• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like it has some unique textures in the game

kewlmyc

Eek, I didn't see or hear a single good thing in that video.

Terrible music.
Terrible random running around in panties.
Terrible graphics.

Hopefully it's a misrepresentation of the actual game, because shit looks shitty.

You can dress yourself up however you want. It's like judging GTA Online because you saw a stream of a guy running around in only hot pants.

SkyOdin

Why make a thread to point out a single instance of a texture not loading properly in a videogame, when all sorts of games have this issue? I can point out dozens of games where I've seen this happen. It happens, and Nintendo already has taken steps to reduce it with the data packs.

I swear, people have been extremely nit-picky about minor aspects of this game. It feels like people have been quick to misrepresent it in spite of the fact that we have plenty of information about the game to contradict this stuff.

Oh boy...now that thread won't end will. Everyone will say "the game looks like shit and it should be on PS4 instead" and that will be mainly from people who didn't watch the stream yesterday where you saw that the game runs well and looks great for an open world title.

Already shown by esuteru a few hours ago

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8144590.html

Apparently more than 20 second loads when you enter a base area and severe texture streaming issues.

I'm guessing that's what the "loading packs" are for. They should probably have just bundled them all together and made them mandatory. Nobody should want to see their game like that.

Also, don't trust famitsu for anything.

Stil hyped for the game though

Lol WTH are you even talking about? They're included in the digital copy, if you want them for physical copy you just download them. It's not that hard. 'make them mandatory', lmao. Ugh. Eff options, eff flexibility. JUST DOWNLOAD THEM FOR YOURSELF it's not an issue.

Wait a second......... if the data packs aren't available, why did Famitsu say the loading times were good?

Digital* review copy?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why make a thread to point out a single instance of a texture not loading properly in a videogame, when all sorts of games have this issue? I can point out dozens of games where I've seen this happen. It happens, and Nintendo already has taken steps to reduce it with the data packs.

I swear, people have been extremely nit-picky about minor aspects of this game. It feels like people have been quick to misrepresent it in spite of the fact that we have plenty of information about the game to contradict this stuff.

Because is more important to get a win in the console wars than to honor a great game.

Talax

Where are the PC emulator when you need them? :p

Not really bothered that much tbh. I guess those data packs are gonna be there for a reason.

Vena

IIRC, the data pack are already up for download.

They are indeed, and they fix this issue. This is data streaming limitations from physical media.

I have no idea what this thread is about... its a problem that everyone has been fully aware of for weeks and was corrected before the game launched.

Chaos17

IIRC, the data pack are already up for download.

Are you sure ? Weren't they just announced them ?
I'm asking this because people in the chat though the same and someone corrected them it was just an annoucement since the streamers couldn't download them (ok, none were from Japan, though)

Kodaman

So this is the new
bTNHPL9.png
?

chadboban

Knew this was gonna happen the instant I saw that screen. I know this post is gonna get ignored but I might as well put it here anyway.

Here are the data packs. Maybe you can add it to the OP to avoid any confusion.

Basic Data Pack (2 GB) – Effect: Large
A data pack containing terrain data that will allow faster loading while in the city and the game’s various fields. This data pack is required for other Data Packs to work.
Enemy Data Pack (2.7 GB) – Effect: Medium
Installs enemy data to the HDD, If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it further speed up load times while out in the field.
Player Data Pack (3.6 GB) – Effect: Medium
Will install data regarding the armor and graphics of the player. If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it will speed up loading in the city and when equipping changes in the shops in New Los Angeles.
Doll Data Pack (1.7 GB) – Effect: Medium
Will install data regarding the Doll mechs. If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it will speed up read times when Dolls appear. You will get faster loading times while in the city and in the fields.

AdanVC

Knew this was gonna happen the instant I saw that screen. I know this post is gonna get ignored but I might as well put it here anyway.

A data pack containing terrain data that will allow faster loading while in the city and the game’s various fields. This data pack is required for other Data Packs to work.
Installs enemy data to the HDD, If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it further speed up load times while out in the field.
Will install data regarding the armor and graphics of the player. If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it will speed up loading in the city and when equipping changes in the shops in New Los Angeles.
Will install data regarding the Doll mechs. If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it will speed up read times when Dolls appear. You will get faster loading times while in the city and in the fields.

There ya' go, OP!

Knew this was gonna happen the instant I saw this.

But...but this whole thread isn't neccessary if true! ;_;

Chaos17

Then....what was the point of this thread

Give an opprtunity to throw tomaotes at a Nintendo game ?
That's ain't rare. Just like the "Ewwww music" thread from just one song

Thanks for reposting this :)

Scum

They are indeed, and they fix this issue. This is data streaming limitations from physical media.

I have no idea what this thread is about... its a problem that everyone has been fully aware of for weeks and was corrected before the game launched.

Vena, pls. You know all too well. :p

Games without all the features available do not look good, everyone panic.

zknS7MG.png

ASIS

No it's not. The majority of people probably won't have the space for 10GB's of downloads.
I suppose that means the flaw is in Nintendo's design philosophy for the Wii U then, which is not what the thread is about.

anyway, yeah the video was pretty bad:/

Vena

No it's not. The majority of people probably won't have the space for 10GB's of downloads.

The majority don't have room for more than a handful of 50GB+ forced installs+patches on their X1/PS4, we don't start entire threads over it. And when you run out of room there, you don't even get textures.

Vena, pls. You know all too well. :p

I am an optimist. Who happens to be a cynical futurist.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Even then the game is perfectly playable and runs great for the most part. What's in the OP now it's one instance in several hours of stream that we saw until now. There is a loading time only when you go inside BLADE or when you use fast travel and even that is some 10-20 seconds. If you can't stand that, download the packs. Most of the people have the premium Wii U, so they have the 10GB required on the internal flash. (if you don't it means you have already gone digital, so you must already have an external HDD by now)

I know, you will pretend to be the one that is outside that scenario just to keep fighting the good fight

Chaos17

Be optimistic.

Thanks for updating your post :)

I suppose that means the flaw is in Nintendo's design philosophy for the Wii U then, which is not what the thread is about.

anyway, yeah the video was pretty bad:/
Duyo stream where the screen was taken was bad from me. It lagged a lot.
But a Gafer made his own stream on hitbox and man the game was smooth and good quality for a streamed game.

Majority of big current gen games require a lot of hard drive space (20+GB), you'd think this majority of people would have adjusted to that if they wanted texture packs or DLCs etc by getting an external storage device.

Escalario

Banned
OP is pretty disgusting in his attempt to shit on the game when knowing perfectly well what the issue is. But considering the post history, it was only a matter of time for yet another "Lets hate on Nintendo" thread.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Which is why they are optional and not all needed

At the very least you'll need the basic to play the game decently apparently. I'll definitely not going to go without getting all of them. I'll need to get an external drive by then, because I don't have one at the moment. Can you use a big SD Drive or is that a no no?

I'm all for people becoming aware of issues in games, but why is all the many cool innovative features about this game ignored or left in the main thread to go unnoticed by the GAF masses, but little issues like faces, bad lyrics, or texture loading that has a day 1 fix get its own thread?

You can customize robots, characters, jobs, ride transformers, go anywhere but trolls, like kotaku, only bring up how the game reveal rendered cutscene trailer looks better than the current customizable real time cutscene

Haters gotta hate I guess, but it's not like people are still expecting Wiiu to magically have ps4 levels of processing power right? It's new but closer to ps3 so having streaming issues on such a massive open world game should be expected. The fact they have a fix should be the main story or at the very least mentioned (unless you are kotaku) if you are going to talk about texture issues.

chadboban

Be optimistic.

Oh wow. Cool that you put it in.

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, we had a really bad experience with the OP in the previous Xenoblade thread who refused to update the OP with links to the streams or even a countdown timer. A lot of the thread was just people asking for links to the stream. Seemed like he just wanted to be the first to post.

OP is pretty disgusting in his attempt to shit on the game when knowing perfectly well what the issue is. But considering the post history, it was only a matter of time for yet another "Lets hate on Nintendo" thread.

Um, dude. He updated the OP. Relax.

bsnALpn.jpg

Edit: Probably due to a texture streaming issue that will have a patch at launch.

Some guy has access to a review copy and was playing it. I really hope we find out he didn't put the game on his hard drive, because the load times and pop ins in this video are horrendous.

http://a.pomf.se/iegqee.mp4

Edit: So apparently he isn't using the data packs if consensus here is right. You will need to install the data packs to have a decently playable game then, so it is HIGHLY recommended.

I feel bad for the basic Wii U owners.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The game runs fine even without the texture packs, people have been watching streams since yesterday and that vehicle was just one split second spot where the texture didnt load fast enough.

Chaos17

Majority of big current gen games require a lot of hard drive space (20+GB), you'd think this majority of people would have adjusted to that if they wanted texture packs or DLCs etc by getting an external storage device.

The texture in that screen just didn't loaded enough fast but that's still remain a rare thing.
Not the whole game is like that.

I mean the game will remain fine even without those optional packs.
I watched 3 streams and the game was FINE.
No crash, no big clipping issues, no jitters. It was FINE.

So those packs are really optional and not obligatory at all.

We Halo 2 now!

Easily fixable considering you can install a lot of the data. I didn't buy a shiny new 500GB external drive for my Wii U a week after launch for nothing.

Top Bottom