• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most memorable Christmas present of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimothy

PS2_box.jpg

Christmas 2001.

Leeness

My grandparents just gave me, and all my cousins, $5000 each. That was pretty shocking lol.

Most memorable as a kid was a trip to Disneyland from my parents. They did the whole...gave us travel supplies and such and we were all "that's all...? :("

"Oh yeah, we're going to Disneyland tomorrow morning".

My sister started to cry lol.

MechDX

Yep. It was a great victory for me because my father was sitting down going through a walmart flyer and the Playstation + N64 was on it. I asked for the 64 and my older brother wanted the Playstation. Dad said he was only buying one. My dad got up and walked out of the room. My brother told me that if my dad didn't buy a Playstation he was going to beat my ass. A few weeks later I unwrap it and my brother saw me, tackled me, and proceeded to fuck me up. My dad actually bought a Playstation too as he did show us, but gave it to our cousin after whipping my brother's ass. Was a glorious day indeed. I played Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing until I fell asleep.

So basically everyone got an ass whoopin for Christmas?

Christopher

3d platforming in the day blew my 10 year old mind all my friends came over and my mom cooked the whole week cookies and goodies never again will I feel like that

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Peace and goodwill to all... and revenge against my enemies.

(Serious answer, my Sega Saturn. Everyone had a PlayStation back then, but this was the only way to play Daytona USA at home without getting the actual arcade machine. And the XBLA/PSN port was still 16 years away, so I had to make do with what Sega gave me...)

cbox

I never got expensive gifts as a kid, usually ninja turtles toys and clothes. One year I got a ps1 and gran turismo because my parents knew I loved cars more than anything else. I cried when I opened it and played the shit out of that system.

Good times

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yep. It was a shared gift between me and my sister. It was the greatest thing ever. Until then all we had was an Atari 2600. This was a leap ahead.

I got a Nintendo 64 years later but no games though. All the stores were out. It wasn't until march that I got Mario 64.

Stark contrast to the NES that came with everything in the box. (I know it was still a bundle but still..)

May16

1800160-nintendogameboybox.jpg

I was like "This...this is like a Nintendo...that I can CARRY AROUND ANYWHERE!
...Nothing will ever be better than this, ever."

linkboy

HUN1800.gif

And not because of how awesome it was, but because it still holds the #1 spot for the worst gift I've ever received in my 38yrs on this planet.

Those pencil sharpeners were amazing to me in the first grade.

And I want to retcon my post earlier regarding my SNES, it takes second place to what occured on Dec 20th, 2010

164788_10150099346696005_1125970_n.jpg

My Sega Genesis I think. I opened like all my presents Christmas eve like we usually do and then I was a little disappointed because I only got like a thing or two of clothes, a VHS, maybe a lego set and that was all and was wondering why I didn't get as much as my sister to boot. I wasn't really destroyed, just a little disheartened because I had been pining over it and really wanted one. My parents come get me playing in the other room and say they must have missed one of my presents in the corner and I should come to see if it were mine. So I opened it and it was a Sega Genesis and I couldn't stop playing it. I only got Sonic the Hedgehog and I think Thunder Force III. It was amazing!

pringles

Ocarina Of Time. Christmas 98.

Joy. Pure, unadultered joy it was opening the wrapping and seeing the golden box.

Also one of the only times in my life where sky-high expecations were not let down in the slightest.

Anth0ny

I got a Nintendo 64 years later but no games though. All the stores were out. It wasn't until march that I got Mario 64.

My parents didn't buy me a game with my N64. I had to go to Blockbuster to rent Mario. They weren't about to spend $200 for a console and $50 on a game.

Marda

Neo Member
A second SNES controller from my father, I wasn't with him on Christmas, but as a 7 year old with a single mom, my undying love for the one I was supposed to call dad was still there. It was the only gift I've ever gotten from him, and while today I don't care to have any kind of relationship with him, the memories of all the excitement I had stays with me. Plus I was finally able to play Mortal Kombat with my mom's friends.

fritolay

I bought a game cube for a present for a family member. I then played it for the 30 days leading up to Christmas and then wrapped it back up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My parents didn't buy me a game with my N64. I had to go to Blockbuster to rent Mario. They weren't about to spend $200 for a console and $50 on a game.
You couldn't find a single game (None of the three that came out) for months. Our uncle called us one day and asked if we wanted him to ship us a copy of Mario that he found in a store. That was a glorious day when it arrived. Sure I had played the game in Toys 'R' Us but now I was free to do whatever I wanted in the game without restraint. So happy. The next game we got was Shadows of the Empire which was also awesome, but man.. when we finally got Mario.

Uh oh. You got the less cool Duck Hunt-less version! You'll never know the joy of standing up to the screen trying to shoot the dog.

cryptic

Dreamcast.

Had only a ps1 for a long time and after trying out a Dreamcast through a kiosk at Toys R Us I was blown away.

My parents wouldn't typically buy me something that nice, so I never expected it, and it turned out to be my favorite system, due especially to Shenmue.

Mine was probably my Genesis. It was a group gift for me and my sister and when we walked into the living room to open presents my parents already had the Genesis hooked up to the TV with Sonic 2 playing. So of course I flipped the fuck out and went straight for the Genesis instead of the other gifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom