• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XboxEvent.com just registered by the same company that did Xbox's E3 presentations

ekim

Rösti;49773675 said:
Nothing big really but I noticed that http://www.xboxevent.com now directs you to a Bing search site instead of just saying that there is no connection. First it displayed a GoDaddy "under construction" site (with a bunch of links and the image of that woman with a backpack). Then the site went completely offline for some weeks, but today it seems there's some "activity" at least.

As I wrote it's nothing big but I thought it should be mentioned. It would be kinda strange if they haven't at least announced the event come GDC (March 25-29), so maybe a theme site or something is being prepared (like the one Sony had for PlayStation Meeting).

now the site went back to offline

edit: no - my cache is acting weird. it still results in the 64.85.67.139 for me.
edit2: ping.eu gives me the bing IP but a ping in the command prompt on my windows machine still gives me the above ip... weird
edit3: dns cache...

ekim

untitled8jb5i.png

Changes afoot :eek:

ekim

Just for the record.
untitledf2jbo.png

Xboxevent.com was transferred into the MSFT nameserver yesterday/today.
Currently it doesn't resolve the name at all after redirecting to bing like all the other domains, that can be seen on this list. So I guess they are really prepping things now.

lynux3

It's now in Microsoft's name servers:

$ dig SOA xboxevent.com | grep IN | grep A
;xboxevent.com. IN SOA
xboxevent.com. 86365 IN SOA ns1.msft.net. msnhst.microsoft.com. 2013031207 1800 900 2419200 3600
ns1.msft.net. 2731 IN A 65.55.37.62
ns1.msft.net. 900 IN AAAA 2a01:111:2005::1:1

Edit: late

ekim

It's now in Microsoft's name servers:

$ dig SOA xboxevent.com | grep IN | grep A
;xboxevent.com. IN SOA
xboxevent.com. 86365 IN SOA ns1.msft.net. msnhst.microsoft.com. 2013031207 1800 900 2419200 3600
ns1.msft.net. 2731 IN A 65.55.37.62
ns1.msft.net. 900 IN AAAA 2a01:111:2005::1:1

Edit: late

It was in there for 2 days now afaik - until yesterday it 302'd you to the bing website but now the name cannot be resolved. (at least over here in GER)

lynux3

It was in there for 2 days now afaik - until yesterday it 302'd you to the bing website but now the name cannot be resolved. (at least over here in GER)

You're correct. The domain name doesn't resolve to anywhere. Probably waiting until an official announcement then point the domain to some VIP.

ekim

You're correct. The domain name doesn't resolve to anywhere. Probably waiting until an official announcement then point the domain to some VIP.

Well I'm curious as of why they didn't just left it redirecting to bing.
Another odd thing is, that every other domain registered by eventcore/ustechs so far lies not within the MSFT domain server.

Doffen

Another odd thing is, that every other domain registered by eventcore/ustechs so far lies not within the MSFT domain server.

Maybe Microsoft want's 100% control over this.

lynux3

Eh, a name server is a name server. The only interesting part is that xboxevent.com's start of authority (SOA) is msft.net. What are some other domains from eventcore/ustechs?

lynux3

startfy14.com
microsofthostingsummit.com

microsofthostingsummit.com is on msft.net name servers and it is the SOA.

startfy14 SOA is aws (amazon web services).

Honestly anyone could host your DNS, but your hardware could be in your own datacenter or someone elses. A lot of companies do this, even Sony and Nintendo.

Hell, Microsoft host some of their game websites (age of empires) with hosting companies even though they're more than capable of hosting it themselves.

ekim

imageszjx4.jpg

The website's title just changed from "changes afoot" to "nazwe domeny" which is Polish for domain-name. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Weird.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
imageszjx4.jpg

The website's title just changed from "changes afoot" to "nazwe domeny" which is Polish for domain-name. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Weird.
"nazwę domeny" is indeed Polish for "domain name". And this change is indeed weird. Shame robots.txt cannot be accessed at the moment, it could perhaps provide a bit more info. Well, we're one week away from GDC more or less, so if they don't wanna risk getting overrun by Sony they better start talking soon (at least they could acknowledge this event).

ekim

Seems to be a placeholder. But why in polish and why all this changes although the domain can't be resolved at all? I guess they are moving things around... Idk

ekim

Probably BS but:
http://gamefans.com/2013/03/16/micr...-ps4-waiting-until-e3-to-reveal-the-xbox-720/

But Microsoft doesn’t appear to threatened. In fact, they might not reveal the Xbox 720 until June at E3, according to our source. Sony put the ball in Microsoft’s court by disclosing the PlayStation 4 specs, leading many to wonder what the Xbox 720 might have in store.

Our source at Microsoft tells us that internally, the company isn’t worried one bit about the PlayStation 4. They’re very confident in not only the hardware specs of the next generation Xbox, but the games and the online features. Developers have had the final version of the Xbox 720 dev kit for a while now, and are pleased with its architecture.

Sony revealed the PS4 on February 20th with some powerful hardware, including an 8-core CPU and 8 GB of RAM. The console was made with developers in mind, and Sony showcased plenty of online and social features, including the ability to stream PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.

There still isn’t any hard evidence of what kind of hardware Microsoft packs in the Xbox 720, but at the very least, we know that they’re confident about the console they’re building.

It now appears Sony will have a few more months of free media buzz, as Microsoft will take their time and wait for E3. E3 2013 kicks off on June 11 in Los Angeles.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
well MS dont need to rush they will have hype up to E3 because people will be wanting to know about the console and how its gonna fair against Sony.

fans and gamers will be creating the hype MS will just add to it. i think this threads proves that :p

Hopefully it's BS, because I feel waiting until E3 would be a mistake. The problem with waiting isn't giving Sony more time before the next Xbox is unveiled, because in all honesty I don't think that matters much. The bigger problem is there will be so much other noise at E3 that it's almost a certainty that the impact will be lessened with Sony and Nintendo holding events the next day.

pswii60

well MS dont need to rush they will have hype up to E3 because people will be wanting to know about the console and how its gonna fair against Sony.

fans and gamers will be creating the hype MS will just add to it. i think this threads proves that :p

Not to mention none of this forum hype and discussion means anything in the big wide real world. It really wouldn't matter if they revealed it merely a week before release. In the long-term, it'll be down to their marketing message, the product itself, unique selling points, launch line-up - and whether it all resonates with consumers.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully it's BS, because I feel waiting until E3 would be a mistake. The problem with waiting isn't giving Sony more time before the next Xbox is unveiled, because in all honesty I don't think that matters much. The bigger problem is there will be so much other noise at E3 that it's almost a certainty that the impact will be lessened with Sony and Nintendo holding events the next day.

depends what they announce. it sounds like MS have confidence in what they have to show which is good. just means MS can go full steam ahead at E3 instead of trickling info like Sony are

depends what they announce. it sounds like MS have confidence in what they have to show which is good. just means MS can go full steam ahead at E3 instead of trickling info like Sony are

Sony isn't tricking info, they had their event and will have a big games and services blowout at E3. Look at the PS4 unveil, that thing lasted an eternity and there is still a metric fuckton of info about the services, games, and other details about the machine that still need to come out. You can't just cram all this stuff into a 90 minute E3 presser.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Sony isn't tricking info, they had their event and will have a big games and services blowout at E3. Look at the PS4 unveil, that thing lasted an eternity and there is still a metric fuckton of info about the services, games, and other details about the machine that still need to come out. You can't just cram all this stuff into a 90 minute E3 presser.

and most of it will be forgotten by E3 and they will have to rehash the info again

jmood88

I don't believe that Microsoft will wait until June but I don't understand why people keep saying that waiting is a mistake. Like I said earlier, the ps4 isn't on sale or even available for pre-order so it's not like Sony is gaining sales from announcing so early.

I don't think confidence translates into people knowing what your product is. It's seems silly to just sit on your hands while the competition is out there getting people hyped.

pswii60

I don't think confidence translates into people knowing what your product is. It's seems silly to just sit on your hands while the competition is out there getting people hyped.

By that thinking, Sony and Microsoft should both have announced their consoles before Nintendo announced Wii U in 2011.

PS4 hype is already dying down - and limited to gaming forums like this. As I said in my post earlier - none of this will matter at all in the long-term. We don't even know if Durango is releasing this year at this stage either.

gaming_noob

For two products releasing seven to eight months away, in a five to eight year life cycle (judging from this current generation's length)....no, it's not silly.

By that thinking, Sony and Microsoft should both have announced their consoles before Nintendo announced Wii U in 2011.

Sony left Nintendo only a few months on the market by themselves before they made a PR event that was bigger than Nintendo's reveal.

PS4 hype is already dying down - and limited to gaming forums like this. As I said in my post earlier - none of this will matter at all in the long-term. We don't even know if Durango is releasing this year at this stage either.

I see people at work talking about the PS4. Radiologists (and other residents/staff/etc) talking about a game machine that they likely won't put much time into because of how much they work, but they are interested in it.

What if the market MS is after isn't the type that would read about consoles on forums?

disgonbegud.gif

I see people at work talking about the PS4. Radiologists (and other residents/staff/etc) talking about a game machine that they likely won't put much time into because of how much they work, but they are interested in it.

Complete opposite of my experience. I attend an arts/performing arts university, studying concept art and game design, and nobody is talking about the PS4.

I think the Sony Hype has peaked for the time being and is even slowly declining in some of the non gaming publics mind. Microsoft may be attempting to overshadow Sony at E3 with a console announcement. I don't think it's the route that I would take only because of 3rd party developers wanting to showcase their games, and all of these ads that are now placing the "PS4" title on them and not the next xbox. Microsoft doesn't want any of the 3rd party games to be in the mindset of gamers as "playstation" games.

ekim

Sony left Nintendo only a few months on the market by themselves before they made a PR event that was bigger than Nintendo's reveal.

disgonbegud.gif

My coworkers are also pretty hyped for the PS4 and talking about it nearly every day and they aren't "gamers"

FrankT

Wouldn't surprise me at all. MS isn't a company at least when it comes to gaming in the last 5 years to have enough content to basically have two showings one month apart. They have been throwing all their eggs in one basket for years now.

Not confident in MS strategy at all right now, but we shall see. Moneyhats can do amazing things too.

I'd say 50/50 on an event before E3 at this point.

Sony is definitely doing its job to sway this 360 only (console) gamer their way next-gen. Strategy definitely working so far, but many questions remain on both sides.

Time will tell.

gaming_noob

I see none of that where I work - and I work with techies.

deadlast

Same here people at work and friends who aren't gamers are excited about the PS4. All of them have a PS3. A few of my Xbox only buddies are making the switch to PS4 next gen, unless MS shows them something amazing. Microsoft should do a Teaser this month, just to get people's attention.

Complete opposite of my experience. I attend an arts/performing arts university, studying concept art and game design, and nobody is talking about the PS4.

My coworkers are also pretty hyped for the PS4 and talking about it nearly every day and they aren't "gamers"

I think that's odd that non-techies are talking about it, while people that supposedly know tech, aren't.

I mean, some of the docs I work with (Interventional radiologists are big on gaming.. hand dexterity and all) have gaming PC's, but they aren't exactly "in the know" when it comes to technology and they are loving the thing.

gaming_noob

I think that's odd that non-techies are talking about it, while people that supposedly know tech, aren't.

I mean, some of the docs I work with (Interventional radiologists are big on gaming.. hand dexterity and all) have gaming PC's, but they aren't exactly "in the know" when it comes to technology and they are loving the thing.

Not odd at all. They just have more important things to worry about.

pestul

While we're playing the 'anecdotal' evidence game here, I was at a St. Patrick's party yesterday and a lot of people had heard of PS4, but were more interested in the next Xbox even with no information on it (they didn't know about leaked specs for either).

I don't think MS should wait primarily because it isn't fair to multiplatform game developers (or 1st party) who really want to announce and show titles for fall launch. But then again, I guess they can get away with the whole "on next generation" platforms descriptor.

Tomcat

yeah the hype for the ps4 has been dead already except on sites like neogaf. it will pick up again after e3 surely
people these days have short attention spans. Now its all about the galaxy s4 next it will be the new ipad mini and after that the new nexus 7 etc. Sony should have known this but chose otherwise.

Top Bottom