• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01Net's Fifth Nintendo Article: Iwata On The Ejection Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
AceBandage said:
Question: Why would you want to get rid of Iwata?

Follow Up: Who would you have replace him that you think would do a "better" job?
I don't like the way he is running this company and I don't like the fact that part of this idea is going backwards as far as online goes. It's kinda ironic, since Nintendo was a company which actually always pushed these kind of things. The online experience I have with the 3DS is dreadful and is nothing more than chore to me. I just want Nintendo to be online wise on par with MS and Sony, because you can't ignore these things and kind of try to replace them with anything else. And to make that possible, he has to go imho. The dude is acting like he is Steve Jobs when talking about the future, but he really isn't even close to that guy. Who I would like to replace him? I'll be honest with you here: I don't know. But hopefully somebody who shares my opinion in general.

Mailenstein said:
I don't like the way he is running this company and I don't like the fact that part of this idea is going backwards as far as online goes. It's kinda ironic, since Nintendo was a company which actually always pushed these kind of things. The online experience I have with the 3DS is dreadful and is nothing more than chore to me. I just want Nintendo to be online wise on par with MS and Sony, because you can't ignore these things and kind of try to replace them with anything else. And to make that possible, he has to go imho. The dude is acting like he is Steve Jobs when talking about the future, but he really isn't even close to that guy. Who I would like to replace him? I'll be honest with you here: I don't know. But hopefully somebody who shares my opinion in general.
because online on 3DS is crap, Iwata should go away? OK.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This sums up pretty much this whole 01net saga amirite

780659hu3z.gif

Amirite

Gravijah

lostinblue said:
Let's have Segata Sanshiro run the company, that worked wonders for Sega on the Saturn days!

(This is a joke post)

If Segata Sanshiro ran the company, he would cancel Donkey Kong Country and greenlight Super Mario World 3: Yoshi's Island The Real 2: Not Yoshi's Story 2. And life would be grand. Grand.

[Nintex]

Gravijah said:
If Segata Sanshiro ran the company, he would cancel Donkey Kong Country and greenlight Super Mario World 3: Yoshi's Island The Real 2: Not Yoshi's Story 2. And life would be grand. Grand.
No No he would release Nintendodododododo

Mailenstein said:

Ok, another question: How is the 3DS a step backwards for Nintendo in terms of online when it's actually a huge step forward and from all accounts the Wii U is an even larger step forward?

Mailenstein said:
Read again.
that's the gist of your post. you say Nintendo sucks at online, then as a proof you point out how 3DS isn't on par with PSN and Live (and wrongly as a sign of going backward), then you say it is because Iwata is leading the company; so he should step down.

and of course a hilarious and pointless Iwata vs Jobs which I don't see adding anything to your argument.

Maybe you should read your weak argument again.

AceBandage said:
Ok, another question: How is the 3DS a step backwards for Nintendo in terms of online when it's actually a huge step forward and from all accounts the Wii U is an even larger step forward?
How is it a huge step forward? Not compared to the Wii and even not to the DSi. And as far as Wii U goes, we know none to nothing.

walking fiend said:
that's the gist of your post. you say Nintendo sucks at online, then as a proof you point out how 3DS isn't on par with PSN and Live (and wrongly as a sign of going backward), then you say it is because Iwata is leading the company; so he should step down.

and of course a hilarious and pointless Iwata vs Jobs which I don't see adding anything to your argument.

Maybe you should read your weak argument again.
Well, it isn't. The 3DS is just an example, but not the reason. I could have said Wii and it wouldn't make a difference. The point is that Nintendo used to be a company which pushed these things early on, with the FC or SFC for example. They way they approach it now, is a step backwards. You just didn't understand my post, so hopefully you do now.

Mailenstein said:
How is it a huge step forward? Not compared to the Wii and even not to the DSi. And as far as Wii U goes, we know none to nothing.

I don't think you've used the Wii or the 3DS's online if you think they're even comparable...

AceBandage said:
I don't think you've used the Wii or the 3DS's online if you think they're even comparable...
I have both, a Wii and a 3DS since launch, so I used both quite often - also online. Why would it matter if they are comparable or not? You can still compare things and see where things have been improved and where not. I don't see this huge difference you are talking about to be honest.

Mailenstein said:
I have a Wii and 3DS since launch, so I used both quite often. Why would it matter if they are comparable or not? You can still compare things and see where things were improved and where not. I don't see this huge difference you are talking about to be honest.

The fact that the 3DS has an actually active online system unlike the Wii/DS, with a more unified account and a much better shop.
No, it's not XBL, but it's no where close to the Wii's.

AceBandage said:
The fact that the 3DS has an actually active online system unlike the Wii/DS, with a more unified account and a much better shop.
No, it's not XBL, but it's no where close to the Wii's.
Active online system? I have a friendslist good for nothing. The friends system is the same as before. Only thing they changed is the unified account. The shop is better, but it's not good at all. It's pretty much a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea if you ask me. What about the online community, the cross connection between applications etc.? Nowhere to be seen. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Nintendo fan, always was, but these are no huge improvements at all.

Mailenstein said:
Active online system? I have a friendslist good for nothing. The friends system is the same as before. Only thing they changed is the unified account. The shop is better, but it's not good at all. It's pretty much a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea if you ask me. What about the online community, the cross connection between applications etc.? Nowhere to be seen. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Nintendo fan, always was, but these are no huge improvements at all.

They are improvements though.
And a far cry from the "step backwards" that you are claiming.

AceBandage said:
They are improvements though.
And a far cry from the "step backwards" that you are claiming.
Yes, they are improvements.
As for the "step backwards", I already explained that. I'm talking Nintendo in general, which goes back to the FC days and what followed after that. It's a very big difference between now and than. If they would still have that drive regarding online stuff, they would be ahead of MS and Sony now. And that's my biggest issue with Nintendo and Iwata's philosophy.

Socreges

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
So, the week of 01Net "revelations" gave us:

-- 3DS redesign coming in 2012 w. second analogue
-- 3DS analogue add-on coming at the same time for existing owners
-- Wii U dev hardware not working correctly; controllers not even working properly tethered
-- SMG based on prototype from outside source; Nintendo sat on dozens of similar prototypes
-- Nintendo threatened by Apple/smartphones and unable to deal with a coherent strategy
-- Iwata on the chopping block
Holy shit.

But I guess his traffic is as high as ever.

Why do people keep posting this stuff? I guess they'd like it all to be true.

[Nintex]

Mailenstein said:
As for the "step backwards", I already explained that. I'm talking Nintendo in general, which goes back to the FC days and what followed after that. It's a very big difference between now and than. If they would still have that drive regarding online stuff, they would be ahead of MS and Sony now. And that's my biggest issue with Nintendo and Iwata's philosophy.
By that mindset Yamauchi would swoop in, start a 'Internet Seal of Quality' movement, ban all the filth and everything but Nintendo endorsed internet products and sue Apple for ripping of the shape of the Famicom controller. All while saying to server hosts "You better host Nintendo websites or you're not going to host anything at all in the future, capiche?"

Angry Fork

Why are people getting so mad at these articles? lol If it's ridiculous then ignore it if it's not then we'll find out soon enough.

[Nintex] said:
By that mindset Yamauchi would swoop in, start a 'Internet Seal of Quality' movement, ban all the filth and everything but Nintendo endorsed internet products and sue Apple for ripping of the shape of the Famicom controller. All while saying to server hosts "You better host Nintendo websites or you're not going to host anything at all in the future, capiche?"
Your point is?

Mailenstein said:
Well, it isn't. The 3DS is just an example, but not the reason. I could have said Wii and it wouldn't make a difference. The point is that Nintendo used to be a company which pushed these things early on, with the FC or SFC for example. They way they approach it now, is a step backwards. You just didn't understand my post, so hopefully you do now.
When did they push online to begin with? Your whole argument is out of your frustration with their online system and just expanding it to everything Nintendo does.

They are behind current online curve, but they have improved a lot since GBA to 3DS and from Wii to 3DS and of course from DS to 3DS. You must living in your small dreamland to think that Nintendo is supposed to be the company pushing online technologies while Microsoft has much more human resources and experience for doing so. Nintendo is not a giant software company. If anything has caused them, it is your kind of idea that Nintendo must be pushing online. They are about ideas not merely technologies, but since they wanted to do everything themselves, they just couldn't keep up with infrastructure advancement.

And they are pushing industry. Who introduced touch? who introduced motion gaming? who popularized casual games? Who is going to popularize 3D? Who is making the first stand alone home console? And it is all being done with Iwata as the CEO. before Iwata, who could have even thought of a console such as Wii U?

if you can't see Nintendo pushing things, you are simply blind. They have been pushing industry more than ever.

TheNatural

My Member!
You know how you can tell the "source" is bullshit?

Basically when sources give away supposed inside info at EVERY level of the company it kind of gives away they're not reliable. Maybe the person really does work with Nintendo they talk to, but is just letting off steam or speculation about a ton of stuff. What employee knows everything from what position the CEO is, to the hardware division, to how many dev kids go out, to major games "really" made by someone else, to the cost of hardware and it not working with a future console?

It's all pretty ridiculous stuff. Unless its Iwata or Miyamoto himself as the "source" no regular employee is going to know all this shit.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
firelink said:
I do not mind if you disagree with me, but don't patronize me by quoting my use of the word analog.
Erm, I put it in quotes because what you described was hardly a proper analog stick like the source indicated, not because I was mocking your use of the word. Lol.

BurntPork

Banned
Mailenstein said:
You mean back when Yamauchi called online gaming a fad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom