• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: new info from Famitsu (map size, battle system, characters)

Jawmuncher

I think a lot of you might be taking the 300 hours quote out of context. "Final check" doesn't really sound like a normal playthrough or even a 100% playthrough to me, but like an actual playtest - and when a developer tests a game, he's doing all kind of crazy stuff to test whether certain things are working correctly that a player would never even pay attention to.

Yeah I was thinking this as well. 300 is highly doubtful unless you're looking to screw around for ages like people do in skyrim.

L~A

Gematsu got some additional info, including some details about the Unions:

At the beginning of the story, the goal is to survive the uncivilized planet of Mira. After meeting up with private military organization Blade, you’ll choose from one of eight affiliated unions, each with their own overarching objective to fill, and embark on quests. It’s possible to join a different union later. Unlike the linear progression of the original Xenoblade Chronicles, the successor’s story will unfold in various directions.

Unions

The eight unions are:

Pathfinder - In charge of data probe installation.
Interceptor - In charge of exterminating protists.
Avalanche - In charge of hunting down dangerous life forms.
Testament - In charge of the search and recovery of debris scattered by the ship, as well as the recovery of items lost on the battlefield.
Corepedian - In charge of visiting areas and investigation/collecting materials.
Land Bank - In charge of securing resources and collecting minerals.
Arms - Assists the Arms Company in charge of the development of Dolls and their inner weaponry.
Companion - A Jack of all trades, from the mediation of petty fights to the search of stray cats.

More at the link (roughly the same as what's in the OP, but with some additional tidbits).

My problem is that a lot of people are using the numbers as a multiplier to how good a game might be. Just because something might have a large number attached to it, it doesn't mean that all of a sudden it's going to be linearly proportional to how much content there is, if everything looks worthwhile, and is ultimately fun.

Very true. Hell, look at the ES series. Daggerfall was the largest game in the series in terms of actual landmass, yet it was largely empty, and what was there was full of randomly-generated content. It is, IMO, the weakest "world" the series has seen.

rjinaz

My problem is that a lot of people are using the numbers as a multiplier to how good a game might be. Just because something might have a large number attached to it, it doesn't mean that all of a sudden it's going to be linearly proportional to how much content there is, if everything looks worthwhile, and is ultimately fun.

I don't really see anybody saying, the bigger the world is, the better the game is. What you have here is people that have played Xenoblade the first game, have seen footage of this game so far, and are excited at the prospect of exploring it's large world. The larger the world, essentially means the more to explore and in a game like this that is a large part of the overall draw for many that plan on playing the game. Ultimately it may prove to be too much to explore or leave vast empty areas without much to see, but we'll have to wait and see.

wmlk

I don't really see anybody saying, the bigger the world is, the better the game is. What you have here is people that have played Xenoblade the first game, have seen footage of this game so far, and are excited at the prospect of exploring it's large world. The larger the world, essentially means the more to explore and in a game like this that is a large part of the overall draw for many that plan on playing the game. Ultimately it may prove to be too much to explore or leave vast empty areas without much to see, but we'll have to wait and see.

It should be expected that the world is larger than that of Xenoblade. If you assume that the world is 5x larger, and also assume that the Doll is 5x faster (likely even faster), then it makes sense from a design aspect that the world is larger.

I see a lot of people going crazy over '400' and '5' and it's just weird to me, especially when Xenoblade offered the same type of explorations sans the Dolls.

paolo11

I love the infos so far. I wish its more mech focused like Xenogears. Heck, I want most of my game time riding Doll.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

More at the link (roughly the same as what's in the OP, but with some additional tidbits).

Very interesting tidbit, I guess I will start with Pathfinder, but let's see more details.

It should be expected that the world is larger than that of Xenoblade. If you assume that the world is 5x larger, and also assume that the Doll is 5x faster (likely even faster), then it makes sense from a design aspect that the world is larger.

I see a lot of people going crazy over '400' and '5' and it's just weird to me, especially when Xenoblade offered the same type of explorations sans the Dolls.
I really dont get it... should the characters only be able to walk everywhere? Im sure the devs made running speeds and mech traveling fast to compensate for the huge world.

I'm assuming that these 8 path are how they're handling sidequests or non-main content this time around.

I wonder if you can go into the other paths after you've finished one.

OryoN

Wow!

400Km² dwarfs other open-world games out there by far, most likely including The Witcher 3, which was once estimated at ~ 136Km², based on (the?) two main areas(it may have gotten larger since then).

That's crazy! Especially for a Wii U game. Yet, though amazed, I'm not surprised since the original on Wii accomplished the same feat last gen.
This is especially awesome because it gives owning mechs - and being able to fly - a much greater meaning.
I can't wait to see - and eventually explore - more of the amazing vistas this game will no doubt offer in abundance.

OryoN

I still don't understand what loosely connected means though..

I'm guessing that means not being able to directly traverse the world with an online squad. Rather - as the details implied - leave messages, tips and clues within the game world. It would be cool if you can trade stuff at certain in-game locations, or stash items for other players to find.

Verger

Banned
I am worried about the "open-world" to be sure.

Here's the issue I have personally. I probably am an OCD completionist by nature, so when you put me in an open-world game, I am compelled to try and complete as many quests/side-quests/collectathons as I can before "proceeding". The problem then is that once I feel like I'm ready to move on with the main story, I've begun to lose what the main story was all about and usually is not compelling enough to keep me going.

That and the fact that open-world design is often counter towards strong narratives Because they want you to go on these "completionist" quests to do other things to spend your time in-game. After a while though you start to realize that quests become repetitive and you're doing the same thing just for the sake of ticking off a chart. True you'll spend many hours doing this, but are you doing it because you're having fun or because you're waiting for the "fun to begin"?

Also narratives in open-world games typically lose any sense of "struggle" or "evolving world" because the main quest is somehow "on hold" until you continue it, meaning the villains and your antagonists are just sitting there waiting while you go and do your thing. Also the world itself sometimes never changes because it has to be kept static so that content isn't "removed" if something on the landmass changes drastically.

It's not a dealbraker of course. But I felt that the original Xenoblade was "open world" enough as it is, so to hear the director say this one is even more so is troubling to me.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
NUyttbn.gif

Sayter

It sounds like they're still not ready to reveal details, so it's hard to say. But if I had to make a guess, I would say that what Takahashi is referring to here might be tied to Miiverse functions too. That would make sense given the WiiU capabilities. Seems like something Nintendo would push for too.

So no online coop then? Or, at best, something like Ultimate Climax in Bayonetta 2.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea that's not good news for me. Seems like they're making an Elder Scrolls game.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Time to get your ears ready for all dem Sawano vocals that people will post the lyrics to in every thread. ;)

Akai

So no online coop then? Or, at best, something like Ultimate Climax in Bayonetta 2.

It's too early to say, but the very first XCX trailer showed a chat box that was clearly filled with human players. It's either:

1) still in the game as full co-op
2) taken out after inability to get the functionality working
3) online chatting and trading, but not quite co-op (which makes the least sense in the context of the chat box)

majik13

I still don't understand what loosely connected means though..

basically asynchronous multiplayer. As in your arent playing together directly at the same time. But leaving messages or seeing ghosts, etc.

I am worried about the "open-world" to be sure.

Here's the issue I have personally. I probably am an OCD completionist by nature, so when you put me in an open-world game, I am compelled to try and complete as many quests/side-quests/collectathons as I can before "proceeding". The problem then is that once I feel like I'm ready to move on with the main story, I've begun to lose what the main story was all about and usually is not compelling enough to keep me going.

That and the fact that open-world design is often counter towards strong narratives Because they want you to go on these "completionist" quests to do other things to spend your time in-game. After a while though you start to realize that quests become repetitive and you're doing the same thing just for the sake of ticking off a chart. True you'll spend many hours doing this, but are you doing it because you're having fun or because you're waiting for the "fun to begin"?

Also narratives in open-world games typically lose any sense of "struggle" or "evolving world" because the main quest is somehow "on hold" until you continue it, meaning the villains and your antagonists are just sitting there waiting while you go and do your thing. Also the world itself sometimes never changes because it has to be kept static so that content isn't "removed" if something on the landmass changes drastically.

It's not a dealbraker of course. But I felt that the original Xenoblade was "open world" enough as it is, so to hear the director say this one is even more so is troubling to me.

Yep I have the same issue. Ive stopped playing many open world games for reasons like this. Even games I love liek Dragon's Dogma(also for item/inventory managemnt), and even Xenoblade. Only open world game I have beat I think was FallOut 3.

It's too early to say, but the very first XCX trailer showed a chat box that was clearly filled with human players. It's either:

1) still in the game as full co-op
2) taken out after inability to get the functionality working
3) online chatting and trading, but not quite co-op (which makes the least sense in the context of the chat box)

Id say taken out, as that was almost 2 years ago? And we havent seen anything else like that since.

Blunoise

yea i think i will join: Corepedian - In charge of visiting areas and investigation/collecting materials.

and i hope there is a separate online game mode

Obligatory "Character designs are dumb" comment.

The missions sound like it'll have more varied quests than Xenoblade. Trying to progress in the story of Xenoblade without having thorough knowledge of combat and gems generally just led to you being underleveled and stomped, but the quests for leveling up and getting items were repetitive MMO "collect 10 Whatevers, they're carried by Grumpy Gribbits (do not confuse with Cranky Gribbits)."

Terra

The hype surrounding this game is someting out of this world.
I hope it can live up to all expectations.

I'll buy a Wii U if the game delivers.

Forgot to comment on unions and main character VA. Both those have me interested. I'd imagine the main character VA is mostly battle stuff, but if that's the case, getting high profile talent for it seems excessive. I wonder if there's a chance there's more to the voice work than just minor battle stuff and whatever else.
Though I doubt it.

Something to consider: does 400 km^2 refer to the area of a shape that would enclose the bottom of all areas combined (so if I took out the vertical axis and looked at the area of the map, it would be 400 km^2), or is it considering the surface area of all the terrain you can travel on (Which means factors like topography and multilayered areas would be taken into account), or is it somewhere in the middle where it divides every area map into several vertical levels, and then takes the flat shape area of that? Because the original Xenoblade had a huge vertical element to many of it's maps, and X looks to follow suit in that regard. This is a pretty important consideration because if it's a flat area, the actual effective surface area and density will be even bigger than it suggests. I'd think given that Xenoblade maps were given multiple layered levels with varying terrain within that it would be the option of flat maps of each level, but even that has the potential to be larger than you'd expect because of topography and the potential of overlap

Euron

So when is this coming out in the west? 300 hours is insane so hopefully it'll come out when we aren't seeing many releases. I feel like I can cut this down to less than 100 hours though. I did finish Dragon Age Inquisition in about 40 hours on normal when it took some people well over 100. But Xenoblade may be a different beast entirely.

Oh and judging by the descriptions, Avalanche may be the way to go.

Top Bottom