• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki will be doing an AMA on Reddit

Q:

1.) Yu, are you really going to be signing your autograph on the illustration for the $300 kickstarter signed collectors edition? So far there is almost 2000 backers, that is a lot of illustrations to sign!
2.) Will you please keep the japanese audio for Shenmue III? A lot of fan loves the Japanese voice overs over the US voice overs.

A:

Yu Suzuki:

1.) Of course I will write them all myself!

Krejlooc

Banned
Q:

1.) Yu, are you really going to be signing your autograph on the illustration for the $300 kickstarter signed collectors edition? So far there is almost 2000 backers, that is a lot of illustrations to sign!
2.) Will you please keep the japanese audio for Shenmue III? A lot of fan loves the Japanese voice overs over the US voice overs.

A:

Yu Suzuki:

1.) Of course I will write them all myself!

So fucking awesome. I am so damn stoked.

Q:

Our twenty eighth question from the 500k community. -Will Shenmue 3 have any sort of multiplayer component? Perhaps Co-op or a versus mode?

A:

Yu Suzuki:

I am thinking about something that would resemble that.

DigiMish

Asynchronous multiplayer where you can see how other players are doing, or something light resembling world tendencies in Demon's Souls would be neat I think, and wouldn't be too complex to implement.

batfax

Q:

Will character polls compromise your artistic vision?

A:

I really want to get everyone's opinion on the characters. I have something in mind that won't break the world immersion.

Character polls? Did I miss something?

edit:

Asynchronous multiplayer where you can see how other players are doing, or something light resembling world tendencies in Demon's Souls would be neat I think, and wouldn't be too complex to implement.

I think it might be nice of an online component to have global high scores for arcade and minigames and stuff.

Trojan X

Banned
- Why did it take this long to make Shenmue III? Did Shenmue II fail to meet expectations?
- Can you add a sega arcade in the game and add games like Wonderboy, Outrun etc?
- Please don't put in any QTEs!

Bro, these are not good questions and they have been answered countless times, I would ignore the last advice too. Remember Shenmue was the originator of QTE and did it awesomely. Many other games that featured QTE after Shenmue made the feature boring due to the way it was applied, it was there for the sake of it or to trigger an unrelated/nonsensical cinematic. Also, Yu Suzuki already said that he want to do something beyond QTE too so let's not waste his time answering questions we already know the answer to.

Resilient

(Translated from Japanese, sorry if it doesn't make sense. If someone can get a better translation, please post it)

Q:

鈴木さんこんにちは! シェンムー3は、1章と2のように日本語ボイスがあるのでしょうか? 公式サイトで松風雅也さんが紹介されてましたが、主人公芭月涼の声優は1章と2と同じく松風雅也さんなのでしょうか? キックスターター応援してます!シェンムー3の開発頑張ってください。 (前の記事にも同じ質問をしましたが、もう一度こちらに書いておきます)

A:

Yu Suzuki:

あります!

There will!

Edit: I think he's asking if there will be an option for Japanese voices in Shenmue 3, and Suzuki says there will. Did I read that right?

Hello Yu Suzuki! In Shenmue 3, will there be Japanese voices as in Shenmue 1 and 2? The official site introduces Matsukaze Masaya, so will Matsukaze Masaya be the main character, Ryo's voice actor, as in Shenmue 1 and 2? (The rest is about how the fan supported the Kickstarter, and how they want them to do their best. They also state this question has been answered before lol).

nasax

Q:

Our twenty eighth question from the 500k community. -Will Shenmue 3 have any sort of multiplayer component? Perhaps Co-op or a versus mode?

A:

Yu Suzuki:

I am thinking about something that would resemble that.

It'll be notes from other players a la Dark Souls.

"Do you know where I can find some sailors?" notes will be littered everywhere. It'll be the new "Praise the Sun"

Alright, he hasn't answered anything in 20 minutes and I'm getting tired and depressed that I can't find a PAL Dreamcast to buy

Maybe someone else can take up the mantle of posting any more replies. Good night guys

It feels SO fucking good seeing Yu getting back into deep, real game development with this game...

Feels like Rocky getting back into the ring in Rocky Balboa (2006).

Aaaaand I'm still here

Q:

Do you have any more details to share about the stretch goals? It's not clear to me what a "Rapport System" or "Character Perspective System" entails.

A:

Yu Suzuki:

They are new systems, so naturally they need new names. The Rapport System will govern changes in Shenhua's actions depending on your conversations with or actions towards her. The "Character Perspective System" will highlight different characters personalities as they go through the story.

GavinGT

Banned
Q:

What will Ryo do to earn money in Shenmue 3?

A:

There will be part time jobs that will be indicative of those you would find in China. In the Stretch goals there will also be the old favorites.

Spaghetti

Aaaaand I'm still here

Q:

Do you have any more details to share about the stretch goals? It's not clear to me what a "Rapport System" or "Character Perspective System" entails.

A:

Yu Suzuki:

They are new systems, so naturally they need new names. The Rapport System will govern changes in Shenhua's actions depending on your conversations with or actions towards her. The "Character Perspective System" will highlight different characters personalities as they go through the story.
rapport system sounds cool as hell

Hey man THANK YOU. I find Reddit to be a mess to navigate. You've made this real easy for us. Much obliged!

You're welcome. I don't use Reddit, and I'm sure to people that do it makes sense. But as an outsider I have no idea how anyone can read that illegible mess of text

Edit: Yu has 3 yorkies and a turtle, in case that had been keeping anyone up at night for 14 years :p

UrbanRats

Q:

What will Ryo do to earn money in Shenmue 3?

A:

There will be part time jobs that will be indicative of those you would find in China. In the Stretch goals there will also be the old favorites.

Yo, some fan service is fine, but don't go destroying your game just to please nostalgia!

I'm saying this as a general rule of thumb.

GavinGT

Banned
Yo, some fan service is fine, but don't go destroying your game just to please nostalgia!

I'm saying this as a general rule of thumb.

Hey, moving crates from one pallet to another one 35 feet away is a necessary task no matter where you're from! And you'd better stumble around in a zig-zag line as you do it!

I've seen this on the KS page.

Are there plans for the HD versions of Shenmue 1 & 2?
The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are not in a position to comment on that.

I'm sure that Sega is going to make remakes just before Shenmue 3 comes out.
I can see the future :D

Chû Totoro;169140003 said:
I've seen this on the KS page.

I'm sure that Sega is going to make remakes just before Shenmue 3 comes out.
I can see the future :D

Apparently they have the HD versions done, and basically can release them if they want

GavinGT

Banned
Apparently they have the HD versions done, and basically can release them if they want

Someone in the other thread claimed (with no source) that one of the companies behind some of the middleware went under. Sega decided it wasn't worth it to navigate the legal maze of who owned what and didn't release the games. This was right after some of their other DC-era re-releases underperformed.

Why don't they release them... :'(

Well... now that Shenmue 3 is officially coming I clearly want to play it but it's a great opportunity for SEGA so they should sell the two first games like dec 2015 and dec 2016 (omg it's making me realize dec 2017 is really REALLY far).

GavinGT

Banned
Q:

How much game elements/features will we be missing in the game if the campaign doesn't reach the $5 million mark?

A:

I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.
At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world.

Q:

How much game elements/features will we be missing in the game if the campaign doesn't reach the $5 million mark?

A:

I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.
And there it is.

We have our marching orders, friends.

Spaghetti

Q:

A:

... anybody know if notch likes shenmue?

GavinGT

Banned
Q:

Can we expect more duck racing in Shenmue III? That was the best easter egg I've ever seen in a video game.

A:

I would love it.

UrbanRats

Someone in the other thread claimed (with no source) that one of the companies behind some of the middleware went under. Sega decided it wasn't worth it to navigate the legal maze of who owned what and didn't release the games. This was right after some of their other DC-era re-releases underperformed.

iCMbn67nc5etA.png

Of course i have my DC copies of Shenmue 1&2, but i don't want to think that, were something to happen to them (or to my DC) that would be the end of it forever.
Feels super good, for example, to also have JSR-HD on PC.

This is a game-preservation issue first and foremost, why is it so fucking hard to preserve games?

Q:

A:

BOOM! LET'S GO GUYS! TO $10 MILLION!

5jMRXuY.gif

Q:

A:

Sounds like the suggestion that Sony is funding most of this was pretty far off base. This campaign is more important than just gauging interest, it's crucial to the development of the final product

GavinGT

Banned
Q:

How was it working with mega64?

A:

It was really fun. I would love to do it again.
I hope they pitch in for the replica Ryo jacktet!

Top Bottom