• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants Reportedly Wants The Next Fallout Game To Come Sooner

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
unless the development started few years ago, theres no way it can catch up with the upcoming season show

I can't believe that Microsoft can't form a team from scratch to make a Fallout game. You can't seriously be telling me every single employee at Xbox are too busy? i understand Bethesda and Obsidian are out, but that shouldn't stop Microsoft if they want to cobble a team together. Yes, it still will take 4-5 years, but at this point starting is better than not starting.
You can't force people to do something they don't want. Like, you know, not everybody wants to develop a Fallout game. Not to mention teams have their own roadmaps and stuff.

You can't force people to do something they don't want. Like, you know, not everybody wants to develop a Fallout game. Not to mention teams have their own roadmaps and stuff.
Well people were complaining about how Valve couldn't find people to make Half Life 3. But outside Valve many other studios DO force employees to make games they don't want to make.
Regardless my point is that MS has so many employees that mathematically they should be able to scrounge up enough staff to do this project.

killatopak

Gold Member
My god, don’t delay ESVI anymore please. We already have 3 large Fallout games since Skyrim. Elder Scrolls fans are just living on ESO life support.

BlackTron

Breaking news at 11!

major game publishers want sequels to extremely popular series to be made quicker

Also news: Nintendo wants the next Zelda to be made faster and sell just as many copies as breath of the wild. Source: myself.

IMO Nintendo doesn't even release a game when it's ready, they hold it until they feel like releasing it. They already tactically release games to maximize sales so I doubt they wish they could make more, they know if they spammed them out it would no longer be as hyped or get as much return on investment per game.

Hudo

My god, don’t delay ESVI anymore please. We already have 3 large Fallout games since Skyrim. Elder Scrolls fans are just living on ESO life support.
Bethesda can keep working on ES6 (and to me, if they fuck it that up as well, they should just close up shop). Fallout should be in the hands of Obsidian and inXile.

killatopak

Gold Member
Bethesda can keep working on ES6 (and to me, if they fuck it that up as well, they should just close up shop). Fallout should be in the hands of Obsidian and inXile.
I don’t think I trust modern Obsidian especially in terms of writing. They need to bring Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone back for me actually be excited for a Fallout from them. Everything comes down to how Avowed will pan out. I have more faith in inXile but if we’re going that route, might as well hire Larian.

gamer82

no pressure then to make sure the next 5 or 6 seasons of the fallout show work and are enjoyable to keep the momentum going & interest from the general public to buy the next game. deffo in the meantime they could revmp the other titles also can we take the need away for a subscription for 76 to open it up to more people.

Last edited:
IMO Nintendo doesn't even release a game when it's ready, they hold it until they feel like releasing it. They already tactically release games to maximize sales so I doubt they wish they could make more, they know if they spammed them out it would no longer be as hyped or get as much return on investment per game.
To be clear they only started doing that during the Switch era. They were just as desperate as everyone else for their big games to be done and ready to release prior to 2018. And a lot of that has to do with only having one system to support instead of two. But it’s certainly a nice position to be in, we’ll see how long it lasts as game dev cycles even at Nintendo get longer and longer. And it’s not every game that they do this with, only some.

And they absolutely want Zelda games to be done quicker than every 6-7 years. Iwata even asked Aonuma after SS if they could do the next one in 3 years. And we all know that eventually morphed into BotW.

Last edited:
no pressure then to make sure the next 5 or 6 seasons of the fallout show work and are enjoyable to keep the momentum going & interest from the general public to buy the next game. deffo in the meantime they could revmp the other titles also can we take the need away for a subscription for 76 to open it up to more people.
5 or 6 seasons?? Shows don’t really go that long any more. Even if this one does, with production cycles being like film schedules now, that would be 15 years from now by the time the show finished.

Well, they did just release a new Fallout 76 expansion, and Fallout 76 numbers are up. Fallout 76's player numbers are up +285% on Steam and the game has bumped up to #19 on the Microsoft charts.

Exactly. Between 76, 3, NV all being fully playable on Series/ PC, and the new update for 4, there’s so many Fallout games for people to dig into til a new one comes along.

Its on ms time scale, hows that Perfect Dark and Everwild doing. By the time they figure out Obsidian is the best dev for the job, Amazon would have wrap up the whole series on a bow with 5 seasons and a movie.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hahaha Fallout 5 will be a 2035-2040 release on the playstation7 or playstation 8.

If microsoft wants fallout games, it needs to rip it from the hands of Todd Howard. Oh by the way, the company obtained rights to fallout in 2020, in 2021 microsoft bought bethesda... we could have had a fallout game ready, as long as Todd Howard wasn't involved.

I'm not saying Todd is a bad person or a bad developer. It's just that he's bottlenecking Bethesda output.

Last edited:
unless the development started few years ago, theres no way it can catch up with the upcoming season show

Again, this is why people don't praise Sony enough on this.

They created a production studio JUST to keep their IP at the forefront and aligned with their game development.

Specifically, so that they don't have a situation like this, where they failed to maximize the potential of their IP.

It'll be 3-4 years at the earliest before they can get a Fallout game out and it would be rushed beyond belief since it hasn't been started yet. On top of that it would need to be made by a different studio in tandem with Bethesda since they're working on Elder's Scrolls. So maybe you delay Elder Scrolls entirely... which is also a mistake...

In 3-4 years no one is going to care about this Fallout show. Does anyone care about The Witcher now?

People keep asking why Sony is remaking games, when it is much easier/faster to remake a game and have it ready for consumption to a new audience from TV/Movies.

A remade or remastered Fallout 4 would be selling gangbusters right now at full price. When The Last of Us Season 2 comes out, they're going to have 2 nearly full priced games available for purchase on both PS5 and PC rather than the ps4 game for 20 dollars.

Zannegan

Heard the same thing about The Elder Scrolls aroubd the time MS bought them, and that's still years out. My confidence isn't high.

Jaybe

They are leaving money on the table not getting a PS4 version of FO3 and New Vegas out for like $20 each like how Rockstar put out RDR last year, so the current install base can buy it.

Hudo

Again, this is why people don't praise Sony enough on this.

They created a production studio JUST to keep their IP at the forefront and aligned with their game development.

Specifically, so that they don't have a situation like this, where they failed to maximize the potential of their IP.

It'll be 3-4 years at the earliest before they can get a Fallout game out and it would be rushed beyond belief since it hasn't been started yet. On top of that it would need to be made by a different studio in tandem with Bethesda since they're working on Elder's Scrolls. So maybe you delay Elder Scrolls entirely... which is also a mistake...

In 3-4 years no one is going to care about this Fallout show. Does anyone care about The Witcher now?

People keep asking why Sony is remaking games, when it is much easier/faster to remake a game and have it ready for consumption to a new audience from TV/Movies.

A remade or remastered Fallout 4 would be selling gangbusters right now at full price. When The Last of Us Season 2 comes out, they're going to have 2 nearly full priced games available for purchase on both PS5 and PC rather than the ps4 game for 20 dollars.
It certainly helps that Sony have an established infrastructure they can rely on: Sony Pictures.

It certainly helps that Sony have an established infrastructure they can rely on: Sony Pictures.

I mean that isn't much of an excuse, nor would that have changed anything in this situation.

Bethesda made this deal with Amazon well before the purchase even happened, and they just never planned on having a game ready for it.

Microsoft similarly erred when it came to the Halo TV series. They could partner with any studio they want, that's not going to change anything. At best Sony has less difficulty in their timeline because they probably aren't shopping around for distributors generally, at least when it comes to movies. The've still needed to shop their tv shows to different networks/streamers.

Bottom line that's a copout.

And the difference in strategy is really going to show itself over the next 3-5 years.

• The Last of Us Season 2
  • Until Dawn
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Twisted Metal Season 2
  • Uncharted 2
  • Day's Gone
  • Gravity Rush
  • God of War
  • Horizon
compared to what Sony has already done with

• The Last of Us Season 1
  • Uncharted 1
  • Twisted Metal Season 1
  • Gran Turismo

Sony is trying to position PlayStation in being the next Marvel, whereas Microsoft has no clue. They're two decades behind on game development and a decade behind on transmedia.

Dazraell

They are leaving money on the table not getting a PS4 version of FO3 and New Vegas out for like $20 each like how Rockstar put out RDR last year, so the current install base can buy it.
There were rumors of Oblivion and Fallout 3 remasters being in development. I believe they were accidentally leaked by Microsoft themselves on their trial with FTC. They're probably still coming. Virtuos were associated with Oblivion's remaster and I wouldn't be surprised if Fallout 3 would also be done by them too providing Oblivion is indeed their project

Pretty wild that MS couldn't capitalize on the success of the show. Best they could do was a next-gen "update" of F4 (??no attempt at ray-tracing??).

They should have had console/PC 4k60 and ray-traced remasters of F3 and NV greenlit and pushed to launch with the show. It would have been easy money and clout for them.

Hudo

I mean that isn't much of an excuse, nor would that have changed anything in this situation.

Bethesda made this deal with Amazon well before the purchase even happened, and they just never planned on having a game ready for it.

Microsoft similarly erred when it came to the Halo TV series. They could partner with any studio they want, that's not going to change anything. At best Sony has less difficulty in their timeline because they probably aren't shopping around for distributors generally, at least when it comes to movies. The've still needed to shop their tv shows to different networks/streamers.

Bottom line that's a copout.

And the difference in strategy is really going to show itself over the next 3-5 years.

• The Last of Us Season 2
  • Until Dawn
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Twisted Metal Season 2
  • Uncharted 2
  • Day's Gone
  • Gravity Rush
  • God of War
  • Horizon
compared to what Sony has already done with

• The Last of Us Season 1
  • Uncharted 1
  • Twisted Metal Season 1
  • Gran Turismo

Sony is trying to position PlayStation in being the next Marvel, whereas Microsoft has no clue. They're two decades behind on game development and a decade behind on transmedia.
Calm the fuck down, dude. I just mentioned that it certainly helped that they have Sony Pictures.

devutos

Neo Member
Obsidian did New Vegas in 18 months and look how it turned out, still the highest regarded Fallout, so it doesn't need to take 5 or Bethesda's 10 to 20 years.

Yes a lifetime ago. In the same period, Bethesda released Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim in the span of 5 years. Different world.

Laptop1991

Yes a lifetime ago. In the same period, Bethesda released Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim in the span of 5 years. Different world.
Yeah, it was a different world, they also released New Vegas in the same 5 years, they didn't make it, but Bethesda released it, 4 games in 5 years, to what we get now!.

This is where Microsoft needs to just support the older titles, improve them in as many ways as they realistically can... and focus on making an actual great new Fallout game and not rushing anything out just to capitalize on some early success of the TV show.

Hahaha Fallout 5 will be a 2035-2040 release on the playstation7 or playstation 8.

If microsoft wants fallout games, it needs to rip it from the hands of Todd Howard. Oh by the way, the company obtained rights to fallout in 2020, in 2021 microsoft bought bethesda... we could have had a fallout game ready, as long as Todd Howard wasn't involved.

I'm not saying Todd is a bad person or a bad developer. It's just that he's bottlenecking Bethesda output.
Back in the day when games take 2 years to make, it made sense to rotate between TES and Fallout games.

But with a 5+ year time scale between releases, that becomes unacceptable. But Bethesda clearly can't make both at the same time. So Microsoft need to do something on their end, good or bad, to make another Fallout game.

Hudo

TRANSMEDIA.

Trying to position Playstation as the next Marvel is hilarious when Sony doesn't have anything comparably or potentially as interesting.

Twisted Metal... Gran Turismo.. 🤭
Maybe a Jak & Daxter movie or series could work. Since Naughty Dog are unwilling and frankly unable to do a new Jak & Daxter game anyway.

Gojiira

Banned
Calling it now, MS trying to fast track a Fallout game is just going to lead to a fucking garbage game like 4 or 76.

Everyone saying Obsidian should do it need to calm down too, most of the team that made Fallout 1/2/NV what they were are LONG gone and without them Obsidian made The Outer Worlds aka Fallout in Space but with garbage gameplay and poor RPG mechanics with zero depth and piss poor writing. Even Avowed is looking kinda meh and thats supposedly their big AAA dream game…
Could they honestly make a good Fallout? Maybe, if they actually look at what made New Vegas amazing and dont follow F4’s example, and if they dont use Beths garbage engine..But lol Xbox…They’ll fuck it up either way by rushing it out or having a small budget..

StueyDuck

I know everyone's obvious answer is obsidian. But personally outerworlds was rubbish, avowed looks meh and their games generally tend to release as buggy as Bethesda games.

I think the surprise studio would be inXile, they did good work with wasteland, the clockwork game looks interesting. Obviously the hard part is getting the teams heads wrapped around the engine but personally that's the team I'd farm it out to if I was in charge.

Although I don't think any other team is ready to take on a fully fledged 5 personally, but a fallout: "subtitle" made by inXile would be cool

PaintTinJr

The Steam and GOG versions are probably better since you can mod them to hell and back.

I tried the GP version and it was such a stuttery mess on my laptop that I ended up playing it on the Xbox with its FPS boost. I was trying the GP PC version on a 1060 laptop with an i5 and 16GB RAM, which shouldn't have problems with this at all.
Are we talking original Intel Centrino 2 Core-i5 that were all mobile Core-Duos (two core, four thread, etc) or a modern day Core-i5 mobile that is a scaled back desktop i5? If the former, then the CPU could easily be the bottleneck, especially if it is single channel memory setup, and if the SpeedStep base clock of the CPU is less than the PS3/360 3.2GHz clock.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are we talking original Intel Centrino 2 Core-i5 that were all mobile Core-Duos (two core, four thread, etc) or a modern day Core-i5 mobile that is a scaled back desktop i5? If the former, then the CPU could easily be the bottleneck, especially if it is single channel memory setup, and if the SpeedStep base clock of the CPU is less than the PS3/360 3.2GHz clock.

It's a fairly modern one which runs ps4 era games at 60 fps with higher than Pro settings.

PaintTinJr

It's a fairly modern one which runs ps4 era games at 60 fps with higher than Pro settings.
But the PS4 and Pro were a step backwards on the CPU side; especially with single core clock which Bethesda games rely on, and even needed games like Journey rewritten to accommodate the difference. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility you're getting that gaming experience with a dual core cpu and the GPU is doing all the heavy lifting for you, as a mobile 1060 is still a pretty decent chip at today's aging higher end,

adamsapple

But the PS4 and Pro were a step backwards on the CPU side; especially with single core clock which Bethesda games rely on, and even needed games like Journey rewritten to accommodate the difference. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility you're getting that gaming experience with a dual core cpu and the GPU is doing all the heavy lifting for you, as a mobile 1060 is still a pretty decent chip at today's aging higher end,

It's a 7th gen i5 to be more specific, like I said, I run much more modern games without any issue. I've played FO4 on the same laptop.

This is a very specific game issue, and if it's something the unofficial patch-style-mods can fix, I can't use those on the PC Game Pass version anyway 🤷‍♂️

But it's ok, I'm having a fun time with the game on the console, the FPS boost is extremely smooth.

PaintTinJr

It's a 7th gen i5 to be more specific, like I said, I run much more modern games without any issue. I've played FO4 on the same laptop.

This is a very specific game issue, and if it's something the unofficial patch-style-mods can fix, I can't use those on the PC Game Pass version anyway 🤷‍♂️

But it's ok, I'm having a fun time with the game on the console, the FPS boost is extremely smooth.
Yeah, no worries, just for anyone else with something needing more than dual core, you can see these two mobile core-i5 7th gens are dual core at 2.8Ghz and 2.7Ghz so a single core clock bottleneck could be an issue in some games, despite a 1060 mobile.

Sethbacca

Someone greenlit the tv series years ago. The fact that someone didn't have the forethought to have something ready to go to coincide with the release for cross promotion is yet another example of IP mismanagement. They couldn't even have Fallout 4 next gen update ready to go for series release day which is just nuts.

adamsapple

Yeah, no worries, just for anyone else with something needing more than dual core, you can see these two mobile core-i5 7th gens are dual core at 2.8Ghz and 2.7Ghz so a single core clock bottleneck could be an issue in some games, despite a 1060 mobile.

My laptop doesn't have the U processor, it's the HQ variant, it's a genuine gaming laptop (for the time it released in)

It's a 7300HQ, 1060, 16GB RAM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom