• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: new info from Famitsu (map size, battle system, characters)

jorgejjvr

You guys worry too much about 300 hours lol. Of course it might have been played several times. If it's like Xenoblade in terms of quests and NPCs affinities branching out, he might have played it more than once to check every possible scenario and choices.
Probably 100 hours to beat the game is more realistic. Maybe 300 to do absolutely everything, and maybe with multiple play throughs. This is great regardless. Definitely bang for your buck. That's what I call a game worth $60

jonno394

Xenoblade took me just under 100 hours to finish and that's with plenty of side quests unfinished. Cannot wait for this.

L~A

Yeah, pretty sure the 300h is for literally everything... every nook and cranny. I doubt Takahashi played the game @ 100% several times during development.

Besides, don't forget developers always love to exaggerate with completion times and such... Besides, every player don't necessarily play the same as everyone else, nor is 100% completition mandatory or anything.

rjinaz

My post from the Twitter thread.

I don't know about you but in Xenoblade I played with all the different characters anyway. With 300 hours of gameplay here, you're probably going to want to switch it up from time-to-time; see which party works best. In games like Tales of, I usually pick the main party and the other members never get used the rest of the game, but Xenoblade wasn't like that for me. Each character offers something unique and the affinity system encourages you to use them.

Seik

Banned
We're getting it this year at the very least, they likely also want it to come out before Zelda, which will probably be a November release. August to October is when we'll probably get this game.

I really hope you're right because the moment it'll launch in Japan in April I'll be anxiously waiting for a release date in NA.

Please, please, please NOA...

james_brown.jpg

Don't mess up....please.

Despera

Banned
300 hours?? 250 of that better not be a side quest collectathon like the first game. I really hope they made the side quests matter.
Yep. I hope for some unique side quests as well, even if it's only a small portion of the whole.

With such modest expectations I'm sure Monolith Soft won't disappoint :p

Firemind

You guys worry too much about 300 hours lol. Of course it might have been played several times. If it's like Xenoblade in terms of quests and NPCs affinities branching out, he might have played it more than once to check every possible scenario and choices.

I didn't even reach 150 hours when I had beaten all the content in Xenoblade. Sure, he might have taken his time to double check for bugs and so forth, but he probably knows all the secrets unlike us. 300 hours seems like an insane amount even for testing purposes.

Xenoblade was traditional RPG, whereas XenobladeX is an open world RPG. Xenoblade was linear despite having big world. In XenobladeX, you will get quests from different places and have more freedom.

I really don't want to say: "so it's like Skyrim with Mecha", but honestly that's kind of what I'm getting from this.

The story will probably still be a big part of the game, but I imagine that you'll have a lot of the world to explore from the start, and that you may not necessarily need to progress through the story as much just to simply reach new locations.

Akai

Really happy about the 4-player party if true. Though why hasn't that be shown in any trailer considering there have been 3 characters revealed for the party already? Maybe the fourth slot is for guest party members?

There was one poster who was only interested in the game if it had 4-person parties. He/she should be pretty happy.

What I like about 4 player-parties is simply being able to use more characters as once. Hope they keep the total party members aside from the protagonist at max 6.

They have shown footage with 4 players in the party back in the November Nintendo Direct. It had Cross, Elma, Lynlee, and Tatsu.

Edit: Thinking back on it, they also showed it in the footage from last February as well...

Yeah, pretty sure the 300h is for literally everything... every nook and cranny. I doubt Takahashi played the game @ 100% several times during development.

Besides, don't forget developers always love to exaggerate with completion times and such... Besides, every player don't necessarily play the same as everyone else, nor is 100% completition mandatory or anything.

Why are u trying so hard to convince us? lol

Haunted

What I want to know is if the character creator will be powerful enough to avoid a shitty generic animu face without any actual human features. Because what I've seen of that character "design" so far was absolutely ghastly.

Dark_castle

So, the structure is now a true open world where you can wonder off to anywhere you wish right off the bat?

I hope it won't be too open, as I like my JRPG to be more linear in progression until near end-game.

rhandino

Banned
Maybe the main story will be dictated by how much of New L.A. is developing over time and how much you explore in Mira.

Also, as long as the common fetch quests unlock more unique side-quests like Xenoblade all will be right in the world tbh. I found that with the grindy sidequests you gain notoriety of being helpful to others so it makes sense that other people start asking you about life choices or to reach the Edge of the World for a Pellet =D

I really loved how they implemented sidequests in Xenoblade =/

rjinaz

I really don't want to say: "so it's like Skyrim with Mecha", but honestly that's kind of what I'm getting from this.

The story will probably still be a big part of the game, but I imagine that you'll have a lot of the world to explore from the start, and that you may not necessarily need to progress through the story as much just to simply reach new locations.

I really don't think it will be exactly like Skyrim. At least not at first. I'm going to guess that you are limited to certain areas at least at the start of the game. Once you get the mechs you can probably travel further. Then later in the game there will probably be some kind of upgrades allowing you to travel to even harsher environments maybe even out to space. Doing this I still think they can keep a solid story going. I'm hoping it's more like FF XII in that there are lots of cool places to explore if you choose to, but there is still a linear progressive story in that the game is pushing you to specific areas that are mandatory.

Skyrim on the other hand was just go where you want from the get go.

random25

I didn't even reach 150 hours when I had beaten all the content in Xenoblade. Sure, he might have taken his time to double check for bugs and so forth, but he probably knows all the secrets unlike us. 300 hours seems like an insane amount even for testing purposes.

Well, maybe the story content will actually be finished by more than 100 hours in average without putting too much work on side quests? This is a bigger game, and he said that it's less linear so trying out those things may take some time.

Dark_castle

I really don't think it will be exactly like Skyrim. At least not at first. I'm going to guess that you are limited to certain areas at least at the start of the game. Once you get the mechs you can probably travel further. Then later in the game there will probably be some kind of upgrades allowing you to travel to even harsher environments maybe even out to space. Doing this I still think they can keep a solid story going. I'm hoping it's more like FF XII in that there are lots of cool places to explore if you choose to, but there is still a linear progressive story in that the game is pushing you to specific areas that are mandatory.

Skyrim on the other hand was just go where you want from the get go.

Hopefully it's like how you put it, because from OP, it really seem as if Xenoblade X is now a fully open world, sandbox RPG rather than a traditional JRPG with large environment but linear path for progression, like the original Xenoblade.

rjinaz

Wouldn't that be a waste of famous voice actors talents? If it were just for grunts?

Absolutely. Why waist resources to hire somebody famous to make grunting noises when anybody could do that? It doesn't seem to add up. To me it really seems like the custom character will have a voice.

Laconic

Banned
Hopefully it's like how you put it, because from OP, it really seem as if Xenoblade X is now a fully open world, sandbox RPG rather than a traditional JRPG with large environment but linear path for progression, like the original Xenoblade.

From the moment I saw the mechs, the game has been screaming "Dragon Quest 8, after you get the bird!", to me.

This is a very good thing.

Absolutely. Why waist resources to hire somebody famous to make grunting noises when anybody could do that? It doesn't seem to add up. To me it really seems like the custom character will have a voice.

Because it is hip to waist resources.

300 hrs damn. Hopefully its not out too near uncharted 4/ zelda u/ FFXV...

Given that FFXV is probably a 2016 game, and there's precedent for Nintendo delaying stuff (Zelda U), I suspect we'll be fine.

UC4 will be cool, but that's a much smaller time investment.

Kouriozan

I'm literally drooling over those infos, but man, the wait for the EU release after the Japan one is going to hurts so much.

rjinaz

Personally I kind of hope it's not exactly like Xenoblade. I love doing some free exploring. In Xeoblade I badly wanted to go to new areas and ignore that stupid arrow but the game wouldn't let me until I progressed the story.

I kind of want a little bit of both experiences. Open world exploring and yet also a linear progression that, at times, will be mandatory.

Oh man! Huuuge world! Interesting online that isn't traditional? Bloody well intrigued! Faster battles with new healing system? Must know how that works, sounds cool! 90 tracks? Niiice! Give. Me. This. Game. Nintendooo!!

Voliko

-About 90 songs in the game. Sawano involved in all of them.

Xenoblade had 1 vocal song at the end, but XenobladeX has many vocal song. (Many for RPG)
Nooooo!!!!!

4 player party is very nice though. If this game is truly as large as they say... I put 150 hours into Xenoblade... This game is going to be a time sink.

TheMoon

As if anybody is gonna go with this rational, reasonable and accurate representation of real world facts when here are lots of "OMG THREE HUNDRED HOURS!!!??" posts to write ;D

I really hope you're right because the moment it'll launch in Japan in April I'll be anxiously waiting for a release date in NA.

Please, please, please NOA...

james_brown.jpg

Don't mess up....please.

They've already confirmed a 2015 release, so August to October really makes the most sense. It could take the same spot as Hyrule Warriors.

rjinaz

I don't know how many of you 100 percented Xenoblade, but it took a long time. Almost 500 quests. Defeating the super bosses, collecting every art book. Defeating every unique. Creating the best gems. Getting every achievement. Collecting items. Filling up every map.

If you did absolutely everything in Xenoblade that you could do you could easily put in over 250 hours. I'm really not surprised. Most people however will never put that much work into the game and will probably get 80-100 hours out of it.

That's what is great about a game like Xenoblade, you can play how you want really. Rush through it and maybe get it done in 50 hours or play everything the game has to offer.

Drop

This is so great, faster battle system, 90 tracks and a world 5 times bigger than the one in xenoblade, I really can't wait. Now I'm curious about the main character va.

Hiltz

I finished my first playthrough of Xenoblade in nearly 250 hours, and that included finishing everything but like 2 or 3 side quests and acquiring all of the collectibles, fully exploring every map, filling in the party and town affinity charts, Colony 6 completion and leveling up all characters to lvl 99. However, I didn't kill all of the unique monsters.

Anyway, X sounds like it's going to be overwhelmingly gigantic. This is my most anticipated game of the year...now I just need a Wii U. I like what I've heard from that interview, and thanks for the translation too.

wrowa

I think a lot of you might be taking the 300 hours quote out of context. "Final check" doesn't really sound like a normal playthrough or even a 100% playthrough to me, but like an actual playtest - and when a developer tests a game, he's doing all kind of crazy stuff to test whether certain things are working correctly that a player would never even pay attention to.

Top Bottom