• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 is blowing me away as someone who never played the series before

Combat is the one area that could use improvement. I don't mind the crazy moveset, but make the animation more fluid like a mix of Virtua Fighter and Shenmue.

Jimrpg

I just finished Resident Evil and after my assignments today I'll be playing this. I'm so psyched, going to be a great weekend. My first Yakuza game!

Any Pro benefits?

Yakuza 6 pro version fixes a lot of screen tearing which is evident in the OG PS4 version. Another game that makes me want to buy a Pro.

Jimrpg

Combat is the one area that could use improvement. I don't mind the crazy moveset, but make the animation more fluid like a mix of Virtua Fighter and Shenmue.

Combat looks to be way better in yakuza 6.

But have you played Shenmue recently that's like 15 years old and wasn't exactly the smoothest thing. I played it a few weeks ago, it was fine but it's not better than Yakuza 0.

Rymuth

Nope, Kiwami came out on PS3 in Japan, the first true PS4 title is Y6.
And it shows. The 'Dragon Engine' looks incredible in motion.

yakuza%2B6.gif

BearPawB

Banned
So...
I am really liking zero.
Which means I should probably play Kiwami next when that comes out yeah?

After that, would i know enough to go to 6? Is it worth tracking down the other ones that have been translated (which one are those even, can i get a translated 2?)

Is the gameplay hard to go back to at this point?

black070

It's my first Yakuza game too, put a few hours into it before diving back into Gravity Rush 2, but now that I've completed it I'm going right back to it.

I'm playing it right now infact.

dEvAnGeL

I find myself on the other side of the coin, not enjoying my time with it at all, have played for about 4 hours, im on chapter 2 and nothing about the game has grabbed me, at least i did my part and supported the game at launch GAF

reson8or

Lucky for you, Yakuza has always been amazing. While the first and second games (PS2 versions) haven't aged well, the story, wackiness and core gameplay itself has always been there. You have the entire series to now enjoy, nice!

I just snagged the last copy at the media markt I went to and couldn't be more excited to dig in this weekend. All thanks to gaf hyping me up with them weird gifs haha!

Reule

0 is already my GOTY so far. I'm really glad people are giving it a shot since this is the perfect entry into the series. All I can say is tell your friends and family. I've had too many great memories with these games. Even some of the weaker entries like Dead Souls are better than most games out there.

I haven't played Yakuza since PS2 and Zero has me hooked hardcore. Love the story, settings, and even the Fighting isn't as bad as some people made it out to be.

Fantastic game and I'm glad I bought it!

DarkStream

So happy to have found this series. Been playing for the past 3 days. Fantastic game.
Can't wait to discover the other entries in this expansive franchise.

I think the game won me over at the beginning of Chapter 3. You know what I'm talking about ;-)

Glad this amazing series is getting the recognition it deserves. Was always curious about it, but after hearing Pat from SuperBestFriends talk about how amazing 2 was on the Podcast one day, I decided to buy all of these titles around 2 years ago and play through them all. It was an absolute blast and easily became one of my favorite series. Glad this finally came stateside so other people could see what makes this series so great and it's not just that "Japanese GTA game" it's so often mis-categorized as.

DarkStream

The main storyline missions Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 have floored me. They are what inspired me to make this topic. Chapter 3 was amazing and 4 was even better.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
It's amazing how goofy the game can get, yet the story is very mature in a lot of ways.
For some reason I really enjoy the characters in Yakuza 0. Much more than a lot of other games who pride themselves in storytelling.

I wanna jump into this series with this game as well, but right now I've got my hands full with RE7 and Gravity Rush 2. I can't hold all these good games!

Aki-at

I thought this game (which is totally awesome, I must add!) was the first PS4-only Yakuza, but I see that it came out on PS3 too. What is the first PS4-only title? Kiwami?

Yakuza 6 and it shows.

Edit: ops clearly didn't hit reload soon enough.

Aki-at

Glad to have quality Sega back. Lets hope this game succeeds and sends them a message, and also lets hope that the next two Yakuza games they've got coming down the line don't tank as well.

To be honest they never really went away considering how quality this series has been since its early days :p

I find myself on the other side of the coin, not enjoying my time with it at all, have played for about 4 hours, im on chapter 2 and nothing about the game has grabbed me, at least i did my part and supported the game at launch GAF

yeah? but you've even got a hype avatar! :) ...

did you watch any videos of this or previous games? what were you expecting to find that you haven't? better combat? story?...

People keep saying manly crime story lol what the hell is so manly about this game?

i think it's in the 'do something wrong, cut your pinky off' sense of 'manly' :) ...

I've come to the realization that I want this. Plus, I really want to play a brawler...It's been so long.

Canadian prices holding me at bay until there's a sale though :/

Same here, man.

Are there multiple brawling sections like the one in the first 30 mins of the game? All of those fights looked amazing.

dEvAnGeL

yeah? but you've even got a hype avatar! :) ...

did you watch any videos of this or previous games? what were you expecting to find that you haven't? better combat? story?...

i think it's in the 'do something wrong, cut your pinky off' sense of 'manly' :) ...
I don't have a hype avatar, i have a supporter avatar, world of difference between those 2

This thread is the pick me up I needed today. Between this and the number of my friends who picked it up and haven't been able to put it down, it's so great.

shandy706

I think about 1 hr and 25 minutes. As soon as you can go to Club SEGA.

Enjoy becoming a ufo catcher master. The experience helped me will in my Japan trip!

That's a damn lie I sucked horrible at it both in the game and real life.

an hour maybe? it is when you get to really free roam, it is in the arcades

Ok, makes sense. I've spent well over an hour in the game already....but that's just me wandering around and looking at stuff...so that's normal. The first time I tried to enter the Sega building there was no "enter" icon popping up, figured I'd have to wait a bit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fizzled out on the series after playing Y1-3. I really got tired of the sluggish pacing and copious amounts of repetitive dialogue that danced around getting to the point. Kiryu was a bit too staid as well with his only real memorable trait being how effective he is at beating everyone to a pulp.

After three games I just couldn't find motivation to continue on with 4 and 5, but positive impressions on 0 have me intrigued. There is a lot to like in the series(given I did finish three of them), but there is plenty I am hoping to see improved as well. I'll muster my desire to give this game a try, but likely after a price drop.

I was playing as Majima thinking his story was kinda boring, not grabbing me as much as Kiryu's then I played through chapter 4 and was hooked only for it to end and switch over to Kiryu lol

Pls. Sega has put out so many good games over the last decade.

I don't mean to be a Sega hater as I do love Sonic Generations and Sonic Mania looks great. On top of that, the best games they published would have to be Condemned, Bayonetta, Madworld and Vanquish but outside of those (and outside of Yakuza and Atlus games) Sega has been super spotty (at best) in my personal opinion.

Top Bottom