• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01Net's Fifth Nintendo Article: Iwata On The Ejection Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

lostinblue said:
Contractor work, if it gets used usually has to be credited, unless they don't want it. And that's pretty much TOSE alone. If it was a unused proto it was just that, but even then there's no basis to suppose it was bought.

Depends on the contract passed between the company and the contractor, if something from a contractor goes uncredited there's basis to think that the contract said so. If a contractor proto lead to Pikmin and nothing goes against that, the normal way of viewing that is to see that the contract stripped the contractor of credit right.

lostinblue said:
Nintendo R&D divisions are meant for that mean.

And before 2007 did you know that they had contractors that were working in their buildings and were providing work for them since the NES era or something.
Because that's in some of the Iwata asks actually, that the pikmin proto could be from something similar would have been mentioned in an Iwata ask for Pikmin 3 if Pikmin 3 was released for Wii (because they did Iwata ask for all their big releases)

lostinblue said:
He does his interviews; he answers questions, unscripted. And that's where most of this information comes from.

And I'm saying that most of what the gaming media report on new products usually has a part from the marketing team. If you've got Ign saying "Zelda, come and see Aonuma's next iteration on LoZ". It's most certainly Nintendo's marketing team that worked on Ign to push the angle of Aonuma being the creator of the next LoZ project.

lostinblue said:
You said it was marketed as a new character from Miyamoto, I thought you were talking about steel diver and found it preposterous but if it's pikmin… well, then it was a new character from miyamoto. In 2001.
We kept hearing about a new character based game from Miyamoto along the lines of Pikmin or Starfox which ended up being actually Steel Diver and then they dropped the angle of the character based new IP from Miyamoto.

Alextended said:
There are plenty of "we"s in the OP here, and it's apparently google translated so I don't think it converted "Nintendo" into "we".

Pretty much all the bolded parts mention some kinf of "we do this" or "we should do that" when speaking of Nintendo moves.

Actually you're right, the last article is littered with that, which is kinda weird.

Alextended said:
Uh, things like uncredited third party work aren't a European branch marketing decision. Neither is Iwata getting the boot.
No but they'd know about it, that's pretty certain.

Cosmonaut X said:
...except the Wii Remote had an expansion port built-in to allow for that. Where do you propose connecting an analogue pad dongle to the 3DS? And if it's wireless, what on Earth is that going to do to battery life? Would the dongle clip to the 3DS? How would the unit close? Would you have to remove it every time you shut the system and put it back on each time you opened it?

Leaving aside other issues, he suggestion that a redesigned twin-pad 3DS could be on the cards isn't too far-fetched in practical design terms - make the unit a bit thicker/wider and you could probably fit a second pad in there - but a clip-on dongle for existing units? Seems utterly unlikely.
internet hi-five.

I couldn't have said it better.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ushojax said:
I don't think the analog stick stuff is that far-fetched. Developers want to be able to port their games to as many platforms as possible with minimal hassle, forcing them to re-do the controls for only one stick is unnecessary extra work. With FPS so popular these days, it probably was a mistake not to have a second stick. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DSLite has one, and given what Nintendo did with MotionPlus (releasing a dongle and then a redesigned controller), an add-on isn't that far fetched.

As for Iwata, he should be taking the blame for Nintendo's recent failings. He failed to ensure a solid stream of 1st party titles on the Wii, he failed to substantially improve Nintendo's relationship with third parties, and he made many bone-headed decisions with the 3DS launch. I still think he's the right person to be in charge but he deserves criticism.

The analog stick is incredibly far fetched.

You don't do everything you can to boost sales, increase the userbase, and do a run of a new colour only to then split that userbase in 2, lose consumer trust, and generally give the impression you haven't got the faintest clue what you are doing. Even more unlikely when you can't even attach this alleged add-on to anything or be able to close the system with it on.

All the articles read like speculation from outside Nintendo by someone with a bone to pick about their recent (DS/Wii) direction. Of which the Internet is littered with people like that. It covered too many bases to appear as anything other than speculation. And referring to things like Doki Doki Panic, the story of which is practically an Internet meme, was a huge red flag. There were lots of red flags. Lots of things cobbled together to support Internet arguments most people are familiar with.

The only doubt about it being speculation is that the analog stick add-on/redesign is just so out there that you have to wonder why anyone would try and present it as fact. Unless it's someone who has really got their knickers in a twist about the Vita.

We can at least see if that one pans out, but I'd give it <5% possibility and that's being generous.

Mael

DECK'ARD said:
The analog stick is incredibly far fetched.

Everything they've done recently was far fetched though....
Off to Xenoblade.

DECK'ARD said:
You don't do everything you can to boost sales, increase the userbase, and do a run of a new colour only to then split that userbase in 2, lose consumer trust, and generally give the impression you haven't got the faintest clue what you are doing. Even more unlikely when you can't even attach this alleged add-on to anything or be able to close the system with it on.

That's what they did with the 3DS, they split the userbase, lost customer's trust and gave the impression they haven't got the faintest clue what they were doing anyway

Cygnus X-1 said:
I think it's time ofr 01net to be banned on Neogaf. This is more shit.

Hiroshi Yamauchi decided to put Iwata after he retired. And until he changes idea, there is no way Iwata is going to be replaced my someone else. Period.
facepalm.jpg

Why do you think he wasn't fired for the catastrophic 3DS launch and all of Yamauchi's money he lost?

Cygnus X-1

I think it's time ofr 01net to be banned on Neogaf. This is more shit.

Hiroshi Yamauchi decided to put Iwata after he retired. And until he changes idea, there is no way Iwata is going to be replaced by someone else. Period.

Mael said:
Depends on the contract passed between the company and the contractor, if something from a contractor goes uncredited there's basis to think that the contract said so. If a contractor proto lead to Pikmin and nothing goes against that, the normal way of viewing that is to see that the contract stripped the contractor of credit right.
Sure, but usually if Nintendo sees a good idea they empower that developer to do it; because they always have their hands full internally.

For example they didn't sack the guys that did Kirby Epic Yarn of their idea, they gave them their IP, and they liked Chibi Robo so they financed it and we could go on and on and on.

The only reason I can see for Nintendo to do so would be the aforementioned situation when they were already doing it inside and then comes a third party stealing their thunder with a concurring idea.

And we're straying from the original point that was that these articles aren't meant to make a difference, they're meant to cause discussion and internet traffic.
Mael said:
And before 2007 did you know that they had contractors that were working in their buildings and were providing work for them since the NES era or something.
Because that's in some of the Iwata asks actually, that the pikmin proto could be from something similar would have been mentioned in an Iwata ask for Pikmin 3 if Pikmin 3 was released for Wii (because they did Iwata ask for all their big releases)
Pikmin Wii-U then.

Those contractors were basically Nintendo R&D. Pikmin started there alright. But the article makes it feel like something external.
Mael said:
And I'm saying that most of what the gaming media report on new products usually has a part from the marketing team. If you've got Ign saying "Zelda, come and see Aonuma's next iteration on LoZ". It's most certainly Nintendo's marketing team that worked on Ign to push the angle of Aonuma being the creator of the next LoZ project.
Nintendo doesn't focus much on coining names though. They certainly aren't sticking "from Shigeru Miyamoto" in the boxes.

And my point wasn't that, the way they sell it is up to them, I'm saying these "stories" are not pitched in text form, they're told in interviews.
Mael said:
We kept hearing about a new character based game from Miyamoto along the lines of Pikmin or Starfox which ended up being actually Steel Diver and then they dropped the angle of the character based new IP from Miyamoto.
No it didn't.

Steel Diver is a 2004 concept that was shelved:

I first played a version of Steel Diver in 2004. It was a demo on the original, ugliest unreleased DS at E3 that year, a couple of days before the show floor opened when I think I was the first US reporter to touch Nintendo’s new machine (the power of a New York Times credential!). The game was a demonstration of how the two-screened system’s lower touch screen could be rendered to resemble a complicated control panel for a vessel that moved across the upper screen. I vaguely remember that demo’s virtual levers and dials and have long wished Nintendo released it to the public.
Source: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/06/steel-diver-is-nintendos-secret-recommendation/

Completely different than:

I think that next year I can probably deliver something new. I'm still active on the development scene, so please look forward to [my output]. It's been nearly 10 years since I made the Pikmin character, so I feel this is the year where I must at long last make a new character. This is as far as I'll answer today.
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/01/miyamoto_q_and_a/

Of course Steel Diver isn't it (and it's your fault for connecting the dots wrong). Whatever Miyamoto wanted to create, not only wasn't created yet (is it now?) that's not it.

Nessus

It seems weird to me that a French site would have access to a connected Japanese employee of Nintendo (I don't see how it could be an NOE employee, it wouldn't make sense for them to have access to that kind of information, given how in the dark both NOA and NOE have been historically about decisions at NCL).

*IF* true, then I'd say it's fucking unreasonable for the shareholders/board/whoever to be wanting Iwata's head after one mistake, the final outcome of which we don't even know yet.

Prior to him taking over the company Nintendo had been in a steady decline for over 20 years (every Nintendo home console sold significantly worse than its predecessor up until Iwata took over).

He's responsible for the best selling portable AND home console in the company's history.

I dunno, doesn't seem at all fair, if true.

Mael said:
Why do you think he wasn't fired for the catastrophic 3DS launch and all of Yamauchi's money he lost?
I dunno, perhaps because they only lost 300 million in one semester?

Sony Computer Entertainment (not Sony as a company, Playstation division) lost almost 2 billion in one year this gen, that is 500 million per semester. And yet no one was sacked.

fN0Vg.png

300 million in one quarter with Nintendo's track record is not much. Not a reason for the person that managed to make so much money in recent years to be sacked, specially when he vowed to make it right.

And SCE lost 200 million in the same semester. (bare in mind it's also a difficult time to launch hardware and the $ to yen conversion is not the most advantageous it's been in years)

Overeacting much?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Mael said:
That's what they did with the 3DS, they split the userbase, lost customer's trust and gave the impression they haven't got the faintest clue what they were doing anyway

What?

You are seriously reaching. The failure to communicate it was a new platform and setting too high a price is very different from then deliberatey splitting a userbase *after* addressing those issues.

You've seemed so emotionally invested in what these articles have said I'm beginning to wonder if you wrote them. How is your French? ;)

As entertaining as this week has been, it can all be safely put on one side and ignored until the mythical analog add-on materialises which would put what seems as rampant disgruntled Nintendo gamer speculation in a different light.

wrowa

Mael said:
You are talking about his hypothetical stock money? I doubt that he cares much. The last thing Yamauchi would do in his life is selling his Nintendo shares.

Mael

lostinblue said:
Sure, but usually if Nintendo sees a good idea they empower that developer to do it; because they always have their hands full internally.

For example they didn't sack the guys that did Kirby Epic Yarn of their idea, they gave them their IP, and they liked Chibi Robo so they financed it and we could go on and on and on.

The only reason I can see for Nintendo to do so would be the aforementioned situation when they were already doing it inside and then comes a third party stealing their thunder with a concurring idea.

Wait what? Why are you talking about sacking anyone or anything like that?
They had a contractor doing some work, the contractor did its job and provided a prototype.
Contractor left, because that's what contractors do. They later decide to reuse the proto and voila.
There's nothing complicated like what you're referring.

lostinblue said:
And we're straying from the original point that was that these articles aren't meant to make a difference, they're meant to cause discussion and internet traffic.Pikmin Wii-U then.

Those contractors were basically Nintendo R&D. Pikmin started there alright. But the article makes it feel like something external.

Well there's nothing in the articles saying whether or not it was an internal or external contractor anyway. There's such a such as internal contractor between divisions of the same entity (and accounting know who to bill for the work done). Heck it was mentioned that they had to use most of their employees to finish Zelda TP, most external to EAD where probably seen as internal contractors.
It matches up with the article.

lostinblue said:
Nintendo doesn't focus much on coining names though. They certainly aren't sticking "from Shigeru Miyamoto" in the boxes.
Did you miss the whole part where Miyamoto was the whole 'let's promote our developers into managerial position and attend shows'? They're not sticking his name everywhere but between 94 and 2004 they might as well have.

lostinblue said:
And my point wasn't that, the way they sell it is up to them, I'm saying these "stories" are not pitched in text form, they're told in interviews.

They're also pitched in text forms, every article you see on them is closely analysed and they try their best to put it in the best light possible for them. Whether it's through intentional leaks (but that's more MSFT forte), stories popping up, press releases or even interviews they're part of the marketing team's work.
If you think the IA interviews and any interview done by any Nintendo employee was not supervised by the marketing team I've either got a bridge to sell or they're the most incompetent company in the world as far as PR goes for the sheer liability this can be.

lostinblue said:
Whatever Miyamoto wanted to create, wasn't created yet
My bad, connected the wrong dots then.

freddy

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
You've seemed so emotionally invested in what these articles have said I'm beginning to wonder if you wrote them. How is your French? ;)
I've skimmed all 5 threads and come to a conclusion close to that myself.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Mael said:
Actually you're right, the last article is littered with that, which is kinda weird.
A little weird as in definitely not the guy you were thinking and making pro 01 arguments with? Yeah, I'd guess.

No but they'd know about it, that's pretty certain.
Eh, not really. But irrelevant after the above anyway.

I thought you were off to play Xenoblade, maybe you were just using my line from the other day though. I actually did go play though.

Mael

DECK'ARD said:
What?

You are seriously reaching. The failure to communicate it was a new platform and setting too high a price is very different from then deliberatey splitting a userbase *after* addressing those issues.
The DS userbase is not moving to the 3DS (at least not yet), they've failed to address their barren Wii lineup in 2 major territory for quite some time. I'd say that's ground for saying they lost customer's confidence.
Everything they've done since e3 2010 indicate that they've no idea what they're doing anymore.
That the successor of the Wii could be something that random people on the web were expecting the sequel of the GC to be is clearly an warning flag about whether or not they've lost their mind or not.

lostinblue said:
I dunno, perhaps because they only lost 300 million in one semester?

Sony Computer Entertainment (not Sony as a company, Playstation division) lost almost 2 billion in one year this gen, that is 500 million per semester. And yet no one was sacked.

http://i.imgur.com/fN0Vg.png[/IM G]

300 million in one quarter with Nintendo's track record is not much. Not a reason for the person that managed to make so much money in recent years to be sacked, specially when he vowed to make it right.

And SCE lost 200 million in the same semester. (bare in mind it's also a difficult time to launch hardware and the $ to yen conversion is not the most advantageous it's been in years)

Overeacting much?[/QUOTE]

So until they manage to do outdo Sony's disaster all's well?
What makes you think Yamauchi is actually happy to see his company lose its value so quickly and dramatically? Even if the guy's rich as fuck, he should be pretty pissed that they botched the launch of what was their primary livelihood. That is if he cares.
They didn't sack Iwata because they don't want to sack Iwata, that much is clear, however the public apology and the loss of income are clear warning his place is not as safe as it was.

[QUOTE=Alextended]A little weird as in definitely not the guy you were thinking and making pro 01 arguments with? Yeah, I'd guess.[/QUOTE]

What? pro 01 argument what?
this part for example :[url]http://www.01net.com/editorial/538334/le-modele-de-nintendo-a-l-and-039-epreuve-de-ses-nouveaux-concurrents-%284-5%29/[/url]
has little use of the pronoun 'we' (nous if you wanna check).
I'll admit I didn't properly read the last one and could have missed a thing or too on that part.
Heck the site even admit that they weren't sure they would be running with the story because there's only 1 source and it goes against their way of working and all that.
[QUOTE]Cette série d’articles a fait débat, entre nous, à la rédaction, et auprès de vous, nos lecteurs. Il ne s’agissait en effet pas d’articles comme nous avons pu en faire à plusieurs reprises avec plusieurs sources sur des informations exclusives concernant du matériel ou une annonce future.[/QUOTE]

I assure you that if I was working there I wouldn't be wasting any time posting in this thread, heck you don't accusing Nintendo/Sony/MSFT apologist of being viral marketers, right?

[QUOTE=Alextended]
I thought you were off to play Xenoblade, maybe you were just using my line from the other day though. I actually did go play though.[/QUOTE]
You know how it is, I checked the latest avgn vid and went back to see how it went here and all.
Saw the reply and though that the polite thing to do would be to reply. I mean there's no point in me posting if I don't follow through.

Mael said:
Wait what? Why are you talking about sacking anyone or anything like that?
They had a contractor doing some work, the contractor did its job and provided a prototype.
Contractor left, because that's what contractors do. They later decide to reuse the proto and voila.
There's nothing complicated like what you're referring.
If the idea wasn't theirs then they sacked it. That's what is implied.

If it was a situation when the idea was pitched and the contractor did a proto just to prove it was doable when it's different (for example, ssbb proto was done by game arts and then developed into a ful game instead of starting over)
Mael said:
Well there's nothing in the articles saying whether or not it was an internal or external contractor anyway. There's such a such as internal contractor between divisions of the same entity (and accounting know who to bill for the work done). Heck it was mentioned that they had to use most of their employees to finish Zelda TP, most external to EAD where probably seen as internal contractors.
It matches up with the article.
It doesn't but it implied stuff that wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I mean "an internal group was working on a proto that miyamoto liked and so he suggested they use a garden as the theme"

Wow, big drama there let's wrote some articles.

As for Zelda TP… That's doubtful and I never heard of it. A few years back EAD was an open space and they went from one project to the other but these day's it's different. Zelda Team has their own space and the back and forth there is from the handheld team and the regular team.

They've also grown past the shared tech era when mario 64 and zelda oot had the same engine (albeit modified) and thus everyone in there knew how to work on it. I doubt they could kidnap a few trainee's from elsewhere and expect them to do an ok job
Mael said:
Did you miss the whole part where Miyamoto was the whole 'let's promote our developers into managerial position and attend shows'? They're not sticking his name everywhere but between 94 and 2004 they might as well have.
That still doesn't mean he had them writing his interviews does it?
Mael said:
They're also pitched in text forms, every article you see on them is closely analysed and they try their best to put it in the best light possible for them. Whether it's through intentional leaks (but that's more MSFT forte), stories popping up, press releases or even interviews they're part of the marketing team's work.
You know it all don't you?
Mael said:
If you think the IA interviews and any interview done by any Nintendo employee was not supervised by the marketing team I've either got a bridge to sell or they're the most incompetent company in the world as far as PR goes for the sheer liability this can be.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make, yes, there's guys supervising interviews (no such thing as an interview alone with the developer when you have a big company like Nintendo, there's other people), if anything the translator that is a Nintendo employee and I'm sure they're also responsible enough to not run their mouth wild indadvertedly leaking stuff. But my point stands, there's no preset plot to tell, they're being interviewed and proving the question is within the theme being discussed… and they answer.

I don't believe in conspiracies with intricacies.

Alexios

lostinblue said:
What? pro 01 argument what?
So you weren't using how the dude who got fired has circumstances which totally match up what 01net has been posting (marketing dude got fired, this is all marketing material! - though it isn't) to reinforce the plausibility of their content, up until it's shown that their source is supposedly still with Nintendo at the time of the interviews (or whatever this is called) rather than fired? My bad. Though your last post feels like you're still doing that by saying previous articles don't have many "we"s. So what? The last does, and it's the same guy, so clearly implying he's with Nintendo, rather than fired. Especially since it's the point they ask him about his motivations, and he lays the "we" smack down.

Mael said:
So until they manage to do outdo Sony's disaster all's well?
What makes you think Yamauchi is actually happy to see his company lose its value so quickly and dramatically? Even if the guy's rich as fuck, he should be pretty pissed that they botched the launch of what was their primary livelihood. That is if he cares.
They didn't sack Iwata because they don't want to sack Iwata, that much is clear, however the public apology and the loss of income are clear warning his place is not as safe as it was.
No, I'm saying 300 million is nothing for Nintendo.

The problem is that it is still a loss and even if it doesn't hurt them in the wallet, a loss lowers investors confidence so before it becomes a tendency they have to make themselves sure it's not where it's heading. But then again what kind of confidence do investors have in SCE or MSFT? Nintendo is the most reliable company when it comes to bring money home in the business regarding that, it still is, and yeah it'll be until they lose (a lot of) billions. Not even a contest.

And Iwata being responsible for bringing billions won't be sacked for 300 million, it's logic when there's no replacement either.

It's not the end of the world, for now at least.

Alextended - You quoted my name! D': *cries*

I don't want to be connoted with that.

Mael

lostinblue said:
If the idea wasn't theirs then they sacked it. That's what is implied.
No it's never implied :

Le concept de Pikmin, ainsi, serait directement inspiré d’une simulation en temps réel (RTS) présentée à la firme par un créateur des années avant la sortie du jeu.

Pikmin's concept (meaning the gameplay) would be inspired directly from a rts shown to the firm by a developer, years before the release of the game.

On Galaxy :
Nintendo aurait alors fouillé dans ses tiroirs pour en extraire un prototype prometteur conçu par un sous-traitant

They then went throught their drawers to get a prototype made by a contractor

Actually it's never implied anywhere whether the creators each time were part of the company or not. It's not anywhere in the article.

lostinblue said:
I mean "an internal group was working on a proto that miyamoto liked and so he suggested they use a garden as the theme"

Wow, big drama there let's wrote some articles.

That's what I'm saying since the beginning, there's no drama in the articles. I don't know where you get it but it's not in there.

lostinblue said:
As for Zelda TP… That's doubtful and I never heard of it. A few years back EAD was an open space and they went from one project to the other but these day's it's different. Zelda Team has their own space and the back and forth there is from the handheld team and the regular team.

They've also grown past the shared tech era when mario 64 and zelda oot had the same engine (albeit modified) and thus everyone in there knew how to work on it. I doubt they could kidnap a few trainee's from elsewhere and expect them to do an ok job

Iwata Ask about Zelda TP, they said that there was at a time hundreds of people working on the game at a time. Way more than what Zelda's dedicated team could handle.
And I don't doubt they could 'kidnap' a few employee here and there and put them on some task. It's actually rather expected.

lostinblue said:
That still doesn't mean he had them writing his interviews does it?You know it all don't you?I don't understand the point you're trying to make, yes, there's guys supervising interviews (no such thing as an interview alone with the developer when you have a big company like Nintendo, there's other people), if anything the translator that is a Nintendo employee and I'm sure they're also responsible enough to not run their mouth wild indadvertedly leaking stuff. But my point stands, there's no preset plot to tell, they're being interviewed and proving the question is within the theme being discussed… and they answer.

I don't believe in conspiracies with intricacies.

There's no conspiracies, all people talking in public that they send for interviews and the like need to be briefed about what they can and can't say. That's part of the whole thing.
Marketing really is far more reaching than simply selling products. Iwata Asks are certainly awesome marketing material and a genius idea.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Mael said:
The DS userbase is not moving to the 3DS (at least not yet), they've failed to address their barren Wii lineup in 2 major territory for quite some time. I'd say that's ground for saying they lost customer's confidence.
Everything they've done since e3 2010 indicate that they've no idea what they're doing anymore.
That the successor of the Wii could be something that random people on the web were expecting the sequel of the GC to be is clearly an warning flag about whether or not they've lost their mind or not

The 3DS Japanese sales say they haven't lost consumer confidence, the product was just position wrong. And after Mario Kart I'd say this will all be forgotten in all 3 territories.

With the Wii they painted themselves into a corner, and NOA has been baffling. How much of this has transferred over to the consumer at large outside Internet forums? Not much probably. It's a console at the end of its life, and has had a normal if completely unprecedented and front-loaded run.

I wouldn't have banked on motion controls for a follow-up either, unless they had a killer idea which could reignite it. Zelda's tortuous development says they haven't found it easy. And concept wise the genres that work with it have been beaten into the ground, with Kinect now beating those same genres into the ground a second time. And Move with no mindshare at all. No, Nintendo would have been mad to bank all on it again for another 5 years.

Not to say I think Wii U as it stands was the best way to go, I've had problems with that since the first rumours came out. Going with a concept with inherent technological limitations in how it can be applied is very odd for Nintendo. And if they don't get round the one controller issue (and prove they have got round it) I think they are going against their greatest stength and the asymmetrical gaming bollocks won't fly with the public at large.

If you are going to base a console around a very specific concept, that concept must be able to be applied as broadly as possible to make it compelling. The problem with Wii U at the moment, why the E3 presentation failed, and why it's now gone AWOL, is because as demonstrated it wasn't compelling. It's confused, even Nintendo themselves seemed confused about it.

Address its shortcomings, assuming the limitations with the wireless aren't too great, and it could turn out very different.

Mael

Alextended said:
So you weren't using how the dude who got fired has circumstances which totally match up what 01net has been posting (marketing dude got fired, this is all marketing material! - though it isn't) to reinforce the plausibility of their content, up until it's shown that their source is supposedly still with Nintendo at the time of the interviews (or whatever this is called) rather than fired? My bad. Though your last post feels like you're still doing that by saying previous articles don't have many "we"s. So what? The last does, and it's the same guy, so clearly implying he's with Nintendo, rather than fired. Especially since it's the point they ask him about his motivations, and we lays the "we" smack down.
I'll reread the last part later, but from what I read it's strongly implied that it was the former higher up at NoE that left. Now maybe the last article change everything.

No, I'm saying 300 million is nothing for Nintendo.

The problem is that it is still a loss and even if it doesn't hurt them in the wallet, a loss lowers investors confidence so before it becomes a tendency they have to make themselves sure it's not where it's heading. But then again what kind of confidence do investors have in SCE or MSFT? Nintendo is the most reliable company when it comes to bring money home in the business regarding that, it still is, and yeah it'll be until they lose (a lot of) billions. Not even a contest.

And Iwata being responsible for bringing billions won't be sacked for 300 million, it's logic when there's no replacement either.

It's not the end of the world, for now at least.

Actually the bigger problem I see for them is that they're losing what they relied on to bring steady income for all these years.
I mean N64, VirtualBoy and GC didn't do well but at least gb had pokmon, then there the gba for them to still be relevant. I'm thinking the disastrous launch of the 3DS (and how investors see their future) has more to do with the surprising turn of event than the 300 million, on that I think we can agree.

DECK'ARD said:
The 3DS Japanese sales say they haven't lost consumer confidence, the product was just position wrong. And after Mario Kart I'd say this will all be forgotten in all 3 territories.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the situation. If Mario Kart alone can make things turn around then we can all point and laugh at the doom and gloom, I agree.
Until then 3DS had a disastrous launch and customer were less than impressed by what they've shown.

DECK'ARD said:
With the Wii they painted themselves into a corner, and NOA has been baffling. How much of this has transferred over to the consumer at large outside Internet forums? Not much probably. It's a console at the end of its life, and has had a normal if completely unprecedented and front-loaded run.

Depends on why the customers bought the system for and if they were satisfied with it. Outside the web I'd say it's not as rosy or dark than it seems. We can expect people who never played games to come back if they're targeted by the next product but otherwise...

DECK'ARD said:
I wouldn't have banked on motion controls for a follow-up either, unless they had a killer idea which could reignite it. Zelda's tortuous development says they haven't found it easy. And concept wise the genres that work with it have been beaten into the ground, with Kinect now beating those same genres into the ground a second time. And Move with no mindshare at all. No, Nintendo would have been mad to bank all on it again for another 5 years.

Pfft I call BS on that, Nintendo did jackshit with the Wii anyway, there's a grand total of less than 10 games they've done using motion control well. I won't even talk about M+ where there's basically WSR and Zelda, the rest might as well not exists.
If someone liked WSR and wanted more he'd have only Zelda to look forward to.

DECK'ARD said:
Not to say I think Wii U as it stands was the best way to go, I've had problems with that since the first rumours came out. Going with a concept with inherent technological limitations in how it can be applied is very odd for Nintendo. And if they don't get round the one controller issue (and prove they have got round it) I think they are going against their greatest stength and the asymmetrical gaming bollocks won't fly with the public at large.

If you are going to base a console around a very specific concept, that concept must be able to be applied as broadly as possible to make it compelling. The problem with Wii U at the moment, why the E3 presentation failed, and why it's now gone AWOL, is because as demonstrated it wasn't compelling. It's confused, even Nintendo themselves seemed confused about it.

Totally agree (which was what I meant by not having any idea what they were doing)

DECK'ARD said:
Address its shortcomings, assuming the limitations with the wireless aren't too great, and it could turn out very different.
We'll see.

I'm very sorry but I indeed have to leave, it's not the polite thing to do but that's it.

Mael said:
I'm saying since the beginning, there's no drama in the articles. I don't know where you get it but it's not in there.
We fundamentally disagree. I think the articles are written to be alarming, over the top and the writer/source must be some sort of drama queen. And then there's the stuff that makes absolutely no sense.

And yes, I've read some of the articles (these and the other from yesterday) in french, I'm of latin origin so I can somehow muster my rusty french to the task. If everything fails can at least identify the tone in which this piece of "jornalism" was written.
Mael said:
Iwata Ask about Zelda TP, they said that there was at a time hundreds of people working on the game at a time. Way more than what Zelda's dedicated team could handle.
And I don't doubt they could 'kidnap' a few employee here and there and put them on some task. It's actually rather expected.
Care to quote?

I've used my diagonal reading skill and didn't find it.

Anyway, I can't see why the Zelda Team couldn't have 100 members to it, I never tried to count people in the credits.
Mael said:
There's no conspiracies, all people talking in public that they send for interviews and the like need to be briefed about what they can and can't say. That's part of the whole thing.
Of course there are conspiracies, the thing to them is that they're fictional.

From the moment you say "3ds add-on that has no way of being plugged in is happening", "miyamoto is a credit hog and his ideas are purchased, mario galaxy isn't original" "iwata is about to get fired" and complement it with "I love nintendo and the wii-u is awesome" as a step for "look I'm not against nintendo despite the attacks in all directions and hatred I just displayed without a proof basis" you have your convoluted conspiracy theory right there. And lots of webpage hits on 01net.

Mael said:
Actually the bigger problem I see for them is that they're losing what they relied on to bring steady income for all these years.
I mean N64, VirtualBoy and GC didn't do well but at least gb had pokmon, then there the gba for them to still be relevant. I'm thinking the disastrous launch of the 3DS (and how investors see their future) has more to do with the surprising turn of event than the 300 million, on that I think we can agree.
They'll still make money, it's not like their conservative way of doing things has been thrown off the window (they didn't propose a PSVita, they proposed the 3DS which is a modest handheld system), that's not the issue really, even if they stepped on their own foot.

And the world crisis is not helping, a lot of reliable companies are bound to post losses due to it, and still be reliable, just caught in a time market kinda crashed.

If you expected to sell 100 but sold 50, because suddenly everyone is afraid of loosing their jobs to spend money on your product you'll make a loss and your capacity to sell it drops. But it's not granted that you'll lose that money, you freeze production given you have excess and sell it at the rate the market is swallowing it. Nintendo did that with the Gamecube for instance.

The "problem" is that they don't want a Gamecube in their hands (and said it specifically) they want a new DS. (not really a problem, but required measures)

I think the hardest part is how the investors don't get the market and see the smartphones overlapping it more than it really does. (and don't realize the iOS/Android market wouldn't work in bringing the same revenue current consoles do, videogame market would crash). It's a case of mass hysteria, the more people don't pay mind to it the better.

We had one of these in the 90's when every media outlet was writing articles where the PC would destroy consoles. Shame we have to go through it again (and this time it might actually hurt handhelds more than it should seeing DS managed to get the so called expanded audience by delving into the mainstream)

DECK'ARD said:
Popcorn + cheese?

This sounds like madness, does it work?
Oh it does, it does indeed. Almost everything is immediately better when you add cheese.

Edit: Even 01net's shitty articles are much better when you add cheese to them. Try it! You'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
AzureNightmare said:
Oh it does, it does indeed. Almost everything is immediately better when you add cheese.

Edit: Even 01net's shitty articles are much better when you add cheese to them. Try it! You'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Oh yeah, I add cheese to everything. And extra cheese if there is already cheese on it.

Never thought about doing it to popcorn though. Something good HAS come out of these 01net articles!

DECK'ARD said:
Oh yeah, I add cheese to everything. And extra cheese if there is already cheese on it.

Never thought about doing it to popcorn though. Something good HAS come out of these 01net articles!
You need powdered cheese for popcorn though.

AzureNightmare said:

They are cheesy enough on their own. Read it enough and you'll be constipated.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
01net would succeed working with People magazine.

firelink

Banned
I actually have an idea for what they meant by an extra analog.

I am on my phone or else I would do it, but research the iPhone analog dongle. It is a suction cupped analog that sticks to the screen. This would be easy to do for the 3DS as well, but it would almost eliminate the touch screen.

Alexios

firelink said:
I actually have an idea for what they meant by an extra analog.
Why would they need a whole new hardware model if that's the "analog" they're adding. Which isn't adding anything anyway, just giving you something other than your finger/stylus to push the same ol touch interface stuff with. Also, it's not something Nintendo engineers would spend sleepless nights over.

firelink

Banned
Alextended said:
Why would they need a whole new hardware model if that's the "analog" they're adding. Which isn't adding anything anyway, just giving you something other than your finger/stylus to push the same ol touch interface stuff with. Also, it's not something Nintendo engineers would spend sleepless nights over.

I do not mind if you disagree with me, but don't patronize me by quoting my use of the word analog.

Please look up the difference between analog and analogue.

As for it not being used on the touchscreen, there are other ways. I thought about there being no ports as well, however the Guitar Hero DS game had a gadget that connected via the GBA slot. So perhaps something could be connected into the 3DS main slot, kind of like how Gameshark always connected to handhelds. Peripheral plugs in, you plug the game into the peripheral.

Mailenstein said:
Hopefully true. And don't forget to take Reggie with you when you leave, Satoru.
Question: Why would you want to get rid of Iwata?

Follow Up: Who would you have replace him that you think would do a "better" job?

Gravijah

AceBandage said:
Question: Why would you want to get rid of Iwata?

Follow Up: Who would you have replace him that you think would do a "better" job?

Not quite sure I'd like a man who kills innocent civilians running my company. Where does he even get bombs from?

AzureNightmare said:

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom