• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like it has some unique textures in the game

Mupod

if I could fully install every single console game that runs off a disc I would. That's how I did it on 360.

I don't understand the purpose of freaking out over some texture streaming weirdness in an open world game, though. How many people here have NEVER played a UE3 game on a last-gen console? You're telling me you never once saw this happen in a video game in your life?

Fair enough, I was honestly asking. People were giving the OP flack for posting this because there is a "fix" for the issue but none of us have seen the software running with data packs to know with certainty. So we are believing it will fix or at least improve the issue, but no one can say for sure at this point.

I'll remain optimistic but would hope there will be footage of the game using these data packs prior to release.
There wouldn't be much of a reason to put in effort to make these data packs and tell your users to download up to 10GBs if the difference isn't noticeable.

Vena

Is it? Is the digital version more than 25 GB? (You don't need these packs if you buy it digitally). I'm honestly asking. I thought it was a streaming issue.

Its both. The streaming issue comes from the game being physical and also from the physical being compressed to hell to fit on the game disc.

Kinsei

Banned
Halo: The Master Chief Collection had a 15 GB download at launch. It wasn't technically a full-blown patch (most of it was MP content), but then again, neither are these packs.

Oh wow, that's terrible.

Mortal Kombat X had 15GB Day 1 patch on PC (no idea about console versions).
Also this isn't a Day 1 patch. It's an optional data install to make loading of textures faster.

There was a day 1 patch on PS4, but I don't think it was that big.

I know this isn't a day 1 patch, but the person I quoted directly compared the two by insinuating that if you don't like this then you should be against day 1 patches as well.

MCC was 20GB
Borderlands Handsome collection was 16GB

I've never played either of those games so I didn't know. At least the storage on other consoles is higher than 32 GB.

ElFly

Hope in the american release the packs can be installed from the disc, without downloading from the slowtastic nintendo server.

On the other hand, if I feel in a retro mood I may play it without any packs :D

Hope in the american release the packs can be installed from the disc, without downloading from the slowtastic nintendo server.

On the other hand, if I feel in a retro mood I may play it without any packs :D

Impossible, unless they magically switch to 50GB disc...

No, but as far as I know is also that was mentioned in the Dengeki review?

I don't know, that pop-in both in models and textures is not in my book of "running well".
We already have hours long stands from people got that the game early, so why not just watch those to determine the performance for yourself instead of continuing to showcase your own ignorance through easily verifiable concerns?

So basically "fuck physical-only users". While I'm gonna get XCX digitally, Monolith should had thought about how to make the game run perfectly well for every user, not screwing the physical-only people that cannot download the data packs for a reason.

Yeah fuck them for letting people know ahead of time to prepare.
I mean.. who has a HDD lying around in this day and age.

Fuck you Monolift Soft for giving us options.
Why couldn't you have just been quiet about it like every developer last generation.

Kinsei

Banned

Why couldn't you have just been quiet about it like every developer last generation.

... I don't.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yes.

Like I've said in my post on page 3, the fix was easy: loading times between continents and for entering NLA. Just like XC had loading times between areas.

Uh, there is a loading time for entering/exiting NLA, as far as the continents, the whole point was to make it seamless, which they did, and now there are data packs making any longer loading or texture pop-ins a non-issue.

Also you didnt answer my previous post, where did you see or hear that the game has severe framerate drops?

We already have hours long stands from people got that the game early, so why not just watch those to determine the performance for yourself instead of continuing to showcase your own ignorance through easily verifiable concerns?

Why should I spoil the game myself? No thanks.

Dengeki says this:

And since this preview version is disc-only, the textures and character assets would sometimes take several seconds to load in when we’d drive around with the Doll at high speeds, or immediately after those load points.

Or is Dengeki anti-nintendo too.

It's called buy an extrernal hard drive, there's a 2TB wii u sitting under my telly

I don't want permanently attach a phsycal device to the console, because Nintendo fucked up the internal storage of their console, or because they didn't offer an option to upgrade it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Not shitting on Xenoblade, but there are far better ways Monolith could've gone about things, and the defensiveness in this thread is weird.

They're using about 23GB of the 25GB disc space. There's no extra room for having all of the textures formatted to an installer on the disc to place on the system.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Most of the big games install off the disc, rather than download, which would take much longer. They also don't take up a third of the system's stock storage capacity. Texture packs and 10GB of DLC aren't really a thing on consoles either.

Not shitting on Xenoblade, but there are far better ways Monolith could've gone about things, and the defensiveness in this thread is weird.
I think the only other way they could've done it is by including a second disc with the game for the data packs. I'm assuming they didn't to save costs.

It was an issue with the engine, during all these years it was tried to kept it a minimum, but it was something always present.

It was a necessary evil for developers who didn't have a budget/time to build their own engines. I personally was annoyed by it too. But I still enjoyed some of the games that had to use it.

Same with this. It will be a slight annoyance, but what all the game is trying to do, a texture pop in for 5 minutes out of the 500 hours I'll be putting into the game, will be ignored.

Until a thread titled "Ambitious games with texture pop in" shows up

Why should I spoil the game myself? No thanks.

Dengeki says this:

Or is Dengeki anti-nintendo too.

I don't want permanently attach a phsycal device to the console, because Nintendo fucked up the internal storage of their console, or because they didn't offer an option to upgrade it.

Why not, if they offered an option to upgrade it it would likely have been an expensive proprietary option and the Toshiba drive I've got looks like a brilliant match for the system

Jawmuncher

Technically haven't they not given this information to US & EU aside from those looking up JPN info? It sure wasn't in any direct yet.

AdanVC

I can handle the bad textures and pop-in but the load times and that music was just... :( Glad it will be mostly fixed with the additional downloadable packs.

It was a necessary evil for developers who didn't have a budget/time to build their own engines. I personally was annoyed by it too. But I still enjoyed some of the games that had to use it.

Same with this. It will be a slight annoyance, but what all the game is trying to do, a texture pop in for 5 minutes out of the 500 hours I'll be putting into the game, will be ignored.

Until a thread titled "Ambitious games with texture pop in" shows up

It was a very annoying problem in certain games like Mas Effect and purposely noted several times. I don't see why shouldn't be a thing that people notices this problem and takes note of it.

Is not like I won't enjoy the game, but also I feel like is a problem that should be pointed out, like the loading issue in Bloodborne and many other games that suffered from technical problems.

People priorities are different, for you is a small annoyance for others might be something more important.

Technically haven't they not given this information to US & EU aside from those looking up JPN info? It sure wasn't in any direct yet.

They haven't even shown a localized version yet.
They may still be able to figure something out.

But if they don't, there is always "Plan E(shop)"

Escalario

Banned
Uh, there is a loading time for entering/exiting NLA [...]

Then the game is also horribly optimized. Looks like Nintendo should had kept the leash tighter on Monolith.

Also you didnt answer my previous post, where did you see or hear that the game has severe framerate drops?

On a stream few hours ago. It was only few seconds, but the game seemed to run at like 5fps, similar to Bloodbourne when entering a fog with the boss right after it.

Ridley327

Not needing extra space too put it or not having to plug-in everytime you want to play. Having all inside the console is more convenient or do you have your PC HDD outside of the case too?

Why would you need to plug in the hard drive every time you play? You can't even use the hard drive for anything else once its been formatted by the Wii U. External HDDs have gotten so small these days that I'm amazed they even hold even a quarter as much as they do. My brother's external HDD is the size of a deck of cards, and it holds 1 TB.

Top Bottom