• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley on PS4 is unplayable?

I don't see how you could get anything done in a reasonable amount of time with a controller, I couldn't imagine playing this game with one.

Played it on PC for many, many hours using a controller. I think the suggestion that you can't get things done with a controller says more about obsessive players than it does about successful my engaging with the game's mechanics.

Played it on PC for many, many hours using a controller. I think the suggestion that you can't get things done with a controller says more about obsessive players than it does about successful my engaging with the game's mechanics.

It just felt really slow sometimes even on a mouse and keyboard, it's one of those games that your brain is moving faster than the game lets you, and a controller just seems like it would make that even worse.

It sounds like you should be communicating with the dev, not NeoGAF.

No doubt GAF is going to be a lot more responsive than the dev. Nothing wrong with checking in, though perhaps it could have been done in a less inflammatory way.

It just felt really slow sometimes even on a mouse and keyboard, it's one of those games that your brain is moving faster than the game lets you, and a controller just seems like it would make that even worse.

No doubt the controller support could have been better, but it really never got in the way of playing. Like any control scheme, you get used to it and know what it will do. Perhaps using a mouse and keyboard could up your APMs, but the game doesn't demand that kind intensity. In a lot of ways, I think the game is about balancing your in game actions with your brain's ability to find the best possible path, but a controller isn't going to hamper you from doing that.

My buddy and me got the problem. We tried a fresh install, rebooting ps4, tried different start settings.

It always crashes...

We both got it from the US store, but playing in Germany.

Try play it on your US account. Sounds like your region is the only unique thing in your situation.

Kiyo

Back when I was playing on PC when the game originally launched, there was a bug where you could get a "bugged" item that would crash the game and wouldn't let you progress to the next day. It was very rare and the solution was to just go through your item stacks one by one and drop/delete them until you figured it out which item was causing the crashes. I'm not sure if this is related at all but its worth a shot.

Codiox

I don't even have the game, but I had a similar issue in the past. Is your PS4 in German? If so, try changing the console language to English and see if it helps.

Will try that, thanks! Yes it's in German.

I also tried playing with my US account.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It sounds like you should be communicating with the dev, not NeoGAF.

Nope. Neogaf came through.

I don't even have the game, but I had a similar issue in the past. Is your PS4 in German? If so, try changing the console language to English and see if it helps.

What the hell???

When I turn my system language to english it worked!!

Awesome.
Someone should make the dev aware too.

Juice

FWIW I put 180 hours into this thing on PC/Mac with a Steam controller and after trying KB/M I preferred it

totowhoa

Banned
Welcome to the wonderful world of bug testing. No doubt someone totally missed this test case, because frankly, why would you think it mattered?

Yep. I've literally spent the last 7 hours working through a spreadsheet of bug testing scenarios for a software update.

You never manage to think of them all.

As somebody about to buy this game and play in English tonight, glad to know this won't affect me :)

Dinjooh

What the hell???

When I turn my system language to english it worked!!

Sounds like some of the playtesting we've been doing recently as well. Generally bugs with a lot of variables are hard to iron out for small teams since they require a lot of time to test thoroughly.

Make sure to report the bug btw, their qa will be happy.

FDC1

Again? It's the 3rd game in a few weeks with the same problem. Don't people test their game anymore?

No doubt GAF is going to be a lot more responsive than the dev. Nothing wrong with checking in, though perhaps it could have been done in a less inflammatory way.

No doubt the controller support could have been better, but it really never got in the way of playing. Like any control scheme, you get used to it and know what it will do. Perhaps using a mouse and keyboard could up your APMs, but the game doesn't demand that kind intensity. In a lot of ways, I think the game is about balancing your in game actions with your brain's ability to find the best possible path, but a controller isn't going to hamper you from doing that.

Yo these artichokes need to get out the ground, winter is coming and I'm broke! Any advantage I can get I'll take!

baconcow

Gamepad support with the Steam Controller was excellent. However, it took a few hours to get used to it. I never tried any other method of control, when I played.

LOLCats

Banned
Ahh a happy ending. Very nice.

holiday wreath? Yes holiday wreath.

inos_build_on_brick_wreath.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
On PC, i felt like using your tools (combat, mining, watering) had a controler-focused control scheme, while placing items, and especially inventory management would seem to be much more of a hassle when you don't have a mouse cursor.

Especially in a game where every second spent on inventory management is a second of the day lost you could be doing other stuff.

This sank the game for me on PC and it looks like it'll cost them my PS4 purchase, too. It really shouldn't be that tough to get this game working properly with a controller. Harvest Moon has managed it for thirty years.

forms

This sank the game for me on PC and it looks like it'll cost them my PS4 purchase, too. It really shouldn't be that tough to get this game working properly with a controller. Harvest Moon has managed it for thirty years.

Also refraining until I see a proper scheme. I wonder how many testers have given this feedback?

Mista Koo

It's quite clear to me that the game wasn't designed with the controller in mind. While it's baffling that the UI isn't controller friendly, the thing that made me switch to the mouse is the ability to individually target the 8 surrounding tiles as opposed to the 4 directions.

Especially in a game where every second spent on inventory management is a second of the day lost you could be doing other stuff.
😳 This is the deal breaker for me, not the controls. I hate feeling rushed and pressured in games like this. I was hoping the time mechanics were relaxed or optional compared to Harvest Moon.
Time pretty much stops whenever you have menus open. Only seasonal stuff are time restricted (e.g. your spring crops will die by summer).

SV is a farming game with resource management. It has season/year cycles (each in-game day is roughly 15 real life minutes, a season is 28 days).
It has a bit of Animal Crossing (social stuff/vibes) and Minecraft (inventory management/crafting) in it.

Dunkley

They didn't improve the controller support over the PC version? So placing down items, selecting an empty slot in your hotbar and buying items in bulk is still as inconvenient, or for the last, impossible on a controller still?

�� This is the deal breaker for me, not the controls. I hate feeling rushed and pressured in games like this. I was hoping the time mechanics were relaxed or optional compared to Harvest Moon.

It's mostly that the day eventually ends and you pass out. The same happens in Harvest Moon short of A Wonderful Life. Time doesn't progress while you are paused so it's not like you are losing a lot of time, and while there is an evaluation you can get at the end of Year 3, the game does go on infinitely, and you can complete the bundles/reevaluate your farm anytime. I haven't personally played beyond Year 5, but I've seen people on YouTube be at Year 41 at this point so you can definitely play forever.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
How bad are the controls? Couple friends and I are considering buying but heard bad things about the PC version.

GHG

Gold Member
I played about 3 hours today and personally don't understand the complaints with the controls. I find them pretty intuitive.

But that's just me.

JP

Again? It's the 3rd game in a few weeks with the same problem. Don't people test their game anymore?
Sorry for raising a point that others already have and this isn't targeted at you specifically but there does seem to be a lot of misunderstanding out there about testing games.

I do understand your presumption but you can only simulate a game being out in the real world in the hands of real people to an incredibly limited extent in a studio environment. At some point you just have to have faith in the testing that you've done and let it out in the wild where you know 100% that of all the billions of variables that are available within that code, somebody somewhere is surely going to initiate one that you've just not been able to simulate at any point.

It's far from ideal but there really isn't a perfect way of dealing with so many variables, hopefully things don't go wrong with games but good post launch support is also incredibly valuable in games.

anddo0

So yeah, this needs a patch bad... I have a Pro and it breaks sleep mode, and prevents me from launching other games after quitting from the main title screen. I usually restart the PS4; which takes longer than usual because of the bug or whatever it is that's causing this... Restarting gets things back to normal.

I'm stepping away for now. I lucked out and got it for $10 or so, thanks to 20% off Sony email code. So, not too much lost, assuming it's cross-buy whenever the Vita version comes out, or they fix the current issues. I'm thinking about getting the PC version in the meantime.

Raven77

Was thinking of picking this up today. Can't find any new impressions after this patch dropped in mid December. Did it fix or at least help the controls?

http://stardewvalley.net/upcoming-xbox-and-ps4-patch/

It says at the top that this patch is now live, idk if there has been a newer patch or not. I want to pick this up but all the control complaints are making me hold off.

Was thinking of picking this up today. Can't find any new impressions after this patch dropped in mid December. Did it fix or at least help the controls?

http://stardewvalley.net/upcoming-xbox-and-ps4-patch/

It says at the top that this patch is now live, idk if there has been a newer patch or not. I want to pick this up but all the control complaints are making me hold off.

I dont think the controls have changed since i got it on dec 16th. I dont really get the complaints other than the cursor and sometimes placing objects in the house. Controls are fine imo.

njs15

The controls are honestly fine. I only put like 5 hours into the PC version but I'm 40 hours in since PS4 launch because its just more convenient to play on console for me.

Haven't had a single issue in that time, but regardless you shouldn't let what some people *might* find annoying keep you from playing the game. It's amazing.

TheKeyPit

Banned
The controls are honestly fine. I only put like 5 hours into the PC version but I'm 40 hours in since PS4 launch because its just more convenient to play on console for me.

Haven't had a single issue in that time, but regardless you shouldn't let what some people *might* find annoying keep you from playing the game. It's amazing.

Yeah, Stardew Valley controller controls are as bad as the combat in The Witcher 3.
Totally fine, lol. They could be better though.

Top Bottom