• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

But Wade says the team needs to play harder so hes helping with leadership and intangibles. Maybe they get Melo to be a stopper next year.

My friend is a really obnoxious Lebron bandwagon fan. Wherever Lebron goes, he's their all-time greatest fan all of a sudden. Anyway, I told him that Wade would lose the Heat the series against the Spurs before this thing even started, and he basically told me I was the dumbest NBA viewer ever.

LOOK WHO IS DUMB NOW!

But man, if LBJ was a true alpha, he'd have bulldogged Wade into playing hard by now. Dude just wants to be a front runner.

I don't know how much I would rely on an 11th year man like Melo. How long before age starts to factor in Melo's play?

I don't even want him to come to LA.

And Lebron has really damaged his lagacy.

He was 10 seconds away last year from being 1-4 in the finals (including this year.)

I dont think history will be kind to him once his body starts to break down.

Jeff-DSA

Why would anybody want Carmelo? He's not a winner. He doesn't elevate his team in the postseason at all. This is a well established issue with him in the NBA. He's like Tracy McGrady, but isn't even likable.

Tom Penny

I don't know how much I would rely on an 11th year man like Melo. How long before age starts to factor in Melo's play?

I don't even want him to come to LA.

He was 10 seconds away last year from being 1-4 in the finals (including this year.)

Peyton is like .500 in the playoffs and 1-2 in the SB and nobody cares.

Eh, I don't know how fair that is. The dude clearly deserves a ton of accolades, and say what you will about the Heat, but 4 years in a row is goddamn impressive.

...Then again, my favorite football team got to the Super Bowl 4 times and never won, sooooo :'(

Eh, I don't know how fair that is. The dude clearly deserves a ton of accolades, and say what you will about the Heat, but 4 years in a row is goddamn impressive.

...Then again, my favorite football team got to the Super Bowl 4 times and never won, sooooo :'(

Good ole' Buffalo being irrelevant.

Jonm1010

Banned
http://wp.me/p3LRnW-1D1g

That is a pretty devastating spotlight on Wade's defense in the Finals. Yikes!

This more then anything else makes me think Wade will not play ball when it comes to restructuring to bring Melo on board.

No way he leaves 42 mil on the table especially after this seems to be his mindset:

"Obviously, you don't have to do anything," Wade said. "From the standpoint of us even coming together, it wasn't anything I had to do. It's what I wanted to do. And will never feel like I have to do this. We all think I worked very hard over my career to earn what I've earned and put myself in that position. So I will never feel like I have to take less after this, or have to do this. It's not my job. It's the job of others around to figure out how to make it work. If I want to be a part of that, then I'll be a part of that. But if I don't, I won't. It's simple as that. I don't feel that pressure at all."

Why would anybody want Carmelo? He's not a winner. He doesn't elevate his team in the postseason at all. This is a well established issue with him in the NBA. He's like Tracy McGrady, but isn't even likable.

I hate Melo as much as the next guy but I do think under the right circumstances he can be effective. He just needs a place that has a pass first PG that is in control of setting up the offense and dictating shots. Thats why I think LA is his best fit. He is friends with CP, listens and respects CP3 and CP3 can reduce some of Melo's offensive blackhole/asshole tendencies. Plus Doc won't put up with any shit.

On the Heat, a team without a PG, he would fall into his same habits and make the Heat's D even worse IMO.

alba

Little is the new Big
We'll get Melo if none of you guys want him, thank you very much! Thibs will teach him a resemblance of D, you'll see :p

Loki

Count of Concision
Holy shit, that is hilarious. :rolllin Mike Tirico is going to great lengths not to bust out laughing.

Some of my favorite lesser known Walton moments:

Halftime show with Walton, Peter Vescey, and John Salley in the studio during a playoff game in 1998 or so; Salley says something like "my 35 year old legs can't do that anymore." Walton deadpans "John, wait until you're 45 like me -- or 55 like Peter." :eek:ldlol: That got laughs from all of them.

Adam Keefe scores one of his only two baskets in the '97 NBA Finals and Walton goes "Adam Keefe, just the latest in a long series of redheads that have dominated the NBA -- Red Kerr, Dave Cowens..." :eek:ldlol: Marv goes "I'm searching for another name..." and Walton goes "Marv, that's good enough."

zychi

Banned
That Tony Romo player.

Tony's at least got heart and plays injured, doesn't get coaches fired, and never demands a trade.

Melo is perfect for New York, a selfish team, ran by a selfish owner, who think they have the best franchise ever, but never win shit. I'd die of laughter if he just drives over the BK bridge and signs with the Nets.

We'll get Melo if none of you guys want him, thank you very much! Thibs will teach him a resemblance of D, you'll see :p

I'm still waiting for Thibs to teach Boozer what defense is and not run all the players into the ground. Thibs was a great signing at the time, but he needs to go.

AkuMifune

Banned
Miami should have gone down 3-0 just to make it fair. 3 games in a row won't be soul-crushing enough for the boring ass Spurs.

I put all my money on the Heat in 6 so I'm out anyway.

How about that World Cup?

Tom Penny

Melo's best fit is easily Chicago but who knows with Rose. He could be toast. Thibs will find a way to hide him on D and make him respectable. They need a scorer and he will get his shots. I wouldn't mind him on Houston to see them always lose in the playoffs because there is only 1 ball for Harden and him and D12 can't cover both their weaknesses on D.

I'm still waiting for Thibs to teach Boozer what defense is and not run all the players into the ground. Thibs was a great signing at the time, but he needs to go.

Love hearing this. It's actually hilarious.

He would be an amazing number 2 with the right pieces around him and you know it. See London 2012. Guy is elite from mid range and in the post and has been shooting over 40% from deep last two seasons. Above average rebounder too, dude is the perfect stretch four from an offensive standpoint.

zychi

Banned
Melo's best fit is easily Chicago but who knows with Rose. He could be toast. Thibs will find a way to hide him on D and make him respectable. They need a scorer and he will get his shots. I wouldn't mind him on Houston to see them always lose in the playoffs because there is only 1 ball for Harden and him and D12 can't cover both their weaknesses on D.

Having Jimmy Butler and Jo average 35+ minutes a game is not ideal. Especially when you know there was 0 chance of the Bulls coming out of the East.

bionic77

This more then anything else makes me think Wade will not play ball when it comes to restructuring to bring Melo on board.

No way he leaves 42 mil on the table especially after this seems to be his mindset:

"Obviously, you don't have to do anything," Wade said. "From the standpoint of us even coming together, it wasn't anything I had to do. It's what I wanted to do. And will never feel like I have to do this. We all think I worked very hard over my career to earn what I've earned and put myself in that position. So I will never feel like I have to take less after this, or have to do this. It's not my job. It's the job of others around to figure out how to make it work. If I want to be a part of that, then I'll be a part of that. But if I don't, I won't. It's simple as that. I don't feel that pressure at all."

I hate Melo as much as the next guy but I do think under the right circumstances he can be effective. He just needs a place that has a pass first PG that is in control of setting up the offense and dictating shots. Thats why I think LA is his best fit. He is friends with CP, listens and respects CP3 and CP3 can reduce some of Melo's offensive blackhole/asshole tendencies. Plus Doc won't put up with any shit.

On the Heat, a team without a PG, he would fall into his same habits and make the Heat's D even worse IMO.
Why should Wade take less?

Superstars in the NBA are incredibly underpaid. It is the bums and role players who get overpaid with dumb contracts.

I have no problem with Wade, Kobe, whoever deciding to play out big ass contracts when they are past their prime. If the owner doesn't want to reload and pay a gigantic luxury tax that is his right too, but I don't know why fans expect the players to take less money to make that happen if they don't want to.

Jonm1010

Banned

If Rose is healthy it could arguably be a better fit then LA but Rose being healthy and the same player ever again is a huge "if."

Tony's at least got heart and plays injured, doesn't get coaches fired, and never demands a trade.

Melo is perfect for New York, a selfish team, ran by a selfish owner, who think they have the best franchise ever, but never win shit. I'd die of laughter if he just drives over the BK bridge and signs with the Nets.

Dantoni got fired because he's a bad coach, Notice hes out of LA too?
Did you watch Carmelo play this season?
Now we're scoffing at 27 points and 8 boards a game on 45% shooting from the field, 40% from three and pretending like that aint shit. Whatever.

Jonm1010

Banned
Why should Wade take less?

Superstars in the NBA are incredibly underpaid. It is the bums and role players who get overpaid with dumb contracts.

I have no problem with Wade, Kobe, whoever deciding to play out big ass contracts when they are past their prime. If the owner doesn't want to reload and pay a gigantic luxury tax that is his right too, but I don't know why fans expect the players to take less money to make that happen if they don't want to.
Huh? I don't expect Wade to take less, in fact I'm arguing the opposite. I think he opts in both years.

zychi

Banned
Dantoni got fired because he's a bad coach, Notice hes out of LA too?
Did you watch Carmelo play this season?
Now we're scoffing at 27 points and 8 boards a game on 45% shooting from the field, 40% from three and pretending like that aint shit. Whatever.

I'm talking about Denver. Or did you forget that happened?

Miami should have gone down 3-0 just to make it fair. 3 games in a row won't be soul-crushing enough for the boring ass Spurs.

I put all my money on the Heat in 6 so I'm out anyway.

How about that World Cup?

If you think the way the Spurs play right now is boring yeah you should stick with other sports.

If there is any note to take from the Spurs, is that a team doesn't need a bunch of overpaid superstars to be successful. Isolation basketball is so overrated. It is supposed to be a team sport and it takes time to make a system like the Spurs. Why chasing superstars like Melo when there are so many other less-known players out there who can play better team ball?

I'm talking about Denver. Or did you forget that happened?

well he forced his way out of Denver obviously, but I dont see why you're bitter about if you're a Nuggets fan. Denver got a nice haul. Wilson Chandler, Mozgov, Gallinari. Thats a decent crop of players there. Melo was already gone by the time Karl was fired in Denver, not sure what you're getting at there.

Tom Penny

Having Jimmy Butler and Jo average 35+ minutes a game is not ideal. Especially when you know there was 0 chance of the Bulls coming out of the East.

Since they weren't coming out of the East why play them at all? Thibs is top 5 coach all day and maximizes his roster. He would get scooped up in a day..and Chicago is probably dumb enough to get rid of him.

do these stats include Most Missed shots in NBA history??? And Kobe doesn't have a second MVP. Hell even the first one was a pity "people think you're great so here you go" type of MVP.

Kobe was easily the MVP in 2008. The fact that a bunch of haters wanted to give it to CP3 for a laugh doesn't mean that would have been the right call.

Jonm1010

Banned
Since they weren't coming out of the East why play them at all? Thibs is top 5 coach all day and maximizes his roster. He would get scooped up in a day..and Chicago is probably dumb enough to get rid of him.

My one knock on Thibs is while he is a great coach he could learn a thing or two from a guy like Pop who is smart to rest his players and make sure not to overexert them. Thibs pushes his players to their maximum limit and is willing to play them through injuries and with that comes both positives and negatives. His method translates to more wins but he raises the risk of long term fatigue and injury for his team.

Jonm1010

Banned
Kobe was easily the MVP in 2008. The fact that a bunch of haters wanted to give it to CP3 for a laugh doesn't mean that would have been the right call.

Easily is stretching it. He may have deserved it but lets not scoff at Paul that season.

Paul had a historical season and carried his team to the second best record in the West, 1 game behind the Lakers, with an arguably less talented roster and a bad coach(one of the biggest jokes to ever win COTY).

That Hornets team doesn't function without Chris Paul. Take him away and Peja rarely sees clean open looks and doesn't achieve his career best 3p%. David West rarely gets his open jumper at the key if not for Pauls execution of the pick and pop or drawing defenders in. Tyson wouldn't have any offensive effectiveness if it weren't for fast break lobs, the pick and roll or passes in the paint for easy dunks which led to his highest scoring season. You can't say that about Kobe's team. Paul was absolutely crucial to every aspect of that teams offensive success and epitomized what "Most Valuable Player" meant.

That team was one shitty role player not playing asshole ball in the closing quarter of a decisive game with the Spurs from going to the conference championship.

No, there's a difference between tired and worn-out.

Remember the 2011 Lakers? They were worn out. Same thing happening here.

This is the culmination of 4 straight Finals appearances. (really, it was the 3 that did them in, but again shitty East).

Look at Wade. He was short on about his first 5 shots that weren't blocked and short on his first 4 FTs (last 2 barely climbing over the rim to go in). He's dead-legged. He's worn out. He looks slow.

The entire team outside of Lebron looks dead-legged. They even looked it a bit in Indy. They've played too much basketball the last 4 seasons and it shows. It's not the same thing as the other teams being tired. Especially with the Spurs who have limited minutes and younger guys playing bigger roles (Leonard, Green, Mills, Splitter).

Kobe was also playing on one knee in 2011.

I really don't remember anybody not being excited when he went to MIA.

But once the old guard said they didn't like it, the attitudes switched.

zychi

Banned
well he forced his way out of Denver obviously, but I dont see why you're bitter about if you're a Nuggets fan. Denver got a nice haul. Wilson Chandler, Mozgov, Gallinari. Thats a decent crop of players there. Melo was already gone by the time Karl was fired in Denver, not sure what you're getting at there.
Not a denver fan. Just dont like melo or the loud mouth organization knicks.

My one knock on Thibs is while he is a great coach he could learn a thing or two from a guy like Pop who is smart to rest his players and make sure not to overexert them. Thibs pushes his players to their maximum limit and is willing to play them through injuries and with that comes both positives and negatives. His method translates to more wins but he raises the risk of long term fatigue and injury for his team.

Chicago doesn't practice much...

zychi

Banned
Yep, top 5 coach who hasnt won anything. Cant make adjustments and got outcoached by Spo(not a diss on spo)

Hes the nba version of dusty baker or andy reid.

Tom Penny

Yep, top 5 coach who hasnt won anything. Cant make adjustments and got outcoached by Spo(not a diss on spo)

Hes the nba version of dusty baker or andy reid.

Yep. Fastest coach to 100 wins who gets to the ECF finals in his first season as head coach then losses D Rose and is expected to win a title the last 2 years.

You win dumbest post of the year award and that is tough to do.

Squalor

DYING!

3WogMD1.gif

Bp-xfHgCUAAWNjI.jpg

Bp8LGEXCQAAWgXU.jpg

zychi

Banned
Yep. Fastest coach to 100 wins who gets to the ECF finals in his first season as head coach then losses D Rose and is expected to win a title the last 2 years.

You win dumbest post of the year award and that is tough to do.

Your thought process is funny.

If that type of coach is so great, then why did Lebron want this man fired:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_(basketball,_born_1970)

Brown As coach:

NBA Coach of the Year (2009)
Eastern Conference champion (2007)
NBA All-Star Game head coach (2009)
As assistant coach:

NBA champion (2003)

Thibs As head coach:

NBA Coach of the Year (2011)
NBA All-Star Game head coach (2012)
As assistant coach:

NBA champion (2008)

Besides the fastest to 100 wins, same accolades. Dude even coached under a better coach in Pop then Thibs did in Doc.

Brown has lost 3 coaching jobs in the time Thibs has been coach AND he coached the best player of this generation.

Series has been a bit of a surprise in terms of outcomes, still being enjoying it.

Die hard Lebron fan, been following him since high school and would love for him to get his threepeat.

On the flip side though I don't have a BSD thing to say about the spurs and they play such a beautiful brand of basketball. I'll be very happy to see Timmy pick up another ring if that is the outcome.

Looking forward to the next game.

Tom Penny

Your thought process is funny.

If that type of coach is so great, then why did Lebron want this man fired:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_(basketball,_born_1970)

Besides the fastest to 100 wins, same accolades. Dude even coached under a better coach in Pop then Thibs did in Doc.

Brown has lost 3 coaching jobs in the time Thibs has been coach AND he coached the best player of this generation.

What's Mike Brown have to do with Thibs? You claim he didn't win anything yet A) has yet to have a team talented enough to win the title and if he did it was his 1st season B) Then he had 2 teams that don't nearly have the talent to win a title but " he didn't win anything " is your logic on how he's not a good coach. Someone is lacking logic and it isn't me. Are you pretending D Rose can hold Lebron's jockstrap and that D Rose going down made the Bulls good enough to win a title?

zychi

Banned
What's Mike Brown have to do with Thibs? You claim he didn't win anything yet A) has yet to have a team talented enough to win the title and if he did it was his 1st season B) Then he had 2 teams that don't nearly have the talent to win a title but " he didn't win anything " is your logic on how he's not a good coach. Someone is lacking logic and it isn't me. Are you pretending D Rose can hold Lebron's jockstrap and that D Rose going down made the Bulls good enough to win a title?
i know you're like MVP and purposely troll and ruin nba threads but thanks for proving my point. Mike brown got fired for winning more, making it to the finals and not injuring his players. Yet thibs is considered better for killing his players and losing in the second round. Derrick got blew out his knee the first time because Thibs plays him when he was already seriously injured. I realllllly wanted the NYK to trade for thibs when that rumor was going around.

Lets play an injured Jimmy Butler for 44 minutes in a meaningless end of the regular season game that has no playoff implications at all.

STAY UP! STAY UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom