• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox's Aaron Greenberg: "We have a lot planned to show for 2023, you will not have to wait too long for what’s next for us. Timing is key."

DaGwaphics

Except the downside -- when games get delayed.

Suppose a case in which Starfield and Forza get delayed to Q3 and Q4 2023 and push Avowed and Hellblade to Q3 and Q4 2024. They'll be showing Starfield and Forza again in E3 2023 (because those would now be released in the next 12 months), although they had already showed them in E3 2022 because they were supposed to release in 2022 (the next 12 months back then).

Sure, fair point. It would make it important to be confident you are near the finish line before you start talking.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Starfield looks good, although after the shit show of FO4 and 76 I'm keeping my expectations to a minimum.

Redfall isn't my cup of tea.

I know we'll get a new Forza, which is a series that is consistently amazing. Looking forward to that.

Also hoping that we get a suprise. Maybe something like Hellblade 2 to release at the end of the year.

Fredrik

The 12 months strategy would be a great PR booster if they stick with it. The show early this year lacked a bit of luster only because they'd already talked about almost everything that was coming previously. If they keep going down that path, eventually you start to get premiers that are also within the 12 month window, that gives them plenty of time to hype without dragging it out too long.
An early year (January) event for the coming 12 months would be okay if they show or talk about games further out at E3.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
its a typical double standard that sony fans use that makes little sense imo. Not only that but we already know about more games coming in 2023 on xbox compared to PS first party, yet we see people saying xbox has no games but sony has stuff waiting to show?

The issue is that even if Xbox has a great 2023 for releases, what will 2024 look like? What about 2025?

Its a pipeline, and the current Xbox management's track record at maintaining a steady cadence of big releases is really not at all good.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Starfield looks good, although after the shit show of FO4 and 76 I'm keeping my expectations to a minimum.

Redfall isn't my cup of tea.

I know we'll get a new Forza, which is a series that is consistently amazing. Looking forward to that.

Also hoping that we get a suprise. Maybe something like Hellblade 2 to release at the end of the year.
Yeah I was really underwhelmed with Redfall, usually Arkane put out amazing games ...Minus Deathloop I hated it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Please understand, xbox game studios is just a small indie publisher, its not realistic to expect them to have release dates for titles they claim are launching in the first half of the new year. Just like how its certainly unrealistic to expect them to have something new to show for games announced 2-3 years ago. How can you people be so entitled?……

/s

Shit or get off the pot Phil.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sure, fair point. It would make it important to be confident you are near the finish line before you start talking.
That being said, if a delay out of the first half of the year is expected for starfield, forza, or redfall…the sooner they admit it, the better.

They’ve got to shut up and deliver at this point.

I’m very positive on my experience with Xbox this gen, series x plus gamepass is a winner. But no more talk, they need to hit hard in 2023 the way fans are hoping.

DaGwaphics

That being said, if a delay out of the first half of the year is expected for starfield, forza, or redfall…the sooner they admit it, the better.

True. I really expect at least one of those to get pushed back, even if all three are ready to go in the first half. Seems like it would just crowd the first half more than you would want, unless they have a really busy back half planned as well.

While I'd be sad to have to wait longer for it, I can see them maybe pushing Starfield back until Nov 23. Making it their big holiday release, maybe with special edition console bundles and all that.

Last edited:
Yeah, like I get why Xbox wants their own hype event rather than sinking to a big collective hype event but consider the fact that what people want most from them are just release dates on games that were supposed to be out by now. Game Awards would have been perfect to come back with release date trailer for Starfield or Redfall.
Yea even a trailer for Redfall or another montage of planets for starfield…timing is everything and 80+ million viewers the game award attracts is the perfect time.

Yea even a trailer for Redfall or another montage of planets for starfield…timing is everything and 80+ million viewers the game award attracts is the perfect time.

To be fair I am not entirely sure if those viewere numbers are actually accurate.

But yes there were still millions of people watching it though many weren't (like me) so you would think they would have had an end of the year event like they did last year, which they hinted at early this year they would do, but haven't. But to be fair Sony did the same thing and they aren't having an event either.

But there's a rumor MS will have one at the start of next year.

To be fair I am not entirely sure if those viewere numbers are actually accurate.

But yes there were still millions of people watching it though many weren't (like me) so you would think they would have had an end of the year event like they did last year, which they hinted at early this year they would do, but haven't. But to be fair Sony did the same thing and they aren't having an event either.

But there's a rumor MS will have one at the start of next year.
I would appreciate a q1 showcase giving more details on 2023 games. They need that in regards to exclusives since it’s been a drought and not dates are definitive rn.

I would appreciate a q1 showcase giving more details on 2023 games. They need that in regards to exclusives since it’s been a drought and not dates are definitive rn.

I am a bit confused as to why IF this rumored new conference does exist, why they didn't just do a late year X022 event like they hinted at early this year, and are pushing it to early 2023, because if the conference is true and is in 2023, than what's a one or two month difference?

Lions Gate

same clown, same shit every fucking year

mSnKIJa.jpg

zET3A5b.jpg

fdSwiLi.jpg

NG27lLN.jpg

2023 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

01Swrww.jpg

Only on GAF is it notable that the VP of Xbox Games Marketing says that the brand he's representing is going to have a great year.
The VP of Xbox Games Marketing is all sunshine and rainbows when it comes to their brand's future. They're probably just trying to pump up morale and get people excited about the new games and consoles they're releasing, because let's be real, who doesn't like to hear good news? But I can't blame them, it's their job to make their brand look good, even if that means being a little overly optimistic. But hey, who knows? Maybe they'll surprise us and this will actually be a great year for Xbox.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Seems pretty obvious that they are saying he says this same thing every year. Somehow I don't think the ability to recognize repetitions is unique to GAF.

Okay, but who cares? Find me a marketing exec that isn't saying similar positive things about their brand on the regular. It's like, no shit? That's literally part of his job.

For users here to be framing it as some kind of a gotcha that they've found these posts or as some proof of Greenberg being some grandiose liar is asinine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Okay, but who cares? Find me a marketing exec that isn't saying similar positive things about their brand on the regular. It's like, no shit? That's literally part of his job.

For users here to be framing it as some kind of a gotcha that they've found these posts or as some proof of Greenberg being some grandiose liar is asinine.
People are just in the fed up stage of show/release more, talk less. And sarcastically congratulating him for finally getting the tweet to match the year.

Especially for a dude who had a history of stoking console war chest pounding.

Topher

Gold Member

I don't see anyone calling him a liar at all. I see folks making fun of him for saying the same shit every year. So what? He's a big boy and gets paid well. It will be ok.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
In the meantime the Switch will have released Fire Emblem and PS5 will have Forspoken before this showcase. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I'm not sure why they're waiting almost a full month into the year to talk about how big this year will be.

Kacho

In the meantime the Switch will have released Fire Emblem and PS5 will have Forspoken before this showcase. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I'm not sure why they're waiting almost a full month into the year to talk about how big this year will be.
I don't think any of their games are releasing until Spring at the earliest so what does it matter?

As will PC. I am borderline on building a PC. It's been 20+ years since I built my last one, but with free online and all these PS/Xbox games coming to PC, I am getting that itch.
IMO do it and don't look back. A mid range build will give you access to loads of games you wouldn't have access to otherwise, plus way better performance in general.

Last edited:
Top Bottom