• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most memorable Christmas present of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Easy, the trampoline my parents bought and secretly set up in our backyard on Christmas Eve 1989 without me or my brothers noticing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
N64

My parents hid it behind another Christmas Tree that was in the other room. I thought I already opened up all my presents. Boy was I wrong.

Runnerups are SNES and PS1 + Final Fantasy VII.

The Nintendo DS, without a doubt. I've never wanted something more in my life. I think I was 9 or 10 at the time. My family took a trip to NYC and I got to play it at the brand new Nintendo Store. I remember it being a HUGE release; my parents kept saying that they couldn't find it anywhere. It was the only thing on my list. Christmas day they kept saying "Sorry, we couldn't find one..." followed by "Welp, I guess that's all the presents." My dad basically tortured me with this stuff, hah. Eventually after a few minutes of silent disappointment he said something along the lines of "Wait... There's one more present underneath the couch!"

I freaked out!

Joe

The movie Speed on VHS. We were poor and I wanted it so bad. I must have it watched 10 times in the first month.

I wish I could join the N64 people but I literally begged for mine before Christmas and got it a week before so it doesn't count. :(

With that said, I got the greatest game of all time as a surprise one Christmas:
250px-Majora_box.jpg

I opened the wrapping and found a Dancing Santa box and thought "WTF is this shit?" right before opening up and seeing the game inside it. BEST. CHRISTMAS. EVER!

Regular edition though, no 3D cover art.

raindoc

the LEGO pirate ship - got it from my grandpa, about 20 years ago:

EDIT - awesome thread. and BTW: merry christmas to you lot

EDIT2 - this year's present from my little sister:
8304449737_5f2bca0f64_z.jpg

and it talks.

linkboy

Super%20Nintendo%20box.png

You should have seen my shock when my brother and I ripped the wrapping paper off to see this bad boy.

This was after my brother had swapped tags with my other brother's present and I caught my mom swapping them back (that was when I figured out who Santa really was).

We almost got stuck with one of these

My-Pal-2-whatever-happened-to-29568467-199-292.jpg

Aesius

Christmas 1995, my brother and I got Chrono Trigger, a Playstation, and a computer. It was easily the most amazing Xmas ever.

Darren870

I was going to say my SNES, as I was so goddamn stoked and it was Christmas at my cousins' house so we all took turns marathoning that game on Christmas day, with a slight bout of frustration getting through the Forest of Illusion.

But then I remembered this.

iYP2OLGBoC0aB.jpg

I was the N64 kid with that ship.

Both of these. I was definitely a lego kid growing up, still have those sets too!

I got most my consoles during birthdays or I bought them. The last one that was a gift was the N64 and I am pretty sure I got that during the summer.

Joates

Banned
Besides shit tons of power ranger stuff, easily my N64, but that's partially because I never got the knex roller coaster that I wanted more than anything back then...

gimmmick

Awesome thread. My most memorable christmas my parents gave me back when I was 5 or 6 was this:

firetruckpowerwheels.jpg

You had no idea how happy me and my brother were when we woke up to this. Wow I can still remember that it took longer to charge than the actual time we rode it, but we were just happy riding it around the neighborhood. I even told my parents told them a couple of years ago (I'm 28 in present day) that was the best christmas gift I have ever received.

Close second was the sega game gear.

SegaGameGear.jpg

I remember my brother got a game boy with super mario land and I got this the same year. I still have it and love playing the games that I got on christmas and over the years.

darthbob

Different years: But my favorites are:

103998462-260x260-0-0_Lego+LEGO+Star+Wars+Tie+Fighter+and+Y+Wing+7150.jpg

TitanusMIB1a.jpg

Fucking neighbor kid broke it, and we couldn't get another.

Then...

Nintendo+64+Atomic+Purple+Color+Box.png

I fucking loved Christmas when I was a kid.

The PS2. My parents let me have any video game systems when I was a kid, so I had to go over friends houses to play their N64's. Actually pretty smart by my parents as it forced me to socialize, but anyway I got the PS2 as a surprise when it came out for Christmas and it was the most exciting thing ever. I finally had a system that was my own.

I don't recall that many Christmas gifts, to be honest. So I guess the default would be that year my brother and I collectively got a small TV (<=15") and a NES. Partly because it was more than we would typically get, and partly because I actually remember it, unlike other gifts.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Nintendo fucking 64. I remember vividly playing Super Mario 64 the whole night and waking up the next day at 6:00 am to keep playing.

SmithnCo

I wish I could join the N64 people but I literally begged for mine before Christmas and got it a week before so it doesn't count. :(

With that said, I got the greatest game of all time as a surprise one Christmas:
250px-Majora_box.jpg

I opened the wrapping and found a Dancing Santa box and thought "WTF is this shit?" right before opening up and seeing the game inside it. BEST. CHRISTMAS. EVER!

Regular edition though, no 3D cover art.

Probably this for me too. I was huge into OOT so when I unwrapped this I was in ecstasy.

Trouble

Banned
8hJYh.jpg

Not because of the game itself, but because of what my Mom went through to get it for me.

12 year old me fucking loooved the first Zelda, so 13 year old me was understandably super-hyped for the sequel. It was the only thing I really wanted for Christmas 88'. The game wasn't released until December in the U.S. and was extremely hard to find. My mom hunted for it, but couldn't find it. She sat me down a week before Christmas and told me that she'd been looking, but couldn't find a copy and would get me one as soon as she could find one after Christmas, but it might be a little while. I was disappointed, but I understood.

Fast forward to Christmas morning, I'm opening presents and my mom gives me a present and says I should open it. I'll never forget the big smile on her face. I open a copy of Zelda II and flip my shit. Turns out my mom spent hours on Christmas Eve calling and visiting every store that sold video games until she found one that had a copy.

TL;DR: Best mom ever.

JordanN

Banned
I couldn't decide whether to ask for Kirby Air Ride or Mario Sunshine. Good thing I made the right choice and asked for Mario.
ZMkpL.jpg

I also had so much fun with this as a kid.
F7Xbt.jpg

There's also an army themed one I got.

This present was a mistake. I was suppose to get Shaun palmer's pro snowboarder but ended up with this game instead.
3SJnw.jpg

Natetan

You'd think it would be the nes w/ 7 games I got one year.

But for some reason the timr iI got FF2 SNES dtands jut the most, loved that game.

I just remembered one year when I got ocarina f time

I had it pre ordered months before release and I've just remembered now it was meant to be a gold cart but it wasn't

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
A Gameboy Color with Pokemon Silver is easily the best present I've ever received. As a runner-up, a couple of years later, a construction company bought me Christmas presents and I got a copy of the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG game (which, as somebody who didn't really care for the show or the cards, was incredibly fun) and bright yellow pants with a million pockets and zippers. I wore those pants everywhere.

Edit: Getting Absolute Watchmen two years ago was also incredible, especially since the book is so expensive. I've had a lot of great Christmas presents.

Joates

Banned

Out of curiosity, did you get the big three for Christmas or did you get a box/booster pack that they happened to come in?

I remember trading a venusaur for a booster pack at a local shop way back when, and got my first charizard out of that pack, the look on the owners face was priceless. I was so so happy.

Cipherr

jordan-6-release-1-600x3821.jpg

I honestly cannot remember if it was Christmas or a Birthday. But I went off when I got the Jordan VI man. Those shoes were a religion for kids in Chicago. I loved my video games then, but they just couldn't compare.

aparisi2274

HUN1800.gif

And not because of how awesome it was, but because it still holds the #1 spot for the worst gift I've ever received in my 38yrs on this planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom