• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

One has to wonder just what Sato really wants to do in life if he's that good at hair styling.

I want to imagine that Sato is some sort of all-around savant who can do anything he wants and the only reason he's still in that chain family restaurant is Yachiyo.

Cause that would him even more foreveralone than he already is.

mAcOdIn

I want to imagine that Sato is some sort of all-around savant who can do anything he wants and the only reason he's still in that chain family restaurant is Yachiyo.

Cause that would him even more foreveralone than he already is.

Why are you so intent on him being foreveralone? Poor Sato.
Yep. You're free to live an anime-free life . . . if you dare.
If you dare is right, freedom's a scary thing, I'll settle back into the warm familiar bosom of anime rather than go it alone.

cajunator

Banned
Drill hair was better

s1qJs.png

Oh dear god when will this get licensed?

mAcOdIn

Sato makes himself foreveralone; he has no one else to blame. Except, of course, the author for placing him in a gag show where relationships can't develop.

Ah, but the universe still moves on, Working the series will probably only follow Takanashi through HS and leave the rest unsettled so you can decide if he's forever alone or not yourself! Everything past that will be in your head, will you make it a happy ending?

jman2050

Ah, but the universe still moves on, Working the series will probably only follow Takanashi through HS and leave the rest unsettled so you can decide if he's forever alone or not yourself! Everything past that will be in your head, will you make it a happy ending?

The series will end with Takanashi and Inami signing their
dog owner's
certificate.

trejo

I got nothing against people that don't want to watch a long show. I got something against people that judge them all as crap without knowing anything about them.

I don't judge all long shows as crap. I just don't like to undertake such huge commitments. I'm sure OP is fine and all but it's just so fucking long.

cajunator

Banned
I don't judge all long shows as crap. I just don't like to undertake such huge commitments. I'm sure OP is fine and all but it's just so fucking long.

The longest series that i stuck with for every episode was Full moon wo sagashite. It was well worth it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dammit,Working'!! is gonna end in 2 episodes makes me depressed :( Hopefully the BD/DVD sales justifies a third season.
I was kind of excited for a little there in episode 11 when I figured the plot might actual progress in some kind of way. But nope, totally faked me out. Nothing is going to happen this season.

Thoraxes

Starting tomorrow, i'm going to punish myself for not watching Utena, and then i'm going to watch Utena.

I just need to know how Ikuhara ruined Christmas in 1997.

jman2050

I was kind of excited for a little there in episode 11 when I figured the plot might actual progress in some kind of way. But nope, totally faked me out. Nothing is going to happen this season.

it's almost as if we were watching an gag comedy that heavily relies on Status Quo is God!

Next you'll tell me Squid Girl won't actually invade the world this season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
it's almost as if we were watching an gag comedy that heavily relies on Status Quo is God!

Next you'll tell me Squid Girl won't actually invade the world this season.
In sitcoms, character/plot development is death.

Although, stagnation is death too - e.g. The Simpsons.

dimb

First season had some sense of relationship building and a slow forward momentum for its story. And they didn't make up new jokes either for season two so great job there.

Also, there can be excellent comedies with a sense of narrative direction. Pretty much every season of Curb Your Enthusiasm has an overarching plot line that phases in and out of the spotlight but helps create a more cohesive structure for the show that is able to appropriately climax over multiple episodes.

Fate/Zero 10

This was a bad episode that really served no purpose.
We learned that Kariya like to stalk little girls and the serial killer is extremely incompetent. I'm amazed he managed to kill anyone before he got Caster.

dimb

If Working'!! carried itself as a snappy comedy I would find it easier to excuse the lack of progression. For something like Nichijou the absence of progression goes unnoticed because it's clear the focus of the show is on the jokes. Large chunks of each episode of Working'!! go without any jokes, so clearly there is supposed to be some engaging element there in the absence of humor.

Dororon Enma-kun came out earlier this year and was a "gag comedy" that was actually funny and it even went somewhere with its story. You cannot slap a "comedy" label on something and give it a free pass on telling a worthwhile story.

Uchip

Banned
Dororon Enma-kun came out earlier this year and was a "gag comedy" that was actually funny and it even went somewhere with its story. You cannot slap a "comedy" label on something and give it a free pass on telling a worthwhile story.

wait what???
all i remember was everyone getting naked and having sex or something like that

jman2050

If Working'!! carried itself as a snappy comedy I would find it easier to excuse the lack of progression. For something like Nichijou the absence of progression goes unnoticed because it's clear the focus of the show is on the jokes. Large chunks of each episode of Working'!! go without any jokes, so clearly there is supposed to be some engaging element there in the absence of humor.

jokes?

What jokes?

You cannot slap a "comedy" label on something and give it a free pass on telling a worthwhile story.

You absolutely can, and I will.

I didn't find Dororon Enma-kun funny in any way. Different tastes and all.

I don't see why an overarching plot is necessary for a comedy (or any show really). I don't feel the characters in Working are strong enough to make me care if they started taking the romantic relationships seriously, and the show is always at its weakest when it hints at doing that. I enjoy watching Working to see how these quirky types bounce off of each other, the awkwardness that ensues in small moments, and the amusing punchlines that have been carefully set up. It's not my favorite comedy, but it executes what it sets out to be pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom