesn't make sense. Unit sales or engagement numbers don't apply to all games. I guess that's why Xbox is a failure in sales as they do not understand the gaming market at all.

Engagement is really there to hide the numbers that matter. It's why I never use them in any serious discussion. Copies sold and MTX or DLC are much more meaningful IMO. People saying hardware sales don't matter cant see that they lift up all other metrics even the ones that don't matter.

yazenov

Engagement is really there to hide the numbers that matter. It's why I never use them in any serious discussion. Copies sold and MTX or DLC are much more meaningful IMO. People saying hardware sales don't matter cant see that they lift up all other metrics even the ones that don't matter.

Agreed. At the end of the day, profit is what matters.

Its no coincidence that the two leading platform companies who disclose those metrics you mentioned are also disclosing their revenue and profit. While the other failed company which is a distant 3rd in the market doesn't disclose any useful information. I wonder why?

Last edited:
Agreed. At the end of the day, profit is what matters.

Its no coincidence that the two leading platform companies who disclose those metrics you mentioned are also disclosing their revenue and profit. While the other failed company which is a distant 3rd in the market doesn't disclose any useful information. I wonder why?

I'm guessing its to stop their investors from comparing those numbers to their direct competitors. Microsoft would have a hard time answering some of those questions.

Cyberpunkd

Maybe casuals don't want a subscription and prefer to buy their games. And when it comes to that they have two other options besides just Xbox.
I would rather say they have too much content and as a result they are not piling subscription services like during the pandemic + they are influenced by the hardcore and what console to get from "people that know". So they ask their one gamer friend and they will say "Playstation". Also, even your grandma knows what "a playstation" is, as opposed to Xbox.

Top Bottom