• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Light speed kick.

Don't make me bust out physics formulas I'm too lazy to look up.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sklDp.jpg
I wanted to marry her when I was six.

Ezalc

Level E 1

Hey, this is pretty sweet. The alien is a great character and his interplay with Yukitaka is hilarious. There's a fair amount of CG, but for some reason it doesn't bother me; for the most part they make it work with the overall art style. The OP is probably the most stylish one of the year. I foresee good times ahead!

princekeikakudoori.jpg

Yes this is perfect.

One Piece is indeed unbalanced and it's acknowledged in universe. It's why there aren't many fighting games. Logias are so fuckin broken and only a handful of characters know haki.

then surely you would have a concise explanation by now?
the fact that the abilities are so random and diverse is enough to counter that claim completely
predicting what someone is going to do in one piece is near impossible

Expect Haki allows someone to do just that.

Haki imba

Oh god the shonengaf vs moegaf has started!

Uchip

Banned
Light speed kick.

Don't make me bust out physics formulas I'm too lazy to look up.

no point discussing one piece if you are going to compare it to reality in any shape or form
Oda is on crack and its great

Expect Haki allows someone to do just that.

too bad enel couldnt predict gomu gomu ricochet :p

really, any of cp9 could have taken out logia types if they had the brains to use kairoseki batons like smoker has
nobody is unbeatable and it comes down to how long the line of crack is that oda took before the arc

Haly

It's why there aren't many fighting games.
Kakyoin/Hierophant Green is top tier in the JoJo fighting game.

Power balance is completely different when talking about a game than when talking about a story.
no point discussing one piece if you are going to compare it to reality in any shape or form
Oda is on crack and its great
"What? Bullets don't work on him????"
"I'm a rubber man!"
REACTION SHOTS

"1 MIRRION VOLTS"
"I'm a rubber man!"
REACTION SHOTS

Ezalc

I'm going to put this in a separate post since I doubt anybody read it in my edited post:

One Piece is unbalanced because Haki completely eliminates the intimidating presence that previous enemies like the admirals gave off. Since the straw hat pirates can now fight them without having to figure out a way around their logia powers it makes things dull.

Haly

Ignoring "best girl" discussion for a moment, Makoto really is the best waifu material. Cook, cleans, fights, has self-confidence issues when it comes to boys.

Everything you'd want in a girl.
One Piece is unbalanced because Haki completely eliminates the intimidating presence that previous enemies like the admirals gave off. Since the straw hat pirates can now fight them without having to figure out a way around their logia powers it makes things dull.
Yes this is a pretty big factor. As stupid as the Crocodile thing was, seeing abilities have advantages/weaknesses was interesting. Now Oda can just go "HAKI" and hand-wave away any power difference.

Uchip

Banned

except that anyone worth a damn in one piece also has that ability along with the devil fruit , ie. Newgate

Akainu even states that people like ace get cocky because of their logia ability

survivor

Banned
I'm going to put this in a separate post since I doubt anybody read it in my edited post:

Most of the straw hats won't have the ability to hit logia users. Even then they still need to get around their elemental power, Luffy will get fucked if he gets magma punched

Ezalc

except that anyone worth a damn in one piece also has that ability along with the devil fruit , ie. Newgate

Akainu even states that people like ace get cocky because of their logia ability

So? It doesn't change the fact that it's a giant deus ex machina and a really shitty one at that. The fights with the admirals will still be huge and all that but they won't be as interesting if the straw hats had to figure out a way to overcome each logia ability. Haki is just such a bullshit half ass power to try and balance things it ends up ensuring that every single future fight against a logia will be completely uninteresting.

Most of the straw hats won't have the ability to hit logia users. Even then they still need to get around their elemental power, Luffy will get fucked if he gets magma punched

Except he won't get punched because LOLPREDICTINGHAKI or whatever.

Kakyoin/Hierophant Green is top tier in the JoJo fighting game.

Power balance is completely different when talking about a game than when talking about a story.

Yes, I realize that. Kizaru's very existence breaks the universe. The only ones that should stand any chance against him are other logias, and it's iffy if even they could activate their incorporealness in time even with cases like Crocodile who has trained himself to do it subconsciously.

Uchip

Banned

without haki theres no explanation as to why logia types dont just do whatever they want and take over the world

Yes, I realize that. Kizaru's very existence breaks the universe. The only ones that should stand any chance against him are other logias, and it's iffy if even they could activate their incorporealness in time even with cases like Crocodile who has trained himself to do it subconsciously.

you obviously missed the joke about him being slow in the head
and im pretty sure the diamond guy is his natural counter

Haly

The other strawhats won't be fighting logia users.

Robin, Nami, Sanji, Chopper, Franky and Usopp are relegated to fodder. Zorro has Mihawk. Luffy will be the only one fighting anyone of note.
without haki theres no explanation as to why logia types dont just do whatever they want and take over the world
Are we to assume all the world nobels have amazing levels of Haki? Or super powerful logias?

So? It doesn't change the fact that it's a giant deus ex machina and a really shitty one at that. The fights with the admirals will still be huge and all that but they won't be as interesting if the straw hats had to figure out a way to overcome each logia ability. Haki is just such a bullshit half ass power to try and balance things it ends up ensuring that every single future fight against a logia will be completely uninteresting.

I think we should wait and see how it's used. Haki is not an all around solution or the war arc wouldn't have been anywhere near as epic as it was. There's still the possibility of cases like the Crocodile fight.

Haly

Fucking Uchip, now this thread is MangaGAF redux.

Uchip

Banned
The other strawhats won't be fighting logia users.

Robin, Nami, Sanji, Chopper, Franky and Usopp are relegated to fodder. Zorro has Mihawk. Luffy will be the only one fighting anyone of note.

Are we to assume all the world nobels have amazing levels of Haki? Or super powerful logias?

I dont know what he plans for the story so i cant comment
but are you really sure that the strawhats wont be fighting them?

if they fought blackbeards crew it wouldnt be fighting nobody noteworthy
you saw mihawk and the diamond guy damage the logia types, and the phoenix guy even seems to be able to hold magma man off

either way its still bullshit claiming that the admirals arent intimidating as fuck just because haki exists

Ezalc

I think we should wait and see how it's used. Haki is not an all around solution or the war arc wouldn't have been anywhere near as epic as it was. There's still the possibility of cases like the Crocodile fight.

I'm still waiting to hear the reason why Haki was seemingly not used during the war by either side. Except when Cody asked them to stop or whatever.

The only other broken devil fruit I can think of besides light is wind. Though water would be up there as well.

Uchip

Banned
Yes, the only explanation is Kizaru cannot do things faster than his mind can register.

Moshi mooooosh

I'm still waiting to hear the reason why Haki was seemingly not used during the war by either side. Except when Cody asked them to stop or whatever.

The only other broken devil fruit I can think of besides light is wind. Though water would be up there as well.

it was used multiple times? not sure which version you read/saw

Haly

but are you really sure that the strawhats wont be fighting them?
One Piece pairs people off according to power level just like most other shounen series. It's reasonable to expect Oda to do the same if/when the strawhats ever fight the gubbments head on.

Of all the strawhats (excluding luffy), Usopp probably has the best chance against a Logia because Oda puts a lot of effort into his character and he can make up something like "Magma eating plant lolololool"
if they fought blackbeards crew it wouldnt be fighting nobody noteworthy
you saw mihawk and the diamond guy damage the logia types, and the phoenix guy even seems to be able to hold magma man off
Please, Blackbeard is the only one of Blackbeard's crew of any importance. The rest are just random people added to his crew so that Blackbeards vs Strawhats would be nice and even.

But that's the thing. It WAS used. A lot. All 3 admirals used it, Whitebeard used it, most of his commanders used it, the vice admirals used it, etc. It just wasn't completely noticeable because it didn't take the place of the spectacle that is devil fruit abilities. There are very clearly limitations and it might even work as an MP sort of thing in RPG terms.

Uchip

Banned
Please, Blackbeard is the only one of Blackbeard's crew of any importance. The rest are just random people added to his crew so that Blackbeards vs Strawhats would be nice and even.

im not even sure we are reading the same manga

The story is about luffy and his crew , and hes still going to get his ass kicked multiple times like he always has

Dynedom

Sailor Moon is humorous and fabulous max.

It's also a chronically abused property. Not many people have actually seen the original show with proper treatment.

When I found out years later that Zoicite was a man, my head asplode. Stupid YTV!

Also for the record:

Minako > Ami > Michiru > *

Guess I need to catch up a bit here:

Penguindrum - 22

KANBAAAAAA!

Guilty Crown - 09

A bit messy but tolerable. Minimal use of Inori certainly helped this episode.

Ben-To - 10

Fucking yes. I had my doubts but they might be able to salvage this. Also laughing at my point the OP before and then they end up changing the OP. I knew I was right!
Ice Witch being defeated also makes this interesting. Her being constantly invincible would have been boring. Hopefully this leads to a tag team confrontation by the end. I want to see Sato kick ass, dammit!

Un-GO - 09

Man, am I just terrible at following this show or something? Everything seems to move at breakneck speeds to. I think I might need to watch some of these arcs again to appreciate/understand the more?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
One Piece pairs people off according to power level just like most other shounen series. It's reasonable to expect Oda to do the same if/when the strawhats ever fight the gubbments head on.

Of all the strawhats (excluding luffy), Usopp probably has the best chance against a Logia because Oda puts a lot of effort into his character and he can make up something like "Magma eating plant lolololool"

They could always do the team fight shit.

One group has Luffy, One with Zorro, one with Sanji. To break up the big three, etc.

Haly

Well Nami is just going to hide inside Franky or something and it'll be loltastic.

Robin wouldn't even deign to participate in the fight, she'd be off looking for dem ponglyphs.
im not even sure we are reading the same manga
Oh we are. I'm just aware of both its strengths and its flaws.

Dresden

If you're reading One Piece for zany, intricate shonen battles . . . sorry, it doesn't have them.

It has NAKAMAS and HEART and TEARS, though.

Wow just watched gundumu unicorn 4...

Jeeezzuuus. Here is a question. Who would you want to stab the eyes out of more, Guilty Crown MC or Gundam Unicorn MC?

It's not just angst, there is something...more.

ggaaaahhhhh.

Even the mc from Gundam Age is better than this!

Haly

Okay let's sort out something for a sec.

There are gays/lesbians/transexuals. Who are a fine group of people and I have absolutely nothing against them. Salt of the earth some of my best friends etc.

And then there's yuri.

Haly

Strange thing is, he could melt gold but not Luffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom