• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most memorable Christmas present of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
When I was like 16 I got a sidekick2 for Christmas. It was amazing, I could and read and post on the ign boards from anywhere, and it had full aim support and email. There was a very rudimentary App Store and there was a website that all your contacts notes and photos appeared on. So I could like, write papers in high school during independent study and then pull them up on the teachers computers to print out. It also had all sorts of features for deaf people like incredibly granular vibration notifications and multicolored LEDs. I always kept it in silence but I could know what type of message I'd get by the vibration pattern, etc. goddamn that was a killer phone. I used it all the way up to the iPhones release in 2007. I was gonna say the sega genesis I got when I was in kindergarten, but that first smartphone was really something else at the time.

Noema

Probably my Commodore 64 back in 1986. I was 8, and I had been bugging my parents for months because I wanted one so, so badly.

When I saw the pile of wrapped up boxes under the tree that Christmas morning, I immediately knew what they contained. My hands were trembling and I could barely manage to rip apart the gift wraps.

JaseMath

Probably my PS3. Until then, I either received my consoles as "group" gifts (since I have 3 siblings) or bought them myself when I got older. Getting one for just me and it being $500 made it pretty special.

Arthrus

Gotta be the year my brothers and I got SSBM, Waverace, and I think Pikmin. It was an amazing year.
EDIT: Also got an amazing set of skis, I think.

50674_o7auuz.gif

Yeah, this.

I got an NES and a Genesis for Christmas in earlier years, but I was too young to know what an NES was and it had to be explained to me and I didn't even know there were other consoles besides the NES when I got a Genesis. I was at the perfect age for the N64 though.

Tawpgun

After all presents had been open I heard a knock on the door. I open it and the only thing there was a black baby bunny. First pet I ever had.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
My dad got me 28 pounds of hot chocolate mix last year.

One year later I have finished one bag (two pounds).

Labadal

Getting a Gameboy Pocket + Tetris and Donkey Kong Land. I had begged for a GBP for about a year, but my mother would have non of that. Talk about a big surprise when I opened my present and saw what it was. Still have the GBP and it's more or less in mint condition.

Also got all the sets for this.

Exuro

My brother and I both got a gameboy color(Purple and Teal) with pokemon(Blue and Yellow) as well as pokemon cds. I still remember most of the songs.

Recently(5ish years ago) my parents had a surprised Wii gift for the family back when they were really hard to find. That was a fun xmas.

The immediate present that springs to mind was this gift I got one year. I remember sitting around the tree in the morning and waiting to unwrap presentsin thia little apartment I used to live in in Texas. Eventually I began to eviscerate all presents, and lo and behold the only one I can remember from that christmas was a boxing ring game similiar to rockem sockem robots. Yet these were no mere robots. These were Spider-man and Venom. Mano y mano. I remember that christmas the best. Good memories.

UraMallas

Knight Rider Big Wheel.

NNEIL.jpg

My mom said she was up all night assembling it. I rode that thing until the front wheel wore down to two disks.

I could think of better presents throughout life, but when I was 6 or something, all I wanted for Christmas was the Milton Bradley game Fireball ISland

nicebox.jpg

If you remember this game you remember it as a major letdown, but the commercial was awesome, and basically all you wanted to do was stand up your guys on the bridges and let them get knocked over. My grandmother got it for me that year. That was awesome. I also seriously used to study the box art for hours on end wondering about the adventures those guys were on.

Other great gift memories... I remember one year I got THREE videogames... NBA Live 96, Madden 96, and NHL 96. That was great.

Yen

GBA with Yoshi's Island. My first ever console, and what has become my favourite game ever.
Would've been 8 in 2002ish.

Fry

Don't really remember having memorable christmas presents, that only usually happened on my birthday.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The one that stands out is when my older brother and I got an NES for Christmas. Mostly because the way my parents gave it to us.

I don't remember the exact details as I was only about 6, so late 80's but it was kind of like a scavenger hunt. We got given a card with clues on where to look next, then we'd run around and try to figure out where they meant. One was hidden under clothes, in a sock basket etc, then we'd find a game with a new clue on it and we'd run off and repeat the process. I think when we got to the oven that's when we got the console itself. All in all we got about 6 games + the console.

Grassy

Hard to decide on one but I think it was Christmas in 1982 when my parents went nuts and bought me so much Star Wars shit, the Millennium Falcon, a Snowspeeder and heaps of figurines. I mean I can still remember that day now 30 years later.

Then there was the year I got my Atari 2600. It was the only thing on my Christmas list and I woke up early and it wasn't under the Christmas tree and I remember getting all sooky and going back to bed. Got back up a bit later and there it fucking was, sitting in the fireplace! I was very happy.

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah, the best thing I got easily for xmas was my NES. I never quite got anything ever again that lived up to it. For some reason, my older brother was the one who got SNES and Genesis for xmas later...looking back, it seemed like he always got the bigger presents, and because I was the younger brother, I didn't get the big stuff except the NES that one year.

Even when I did get the NES, my older brothers knew I got it, because one of them had rented baseball games for it before I even opened it. That kinda pisses me off looking back, lol. It wasn't their NES!

Az987

all good things
One year I got this Lego alien space ship that had these fiber optic cables where you pushed a button that would make them glow. It was pretty rad.

I can't really remember anything super memorable. I have so many GI Joes, Ninja Turtles and Marvel action figures shoved in giant cases in my basement that were probably mostly Christmas gifts.

I got an original Xbox the year it came out but that was more like a 'I have no idea what to ask for' present then something I was really hoping to get.

Here's a pic!

Z1krG.jpg

I put the whole thing together that day. I think I was 11.

m3k

i think it was when i got some decepticon transformers and they were part of a group which turned into a giant transformer

shit was ace, but i never got to complete thebig one

I was 12 (1989) before I got a Nintendo, and I think there's a picture of me goggling at it immediately after unwrapping it. That same year, I got a basketball hoop. Not a nerf-hoop. A fiberglass backboard with the brand-spanking-new technology of variable heights to set, and a spring-loaded rim. Easily the biggest haul I ever got for a single Christmas. I don't remember how many extra hours Dad had to work to help pay for all that, but I remember not seeing him much that year.

Prior to that, I think my biggest Christmas came at age 7 (1984). I'd only just a week-and-a-half prior gone to a movie theater for the first time, to see Return of the Jedi. So mom and dad dropped this one-two punch on me:

tie-front.jpg

and

vintage-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-speeder-bike-vehicle.jpg

And also wrapped, under the tree, was this box-set:

lotr36.jpg

I never managed to make it past the first 100 pages of Fellowship until around age 14 or 15, but I read the hell out of The Hobbit for the next few years.

Empty

ps1 and rayman 2

my parents were weirdly anti-videogame for a long time in my childhood (this backfired totally) and as such refused to buy me a console despite my asking for ages, so when this was unwrapped i was super happy.

jchap

I really really wanted electronic battle ship for some reason when I was like 6. I got it and was incredibly happy until I found out how lame the game was. My mom made all kinds of hints about me not getting it. I was really not expecting it at all.

6a00d83451b91969e201538e6ff15a970b-800wi

Strangely enough I think I got the NES that same Christmas. I didn't even know it existed or what it was so I wasn't excited at all for it. I remember I was shocked that the Mario game I played in Pistol Pete's Pizza was now on my TV. I also remember being incredibly frustrated with the Gyromite robot.

Riggs

Banned

Probably a Turbo Hopper .... not because it was the best thing ever, but because my mom was recording me opening gifts and I said "OH SHIT A TURBO HOPPPPER!!!" I was like 6 at the time. My mom just laughed and said don't say that word or something, was kind of funny at the time.

Thing went fast as fuck btw.

Also N64 is definitely up there for me, seeing Mario in 3d was breath taking.

Ronabo

This awesome mother fucker right here!

2JPrt.jpg

Apparently took my mother weeks to find one. She ended up traveling to another state to get it.

2nd place goes to.

voltron-vechile-team-toy.jpg

LogicStep

All this thread did was make me realize how christmas has lost its spirit for me. No more looking forward to presents or anything like that.

iirate

There's 2 gifts that rank up there and both were in 1991. I got my Super Nintendo(along with Super Mario World) which is still my favorite gaming system of all time. That same year, my mom crocheted an awesome blanket for me that I'm still using to this day. Nothing has beaten either of those.

Sega Dreamcast.

sega-dreamcast.jpg

with Sonic Adventure

Sonic_Adventure.PNG

Not just because it was a terrific system (it was!), but also it was the first thing I ever saved up any money for. I saved up my allowance for over a year, until I had about $150. My big Christmas present that year was that my parents pitched in for the rest. On top of which, I was allowed to open up one gift on Christmas Eve and my uncle gave me Sonic Adventure, so my parents were like, well, we may as well let you open up the big one.

Awesome.

jmdajr

This one year I go so many G.I. Joes and Vehicles. Fuck, it was incredible.

Never matched really. I was blessed.

Shizzlee

Yep. It was a great victory for me because my father was sitting down going through a walmart flyer and the Playstation + N64 was on it. I asked for the 64 and my older brother wanted the Playstation. Dad said he was only buying one. My dad got up and walked out of the room. My brother told me that if my dad didn't buy a Playstation he was going to beat my ass. A few weeks later I unwrap it and my brother saw me, tackled me, and proceeded to fuck me up. My dad actually bought a Playstation too as he did show us, but gave it to our cousin after whipping my brother's ass. Was a glorious day indeed. I played Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing until I fell asleep.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Super Nintendo with my first game ever Donkey Kong Country.

C-Drive

My grandparents had taken a huge box, filled it with Batman toys and merchandise (this was probably Christmas 89 or 90). To this day, the idea of getting a ton of toys that fall under one brand or character excites me, even though I don't get toys anymore.

I'll do it for my kids someday.

My Game Gear from SAMS that came with Sonic 1 and Clutch Hitter was memorable as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom