• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Ehhh, no thanks. Nothing takes me out of the experience like seeing the dumb shit that people post on Miiverse in-game.

That's ok, a lot of games let you opt out of Miiverse stuff like that. I just hope they do something to make towns lively. If that means writing a good bit of dialogue for villagers, then do that.

Caelus

3zXFtKy.png

Looks like a different paraglider design? Looks like we can customize / upgrade the paraglider? So many options in this game... not to mention the samurai topknot and cool outfit he's got on.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
He hit a Bokoblin with an arrow, but since he was stealth the Bokoblin though it was th boar. It kills the boar while Jared focuses on the archer on the stand. Meanwhile, the now dead boar turns into steak, and the Bokoblin eats the steak and fills his HP bar back up.

Craziness!

That's incredible.

Aldric

Skyward Sword's soundtrack is probably the best OST in the series, even though OoT gave us like dozens of memorable little tunes.

Gate of Time and Fi's Theme (and all its variations) are GOAT Zelda tracks.

I agree. l don't like Skyward Sword but l though the OST was fantastic and highly underrated. The character is so unpopular it's not given the credit it deserves but Fi's theme is easily one of the best songs in the entire series.

ramparter

Banned
He hit a Bokoblin with an arrow, but since he was stealth the Bokoblin though it was th boar. It kills the boar while Jared focuses on the archer on the stand. Meanwhile, the now dead boar turns into steak, and the Bokoblin eats the steak and fills his HP bar back up.

Craziness!
Reminds of the Radiant AI stories of Oblivion back in 2005 - in the end it was nerfed a lot.

Banned
So here's ProJared playing the demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0i9OL96-E

He zooms out the map and actually starts scrolling up and you can see just how goddamn massive the map really is.

It's incredible.

And the map was zoomed in actually has a lot of details.

EDIT: Stamina upgrades also confirmed.

Craziness!
This game man. This fucking game.

Mortemis

Banned

Craziness!

got daaamn. this game won't cease to amaze

The depth applied to stuff like cooking, physics and items (like dropping wood and flint to make a fire) makes my imagination go wild with the possibilties. Here are some of them.

- Towns and shopping. Bartering? Helping build towns with Magnesis? Something like you pick up a plank of wood, lie them across a scaffold then POOF it turns into a house, simple but satisfying.

- Side quests that require you to use stasis, magnesis etc. Possibilities are infinite.

- We've seen rafts, but what's stopping us getting a proper boat? Even building it? As above there's a lot of water to the east.

- People have already speculated about getting a loftwing or something. A thought I had today: what if we just add propellers to the paraglider? Or some kind of Beedle-esque pedal chopper? Why stop there? Fucken technomancy-powered car?

you're getting it. With all the interaction we can do with the world, I really hope we have a good amount of interactive side quests that really push your involvement with the world. There's just so much things they could do with side quests, I hope they don't skimp out like a few past Zeldas.

Meesh

The depth applied to stuff like cooking, physics and items (like dropping wood and flint to make a fire) makes my imagination go wild with the possibilties. Here are some of them.

- Towns and shopping. Bartering? Helping build towns with Magnesis? Something like you pick up a plank of wood, lie them across a scaffold then POOF it turns into a house, simple but satisfying.

- Side quests that require you to use stasis, magnesis etc. Possibilities are infinite.

- We've seen rafts, but what's stopping us getting a proper boat? Even building it? As above there's a lot of water to the east.

- People have already speculated about getting a loftwing or something. A thought I had today: what if we just add propellers to the paraglider? Or some kind of Beedle-esque pedal chopper? Why stop there? Fucken technomancy-powered car?

Man, just reading this I had the strangest feeling we're on the threshold of a new gaming pop culture aesthetic, Sheikahpunk. Everything powered and designed around the Sheikah people's artistic/technological/supernatural(?) artifacts and structures. Could be a thing :)

oti

Banned
I love how Aonuma squashes all the "NO TOWNS" worries with a simple "of course it'll have towns, it's a Zelda game".

The breath of the wild seems to have been getting 100% of nintendos resources in game development time and money. they said over 100 temples, the map look huge and tons of stuff to do, towns maybe even larger city?

crafting is in the game? confirmed or just rumored ?

The hype is real and I just cant wait to play this beast of a game. Please dont disappoint.

Moments hunter

Neo Member
Jumping seemed to take off a good chunk in what I was watching. How you know there going to be stamina upgrades?

Stamina upgrades: watch ProJared video. He asked somebody about it and the response was yes.
Also in one of the Treehouse videos about hunting they cooked Stamina potion and mentioned there will be other types of potions - for attack, stamina and stealth... and resistance potions.

SomTervo

In each of my demos, I ran off in a completely different direction, and had a completely unique experience. Everyone I watched playing on the show floor had their own personalized experiences with the game. In this game, we truly will create our own Legend that is unlike that of anyone else. This is the true strength of the world that Nintendo seems to have crafted in this title, no two playthroughs will ever be the same.

It already feels like this game is going to be incredible fodder for Let's Plays and Streams, as there promises to be so many distinct gameplay scenarios waiting for people to discover at their own speed. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this game. It's maybe the most ambitious thing Nintendo has ever done.

When you put it this way, I think the only game to rival this 'endless unique experience' aspect in the near future will be No Man's Sky. Specifically the bolded. Obviously NMS's mechanics aren't as fluid as Zelda: BotW's, but in terms of there being countless unique scenarios and many approaches to each – along with oober sharable unique content – there's a parallel there. Like Streamers/fans will be sharing endless new planets from NMS, and with Zelda they'll be sharing endless unique ways to tackle puzzles, encounters and dungeons (as well as all the secrets no-doubt hidden in the game).

The adventures offered by videogaming today are becoming next-level, guys. Absolutely next-level.

Falcs

Banned
Just watched a video where someone is straight up climbing the wall of the Temple of Time...

Really?? So Link is Peter Parker now??

I mean, I like how open and free this game looks, but I thinks that's just too much. It's too much freedom. There doesn't seem to be any boundaries at all. You can spiderman your way up anything!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched a video where someone is straight up climbing the wall of the Temple of Time...

I mean, I like how open and free this game looks, but I thinks that's just too much. It's too much freedom. There doesn't seem to be any boundaries at all. You can spiderman your way up anything!

You can't, there are unclimbable walls already in one of the first mini-dungeons.

So after seeing some of BotW and Aonuma's comments here is my fanfictiony theory:

Game takes place a hundred years after OOT in the Fallen Link timeline. This game is meant to parallel WW and TP. After Link fails, the Sheikah army attacks. Zelda and the sages escape and they somehow get Link to a restoration pod. The Sheikah robot army battles against Ganon and his forces. However, Ganon has the entire triforce so he is unstoppable and becomes Calamity Ganon (essentially as powerful as Demise). The sea levels begin to rise like what happened in WW. Zelda and the seven sages seal Ganon in Hyrule Castle and Zelda enters a 1000 year slumber like Hylia and SS Zelda did to contain Demise. The sea levels then began to recede after Ganon was contained. OoT Zelda is the "first Zelda" that was asleep for a long time in a hidden tower in Zelda 2. The Old Man is actually Zelda's brother referred to in Zelda 2 as well. He betrayed Zelda to Ganon and felt a lot of guilt and shame for his actions that haunted him the rest of his life. Due to his guilt, he abandoned his identity and royal bloodline and he is now a spirit that wanders Hyrule until his sister is awakened. Sheik does return in the game and she is Zelda as well. However, this Zelda is the great granddaughter of the prince and the first female of his descendants. It would explain the backstory of how there was that Zelda that was asleep for a long time in Zelda 2, in addition to the other Zelda in the original. Ocarina of Time will be the musical instrument for the game. The Great Plateau is where castle town used to be. If you pay attention to the wall structure along the perimeter, the exact same temple of time, and general proximity to Hyrule Castle, I'd say signs point to this being Castle Town from OoT. The Koroks are likely related to some sidequests where you get some sort of reward from the Deku Tree for finding and sending the Koroks on their way back home. Kokiri just evolve into Koroks in response to a post-Apocalyptic Hyrule. Zora survived since they are in ALTTP and ALBW. Gorons could've moved to a different mountain range. There are 8 towns and they are named after the 8 OoT sages since those sages helped save the world and it'd be a callback to Zelda 2.

PtM

Banned

Only fair since Spidey has gone Sony exclusive.

as already mentioned above, walls that cant be climbed. You also have a stamina meter so you cant just climb and climb. Guess we can upgrade the stamina as we progress the game. Walls that you couldnt climb early on is climbable later on when you have more stamina.

SomTervo

as already mentioned above, walls that cant be climbed. You also have a stamina meter so you cant just climb and climb. Guess we can upgrade the stamina as we progress the game. Walls that you couldnt climb early on is climbable later on when you have more stamina.

I love how much they took this 1:1 from Shadow of the Colossus.

Zelda > Shadow of the Colossus > Zelda

Zips

The Temple of Time area is definitely the remains of Ocarina's Castle Town. Aside from the clear similarity of the temple itself, you can see the same layout of parts of the town in the ruins as they walk around the area in the videos. There's the path from the temple to the town square, where you see the central fountain's remains. Hyrule castle (or whatever it is now) isn't as close to the remains as in Ocarina, but there was always a field between the castle and town, which would of course be bigger now that the map is so much larger.

None of the videos I've seen have gotten a good look at the area that they note looks to have old banners flying in the wind, so I'm not sure where it was exactly positionally, but I imagine during the game we'll find out about the battle that was waged there, and possibly see a cutscene showing the army that was there. If there's a video that has a closer look at the banners it could probably be determined, but until then I assume them to be banners of Ganon's army from when it lay siege to Hyrule Castle and/or Castle Town.

I forget which timeline is which, but so far it would appear that Link lost against Ganon and was put into stasis to heal and/or be revived. I will guess that the land was not flooded though, because Link was still technically alive, and Ganon was imprisoned in Hyrule Castle - presumably by Zelda/the Sages. The hardest part to fit in all this I think is the Sheikah technology, as we've never seen the Sheikah on such a scale before, either in technology or numbers. The Guardian remains might be relics of the imprisoning war, and the whole game might be an expansion of what little we knew about that war, like someone else theorized. The technology is clearly Sheikah, and the positioning of their remains seems like they were attacking Hyrule Castle/Castle Town after it had been conquered by Ganon. So I will guess that they were part of a counterattack by the forces of Hyrule under Zelda, holding Ganon and his forces back long enough to set up the barrier. I liked the idea someone posted that the Guardians attack Link because they are set to hone in on and attack anyone who has part of the Triforce. Zelda presumably lost her piece to Ganon, but Link might still have his.

The old man will probably turn out to be one of the sages, like there was an old man/sage in Ocarina. He is possibly the last sage still living, or just the one that was left to watch over the area, the seal on the castle, and Link's revival. If he is the last one, that could also be used to talk about how the seal on the castle and ganon's powers is weakening/almost gone.

The main dungeons could be places again where Link rescues other sages that have been captured by Ganon's forces, which fought to destroy the barrier, or instead (especially if the rumoured lower number of dungeons is true) might be Link obtaining artifacts that were used to create the barrier, and help contain Ganon's power to a more easily beaten state. If you are able to go and fight Ganon right from the start, then it might be like a Lavos situation where he is overwhelming yet some experienced players might be able to beat him, at least after figuring out the game. There might be different endings too, based on how much you have completed: straight to the end with no or incomplete numbers of the dungeons finished, and Ganon is weakened and possibly ejected from the castle but not banished; complete all the dungeons etc. first, and the ending is Ganon getting banished to the Sacred Realm.

Other than storyline theorizing, it'll be interesting to see how many Ocarina of Time locations are identifiable. I can't find it now, but I swear I saw a brief clip of the desert-y canyon area that looked like the old Gerudo fortress with windows/buildings built into a cliff face. Edit: Actually - maybe it was that shot seen above where Link has the samurai outfit and hair. People seem to focus on him in the picture, but you can see the buildings in the cliff face in the background.

Probably old news, but anyone notice the skull-shaped lake in the upper right part of the map?

Excited to explore the whole thing! 9 months...ugh.

I wish nintendo would just be a content company and make games for ps4/pc/xbox

Nintendo likes money.

People always say they really like Nintendo's games, but that they don't want to pay for them.

Reality is, if Nintendo's games were really that good, they'd be valuable enough to pay the asking price for.
crafting is in the game? confirmed or just rumored ?

There is ore in this game, and several ore descriptions mention imbuing weapons with certain attributes.

saskuatch

Nintendo likes money.

People always say they really like Nintendo's games, but that they don't want to pay for them.

Reality is, if Nintendo's games were really that good, they'd be valuable enough to pay the asking price for.

There is ore in this game, and several ore descriptions mention imbuing weapons with certain attributes.

Lol I have enough money to buy 100 NX and not think twice, what I mean is Nintendos consoles are always stuck in the technological stone age.............

NICE! this game keeps getting better and better.

I didnt buy the Wii U, found the Wii to be fun the first couple of months then it just started gathering dust. I have given up on Nintendo until now, I will get the NX for this game, and if its the only NX game I will buy then so be it.

Lol I have enough money to buy 100 NX and not think twice, what I mean is Nintendos consoles are always stuck in the technological stone age.............

...and? If the games are quality games, they're quality games. They don't magically become more quality if they're on cutting edge hardware; that's all up to the design of the game.

saskuatch

...and? If the games are quality games, they're quality games. They don't magically become more quality if they're on cutting edge hardware; that's all up to the design of the game.

uhhh yeh, but after playing the witcher 3 in 4K on PC and looking at games like god of war or horizon zero dawn its jarring.

Zelda looks like a fantastic game but the low resolution and the pop in were horrible, like some objects only meters away before they popped into the screen. I just hope the NX version is a native 1080.

Top Bottom