• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley on PS4 is unplayable?

atmuh

bought this game for my wife that doesn't play many games and she's logged over 20 hours since last Sunday. no issues at all

Damn.

High hopes that the touch screen on the Switch version will turn it all around.

Anyone claiming the controller support is a deal breaker is being hyperbolic and ridiculous. It wasn't even what this thread was about.

And I highly doubt adding a touch screen would improve the experience to any great degree beyond menu navigation.

I really want to try this game out but I am kind of intimidated by it. The worst part of Animal Crossing was the harsh penalty for not playing every single day, in real time. Is it the same structure? I have heard this game is a little more laid back than AC but I am not sure what is meant by 'laid back.'

It just looks amazing and literally not one person I have talked to who has played it disliked it. I am just wondering how the game will appeal to a newcomer to the farming simulators.

Does this still absolutely destroy PS4 Pro consoles? It forced me to hard reset my console every time I played it and now my Pro never shuts off properly (regardless of if I played the game or not). Tons of people having a similar issue as well.

atmuh

I really want to try this game out but I am kind of intimidated by it. The worst part of Animal Crossing was the harsh penalty for not playing every single day, in real time. Is it the same structure? I have heard this game is a little more laid back than AC but I am not sure what is meant by 'laid back.'

It just looks amazing and literally not one person I have talked to who has played it disliked it. I am just wondering how the game will appeal to a newcomer to the farming simulators.

It doesn't use a real time clock like AC. the game doesn't play when you aren't there, so there's no pressure of HAVING to play at any particular time. Besides my wife I know a few other people that are playing this that have never played any farming sim before and they absolutely love it. Do yourself a favor and give it a try.

Anyone claiming the controller support is a deal breaker is being hyperbolic and ridiculous. It wasn't even what this thread was about.

And I highly doubt adding a touch screen would improve the experience to any great degree beyond menu navigation.

I am absolutely shocked at the amount of misinformation going around in this thread. The controller support is fine. Managing inventory is a little wonky, but the game pauses when you're in the inventory screen so there is no wasted time. The actually farming controls are good. I've not had one crash in the 40 hours I've played so it is not a big issue. One person mentions that the controls are bad when they aren't, another mentions that managing your inventory wastes time when the game pauses when you are in your inventory and one person had an obscure bug that 99.99 percent of the player population wont run into. Next thing I read is a dozen posts basing their purchasing decision on poor information.

The game is great on PC or PS4 and we'll worth 15 dollars. The farming controls are good, the inventory controls are kind of weird but adaptable and the game does not have any major crashing issues.

Sorry if this been asked before but is this getting physical release?

Also i read today on Reddit Stardewvalley subreddit the dev made over $30 Million for this game impressive!
https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...ew_valleys_single_developer_has_made_over_30/

Looking forward to the multiplayer addition too :)
Wow, great news for the developer, he did fantastic work for a project made entirely on his own.
The game itself is pretty great, very addicting. I've put about 10 hours into it so far and can't get enough.

WoolyNinja

It's funny how a thread started because the game literally wouldn't start has turned into a 'are the controls fixed' thread.

B-Dex

Still no PS4 Pro patch. Exiting to the menu and completely shutting off the PS4 will let you run other games. But how this passed cert when it's actually doing something at an OS level messing with hardware is insane honestly.

Still no PS4 Pro patch. Exiting to the menu and completely shutting off the PS4 will let you run other games. But how this passed cert when it's actually doing something at an OS level messing with hardware is insane honestly.

It genuinely has done damage to my system. Ever since I had to do hard resets from this game, my PS4 has had issues doing a full shutdown or successfully going into rest mode. It should be removed from the store for Pro owners until this is fixed.

StereoVsn

It genuinely has done damage to my system. Ever since I had to do hard resets from this game, my PS4 has had issues doing a full shutdown or successfully going into rest mode. It should be removed from the store for Pro owners until this is fixed.
This also calls into question Sony's acceptance process. I thought they did test to ensure that a game can't damage the system?

For your Pro, you may need to reload the OS, i.e. Nuke from Orbit.

Azriell

After the terrible Darkest Dungeon PS4 UI/controls, I'm a little hesitant to pick this up. I guess I'll wait for a sale just to be safe.

PepperedHam

The Pro problem is eating away at me inside. I've been dying to play this with my sister and knowing the issues with it have no ETA :(

Doesn't bode well either when they aren't able to replicate it on their end or state that it isn't happening to all Pros. Kind of hard pressed to go anywhere and not find at least one person in the conversation who is having the rest mode/app launch issues with the Pro version. Shit, man.

This also calls into question Sony's acceptance process. I thought they did test to ensure that a game can't damage the system?

For your Pro, you may need to reload the OS, i.e. Nuke from Orbit.

Yeah I don't blame the dev at all. The game is great and I'm sure the port was done by a very small team. I blame Sony's QA 100%. Hopefully it all gets sorted out because the game is awesome and I really want to play it again.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I find the controller support horrible, just as bad as the escapists or even worse with a controller...

Is it different than on Steam? I've been playing there with my Xbox One Elite controller and have had Zero issues. Only time I've need the keyboard was to type a name for my cat. Haven't need the mouse at all yet.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Uhm...The game plays great with a controller.

I wouldn't say "great".. it's passable. There's certain things that have NO need to use a freaking cursor, when it could just use snap and d-pad.

Things that should be simple, take longer because of it. It's just such a basic thing.

McFadge

Count me in for PS4 Pro concerns. I put some time into this on my PS4, got a Pro but am scared to continue given the reports. Hope it gets fixed up too. I saw some talk online that Doom had similar issues on the Pro?

Was thinking of picking this up today. Can't find any new impressions after this patch dropped in mid December. Did it fix or at least help the controls?

http://stardewvalley.net/upcoming-xbox-and-ps4-patch/

It says at the top that this patch is now live, idk if there has been a newer patch or not. I want to pick this up but all the control complaints are making me hold off.
I always thought controls were fine. My issues with the game were that it screwed up rest mode (at least on the Pro) and that some of the UI got clipped off the edge of the screen. The HUD stuff got fixed, not sure about the rest mode issue.

dubq

I wouldn't say "great".. it's passable. There's certain things that have NO need to use a freaking cursor, when it could just use snap and d-pad.

Things that should be simple, take longer because of it. It's just such a basic thing.

The cursor is so simple to use, I don't see the issue.

Azriell

Holy shit, read the thread. The controls are fine.

I did read the thread. The first page has numerous people complaining about the controls while the second has people saying they're fine. Is trying he first group overreacting? Is the second group full of apologists? I don't know, but Darkest Dungeon showed me how inept some indie devs can be at putting together a reasonable controller config. With multiple people complaining, why wouldn't one err on the side of caution?

NervousXtian said:

Things that should be simple, take longer because of it. It's just such a basic thing
This kind of level feedback is far more informative. Thank you.

I was worried about this too but it doesnt use a real time clock. Laid back meaning that there aren't penalties like you mentioned in AC for not being OCD about playing it constantly. I usually spend about 15-20 real time minutes per in-game day before I go to "Sleep" which saves the game. There are 4 "months" in the game which correspond to the seasons so very much unlike AC, you can go through and see all of the seasons in short time so if you miss something the first time around, it wont be too long until you can get back in.

And just so you know, I tried playing Harvest moon on the SNES back in the day and didn't like it back then. I bought stardew before christmas not knowing anything about these kinds of games(except like animal crossing) and I absolutely love it. Makes me think I missed out majorly on Harvest moon games. Its very simple and its easy to learn to play as it gives you stuff to do steadily. Theres also a lot of other things you can do other than farming like fishing, exploring the mines, and collecting artifacts to donate to the museum, and also all of the villager interactions.

Pick it up!

For anyone wondering, the game controls very well with a controller. You have to occasionally use the cursor, but it's not that frequent and it's never used for something complex. Really not an issue at all.

I wouldn't say unplayable but the time it takes to save from day to day when you sleep bothers me too much so I stopped playing it. I'll replay on pc eventually

I did read the thread. The first page has numerous people complaining about the controls while the second has people saying they're fine. Is trying he first group overreacting? Is the second group full of apologists? I don't know, but Darkest Dungeon showed me how inept some indie devs can be at putting together a reasonable controller config. With multiple people complaining, why wouldn't one err on the side of caution?

The controls on the PS4/Xbox One are the same as the gamepad support on PC, which is to say that it's not that great. You can play it but it's kind of maddening how ill advised some of their decisions cramming obvious mouse and keyboard driven menus onto the controller. It feels awkward at best.

Our 11 year old stopped playing the PS4 version all together and went back to the Steam one simply because the controls weren't very good.

Started playing this a couple days ago, had to delete this for my own safety. Its so good, but its way to easy to lose track of time. I'll go back to it when i have more free time :')

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone wondering, the game controls very well with a controller. You have to occasionally use the cursor, but it's not that frequent and it's never used for something complex. Really not an issue at all.

People are bothered by having to use a cursor? Even console only games like Destiny have a cursor.

hampig

I hated using a cursor when the game first came out using a PC with a 360 controller.

They made some small tweaks and honestly it doesn't bother me anymore.

Controller support is fine. I tried playing it with my 360 controller on PC. I prefer KBM but that is true for pretty much every game, including some games people vastly use controller for over KBM. But controller support was fine. Not perfect, but fine.

Gator86

Yup, I had to uninstall it completely. It never should have passed cert and should be delisted from PSN until it is fixed. Everyone involved should be ashamed.

starcon2.gif

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
People are bothered by having to use a cursor? Even console only games like Destiny have a cursor.

Yeah and it was bad and stupid there too. Cursors are for a mouse not a controller.

Didn anyone think it was necessary for destiny at all?

The cursor is so simple to use, I don't see the issue.

It's not that it's not simple, it's just bad design. It doesn't make the game better.. At all.
It's clunky and takes longer to do easy things like buying shit.

StereoVsn

Yeah I don't blame the dev at all. The game is great and I'm sure the port was done by a very small team. I blame Sony's QA 100%. Hopefully it all gets sorted out because the game is awesome and I really want to play it again.
What, no, I absolutely blame the Devs. What kind of anexcuse is this? We are talking about potential damage to the console. Developer should have tested the game on the Pro.

However I do blame Sony as well for letting this shit slip through QA.

Top Bottom