• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: new info from Famitsu (map size, battle system, characters)

NeededSleep

still waiting to buy a wiiu tell this game comes out.. I'm hoping there is a chance.... a cold chance in hell, I know... that there will be a xenoblade themed bundle .

Exile20

No healers? But I liked playing as Sharla and supporting my dumb AI allies.

I played Xenoblade on Wii for 12 hours straight in 2012 and stopped until this week when I continued my save. So you are telling me I don't have to play as Shulk?

Thanks,

DJIzana

I... I'm so happy with this news!

Heck, today in general seems to be a great gaming news day!

The size of the world and now, finally some officla hints about some form of online! :D

Laconic

Banned
I played Xenoblade on Wii for 12 hours straight in 2012 and stopped until this week when I continued my save. So you are telling me I don't have to play as Shulk?

Thanks,

There are lots of instances where controlling someone else is preferable, so yes. :)

Xenosaga 1 was 80 hours long too. It's probably more like 120-140 hours given that!

That said... mother of god. This news actually scares me more than anything. I love Xenoblade's exploration but I worry about them ratcheting that up to 11 at the expense of narrative. This is Takahashi though so we're most likely okay.

I still have no idea what to expect from X. Pretty crazy for a well-covered game that is more or less a sequel.

sugarless

As someone who has never played Xenoblade, can somebody put 400km2/5x Xenoblade size into perspective compared to another game?

Fandangox

All sounds pretty good. Although a tad disappointed that human players can't control other members of your party, would have made battles really fun.

Souls-like connection should be interesting enough I guess.

I wonder if the faster paced battles and no healing came as a result of players sticking to Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla abd being stuck with really slow paced battles.

random25

Saw the leaked scans. Good coverage for Xenoblade X I must say. If only I understand Japanese just so I can play this early in April lol.

This game. This game. Really looking forward to this.

As for the open world versus traditional. I imagine to be similar to fallout. You have an overall objective and story progress as you move towards that objective, but you are free to go wherever you want.

Lilo_D

All sounds pretty good. Although a tad disappointed that human players can't control other members of your party, would have made battles really fun.

Souls-like connection should be interesting enough I guess.

I wonder if the faster paced battles and no healing came as a result of players sticking to Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla abd being stuck with really slow paced battles.

I think even you have your own avater you can still control other party members

Mira being 5x Xenoblade in size is ridiculously large. Obviously it's not reasonable to expect everything to be filled with meaningful content but hopefully there's a lot!

Very glad to hear about the faster-paced combat

rjinaz

Thanks,

I don't play as Shulk except for during boss battles which usually makes things easier because they tend to be centered around the Monado. And also at the end of the game when he gets his Monado Armor ability and totally rocks with Dunban and 7 at his side.

Otherwise it's Melia, Riki, or Dunban as my main in that order.

silva1991

Fantastic info day 0 for me

Can someone explain this to me..

-No healers.
-Healing done with new system called 'Soul Voice'

obviously we can heal with the 'soul voice' thing so what do they mean by no healers? do they mean here won't be any character specialize in healing ? like Sharla ?

random25

Aside from the land area being big, I am really interested more in air/space travel and exploration. Just how high that doll can take you above ground and if there are interesting areas that you can explore above ground? Will it also enable airborne battles against flying enemies as well? Damn the possibilities...

random25

Fantastic info day 0 for me

Can someone explain this to me..

obviously we can heal with the 'soul voice' thing so what do they mean by no healers? do they mean here won't be any character specialize in healing ? like Sharla ?

Yep. This was explained at E3 demo last year. Soul Voice is kind of like the party gauge in Xenoblade that fills up when you raise your affinities in battle.

Akai

Aside from the land area being big, I am really interested more in air/space travel and exploration. Just how high that doll can take you above ground and if there are interesting areas that you can explore above ground? Will it also enable airborne battles against flying enemies as well? Damn the possibilities...

Just watch the exploration trailer again and both your questions are answered...

Exile20

I don't play as Shulk except for during boss battles which usually makes things easier because they tend to be centered around the Monado. And also at the end of the game when he gets his Monado Armor ability and totally rocks with Dunban and 7 at his side.

Otherwise it's Melia, Riki, or Dunban as my main in that order.

I was getting bored of playing with shulk so this makes the game so much more exciting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I thought that was a fairly standard component of single player games with long before Demon Souls was even a thought going back to the 90s.

What games did what Demon Souls did on consoles in the 90s?

I was referring to using the internet to leave messages, see what other players did, etc in certain spots of the game.

JCX

I was actually kind of hoping for online co-op, just to make fighting tough bosses easier. Sometimes AI doesn't play along with combos that I'm trying to set up.

random25

Just watch the exploration trailer again and both your questions are answered...

Well it didn't reach the moon :p it did travel high, but my interest is on the limits of flight as certainly fuel will be the key factor, and probably doll upgrades? I'm just wondering the possibilities in anticipation.

Peltz

-Xenoblade was traditional RPG, whereas XenobladeX is an open world RPG. Xenoblade was linear despite having big world. In XenobladeX, you will get quests from different places and have more freedom.

This is the most amazing part of this entire thread this far. I love XBC, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the cutscene-heavy, linear emphasis. Exploring the world was the reward in and of itself, and I'm glad to see the story will be opening up a bit more in this new game.

wrowa

Maybe if you don't know how to play it or let the game idle for 45 hours. Episode I is 35-40 at the most for the main story.

Was about to post that. Xenosaga 1 really isn't that long. I think it's actually a relatively short game, a lot of the hours just come from the battles being seriously slow...

hoserx

Mira being 5x Xenoblade in size is ridiculously large. Obviously it's not reasonable to expect everything to be filled with meaningful content but hopefully there's a lot!

Very glad to hear about the faster-paced combat

To me, just being able to explore is content that I really love, but you're right.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Maybe the main story will be dictated by how much of New L.A. is developing over time and how much you explore in Mira.

Also, as long as the common fetch quests unlock more unique side-quests like Xenoblade all will be right in the world tbh. I found that with the grindy sidequests you gain notoriety of being helpful to others so it makes sense that other people start asking you about life choices or to reach the Edge of the World for a Pellet =D

I really loved how they implemented sidequests in Xenoblade =/

I hope there are a bunch of worthwhile city building quests where you're directly responsible for how New LA evolves as a city. That would be cool.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
300 hours and 5 times the size of xenoblade

PpI1jBw.gif

GTAV is about 126km2, Skryim is about 40.

These size measurements never make any sense to me. They're all arbitrary since games don't exist in the real world, and you don't move around those worlds like you do in real life in the first place.

A comparison to XB, saying it's 5 times bigger, that's far more useful, IMO, than just throwing out irrelevant measurements. Especially if you think about the way different games work. Skyrim is 40km square, much smaller than GTA, but you're going to take much, much longer to explore the world of Skyrim than that of GTA.

wmlk

These size measurements never make any sense to me. They're all arbitrary since games don't exist in the real world, and you don't move around those worlds like you do in real life in the first place.

A comparison to XB, saying it's 5 times bigger, that's far more useful, IMO, than just throwing out irrelevant measurements. Especially if you think about the way different games work. Skyrim is 40km square, much smaller than GTA, but you're going to take much, much longer to explore the world of Skyrim than that of GTA.

My problem is that a lot of people are using the numbers as a multiplier to how good a game might be. Just because something might have a large number attached to it, it doesn't mean that all of a sudden it's going to be linearly proportional to how much content there is, if everything looks worthwhile, and is ultimately fun.

Africanus

Looking forward to doing tricks with the mechs online. Crashing them into friends, crashing them into enemies, flying up as high as possible during a co-op boss battle and leaping out. How I love free range games.

VariantX

All I need now is to know how many total player classes there are and how they differ, total # of unique environments, and weapon types there are. Xenoblade had a crap ton of environments most of them were totally different in look and feel from not only each other but most other games as well.

AdanVC

How the heck I'm supposed to play and finish a game that has 300 hours of content??? Bring it on!! Now I understand why this game has been delayed so many times. The wait will be oh so worth it!

Top Bottom