• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii reportedly announced DQ VII and VIII for the west at Japan Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

Why should people be excited for future games in a series when the last five games including remakes and spinoffs aren't brought over?

Because DQXI will likely look very pretty, and when people casually mention wanting to play DQ, the conversation always jumps to DQXI.

Arkeband

Banned
Wasn't the DQ7 remake kind of 'stripped down' and it got some mixed reception because of this?

I know the original DQ7 started off slow and was kind of an overwrought beast, but its complexity was part of its charm.

Aeana

Wasn't the DQ7 remake kind of 'stripped down' and it got some mixed reception because of this?

I know the original DQ7 started off slow and was kind of an overwrought beast, but its complexity was part of its charm.

Not at all. The intro is changed, and some people didn't like that, but you can thank all of the whiners over the years for that. They got what they wanted: a shorter intro before you get to the first battle.

Otherwise, it's a very good remake. The changes to the ability distribution and sharing work fine. My only complaint is that the visible enemies result in faster leveling than the original.

Bitanator

Otherwise, it's a very good remake. The changes to the ability distribution and sharing work fine. My only complaint is that the visible enemies result in faster leveling than the original.

Does the game still maintain balance because of this? I love when I was playing the game last month how slow you level and it keeps the challenge throughout the game. I welcome visible enemies, just hope it does not encourage over leveling, and if the case are the lvl caps in cetain areas for Job Exp. any different/raised because of it?

Kanann

It's balanced well and less less less grinding (Thanks god)

easier? maybe, because leveling and mastering jobs is much more faster.

Aeana

Does the game still maintain balance because of this? I love when I was playing the game last month how slow you level and it keeps the challenge throughout the game. I welcome visible enemies, just hope it does not encourage over leveling, and if the case are the lvl caps in cetain areas for Job Exp. any different/raised because of it?

The level caps are actually lower in general. The balance still works out okay as long as you don't spend a lot of time doing lithograph dungeons, though, since they reduced the number of battles you need to learn abilities, particularly for the basic classes.

If these really are coming over, it will be good to replay VII. Haven't played it since it originally came out as Dragon Warrior VII.

Japanese boxes:

81uGXGR9IBL.jpg
710EzFP2MnL.jpg

Hopefully they keep DQ8's box in NA and EU (if it really is being localized). Not sure if I like DQ7's though.

Japanese boxes:

Hopefully they keep DQ8's box in NA and EU (if it really is being localized). Not sure if I like DQ7's though.
The DQVIII box art is nice because it is an actual art illustration. DQVII's continued that trend of slapping around stock art over a generic background which started with the DS remakes.

Dingens

whatever the case, I'd imagine that the next nintendo direct will clear things up.
I feel like this unofficial announcement kinda forced their hand and I wouldn't be surprised if they sped up their plans and would be more willing to show a trailer/teaser sooner rather than later.

Arkeband

Banned
Japanese boxes:

I still love DQ7's bighead character designs. Needs more Maribel.

I'm still not sold on DQ8 3DS... but as a DQ collector it's basically an obligation to get it at this point, shitty graphics and all.

As far as the announcement being unexpected, the fact that it has people talking should indicate to S-E that it would be wise to ride this current wave of fanservice. When the shareholders are responding to fan hype, it's time to throw a bone toward your flagship series - they're the identity of your company, something that has been severely lacking for a while now.

Nah Healix needs to stay. I'm already way too attached

Maybe we can have guest appearances of other monsters. Or interviews.

Kandinsky

Hopefully this ends up being true, I need VIIr in my life and VIII as a bonus, even if it looks like shit D:

Still want X more than anything tho D:

Rocky

Banned
Hope they bring them over. DQ9 on DS is a game I can play over and over, it's so good.

Funny, I've replayed DQ I-VIII numerous times over the years, but I have no desire to ever play IX again. I thought it was the worst in the series.

Not at all. The intro is changed, and some people didn't like that, but you can thank all of the whiners over the years for that. They got what they wanted: a shorter intro before you get to the first battle.

Has good stuff been cut then? I gather from your tone you weren't overly enthused by the change.

Angelo am cry

Funny, I've replayed DQ I-VIII numerous times over the years, but I have no desire to ever play IX again. I thought it was the worst in the series.

Wouldn't call it the worst, buit yeah, it's far from the best DQ game.

The ironic thing is that the job system and battle system is pretty much the best it's ever been, which makes it all the more frustrating that the story and characterisation is so thin.

Comet

I would kill for these to come out in the West. I've already played VII for a good 40 hours but VIII I've never played.

rjc571

Banned
Lets be honest, even if this is true, it's probably not going to be for 3DS. They're probably going to port the 3DS versions of VII and VIII to PS4 and Xbone and uglify them with excessive bloom lighting and motion blur while refusing to release the original handheld version, just like they did with FF Type Zero.

Lets be honest, even if this is true, it's probably not going to be for 3DS. They're probably going to port the 3DS versions of VII and VIII to PS4 and Xbone and uglify them with excessive bloom lighting and motion blur while refusing to release the original handheld version, just like they did with FF Type Zero.

Huh if its going to be on XBone , its going to be on 3DS lol

Yup sure thing. DQ 7 and 8 on xbox one.

Grief.exe

3DS has a higher install base than the PS4 and XBO combined.

Arkeband

Banned

Same. Creating your whole party removed any semblance of personality from them. The closest the series came to this before was in DQ3, but at least your main character was the most iconic character in the series to offset the warm bodies following you around.

Same. Creating your whole party removed any semblance of personality from them. The closest the series came to this before was in DQ3, but at least your main character was the most iconic character in the series to offset the warm bodies following you around.

Most other main characters in the series are pretty bland anyway. I mean for every Torneko there's just mounds of uninteresting unmemorable characters. Most of the good parts of DQ stories are the town you visit and the themes/scenarios you see in these places.

Most other main characters in the series are pretty bland anyway. I mean for every Torneko there's just mounds of uninteresting unmemorable characters. Most of the good parts of DQ stories are the town you visit and the themes/scenarios you see in these places.

I dunno, my favourites (V & VIII) have pretty strong characters. Though with V you have to use party chat a LOT to get the full benefit

LaneDS

Gah, really hope this pans out, at least for DQVII. That port of VIII looks pretty foul, so I won't be upset if that never gets localized. VII though, man, been hoping for years now.

I dunno, my favourites (V & VIII) have pretty strong characters. Though with V you have to use party chat a LOT to get the full benefit

I didn't like viiis cast at all. But I don't play dq games for the party members, I just want them to look cool. The strength of dq comes in the towns.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

These companies are so depressing. They don't even know why they control all the information anymore. They just do it because that's the only thing they've been trained to do.

Being flexible according to your fanbase's needs? Fuck that noise.

These companies are so depressing. They don't even know why they control all the information anymore. They just do it because that's the only thing they've been trained to do.

Being flexible according to your fanbase's needs? Fuck that noise.

They're just propping up the stupid hype cycle.

Jackano

Can someone update me on that part of the story please?
I heard in the first reports the "translator" reaction was kinda surprising (upset?) because it was off-script, but I saw pics on twitter today and the translator in question is Grég Hellot. One of the few great gaming journalists here. I see no reason it would habe been "upset". Just saying?

Can someone update me on that part of the story please?
I heard in the first reports the "translator" reaction was kinda surprising (upset?) because it was off-script, but I saw pics on twitter today and the translator in question is Grég Hellot. One of the few great gaming journalists here. I see no reason it would habe been "upset". Just saying?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170946848&postcount=512

Famitsu has published their own story about the Square Enix showcase at Japan Expo: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/05082479.html

They have a better account of yesterday's announcement:
最後に、それぞれ感想を述べる中、堀井氏は「ひとつ発表をしたいと思います。『DQVII』、『DQVIII』のニンテンドー3DS版をフランスで出したいと思 います!」と、サプライズ発表! これには観客からも大きな喜びの声が挙がる! 一方、青海氏は「いやいや、正式発表はまだですから!」と慌てていたが? 正式 発表が待ち遠しい!

At the end of the DQ stage, Yuji Horii said "I want to announce one thing. I want to release Dragon Quest VII and VIII for 3DS in France!", to which DQ producer Ryota Aomi replied: "Wait! There is no official announcement yet!"

So it doesn't seem 100% certain at the moment but I guess Horii definitely wants to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom