• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

crinale

michael-jordan-laugh.gif
Oh my goodness.

Verendus

Banned
Wait, so no one else found those series of posts funny aside from me? I'm just saying, that's a lot of concern over a title which hasn't been announced.

From claiming Square Enix aren't that clever, even though they've done a pretty decent job, and then talking about what makes sense business wise, without actually knowing what goes into such decisions "business wise".

Dragon Quest XI could be releasing for 3DS/Vita/PS4/PS3, and in the future Xbox One.

I just don't understand. Since when did it become about the hardware, and not the games? I wasn't upset when I couldn't play Dragon Quest on my Sega Genesis. I just didn't play it on my SNES either. Oh snap.

I must be getting out of touch. It's the drugs. And puberty. It messes with the mind I guess.

Camwi

Awesome news. I want a new game in line with DQ8. It being on consoles means I get to enjoy the new game with much prettier graphics.

Kyoufu

Wait, so no one else found those series of posts funny aside from me? I'm just saying, that's a lot of concern over a title which hasn't been announced.

I was going to comment on them but it'd be like arguing with a brick wall. When there are those that are set in their beliefs and use the past as fact for the future it's pointless to debate. I'd rather just wait for announcements.

Vena

I was going to comment on them but it'd be like arguing with a brick wall. When there are those that are set in their beliefs and use the past as fact for the future it's pointless to debate. I'd rather just wait for announcements.

While being obstinate is certainly a valid criticism... evaluating based on the past is not. One should always take the past into consideration when looking forward.

Square has not given me reason to believe in them as of recent: mangled a their successes with Bravely, FFXV and KH3 are legendary for all the wrong reasons at this point, and they struck the FF brand with Lightning.
And they had a tone deaf E3 with sketches.
I'll believe in them when they actually produce something to believe in.

Kyoufu

While being obstinate is certainly a valid criticism... evaluating based on the past is not.

See, I don't disagree.

But when you know what's going to happen, it's difficult to discuss anything with somebody who just goes by what happened X years ago. Again, I totally understand why Pennywise83 thinks the way he does, so I'm not knocking him or the other Nintendo fans in MH threads, it's just hard to discuss anything.

Verendus

Banned
See, I don't disagree.

But when you know what's going to happen, it's difficult to discuss anything with somebody who just goes by what happened X years ago.
So how do you feel about DQXI not being on 3DS and only on Sony platforms as being unlikely?

Do you still feel the same way now that you know?

This... feels largely unnecessary.
I agree.

Which is why I edited it. I, too, feel there's a limit to jokes. They become hurtful if you overdo it.

Vena

See, I don't disagree.

But when you know what's going to happen, it's difficult to discuss anything with somebody who just goes by what happened X years ago.

Sure, I don't disagree and I understand the point you're making. Of course, consider the reverse where for an outsider, the things I listed after the fact are very much true and do not inspire confidence.

Redacted.

This... feels largely unnecessary.

From claiming Square Enix aren't that clever, even though they've done a pretty decent job, and then talking about what makes sense business wise, without actually knowing what goes into such decisions "business wise".

Dragon Quest XI could be releasing for 3DS/Vita/PS4/PS3, and in the future Xbox One.

I just don't understand. Since when did it become about the hardware, and not the games? I wasn't upset when I couldn't play Dragon Quest on my Sega Genesis. I just didn't play it on my SNES either. Oh snap.

I must be getting out of touch. It's the drugs. And puberty. It messes with the mind I guess.

Hes made his mind up and ain't going to change it so why bother replying? Most of all, whether DQ 11 is on consoles or not won't be decided by him so yeah lol, not point bothering with the dude that wants the franchise to stay stuck on handhelds and not progress after a decade.

I'm so excited as the prospect of buying this game for a console. Wii U/PS3/PS4 and whateverfuckingelse I'll buy a copy for each system and this is coming from a guy that primarily rents games. :p

Dark_castle

While being obstinate is certainly a valid criticism... evaluating based on the past is not. One should always take the past into consideration when looking forward.

Square has not given me reason to believe in them as of recent: mangled a their successes with Bravely, FFXV and KH3 are legendary for all the wrong reasons at this point, and they struck the FF brand with Lightning.

What is your opinion on FFXIV:ARR?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Verendus enter the thread, and that suddenly becomes alive again.

Maaan, you really know how to knack things off.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
But Busaiku said Final Fantasy is dead!

I don't know who to believe anymore.

Wait a second...wasn't Mario the one dead? Or are you telling me that they're both dead? OMG, the suspense, it's killing me!

How long can we keep on doing this, honestly? :lol

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The actual brand is "World of", oh ho ho. "World of FF" today, "World of Tales of the World: Reve Unitia" tomorrow!

*Mindblown*

Wait a second...wasn't Mario the one dead? Or are you telling me that they're both dead? OMG, the suspense, it's killing me!

How long can we keep on doing this, honestly? :lol

Until Mario and Final Fantasy officially dies, takes a phoenix down, and emerge anew and becomes a super zombiefied-brand: World of Final Mario: Lightning Edition!

salromano

Don't worry, I have a photo!

I wanna know.

Anyway, with Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Heroes II, and whatever this remake/remaster is (Dragon Quest V, I guess?) coming to PS4, I think Dragon Quest XI will be a PS4 game, at the very least.

KiTA

oh man, a multiplatform Dragon Quest XI would be the greatest thing, it's long overdue.

Especially since JP has discovered they can throw some middleware on their titles and release them on Steam for a few more sales.

Zanasea

Calling a series dead because you didn't like some of its numerous titles from a story arc that is now over and you are already judging games that are not released doesn't seem so reasonable though.

But apart from that, I wonder what is this whole debate is about. Horii said DQXI will be an offline JRPG for home consoles and that's about it.

Verendus

Banned
But apart from that, I wonder what is this whole debate is about. Horii said DQXI will be an offline JRPG for home consoles and that's about it.
The truth is, how can we even trust what he says? Horii might be saying this, but he could be a liar. They all lie. Sometimes unashamedly. The truth is, we just don't know. I see no reason why 3DS couldn't also get the title, if DQXI was actually coming to home consoles. We have to follow the money. What makes sense business wise is the only thing that matters, obviously. We have to wait for the announcement. That's when it'll be clear, and we can put this behind us once and for all.

And if I'm not around for the thread, my reaction is going to be like MJs anyway, so I'll be with you in spirit at least.

Edit:

This was originally from a French event. There you go. I don't trust the French.

The truth is, how can we even trust what he says? Horii might be saying this, but he could be a liar. They all lie. Sometimes unashamedly. The truth is, we just don't know. I see no reason why 3DS couldn't also get the title, if DQXI was actually coming to home consoles. We have to follow the money. What makes sense business wise is the only thing that matters, obviously. We have to wait for the announcement. That's when it'll be clear, and we can put this behind us once and for all.

And if I'm not around for the thread, my reaction is going to be like MJs anyway, so I'll be with you in spirit at least.

Edit:

This was originally from a French event. There you go. I don't trust the French.

I think I could see it going portable but not 3DS. If the game had been announced at TGS in 2014 for Fall 2015 it might be a different matter, but the 3DS is fairly dated now, especially as the benchmark for consoles are no longer the PS3/360 but likely to be the PS4/NX come 2017 or whenever it comes out. Mobile technology has been advancing as well, and will have likely made great strides again by then or the point at which a mobile port is seriously considered. Making it for 3DS is an invitation to all of the problems Type-0 had when moved to consoles. Its game-play, levels, scope, and battle system were all designed with a handheld in mind and scaled really poorly.

I see this as very similar to the decision making Western companies have had to go through about cross-gen titles. Superficially it makes sense; it opens up an enormous market. But in practice, it massively limits the scope of games, and makes development painful and expensive. We have a thread going on about Dragon Age Inquisition's future DLC being dropped from last-gen amidst references to the horror story that was cross-gen development in terms of cut features(and likely additional features that never made it in due to the duplication of developer effort).

If the feeling on Square's part is that they genuinely cannot produce a game that will stand the test of time in 2017, 2018, 2019, especially if they do want to port it to consoles/mobile/PC in the future, of the potential platforms, the 3DS is the one that needs to go as it is the factor that is going to limit DQXI in terms of future potential.

Will that decision cost them sales? Definitely. But in the long-run is having a game that can be released on Nintendo's next handheld, consoles, mobile and PC potentially more lucrative than a 2017 release on 2010 technology which genuinely will not work on other formats by that point in time? Maybe not.

Alo0oy

Banned

Edit:

So it's PS3/PS4. But will it release outside of Japan?

Arzehn

The posts you quoted are basically every media create thread in a nutshell, where every game should be on 3DS or NX and all 3rd parties under Sony's flag will jump ship once NX (handheld) comes out.

Alo0oy

Banned
The posts you quoted are basically every media create thread in a nutshell, where every game should be on 3DS or NX and all 3rd parties under Sony's flag will jump ship once NX (handheld) comes out.

Wow, I actually haven't been to media create threads since maybe March (I did check it out this week though), did it really get that bad?

Arzehn

Wow, I actually haven't been to media create threads since maybe March (I did check it out this week though), did it really get that bad?

Obviously it's not everyone but it is a reoccurring theme with some posters. There's still a lot of good analysis which has only gotten better.

Obviously it's not everyone but it is a reoccurring theme with some posters. There's still a lot of good analysis which has only gotten better.
Well, some years ago, the roles were rather switched, you know? And the "NX will make everything better" is annoying, mind you, i say this as a Nintendo fan, but the "Game X needs to be on PS4 for reasons" is just as annoying ... especially because many times the "reason" is "system of choice/favorite system". We should not blame people for that, as annoying as some things are.

I don't get it. Why is everyone quoting that Michael Jordan .gif in relation to the poster discussing the merits of releasing DQ11 on the 3DS? Honest question.

Snakeyes

I don't get it. Why is everyone quoting that Michael Jordan .gif in relation to the poster discussing the merits of releasing DQ11 on the 3DS? Honest question.

Because he's a Microsoft insider.

---

lol @ these posts clamoring for Kishimoto to take over the series' art after Toriyama. Among the mangaka who deserve to work on Dragon Quest, one man stands taller than everyone else;

yoshihiro-togashi-dragon-quest.jpg

only half joking, the man can draw some incredible stuff when he really puts his mind to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom