• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii reportedly announced DQ VII and VIII for the west at Japan Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it, I don't know how games like Project X Zone and J Stars Victory Vs make it overseas and DQ games don't. They're not hugely popular, but they sell far more than 95% of JRPG's that come to the west.

The way I see it, I don't know how games like Project X Zone and J Stars Victory Vs make it overseas and DQ games don't. They're not hugely popular, but they sell far more than 95% of JRPG's that come to the west.

Project X Zone exceeded expectations in the west despite a very barebones localization and J Stars Victory is a fighting game with a story mode and maybe 1/15th of the text of DQ7, charitably.

Not that I think they're right to leave DQ games in Japan, but those aren't good examples.

SE just seems to have insane expectations for their (handheld) games in the west that can never be met so they decide not to bother at all. Not sure how that works out for them, but maybe that'll change now.

KiTA

Bravely Default 1 sold well in Japan, yet Nintendo also had to publish and localize it.

And it sold better in the US. A lot better. That had to bring up some awkward questions for the people explaining to SE JP that the US doesn't like JRPGs anymore.

Bravely Default also outsold Lightning Returns, yet Nintendo will still be publishing 2. >_>

I imagine their original deal specified that Nintendo had the option to publish the sequel, which was already in the works at the time. So, I am not surprised that they took it.

KiTA

So, is the info in the thread title true or not?

Yes. Apparently SE is desperately backpedaling. There was also some confusion as they talked about DQ11 earlier, and during that event he said he was aware of the interest. Later, he supposedly let the cat out of the bag in front of a gaggle of witnesses.

I haven't played Bravely Default yet (the expose), so you guys can go check the credits on Youtube, I'm pretty sure Nintendo did not localize it, they probably just paid Square Enix to do it.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Apparently SE is desperately backpedaling. There was also some confusion as they talked about DQ11 earlier, and during that event he said he was aware of the interest. Later, he supposedly let the cat out of the bag in front of a gaggle of witnesses.

Well if it was never something totally planned, it definitely SHOULD be now. By the sounds of it, he did announce it early. Just by the reaction of the other guy, he said "it's not announced" not "it's not being planned" etc.

I try my best to interpret PR, and wording chosen can mean all the world of difference.

Too quiet the last day or so, looks like they're really laying low now and biding their time. I hope they don't think the wave of excitement and enthusiasm Horii caused with his statement is just going to blow over.

Too quiet the last day or so, looks like they're really laying low now and biding their time. I hope they don't think the wave of excitement and enthusiasm Horii caused with his statement is just going to blow over.

You probably won't hear anything for a while. However, someone mentioned these as possible upcoming venues where Square will be in attendance:

SDCC (July 9-12)
Otakon (July 24-26)
Gamescon (Aug 5-9)
Nintendo Direct (Aug?)

Project X Zone exceeded expectations in the west despite a very barebones localization and J Stars Victory is a fighting game with a story mode and maybe 1/15th of the text of DQ7, charitably.

Not that I think they're right to leave DQ games in Japan, but those aren't good examples.

Fantasy Life, Rune Factory, Legend of Heroes... There are plenty of Japanese not-so-mainstream games with a lot of text that were recently localized.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You probably won't hear anything for a while. However, someone mentioned these as possible upcoming venues where Square will be in attendance:

SDCC (July 9-12)
Otakon (July 24-26)
Gamescon (Aug 5-9)
Nintendo Direct (Aug?)

You didn't paste TGS to the end of that (Sept 17-20). TGS still has its announcements.

KiTA

The only western announcement we'd see at TGS would be them giving Japan an advance warning that they'd be allowing Western access to DQX. It won't happen.

Eusis

http://www.destructoid.com/reports-...6.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Square Enix is now officially refusing to comment.

That's... Different. Normally they'd downplay it or something, right?
They may also not want to say anything if they don't want their plans known yet. Which can come off as nuts, and well could be nuts in this specific circumstance, but maybe they haven't ironed all the details relevant to an announcement, or it is too far in advance to state that, or they're working on them but not 100% committed and Yuji Horii is either overly optimistic or just taking it for granted.

Hopefully it's code for "we'll talk about that later."

It's now or never.

RnVlcgO.gif

Joey Ravn

Banned
I remember them saying localization could happen if DQ Heroes sold well.
So yeah, it is all your fault! (I bought a copy)

If that is true, then it's an extremely stupid approach. Those games are on completely different platforms! I would buy DQVII the second it's announced for the West, but I don't have a PS4 or PS3, so why would I buy DQ Heroes?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I remember them saying localization could happen if DQ Heroes sold well.
So yeah, it is all your fault! (I bought a copy)

I'll buy it after the Day One Edition sells through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom