• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S Sales Have Collapsed in Europe

Elysium44

Banned
I do think if apple wanted to get in on consoles they would do well. And the reason they charge loads of money for their hardware is because they have brand loyalty. Apple make brilliant products and people love it, personally and I think for many others Microsoft is not thought of in the same way. Like I said they are better served going third party, support every platform and their gaming sector will be raking it in

It's a non-starter. Apple have brand loyalty in large part because their products are status symbols - people want to be seen with their Apple laptop or iphone. Nobody will get any status clout points from having an Apple console at home. The other reason other than perceived quality is the operating systems on those devices are preferred by the buyers. That would be irrelevant on a games console where only the games would matter.

Well I don't think it would sell either but at least it may disrupt what Sony is doing. Going toe to toe with Sony on pretty much an even playing field is not working. At least with a very high powered console they would easily be more powerful throughout the entire generation.

Yes, same as Switch, a portable streaming device you could plug into the TV (no extra power though as it's still streaming, although, maybe a dock that's connected to LAN would actually improve latency once connected to TV). If they could sell that cheaper than Portal and allow full access to cloud streaming with no other console required then that would work for them. (I still think Sony will offer similar cloud play at some point)

What would stop Sony from putting out their own high powered rig?

gerth666

But when it comes to console gaming or PC gaming Microsoft has far more experience than Apple. Apple made one console and it was a complete disaster. Apple also dont have (currently) anywhere near the game development studios that Microsoft has so other than hardware they wouldn't have anything and as you know, for consoles hardware is not enough, not by a long shot. How many buy Macs for gaming compared to how many buy Windows PC's? I hnoestly think if Apple got into the consoles game they would do worse than Microsoft.
Good point, game support is important, hence why pc gaming is superior to Mac, every game supports DX API I'm not sure you can say the for Mac. But if apple took gaming seriously they can do it. They've hardware, a store, infinity money to make game deals. I think people would go mad for an apple gaming system and would be a proper rival for playstation. Look that's just my opinion

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
7 years. And they got 120 million people to do it with em, too. Switch 2 also will be competitive with home consoles if rumors are anything to go by. I don't think Sony will become lazy all of a sudden with xbox out of the picture
I personally think they have gotten lazy now and as much as I am enjoying the Portal just look at the price point for what this device does and to use wireless audio you are forced to buy their own product coming up

But we can agree to disagree as I value other people's opinion

I don't feel any of that is an actual competitor to keeping Sony in check on their consoles as far as innovation and pricing, they would have free reign to do as they please
that is the boilerplate answer. But at the same time I don't feel consumers are having the better end of stick in the current climate. And as i said in another thread: Is it just that this industry (console space) can't sustain these both consoles/the "graphics" race and the implications of such?

Once PlayStation then Xbox entered the industry, Nintendo's home console market share declined substantially .

Maybe there is no space for a third console. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Surprised not. Xbox never was a powerhouse in Europe, outside the UK 🇬🇧 (here I am based) it was never a good seller. Not sure why people are excited by obvious things. Reality is that USA, UK and maybe couple other territories are where Xbox has enough brand power to compete with PS, Eu is not one of these, and never was.

The problem is that the gap is growing wider and wider in those territories too. Xbox is down MOM and YOY most of the time and PlayStation is always have double digit growth.

There's the PS5 Pro and the Switch 2 next year. How will Xbox hope to compete with that?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
that is the boilerplate answer. But at the same time I don't feel consumers are having the better end of stick in the current climate. And as i said in another thread: Is it just that this industry (console space) can't sustain these both consoles/the "graphics" race and the implications of such?

Once PlayStation then Xbox entered the industry, Nintendo's home console market share declined substantially .

Maybe there is no space for a third console. 🤷🏽‍♂️
There is a place for another console MS just needed to land their exclusives like Halo and Starfield which (for me) fell well short

midnightAI

What would stop Sony from putting out their own high powered rig?
Well, what they are doing is working, they dont currently need to do anything different in regards to hardware, I'm suggesting it for MS because what they are currently doing isnt working. Now if suddenly high cost high power consoles did become a thing then, yes, Sony could react to that

SHA

Well as I stated, having hardware not being exactly the same would help getting more interesting "fights" in the game space.
Having more first party games would help building better identity for the consoles.
Everything has become streamlined to a point it has become nearly impossible to spot differences in games between platforms. Doesn't mean the games are bad. But the overall context is not very exciting.

What feels certain to me is that Xbox will not get a "win" against Sony by releasing exactly the same hardware and the exact same date. If it is still possible today to do some variation on it, and take some risks, then maybe it is the time to do it. Otherwise they will continue being entirely in the shadow of a competitor doing the exact same thing, but with better deals and communication.

Happy for you that you are enjoying this gen though.
Consoles are made for convenience, wrpgs and pc games on Xbox aren't mainstream in the console market unfortunately.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Series consoles are great piece of hardware.

Anyone disagreeing is clueless.

Not sure if sarcasm, but if serious, the Series S should have never existed.

(There was perhaps a case for a 1080p60 console, which the SS was marketed as, but the reality of the actual SS falls way short as we now know. It should have had the exact same CPU and RAM as the SX, and only the GPU should have been weaker. That was the only way it would have worked. Microsoft tried to ignore reality and of course it failed.)

Last edited:

midnightAI

Good point, game support is important, hence why pc gaming is superior to Mac, every game supports DX API I'm not sure you can say the for Mac. But if apple took gaming seriously they can do it. They've hardware, a store, infinity money to make game deals. I think people would go mad for an apple gaming system and would be a proper rival for playstation. Look that's just my opinion
They could, but I think that would take a lot of time and money and I just dont think Apple are currently all that interested in gaming other than providing hardware that can do it (and lets face it, a lot of this gaming hardware benefits other parts of their (higher end) user base such as TV and movie studios)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There is a place for another console MS just needed to land their exclusives like Halo and Starfield which (for me) fell well short
I mean, he isn't entirely wrong here.

Turbografx was also part of the 16 bit race but many people only really remember Nintendo and Sega during that time because the Turbografx sold a fraction of what Genesis and SNES sold. Every time there was a generation with 3 consoles (excluding 7th) there was always a distinct, last place loser with a fraction of the marketshare and little fanfare.
4th gen it was NEC.
5th gen it was Sega (though Nintendo were still trounced by Sony)
6th gen it was Nintendo (though MS were also getting trounced by Sony)
7th gen was really the only generation where all 3 consoles found great success. And even then Nintendo had a noticeable lead, selling 20 mil more than the competition.
8th gen it was Nintendo, 8.5 it was Xbox.
and with 9th gen it seems to be Xbox again.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Well, what they are doing is working, they dont currently need to do anything different in regards to hardware, I'm suggesting it for MS because what they are currently doing isnt working. Now if suddenly high cost high power consoles did become a thing then, yes, Sony could react to that

It would be a desperate move and wouldn't work. The SX already sells poorly, the market for an SX 'pro' would be even tinier.

Zheph

This topic is slowly turning into...

FpTW_XbakAAeMtc.jpg

Astray

I personally think they have gotten lazy now
This is why to me, the idea that "we need Microsoft to stay in the console game because competition is healthy" is just not well-thought out. If they were credible competitors, then we wouldn't have Sony doing a lot of what it's doing rn.

Competition isn't valuable just because it exists, it's valuable when it's actually a credible idea for the consumer looking for a product or service, and rn, Microsoft's overall offering is just extremely jumbled, behind the times and self-cannibalizing.

We need a credible competitor to Sony, yes, but in my mind, that competitor doesn't have to be Microsoft anymore. Apple for example can conceivably compete in this space in a far better way than Microsoft does.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is why to me, the idea that "we need Microsoft to stay in the console game because competition is healthy" is just not well-thought out. If they were credible competitors, then we wouldn't have Sony doing a lot of what it's doing rn.

Competition isn't valuable just because it exists, it's valuable when it's actually a credible idea for the consumer looking for a product or service, and rn, Microsoft's overall offering is just extremely jumbled, behind the times and self-cannibalizing.

We need a credible competitor to Sony, yes, but in my mind, that competitor doesn't have to be Microsoft anymore. Apple for example can conceivably compete in this space in a far better way than Microsoft does.
If we had credible evidence someone else would step up I am all for another competitor to enter the ring with Sony

Until then I think it would be a terrible thing if people did not have a $500 choice of boxes to play games on

Instead of another party coming forward I way prefer Xbox to start bringing out banger games

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

The issue is that Apple doesn't have the studios and already makes enough money off of gaming through Iphone. While they are making waves with their ports of games to Mac it seems to me Valve would be the far smarter company in their approach to gaming, and possible entry into the console space

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m just thankful Microsoft takes graphics and power seriously, one of these days they’ll get game support.

Astray

The issue is that Apple doesn't have the studios and already makes enough money off of gaming through Iphone. While they are making waves with their ports of games to Mac it seems to me Valve would be the far smarter company in their approach to gaming, and possible entry into the console space
  • Studios can easily be bought, both in terms of doing 2nd and striking 3rd party temp deals (Apple is already doing this via Apple Arcade).
  • When it comes to those huge corpos, there's no such thing as "enough money". They always want more.
  • Valve is not dumb, but a lot of their business still rides on PCs having growth, which is a factor that's out of their control. Things like Steam Deck are at best insurance policies in case adverse events happen to their mainline PC storefront business. Making a console business happen is about market execution above all else, and Valve is still very lacking in this (look at how Steam Deck isn't even officially available in all regions yet).

Forth

There is a lot of negativity around the Xbox brand at the moment and it's really kicking up a gear to the point of the gaming news sites reporting on it.
It will be interesting if Xbox leadership make a statement, I guess not but if it were me then I would definitely be saying something.
They really need to come out and reassure Xbox owners that they're committed to the brand.

Last edited:

Astray

If we had credible evidence someone else would step up I am all for another competitor to enter the ring with Sony

Until then I think it would be a terrible thing if people did not have a $500 choice of boxes to play games on

Instead of another party coming forward I way prefer Xbox to start bringing out banger games
Remains to be seen if anyone would throw their hat into the ring, but nature and capitalism abhors a vacuum imo. There WILL be entrants of some fashion, maybe even a pivot by existing parties to get into each others' space (Nintendo into $500 consoles, Sony back into handheld, maybe even Valve into both). PC is still a factor as well.

But what I do know, forreal, it's that Xbox and banger games are two concepts that might never meet at this point, remember, this was supposed to be the comeback season, and they wasted it completely.

Woopah

Nintendo is the only one with quality exclusives to be fair.
Sony aren't as prolific as Nintendo, but they do have quality exclusives.
Uhmm... what? Console gaming is trending up in Europe while mobile is trending down.

Well will probably also see console hardware growing in Japan as well this year as well.
I really don't know who buys Xboxes here in Norway. My oldest 14, all his friends play on PS5 or PC, my youngest 7 all play on PS4, PS5 or Switch.
It's really interesting that you say that, since Norway was the only European country that Xbox Series won in 2022.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
There is a lot of negativity around the Xbox brand at the moment and it's really kicking up a gear to the point of the gaming news sites reporting on it.
It will be interesting if Xbox leadership make a statement, I guess not but if it were me then I would definitely be saying something.
They really need to come out and reassure Xbox owners that they're committed to the brand.
This would be a case of "if you have to say it, it is already over". Part of the problem is that you are talking of negativity, but outside of lies, that can happen of course, we are mostly talking about facts, and their consequences. We have been talking for months that Sony PS5 are selling well, and Xbox does not. We also know that there is a big chance for a PS5 Pro happening, but Xbox have publicly said that they do not see a Xbox Pro happening this generation. We see games being played mostly on PS5. Games like Hogwarts and Baldur gate selling more, or only, on Playstation. In the same time, Xbox is giving us failures like Redfall, and games that does not met expectations like Starfield. I know that some people are happy with their Xbox. Good for them. I know that I am really happy with my PS5. Threads like this one show that in Europe, Sony is clearly ahead, and we know what happen when 1 ecosystem go significantly ahead, and that means that we can hope to get more third party deals, games studios putting more work to the version of their game that will be played by the most customers, etc.
To go back to your post, they just got Activision and that is the biggest proof that they are there for the long term. But if they have a plan, they need to wait the right time to say it. I can't see them saying now that they will make a next gen console for 2026 for example. This needs to wait until the last moment. So talking would just make it worse. What can they say about their sales in Europe and the rest of the world? About their next games when we already got a E3 a few months ago, and one or two smaller shows since then? When in December they may do again what they did last year with their Develloper direct?
For me what Jim Ryan said should be Xbox modus operandi in the future: "Lets the games do the talking". Have hit after hit and in 1 year or 2 they will be back as a credible competitor to Sony. As I have a PC, any great game that they make will be available to me anyway. In the meantime, I have Armored Core 6 to play. How the fuck 50% of all players have beaten the worm?!

MS itself has stated that they have never made money from Xbox consoles.

if we take that statment at face value, what are the implications? how many consoles do they need to sell to make money from them? or is just the unbelievable incompetence from MS/Xbox?. If this is the case, they dont deserve to be in this space. And maybe other company needs to step in.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I dunno. Starfield was seen by the xbox cumminty as The Miracle Game.....Now what?. What is the next level of a miracle?.

Now depending on the argument they either say Starfield was all or it was never going to be that game and move on to the next game on the chalkboard which is Hellblade 2. I dont think you understand the Xbox online fanbase. They will then move on to “wait for COD on Gamepass” to “wait till next gen” to “wait until COd exclusive”. That’s it, it’s the gift that keeps on giving, going on for over ten years.

Last edited:

Sweden85

Sony aren't as prolific as Nintendo, but they do have quality exclusives.

Well will probably also see console hardware growing in Japan as well this year as well.

It's really interesting that you say that, since Norway was the only European country that Xbox Series won in 2022.
Yeah maybe, but there wasn't any stock for ps5 until December :) Xbox series s was available all year discounted.

Osaka_Boss

Oof. I figured it might do some numbers simply due to the S being tiny cheap and having gamepads.

Interesting. I know the UK had some Xbox presence. The way they launched Xbox One was odd and sort of a fuck you lol.

The thing is 90% or more of the people buying a Series X will never use emulation and most likely won't really use BC.

Yeah, if you are a console only gamer then there is definitely "some" use in an Xbox but it's getting worse and worse every day. With a PC there is almost no point at all.

I mean no offense to the rest of Asia but Japan is really the only one people care about. China is a big market but at this moment not as big as it could be.
Im quite sure Japan lags behind in anything that IS not Nintendo in comparison Ton Singapore, South Korea, Indonésia, Taiwan...

havoc00

Some Xbox fans are saying this on other forums…

Like I said on a different thread, I will reserve my judgment until next month. I suspect that Microsoft reduced their production on purpose to appear a lot weaker to regulators. I think by around this time next month we will know for sure if I'm wrong on that theory.

Sleepwalker

Like I said on a different thread, I will reserve my judgment until next month. I suspect that Microsoft reduced their production on purpose to appear a lot weaker to regulators. I think by around this time next month we will know for sure if I'm wrong on that theory.

The consoles are not out of stock or going out of stock, they are actually on sale and available for a discount. Crazy copium

graywolf323

c’mon man, it’s obviously not a supply issue… and Phil himself said the supposed supply issue was solved months ago

It's a demand issue not a supply issue.

I posted a quote from someone on another message board who said that maybe I messed up the formatting lol but it just boggles my mind how people can believe stuff like that

I thought the quote didn't appear in the box and what came afterwards was from you. That's what it looked like to me.

Yeah I also can't believe that people think Microsofts loves the current situation.

Top Bottom