• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X "Direct" on Feb. 6 [info in OP]

jorgejjvr

I need this

Edit: it's a separate story. It's not related. The combat is similar and some of the races like the Nopon are back. If you do get a chance try xenoblade first though, it is a masterpiece. And coming out again on new 3ds before X :p

Akai

I might buy a Wii U for this game. Was gonna get one for Zelda either way, but this sure is tempting.

Is it a direct sequel to the Wii game? Do you need to have played it to understand what's going on? Or is it like FF, a separate story set in the same universe?

Regardless of whether or not Xenoblade ties into XCX, it's absolutely required you play it!

CONS:

• As stated, the voices are atrocious. I can only hope that somehow the Localization teams do a good job. But I'll miss the British VA's from Xenoblade :(

Edit: wait i understood that wrong.

Anyway i like what i see, The British cast of the original game was unique but odd at the same time, I liked it personally, but alot of people switched the VA to JP so eh.

Verger

Banned
You just missed it.

Treehouse footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTW1sjmoY2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTW1sjmoY2c

Also during E3 every big online game site did a video play thru the demo themselves and uploaded the footage with commentary
I remembered those. But it's not something they have highlighted since then. I suppose they could do another direct or video where they'll showcase it more. But for now they've not really emphasized it much in their previews.

LordOfChaos

"we're the remnant of a doomed planet, with a limited population and limited resources. Possibly also limited real estate in which the world is hospitable. What should we do?"
"Err...Build giant houses and pools?"
"...It's brilliant, Jenkins, you get a promotion".

Astral Dog

my god it looks gorgeous, online without damaging the SP content too.
It will be sad when the game ends with a horrible death.

ivysaur12

Banned
I know it's going to bomb because the WiiU numbers are so abysmal, but I want it to do well and become a regular franchise for Nintendo. So badly.

udivision

I know it's going to bomb because the WiiU numbers are so abysmal, but I want it to do well and become a regular franchise for Nintendo. So badly.

Not to mention their marketing budget was probably blown on making this YouTube video...

Hyperbole, but still.

Soriku

- The military complex and his future part as an evil corporation are so anime cliché you can already see it from a mile away

- textures in the city look bad. Why include a ridiculous café in a space arc and then not even make it beautiful?

Xenosaga and Xenoblade were mostly transparent with who the villains were. Didn't really have any bearing on whether they were good villains or not.

The city doesn't look as good as the other environments, but I like how spacious it is and being modeled after LA. Seems like a fun city.

Finally watched the direct, here are my thoughts.

PROS:
  • The music is so divisive which seems to be Sawano's specialty. His non-vocal pieces sound great. But his vocal arrangements are just bad. I personally cannot stand JPOP-to-Engrish translations and vocals because if you actually listen to the lyrics they are laughably bad. I definitely am worried this OST will not be anywhere near as good as the original Xenoblade.

Vocal tracks didn't sound too bad IMO. The tracks that played in the last trailer and the second trailer were very good too.

Astral Dog

Not to mention their marketing budget was probably blown on making this YouTube video...

Hyperbole, but still.
Isn't Kyoto already pretty much a support team?
Yes, but..something different, more safe, maybe helping other teams for a time, or getting lower budget,who knows though.

But one thing i like about Nintendo is that they treat their niche games with the same care as main franchises, no, not advertising, i mean overall budget and production values. they know these games are quality even if not as popular or appealing as the usual stuff

Reveirg

It all looks amazing! :D

My only two worries:

-Still no confirmation on controlling characters other than MC?
-Only one town/city? They might just not be showing us the others I guess.

I wonder if the game will have more than the 5 continents. Slight Xenoblade spoilers:
Like in Xenoblade when you think you've seen everything and they make you explore Mechonis O_O.

Y06W4Tz.jpg

People are mini Zohars.

Hopefully a hint at a Xenosaga REmake...wishful thinking.

TheMoon

I remembered those. But it's not something they have highlighted since then. I suppose they could do another direct or video where they'll showcase it more. But for now they've not really emphasized it much in their previews.

? There was combat footage in the November trailer. And the next livestream will cover combat AGAIN.

I really think you're making this all up in your head. They haven't shied away from showing combat one bit.

My only two worries:

I wonder if the game will have more than the 5 continents. Like in Xenoblade when you think you've seen everything and they make you explore Mechonis O_O.

Spoiler tag please?

Min0

My only two worries:

I wonder if the game will have more than the 5 continents. Like in Xenoblade when you think you've seen everything and they make you explore Mechonis O_O.

In the video you can see some parts in which the player controls Elma, while the MC follows.

Dang0

So long as it does as well as other Wii U titles it'll be considered a success by nintendo I would think. Its never gonna do Mario Kart numbers but if it can get similar numbers to thier other first paty games on the platform, then we'll see xenoblade again.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This game is a couple of decimal orders of magnitude larger than what I could afford to play and ever finish.

ironcreed

Banned
Might look a bit jank but I can live with it. I'm glad they're doing more stuff with platforming like this.

jtdagd.gif

Not janky at all. If there is one thing I hate it is a weak jump mechanic where it is more of a small hop than a leap. Glad to see that is not the case here. The game looks fun as hell.

OryoN

Nothing janky looking there.

Poor wording, maybe. It's the jumping when not on a platform. Makes me think of the super jump from the Donkey Kong Country series.

They are probably intentionally 'cheating' a bit here, because they don't want players hung up on unnecessarily precise - and ultimately frustrating - platform elements when they're really trying to explore. But yes, it looks way too blatant there.

It's the same case with the swiming, covering ridiculous distances that don't seem proportional to the animation or the laws of physics. How tedious it would be to explore vast bodies of water at more realistic speeds. Sometimes you have to suspend 'realism' for the sake of a better play experience. Jumping crazy high/far, and falling from ridiculous heights without dying all fit in there for that very purpose too.

Top Bottom