• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley on PS4 is unplayable?

Codiox

My buddy and me got it today and we both got crashed while sleeping and saving from day 3 to day 4. We can't get past day 3. The PS4 always crashes.

Anybody else?

Edit:

Anybody who got the game please try this:

Start a new game, skip intro and go sleeping until day 4. Then from 3 to day 4 it should crash. My buddy and me can reproduce this crash 100% of the time.

Edit2:

Okay I finally got it. When your system language is on german and you play the US version of the game it crashes. I turned the system language to english and now it works.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Was just about to buy this. Need confirmation.

Fliesen

I find the controller support horrible, just as bad as the escapists or even worse with a controller...

On PC, i felt like using your tools (combat, mining, watering) had a controler-focused control scheme, while placing items, and especially inventory management would seem to be much more of a hassle when you don't have a mouse cursor.

Especially in a game where every second spent on inventory management is a second of the day lost you could be doing other stuff.

I'm still planning on getting SV on PS4 - for remote play on vita alone ... :/

lome88

I have this game on PC and was wondering if Concerned Ape did any retooling of the controller mapping. I remember, at some point, that he talked about it but haven't seen any real updates since then.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Controller support on PC was abysmal too, don't have high hopes for it on PS4.

Game is an absolute must play either way though, so I hope these issues get resolved.

Nintendad

So you can move your character just fine with the controller and using tools is fine as well. You just press R2/L2 in order to change objects. Now the menus and moving items is another thing. You use the right analog stick to move around a cursor on screen. It feels kinda clunky, but I've already gotten used to it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn I was excited for this. Guess I'll wait for a patch or two to hopefully fix the bugs and hopefully improve the controller support.

Zero315

Banned
I didn't skip the intro and haven't had a crash. Did you and your friend try not skipping the intro?

Same. Didn't skip the intro, on day 7 now. No crashes so far, playing on a Pro.

Controller support feels the same as it did on PC. Not great, but you get used to it.

Tagyhag

The console support was pretty mediocre on the PC version as well, the keyboard controls were much better. I was hoping he would have tinkered more with it since it was getting an actual console release.

As for the crashing, maybe it's just a bad bug? I'm sure it'll get fixed soon if it's rampant.

Tobor

On PC, i felt like using your tools (combat, mining, watering) had a controler-focused control scheme, while placing items, and especially inventory management would seem to be much more of a hassle when you don't have a mouse cursor.

Especially in a game where every second spent on inventory management is a second of the day lost you could be doing other stuff.

I'm still planning on getting SV on PS4 - for remote play on vita alone ... :/

😳 This is the deal breaker for me, not the controls. I hate feeling rushed and pressured in games like this. I was hoping the time mechanics were relaxed or optional compared to Harvest Moon.

SuperPac

My buddy and me got it today and we both got crashed while sleeping and saving from day 3 to day 4. We can't get past day 3. The PS4 always crashes.

Anybody else?

Edit:

Anybody who got the game please try this:

Start a new game, skip intro and go sleeping until day 4. Then from 3 to day 4 it should crash. My buddy and me can reproduce this crash 100% of the time.

I'm sure the crash is what you described but - what happens if you don't skip the intro and don't sleep until day 4? You know, because a normal user probably wouldn't do that?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
😳 This is the deal breaker for me, not the controls. I hate feeling rushed and pressured in games like this. I was hoping the time mechanics were relaxed or optional compared to Harvest Moon.

There is absolutely 0 in the game that's time sensitive. You can take as many in-game months or years to do things as you want.

It's true time is always moving, but it's very much a relaxing game you can spend doing whatever you like. Spend weeks or months fishing, tracking the villager's schedules, exploring the mine, etc - there's no wrong way.

There's one big event that happens a long while into the game (trying to be as vague as possible) that it's good to prepare for, but there's an in-game way to trigger it as many times as you want, if you weren't fully prepared.

FHIZ

https://streamable.com/6545

Here's a hot vid of me sleeping days on end and not getting that glitch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Try deleting and re installing or restoring licenses or something, OP.

Maybe it's a region thing? I downloaded from the US store. Or a PS4 Vanilla/Pro thing? I tested it out on my regular PS4 upstairs, haven't tried the Pro yet.

Fliesen

to be fair, your time's not all that limited, but i feel like - if bad controls made watering, hoe-ing, harvesting and re-seeding your fields take noticeably longer, you'll make far less progress throughout the year.

Gator86

Bad controller support and crashes. Welcome to the Plus waiting list. With how packed this holiday season is, the margin for error is nil with my purchases.

Codiox

So it sounds like this is an isolated incident then? The game is broken for "a person" as opposed to all people?

My buddy and me got the problem. We tried a fresh install, rebooting ps4, tried different start settings.

It always crashes...

We both got it from the US store, but playing in Germany.

depths20XX

Time doesn't move when you're looking at you inventory...

Top Bottom