• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki will be doing an AMA on Reddit

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Shenmue is based off of 11 chapters that make up the whole story. These past 14 years I have been planning 4 or 5 games that would encompass the whole series.

Looks like Shenmue 3 will not be the culmination of the series...

Something tells me we might be here for a while.

Hello everyone, thank you for coming. I will do my best to answer as many questions as I can. As I will be answering through a translator, it may take longer to respond. Your understanding is appreciated.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I bet mine won't be answered, but submitted three questions. XD; I have a feeling mine might be a tad hard to translate and/or part of it can't be answered. I also maybe asked too much.

I have three kind of odd questions. I'll try and keep them brief.

Firstly, have you had a chance to play any games recently? And if so, what have you been playing and really enjoyed?

Secondly, a bit of a stranger question, Shenmue Online was cancelled, but a lot of music was finished for it. Do you think any music might be re-purposed for Shenmue 3, or will it stay unused?

Thirdly, general question, but do you notice any films, books, games, life experiences, that you're consciously a pulling inspiration from while developing Shenmue 3?

Edit: Decided my third question was maybe too complex and changed it.

Browsing ebay for some copies of Shenmue

fuck man, almost 100 bucks for 1 and 70-80 for shenmue 2

and i need to buy a dreamcast

:(

really hope they release those HD remasters

benzy

Still thinking about but hasn't decided yet, on whether or not he'll continue to takes funds through paypal after kickstarter ends.

Q:

Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate to the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

A:

Yu_Suzuki:

I am still thinking about it, but have not decided yet.

Q:

How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

A:

Yu Suzuki:

There are a total of 11 chapters that make up the whole story. Over the past 14 years I originally planned for there to 4 or five games to the series. If at all possible, I would still like to realize the full story of 11 chapters.

Q:

Shenmue is a Peach Blossom tree correct? Could you tell us what type of tree exactly?
I would like to plant one.

A:

Yu Suzuki:

It is more like a cherry blossom tree, that blooms its flowers in the springtime. It is actually a tree I made up for the story.

Apparently some Redditors are asking him questions like "Where can I find sailors?" and "Would you like to try a game of lucky hit?". I know I shouldn't laugh but that's hilarious.

Day night cycle and weather confirmed to return.

Q:

Hello Suzuku-san! Will a day-to-night cycle and weather system return to Shenmue 3? They added so much to the atmosphere of previous games. Thank you Suzuki-san!

A:

Yu Suzuki:

Of course!

Krejlooc

Banned
I like how it's not going to end in 3. If it does well, we will get a 4 or 5.

He should never compromise. I want his full vision. The cards showing off his original concept of the story looks awesome:

eAhEl94.png

For reference, we're barely at around card 4 or 5 in the top row.

Q:

Will you reassure us that Ryo's face will be changed back to the Ryo we all know and love when Shenmue 3 releases, and not this impostor wearing Ryo's jacket that you have on Kickstarter? That is NOT our Ryo!

A:

Yu Suzuki:

I am not happy with Ryo's face. It will be the face I have in my mind in the end.

MilkBeard

Q:

Will you reassure us that Ryo's face will be changed back to the Ryo we all know and love when Shenmue 3 releases, and not this impostor wearing Ryo's jacket that you have on Kickstarter? That is NOT our Ryo!

A:

Yu Suzuki:

I am not happy with Ryo's face. It will be the face I have in my mind in the end.

Lol, I thought this was hilarious. But yes, I'm glad he answered it. And I'm glad he's going to change the face because the design on the new model looks weird, and doesn't look like the old Ryo that we all know.

Is this in reference to the new face or the old?

I read it as the new one, but it's possible he isn't happy with either. I'm sure the original face was limited by technology at the time. It's highly unlikely with the advances in graphics the face will look the same. Look at the new Drake in Uncharted 4

Q:

A:

Yu Suzuki:

v7c1kEZ.gif

Q:

Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

A:

Yu_Suzuki:

As for III, I would like to make a less stressful user interface, that will feature more usability. From now on, I will make that a focus.

Q:

Did you see Michael Huber's (of GameTrailers) intense emotional reaction to your announcment of Shenmue 3?

A:

Yu_Suzuki:

Yes, I liked it a lot.

Wallach

He should never compromise. I want his full vision. The cards showing off his original concept of the story looks awesome:

eAhEl94.png

For reference, we're barely at around card 4 or 5 in the top row.

Is this implying the guy becomes Akira from Virtua Fighter...?

benzy

I read it as the new one, but it's possible he isn't happy with either. I'm sure the original face was limited by technology at the time. It's highly unlikely with the advances in graphics the face will look the same. Look at the new Drake in Uncharted 4

The new one is still strange looking. The new model can be seen in the video versus the kickstarter page version. Considering how Suzuki is so very detail-oriented, we'll most likely get a much better model in the end.

Top Bottom