• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 Review thread

Luq

I wouldn't be too pessimistic about a console release. If it does well on PC, chances are pretty good it'll get ported to everything eventually, just like the last XCOM.

There might've been budget constraints that made them bet everything on PC as a start.

It's only my guess, but the pre-release event month or two ago also had journos from console-only magazines. We were playing on PCs but my bet is console version is just matter of time. It would make no sense to invite them if that's not the case.

Tagyhag

To those that want controller support.

Remember, the team could eventually put them back if they do a console port.

And considering how modding friendly the game is, someone could mod in controller support in the coming weeks.

KDC720

Really loved Enemy Unknown and Within, so this is great. My laptop can't run it at all though, so I'll wait for if/when it hits the consoles.

Hopeford

I imagine they'll make a console version later once they see what mods they want to add to the console version. I don't know, they just seem so open about mods improving their game but given how consoles are I imagine they'd need to basically integrate them natively(and talk to mod developers about it) before making a console version.

Kind of prefer to play this kind of game on pc anyway though, so I'm cool either way.

Red Hood

Banned
I should play Enemy Unknown.

i-should-buy-a-boat-meme.jpg

Shadowrun somewhat familiarised me with the XCOM combat, so it's just a matter of time.

Tworak

10/10 console port begging thread

happy with the reviews. and whatever isn't perfect with the game is fixable with mods.

Atilac

And considering how modding friendly the game is, someone could mod in controller support in the coming weeks.

Yes but I won't buy the game on the chance it will happen, it has to happen before I lay down money. I'm super disappointed :(

High scores actually shocked me, expected this game to be mediocre/bland . Was gonna wait to buy it, but just bought it with the gmg code.

it's not so simple as to "mod" controller support. You could do that with games like Mass Effect because the modder was pulling the controller stuff out of the 360 version. Otherwise, there isn't really a way to get the game to recognize a controller if it wasn't designed to do so outside of xpadder or something like that, which is really just mouse and keyboard emulation

What you can do is, like you said, wait for a possible console port and hope they implement controller support from that into the pc version. Or hope that Firaxis implements controller support sometime soon since they did mention looking into it.

OR you can use a steam controller, which will let you use a controller day one with the game.

patapuf

10/10 console port begging thread

happy with the reviews. and whatever isn't perfect with the game is fixable with mods.

Yeah, the modabilty makes me very happy. I hope some dedicated souls will attempt some total conversion mods like we see in CIV or Total war. :p

Aaron D.

I've been debating on whether to push off playing this for a couple weeks for this exact reason. I've already got the game paid in full, but I also just wrapped up a 75 hour Enemy Within (PC) campaign strictly using the 360 pad. The prospect of going back to k/m for XCOM 2 is a tad disheartening, tbh.

Ironically, there's exactly one other PC game I use the 360 controller for and that's Euro Truck Simulator 2. Given that American Truck Simulator is launching in less than 48 hours, maybe I'll focus on that first and see if any modders step up with comprehensive controller support for XCOM 2.

Bah. Who am I kidding?

Kyougar

I don't think they will, it'll do more harm than good, late ports rarely do well on consoles.

This type of game never had an audience on consoles, the first game undersold, sure, but it got good reception critically, was on PSN+, they needed to use that one to cultivate an audience, and then grow it with the sequel, but they took the easy, safe route of just releasing it on PC, because of that they've burned whatever audience they had on consoles, chucking console players a bone a few years later will mean it'd not sell again, and back up the "doesn't sell well on consoles" narrative the first game had.

i don't think it is a huge loss, its a PC game first and foremost, it is disappointing that 2K weren't in it for the long haul, as its a game series that deserves a massive audience.

Lookling forward to 00.01 on Friday, will be there missing 80% shots until i fall asleep.

nah, they tried, they REALLY tried. But the xpac on consoles tanked hard. The xpac to the game that they created a console audience for and which the console audience didnt buy after getting the base Game free on PSN.

TI82

Banned
No controller support? Weird, the first and xpac were so good with controller. Guess this is why the steam controller is good tho

Jawmuncher

Since I need to play the first still, I hope at some point they reconsider controller support by the time I get around to it. Or that someone mods it in. Steam Controller is too much for the small amount of games I would use it on.

IGN said:
And performance-wise? Let’s just say I’m glad this is a turn-based game, because it can’t hold 60 frames a second even on above-recommended hardware. The problem doesn’t seem to be related to on-screen action, since it’s often most pronounced when my six soldiers are sitting in the Skyranger drop ship on the way to the battle, and less so in the heat of the action itself.

:(

Well they were on console. As much as controllee support is cool, it's not really necessary anymore.

Ridiculous. The controller support on PC was fantastic and just gave players more ways to play the game.

Hoping for mod support to patch it in, Xcom is a game I like to play leaning back in my chair with my feet up, not locked on the WASD and mouse.

So, for some, especially those that played the hell out of the last one on PC with a controller, not supporting controllers at launch is a huge bummer.

Sure, YOU might not care. But others can.

If you order today at Greenmangaming.com then you get 27% off with this coupon 27PERC-OFFXCO-M2GAME

GMG has been funky with this for me. I get errors when trying to get the standard edition from their home page, and that code doesn't work for the NA version it seems. Anyone else have any luck?

KingErich

Banned
Strange there is no controller support. The first one played great with a controller. It's turned based so there really isn't any need for quick mouse movements like in an RTS.

Not a big deal to me either way. I still haven't finished playing EU nor even touched EW. It runs great on the Alienware Alpha. Played a few missions this weekend.

Ridiculous. The controller support on PC was fantastic and just gave players more ways to play the game.

Hoping for mod support to patch it in, Xcom is a game I like to play leaning back in my chair with my feet up, not locked on the WASD and mouse.

So, for some, especially those that played the hell out of the last one on PC with a controller, not supporting controllers at launch is a huge bummer.

I played the EU and ew on consoles and pc and I'm bummed about it but it simply wasn't one o their main priorities. I'm sure people will figure out a way to have non native controller support within the week and I can see Firaxis adding in native support later.

I played some Enemy Within ironman classic mode this weekend. It was fun, didn't make it very far. Slender men guys kept wrecking my troops.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy this one at release. Is there a storyline in the first one that is worth finishing? I have never made it more than 2-3 hours into the game before restarting.

Apoc29

it's not so simple as to "mod" controller support. You could do that with games like Mass Effect because the modder was pulling the controller stuff out of the 360 version. Otherwise, there isn't really a way to get the game to recognize a controller if it wasn't designed to do so outside of xpadder or something like that, which is really just mouse and keyboard emulation

What you can do is, like you said, wait for a possible console port and hope they implement controller support from that into the pc version. Or hope that Firaxis implements controller support sometime soon since they did mention looking into it.

OR you can use a steam controller, which will let you use a controller day one with the game.

I believe the devs themselves mentioned that controller support is probably the first thing that they expect (community?) modders to put into the game, so it should be possible.

Lucifon

Strange there is no controller support. The first one played great with a controller. It's turned based so there really isn't any need for quick mouse movements like in an RTS.

Not a big deal to me either way. I still haven't finished playing EU nor even touched EW. It runs great on the Alienware Alpha. Played a few missions this weekend.

I got a steam link and a wireless keyboard with touchpad just for this reason. Frustrating there's no controller support though!

Lingitiz

That's how I'm playing the game. SC will probably work great with this, especially using touch pad commands.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This doesn't seem available at all in North America. And by that I don't mean that the voucher doesn't work, I just mean that the game can't even be pre-ordered.
I got that error, then I logged in and it's letting me add it to my cart now, but the voucher isn't working? I'll hold off on buying to see if anyone can figure it all out.

Mupod

GMG has been funky with this for me. I get errors when trying to get the standard edition from their home page, and that code doesn't work for the NA version it seems. Anyone else have any luck?

Weird. I preordered the deluxe edition from them weeks ago, Canadian. I've seen this code passed around for a while now and this is the first I've heard of it not working.

I played the EU and ew on consoles and pc and I'm bummed about it but it simply wasn't one o their main priorities. I'm sure people will figure out a way to have non native controller support within the week and I can see Firaxis adding in native support later.

Sure, and I thought I read somewhere that native controller support was on the list to add in over time.

By all accounts, it looks like they've made an amazing game. So no problems with the prioritizing!

Just strange when people say "I like X, therefore all other things are unnecessary".

I hope I can afford a new PC later this year, so I can play this well. My laptop is below minimum spec, and I don't want to run a game like this below 900p.

I didnt say I didn't care. It's just not such a big deal that I will pass up on playing it. Just like I would have loved to see a basic hotseat co-op mode for missions. It would be fairly easy to implement and cool, but it's not something I expected the developer to do themselves given that most people wouldn't take advantage of it so it's not a priority for the developer to work on it.

Megabat

I need to finish Enemy Unknown. I have about 50 hours over a couple of files. It was my first strategy game (!).

Also, the console port will A. Happen and B. Be lovely (if EU is anything to go by (I played EU on PC with a 360 controller)).

Sure, and I thought I read somewhere that native controller support was on the list to add in over time.

By all accounts, it looks like they've made an amazing game. So no problems with the prioritizing!

Just strange when people say "I like X, therefore all other things are unnecessary".
Yeah my only qualm about it was I remember reading at one point they said they were designing the interface with mouse and keyboard in mind so it wouldn't work as well with a controller but as far as I can tell it's basically the same thing as the last game?

Top Bottom