• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. RHC

Is there a possibility that Versus will be a NextBox or and a NextStation title? Maybe they are holding it back for another year or two.

jorgeton

I mean, at this point the game has to deliver day 1. It has to be on par if not better than the top tier console RPGs out there. No pressure, SE. (I'm sure they are quite aware of this.. hence the secrecy and prolonged development.)

I mean, at this point the game has to deliver day 1. It has to be on par if not better than the top tier console RPGs out there. No pressure, SE. (I'm sure they are quite aware of this.. hence the secrecy and prolonged development.)

Console RPGs haven't even been this good this gen, so won't be much of a feat.

BadWolf

I have a strong feeling that this game will end up being a commercial flop even after selling 4-5 million.

That's a possibility only if the game has been in development as long as some people think it has been (since that first teaser/trailer).

Just seems like the game was revealed way too early and actual work began on it way after, with various distractions along the way (so no full on effort where a ton of SE staff were solely focused on it).

jorgeton

Xenoblade did it. Well, maybe except for the story, I don't really remember the story lol.

Yeah, pretty much. Xenoblade nailed it. Story was kind of meh, but it got really good at the end. Versus needs to at least be as good as Xenoblade. It'll def. be better looking.

patsu

Small update, but Shinji Hashimoto, the game's producer made a couple comments on the game today - if there needed to be further confirmation the game was in development.

Nothing new but, "First and foremost it is important to bring out Versus. Versus is supposed to be incredibly amazing," as an indication somehow of how much the game has progressed according to the original poster who was around for this special guest chat Hashimoto went to.

Argh, at least show me the limited edition goodies, if not a screenshot or demo. 8^P

Mesoian

Yeah, pretty much. Xenoblade nailed it. Story was kind of meh, but it got really good at the end. Versus needs to at least be as good as Xenoblade. It'll def. be better looking.

Versus needs to be a LOT better than Xenoblade, Xenoblade completely falls apart at the end.

ED Cantu

You know what be nice? A new trailer, screenshots, ANYTHING to show their 'progress'.

This, I mean if they don't want to show a trailer or something it's ok but, How about showing some screenshots or artwork? something to let us know there is progress with this game.

It's been over a year and a half since we saw something from this game, no wonder that rumors about cancellation started to pop out.

StuBurns

Banned
do we know how much they've spent on it?
No, but we could probably take an educated guess. We know the staff size for the most part, the average wage at SE, roughly how long they were on other projects etc, the CG is impossible to gauge though I imagine.

At this point, the project has to have cost a small fortune, the days of 'well it's not in full development' as a manner of downplaying the budget are over.

Dunan

I have no problem with them reusing assets. They did it with FF1-2-3, 4-5-6, and somewhat with 7-8-9. Don't spend money reinventing the wheel graphics-wise; spend money creating a memorable story in a compelling world.

"supposed to be incredibly amazing" doesn't inspire much confidence (although the quote probably loses something in translation)

Quote reads like they've given up on what the game is supposed to be are are just trying to get the game out at this point. Not that I blame them of course, but if you've taken this long might as well take as long as you need to get it right

LOL, even the producer knows next to nothing about this game.

RSLAEV

I really believe this game cut all ties from 13 and is just being prepped as 14 or some sort of really big non numbered game. Also the exclusivity has to be out the window at this point.

God I hope so. Associating this game with the Final Fantasy 13 world will only lose them sales. It's time to put that dog down and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom