• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like it has some unique textures in the game

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The game runs fine even without the texture packs, people have been watching streams since yesterday and that vehicle was just one split second spot where the texture didnt load fast enough.

Exactly. One instance of textures not loading fast enough in several hours of streams. We've all been there, watching the streams and not basing our opinion on just one webm taken from the poorest stream of the two.

Kinsei

Banned
No it's not. The majority of people probably won't have the space for 10GB's of downloads.

It's really 10GB? Damn, what's the point of even offering a physical version then?

The reason I buy physical games is so I can just stick it in and play after work. Now I'll have to wait until the day after release to be able to play.

ASIS

Thanks for updating your post :)

Duyo stream where the screen was taken was bad from me. It lagged a lot.
But a Gafer made his own stream on hitbox and man the game was smooth and good quality for a streamed game.
yeah I assumed as much, all the footage seemed delicious.

What don't you understand about the word : OPTIONAL ?
I mean the game will remain fine even without those optional packs.
I watched streams and the game was FINE.
No crash, no big clipping issues, no jitters. It was FINE.

So those packs are really optional and not obligatory at all.

The texture in that screen just didn't loaded enough ast but t'as still remain a rare thing.
Not the whole game is like that.

That dosn't look fine at all.

If you want to say, "it's perfectly playable" that's one thing, but that's not running fine on my book.

King_Moc

Banned
Even then the game is perfectly playable and runs great for the most part. What's in the OP now it's one instance in several hours of stream that we saw until now. There is a loading time only when you go inside BLADE or when you use fast travel and even that is some 10-20 seconds. If you can't stand that, download the packs. Most of the people have the premium Wii U, so they have the 10GB required on the internal flash. (if you don't it means you have already gone digital, so you must already have an external HDD by now)

I know, you will pretend to be the one that is outside that scenario just to keep fighting the good fight

Anyone with one or two digital retail games likely won't have the space to to download onto a deluxe Wii u. And it's not like you can easily redownload and play stuff on the Wii U, like you can elsewhere either. It takes hours.

And don't pretend to assume you know my situation. My Wii U has a 1TB HDD attached. But I should never have had to even buy that.

This data pack thing is really turning me off to the game. You shouldn't have to install extra data so the game loads within the span of a human life

This data pack thing is really turning me off to the game. You shouldn't have to install extra data so the game loads within the span of a human life
While optional, it's a real shame that you need to download data packs to not have this issues. The need to make the game's world seamless and without loading times shouldn't come at the cost of problems with texture loading and severe framerate drops. Xenoblade done it right with having loading times between zones. They should had done the same here IMO.
V

The game runs fine even without the texture packs, people have been watching streams since yesterday and that vehicle was just one split second spot where the texture didnt load fast enough.

So its basically any PS360 game that used the UE3 engine that people got over in the time it took to load the texture

Escalario

Banned
What don't you understand about the word : OPTIONAL ?
I mean the game will remain fine even without those optional packs.
I watched streams and the game was FINE.
No crash, no big clipping issues, no jitters. It was FINE.

So those packs are really optional and not obligatory at all.

While optional, it's a real shame that you need to download data packs to not have this issues. The need to make the game's world seamless and without loading times shouldn't come at the cost of problems with texture loading and severe framerate drops. Xenoblade done it right with having loading times between zones. They should had done the same here IMO.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anyone with one or two digital retail games likely won't have the space to to download onto a deluxe Wii u. And it's not like you can easily redownload and play stuff on the Wii U, like you can elsewhere either. It takes hours.

And don't pretend to assume you know my situation. My Wii U has a 1TB HDD attached. But I should never have had to even buy that.

A lot of people upgrade the HDDs these days. Even for the PS4, you can put a SSD to optimise. And the 500GB HDD is not big enough when you have average of 30-50 GB per game and patches with GBs. That's the reality. An external HDD is not even that expensive now.

I'm getting the digital version most likely. I have a 1 TB external HD, but should I put it on the Wii U's internal memory? Does it run better there? I think I have enough room for it there.
Isn't it 20 seconds or something like that without the data packs? Not too bad considering another game people liked doubled that at launch with no option to fix it.

The problem lies with Nintendo, even last gen games needed install packs, but at least those consoles offer decent internal storage from the go.

The fact that Wii U launched with 8GB/32GB of internal storage is the tragedy here and now users gonna suffer from that (and before: "you can attach a HHD to the console!" that's not a proper solution and far from ideal and convenient.)

MADGAME

How do we know the data packs effectively fix the issue? Have we seen them in use or are we believing in good faith? Honest question.

Vena

The reason I buy physical games is so I can just stick it in and play after work. Now I'll have to wait until the day after release to be able to play.

You can still play the game, and the data packs will go up for download weeks ahead of time if you want them.

Chaos17

That dosn't look fine at all.

If you want to say, "it's perfectly playable" that's one thing, but that's not running fine on my book.

I advice you to watch in the futur the streams and you will be able to understand that those pop in texture aren't that common. Specially in the fields, people didn't saw any, just in the city.

Yes, it's not perfect but that's why those texture pack exists for those uncommon pop in texture.
But seriously, me and others in the chat (during 3 streams) didn't got our eyes bleedings by any awfulls pop in textures.

He9hnRp.gif

How do we know the data packs effectively fix the issue? Have we seen them in use or are we believing in good faith? Honest question.

If they don't fix most of the issues, then I'm having a really hard time finding a reason for these packs to exist in the first place.

I've got 2 terabytes I need to fill by the end of the gen, I'm glad they've done it the way they have

Yasumi

Banned
Majority of big current gen games require a lot of hard drive space (20+GB), you'd think this majority of people would have adjusted to that if they wanted texture packs or DLCs etc by getting an external storage device.
Most of the big games install off the disc, rather than download, which would take much longer. They also don't take up a third of the system's stock storage capacity. Texture packs and 10GB of DLC aren't really a thing on consoles either.

Not shitting on Xenoblade, but there are far better ways Monolith could've gone about things, and the defensiveness in this thread is weird.

The problem lies with Nintendo, even last gen games needed install packs, but at least those consoles offer decent internal storage from the go.

The fact that Wii U launched with 8GB/32GB of internal storage is the tragedy here and now users gonna suffer from that (and before: "you can attach a HHD to the console!" that's not a proper solution and far from ideal and convenient.)

So you are saying the 360 core and arcade editions didn't exist?

Believing in good faith. Got it.

Yes, based on Nintendo's history of releasing games that function properly at launch, I am going to assume that these data packs will perform as intended. They may not fix everything, but I doubt anyone is expecting the game to be without any issues.

Mass Effect 1 on 360 was so awful with this. That and the freezes especially at the Citadel.

UE3 was used by many developers so the quality of how they implemented it differs from game to game, but with the exception of trash, there were plenty of memorable fun games that people loved that had the occasional stalled texture pop in that people looked passed despite the minor annoyance.

Considering what all this game is trying to do on the system it's on should be a minor issue, not a deal breaker. Considering there are people who have confirmed its rare occurrence WITHOUT the data pack.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I wonder how many of those complaining make this big song and dance about the day 1 patches that exist for like every game ever released on 360,PS3,XB1 and PS4?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

As far as we know, theres no severe framerate drops, where did you get that from?

now I'm curious, has Nintendo ever released a split of basic/deluxe Wii Us? I assume it's way in favor of the latter, particularly in America, but still

Kinsei

Banned
I wonder how many of those complaining make this big song and dance about the day 1 patches that exist for like every game ever released on 360,PS3,XB1 and PS4?

Please point me towards the game with a 10gb day 1 patch.

You can still play the game, and the data packs will go up for download weeks ahead of time if you want them.

It's nice that they;re putting them up ahead of time. Sucks that a third of my Wii U's space will be devoted to a physical game though.

Escalario

Banned
I've got 2 terabytes I need to fill by the end of the gen, I'm glad they've done it the way they have

So basically "fuck physical-only users". While I'm gonna get XCX digitally, Monolith should had thought about how to make the game run perfectly well for every user, not screwing the physical-only people that cannot download the data packs for a reason.

MADGAME

Yes, based on Nintendo's history of releasing games that function properly at launch, I am going to assume that these data packs will perform as intended.

Fair enough, I was honestly asking. People were giving the OP flack for posting this because there is a "fix" for the issue but none of us have seen the software running with data packs to know with certainty. So we are believing it will fix or at least improve the issue, but no one can say for sure at this point.

I'll remain optimistic but would hope there will be footage of the game using these data packs prior to release.

I've only got MK8 DLC on my 32GB. I should have enough for the install packs. I was hoping it'd run well enough without them but I guess they might be needed. As long as I can download them before I play it'll be fine.

So basically "fuck physical-only users". While I'm gonna get XCX digitally, Monolith should had thought about how to make the game run perfectly well for every user, not screwing the physical-only people that cannot download the data packs for a reason.

Most of my games are physical too

Vena

now I'm curious, has Nintendo ever released a split of basic/deluxe Wii Us? I assume it's way in favor of the latter, particularly in America, but still

10/90 split was last I had ever heard as a number, its probably even worse by now. There's a reason they discontinued the standard.

Not shitting on Xenoblade, but there are far better ways Monolith could've gone about things, and the defensiveness in this thread is weird.

I don't know how true this is considering that they reached the physical limits of the WiiU disc-media.

chadboban

Yep, should've cut a continent or two to make it all fit on the disk.

sniperpon

Good thing I bought that nice big external hard drive for my Wii U. Particularly since I own the "Basic" model (granted, my plan from the get-go was to buy an external hard drive).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Are you actually condemning them for a problem that was most likely not possible to fix during development,(hence the download packs) this would have just been a however long thing at the beginning of it in any other game, but they're giving you the option now and weeks beforehand.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Most of the big games install off the disc, rather than download, which would take much longer. They also don't take up a third of the system's stock storage capacity. Texture packs and 10GB of DLC aren't really a thing on consoles either.

Monolith were very open about this. They were having issues from the start to be able to fit the game on 1 disc. They managed it in the end, under this compromise that probably the game is very compressed on the disc. They found this workaround, to install the uncompressed data as patches. If you don't like it, don't buy the game. But the developer tried everything in his power to offer the best experience right from the launch and was very transparent about all this. That's why the defense exist.

Plus, as it was already mentioned, we watched several hours of stream today and this was the only major issue. You can watch the future streams from Asia to convince yourself.

Top Bottom