• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
maybe Bosh takes a pay cut too
Fuck that. Bosh should opt out
and go to the Spurs — bye Booner

Bosh's ethic and sacrifice is what has made this Heat team tick for the past 4 yrs. Yet he still gets no love. If Bosh were playing for the Spurs he'd be in the conversation for MVP. He has his rings now, he should be looking for respect (folks still debating whether he's a HoF or not, WTF?!). Miami is a team based around irrational hype and con[fidence] men, that's why Chalmers is still getting 25 mpg lol. Now Riley is looking to Melo too and push Bosh to 5th option below old man Wade? Fuck that.

Fuck that. Bosh should opt out
and go to the Spurs — bye Booner

Bosh's ethic and sacrifice is what has made this Heat team tick for the past 4 yrs. Yet he still gets no love. If Bosh were playing for the Spurs he'd be in the conversation for MVP. He has his rings now, he should be looking for respect (folks still debating whether he's a HoF or not, WTF?!). Miami is a team based around irrational hype and con[fidence] men, that's why Chalmers is still getting 25 mpg lol. Now Riley is looking to Melo too and push Bosh to 5th option below old man Wade? Fuck that.
hard to believe bosh could be happy with how he's being used

Doc Rivers is still right

You can let LeBron go off for a ton of points, just keep everyone else in check

I can see LeBron go for 35+ but who else will score

If Spurs pull a Celtics game 6 ECF and go 1-14 from 3 then heat might win, that's how LeBron won that game ;)

Salt from the past :p

Ray Allen was helping out his friends before he was even on the team!

Spurs in 5. My prediction since page 1

The Spurs are going to get it done this year. Last year they were the better team until the last 12 seconds of the 4th quarter in game 6. They overcame OKC aka their worst matchup with 3 blown-out victories. I expect game 1 to be an onslaught by the Spurs and they will close the series in 5.

Jonm1010

Banned
Tony always plays in Summer for France. He has been doing that since U-16 team. So basically he has been playing all year with no break in between for more than a decade.
But you have to admit that the way Pop manages that teams minutes gives them a leg up when it comes to fatigue at the tail end of a long season I.E. the playoffs.

Not to mention I think reducing the starters minutes has allowed the Spurs to develop their bench better then any other team because the stars aren't on he floor as much as other teams and that unit gets a lot of time together to gel.

So when their stars go out, unlike what happens with Miami, the team can just keep on chugging most times. And then it allows Pop the opportunity to start adjusting his rotations with who is having the hot hands that night and either let certain role players play a little longer or change out ones that are having an off night. Miami can't do that. They pretty much have to have James on the court if they want to play at a respectable level. And during the regular season they are riding James with 40+ minute games and then asking him to step it up in the finals.

Blackhead

Redarse
Miami can't do that. They pretty much have to have James on the court if they want to play at a respectable level. And during the regular season they are riding James with 40+ minute games and then asking him to step it up in the finals.
That's not entirely true. Bosh+Wade+Allen+scrubs is still better than most teams in the league (certainly most teams in the East). LeBron plays 40+ minute games all season because he wants $tats and he wants MVP awards. Spurs don't care about those

Jonm1010

Banned
That's not entirely true. Bosh+Wade+Allen+scrubs is still better than most teams in the league (certainly most teams in the East). LeBron plays 40+ minute games all season because he wants $tats and he wants MVP awards. Spurs don't care about those
I should of prefaced that last paragraph by saying I meant in these finals. I think San Antonio's approach is perfectly designed to elevate their teams bench play and keep players fresh.

The Heat just try and brute force their way through and it catches up to them.

More Boris love...

http://deadspin.com/heres-a-funny-anecdote-about-a-young-absurdly-athletic-1591135909

"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [Stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult.'"

But you have to admit that the way Pop manages that teams minutes gives them a leg up when it comes to fatigue at the tail end of a long season I.E. the playoffs.

Not to mention I think reducing the starters minutes has allowed the Spurs to develop their bench better then any other team because the stars aren't on he floor as much as other teams and that unit gets a lot of time together to gel.

So when their stars go out, unlike what happens with Miami, the team can just keep on chugging most times. And then it allows Pop the opportunity to start adjusting his rotations with who is having the hot hands that night and either let certain role players play a little longer or change out ones that are having an off night. Miami can't do that. They pretty much have to have James on the court if they want to play at a respectable level. And during the regular season they are riding James with 40+ minute games and then asking him to step it up in the finals.

That is what special about the Spurs. They never rely on certain individuals and their system allows Pop to plug any players in to give their starter a rest. It's superb management. Something that organization like the Heat and OKC fails miserably. They just run their stars to the ground to achieve anything. I've seen times and times again when fans claim that a player like LeBron/Durant/Westbrook can play big minutes and never get tired. We all witness what happened. They are human and human gets tired. That's why I brought up Tony Parker. He plays competitive basketball all year for so many years but with superb Spur coaching staffs it allow him to stay in shape. If LeBron had to play as many tournaments as Parker did he would have torn his ACL in the age of 28. He and his team are as tired as they are right now because of poor coaching staffs and management. They all should take the blame.

Tony always plays in Summer for France. He has been doing that since U-16 team. So basically he has been playing all year with no break in between for more than a decade.

Does anybody know why he does that? That sounds crazy to me. He's elite as hell, so it's obviously not a money thing. Just wants more playing time?

LOL what the fuck

Does anybody know why he does that? That sounds crazy to me. He's elite as hell, so it's obviously not a money thing. Just wants more playing time?

Patriotism. It's very common for many international super stars including Ginobili and Yao Ming.

Anyway, should we pay attention to who might win the MVP?

Hint
Bp-wKsACQAAl6eR.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
I should of prefaced that last paragraph by saying I meant in these finals. I think San Antonio's approach is perfectly designed to elevate their teams bench play and keep players fresh.

The Heat just try and brute force their way through and it catches up to them.

That is what special about the Spurs. They never rely on certain individuals and their system allows Pop to plug any players in to give their starter a rest. It's superb management. Something that organization like the Heat and OKC fails miserably. They just run their stars to the ground to achieve anything. I've seen times and times again when fans claim that a player like LeBron/Durant/Westbrook can play big minutes and never get tired. We all witness what happened. They are human and human gets tired. That's why I brought up Tony Parker. He plays competitive basketball all year for so many years but with superb Spur coaching staffs it allow him to stay in shape. If LeBron had to play as many tournaments as Parker did he would have torn his ACL in the age of 28. He and his team are as tired as they are right now because of poor coaching staffs and management. They all should take the blame.

o9FLI86.jpg

I'm sure the Spo, along with every other coach/GM in the league, would love to be able to copy the Spurs model and have a great passing offense with a hard working defense and a deep bench. I'm sure Spo would love to be able to force Wade to concentrate on defense and bench him when he fucks up. But most basketball Stars would not buy into such a system. LeBron would not be happy spreading his minutes, reducing his $tats if it meant Bosh/Ray Allen might be in the conversation for finals MVP. And that's before finding a star like Ginobli happy to play a 6th man role — Harden had the same job at OKC and left for more money instead of staying for the chance of rings. Spurs cultivates selfless stars which is an anomaly in the NBA

Maybe because he loves playing basketball and representing his country?

It was more of a 'he could get hurt and thus piss off the Spurs a whole hell of a lot', but since he does it every year, I figure they know the deal.

Patriotism. It's very common for many international super stars including Ginobili and Yao Ming.

Anyway, should we pay attention to who might win the MVP?

Hint

Ahhh, that makes sense. I forgot about that.

Where the Kawhi State Farm at

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Let me say something before I forget. Actually, I'll let Skip say it:

http://youtu.be/lLvxQ-S79Ts?t=4m1s

Starts at 4:00 minutes, lasts 45 seconds.

Game 5 has all the makings of a classic trap game. So much so that I'm picking Miami to win Game 5. If I had a bunch of money to spend I'd put it on the Heat to win Game 5. That's how confident I am about this. Everyone thinking the Spurs are going to win and close it out, all the analysts, commentary, just the whole atmosphere of the series is that it's over. It's a classic trap. Miami will win Game 5. Skip is right on the money with this one.
I hope Miami forces game 6, but if Skip is saying it, I'm not too sure about it. :-/

slabrock

Banned
o9FLI86.jpg

I'm sure the Spo, along with every other coach/GM in the league, would love to be able to copy the Spurs model and have a great passing offense with a hard working defense and a deep bench. I'm sure Spo would love to be able to force Wade to concentrate on defense and bench him when he fucks up. But most basketball Stars would not buy into such a system. LeBron would not be happy spreading his minutes, reducing his $tats if it meant Bosh/Ray Allen might be in the conversation for finals MVP. And that's before finding a star like Ginobli happy to play a 6th man role — Harden had the same job at OKC and left for more money instead of staying for the chance of rings. Spurs cultivates selfless stars which is an anomaly in the NBA
That's the reason the spurs build their team from overseas talent. AAU ball has trained so many kids to just dump it to the star and get out of the way.

Turning the NBA into a floppers league is my guess.

How's that a bullshit narrative? I don't care about the Heat and hope they lose (fuck Wade's bitch ass) but LeBron has a joke of a team.

It's even more insulting when you remember people cried about "this is like Magic, Bird and Jordan teaming up!" as if Bosh is even 1/10th as talented as those guys, or that Wade is even 1/4th.

WHEN WILL LEBRON FINALLY GET THE HELP HE NEEDS TO WIN?

Kobe Bryant, (the ballhog) even managed a repeat without a 2 other franchise players and the best 3 point shooter of all time.

Maybe LeBron should go to OKC or the 5pur5...maybe then he will finally get the help he needs to win consistently.

What I would love NY to do is call up the Thunder and offer them Melo and/or Chandler. Thunder has a lot of young talent rotting on a win now team. I would take back Perkins contract if we got a lot of young talent and picks in return. Then the Thunder can run and gun to their heart's content.

Wade needs to play less minutes next season and lose a lot of his size. The guy needs to be a 25mpg guy next season. The heat rotation will set around him being in that role. He should look at what Manu does on the Spurs as a facilitator and scorer and try to mimic that.

Wade also needs to lose a lot of weight. His first step is going and the burst he used to have in his first few steps isn't there anymore. Kobe waited too long to drop weight and that hurt him. Wade shouldn't make the same mistake.
Listen to yourself. What young talent?

Squalor

If the Spurs win tonight, whoever has the best game among Diaw, Duncan, Leonard, and Parker will win MVP.

Conversely, can we give a coach MVP or a whole team for that matter?

Pimpwerx

Game day, and it's do or die. Haven't felt this level of uncertainty since 2011. Not even last year, when I was sure we had it in the bag. Three more games for another great summer. Bron looked very relaxed in that snippet ABC showed. I like that. History is not the future. No reason Miami can't be the first team to come back from down 3-1. Believe, HEAT Nation. Let's go HEAT! PEACE.

o9FLI86.jpg

I mean....

This is what happens when you put most of the team's salary into 3 guys. You have to settle for what you can afford for help. And the prospect of adding Carmelo Anthony becomes even more ridiculous. Now you have even less money to address your real problem areas (PG, center, bench at all positions) and you make your defense *worse*! The Heat need help on defense, not offense. That is, they need defensive stoppers who can play a little offense to augment the "big 3". Pat Riley has mortgaged the future to win now. It appears he's going to continue to do that. As a result, their bench will remain shallow and they'll continue to rely on LeBron playing 40 minutes every night.

Fun fact: the Heat's big three have played 10,000 more minutes than the Spurs big three over the last 3 (or maybe it was 4) seasons. That's the choice they made, and we're seeing the results.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I mean....

This is what happens when you put most of the team's salary into 3 guys. You have to settle for what you can afford for help. And the prospect of adding Carmelo Anthony becomes even more ridiculous. Now you have even less money to address your real problem areas (PG, center, bench at all positions) and you make your defense *worse*! The Heat need help on defense, not offense. That is, they need defensive stoppers who can play a little offense to augment the "big 3". Pat Riley has mortgaged the future to win now. It appears he's going to continue to do that. As a result, their bench will remain shallow and they'll continue to rely on LeBron playing 40 minutes every night.

Fun fact: the Heat's big three have played 10,000 more minutes than the Spurs big three over the last 3 (or maybe it was 4) seasons. That's the choice they made, and we're seeing the results.
4 straight Finals and two (possibly three) straight championships? They made the right choice.

Squalor

The Heat's Big Three also have an average age of 30.3 years old compared to the Spurs's Big Three's average age of 35.3.

4 straight Finals and two (possibly three) straight championships? They made the right choice.

It is pedestrian by the hype that went into putting this team together.

This team wasn't built to go 2-2 in 4 years in the Finals.

Never forget: "Not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7..."

Yeah, I agree with the 2 championships in 4 years being underachieving for this Big 3. Stated this before on this thread as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
More like Lakers/Pistons in 2004. Lakers lost gm1, snuck out a victory in gm 2 and got dominated the next 3 games even as people kept thinking they'd turn it around.

Only difference is we didn't have HCA and never got it back to LA. In fact, that was the only time the lower-seeded team won all 3 in the 2-3-2 format

That series is so painful cos the refs let the Pistons get away with murder because of their defensive reputation. At least in 2008, the Celtics were the better team...

I'm covering my French fries right now with the salt you're handing out.

That was a great series because of how everyone picked LA. Colin Cowherd's specific reason for picking the Lakers? "They have more moxie."

zychi

Banned
WHEN WILL LEBRON FINALLY GET THE HELP HE NEEDS TO WIN?

Kobe Bryant, (the ballhog) even managed a repeat without a 2 other franchise players and the best 3 point shooter of all time.

Maybe LeBron should go to OKC or the 5pur5...maybe then he will finally get the help he needs to win consistently.

Kobe didn't have Shaq or Gasol?
Didn't he lose with Gary Payton AND Karl Malone on his team?
Robert Horry and Derek Fisher bailing him out?
6/24 game

Lebron isn't selfish like Kobe, The Kobe stans seem to forget what actually happened in LAland during Kobe's era. His second Finals MVP should've gone to Gasol.

2010 -- Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
Bryant became the first player since former Lakers teammate Shaquille O'Neal to win Finals MVP honors in back-to-back seasons. Though his scoring was down from the previous season's Finals (28.6 ppg vs. 32.4 ppg), he was instrumental in the Game 7 win over the Celtics, pulling down 15 rebounds to go with 23 points(mostly from the free throw as this was the 6/24 game) in L.A.'s 83-79 victory.

Espi

Banned
worst thing about this Finals is it's 99% about "lol lebron" and not acknowledging how the Spurs have been the best organization for nearly two decades.

effzee

Won't be posting the during the game because I'll have friends over but prediction time:

Before the series began I had Spurs in 6 but it's over tonight in 5. Never expected this kind of domination especially after how well the Heat played in games 1 and 2. Spurs win by 10+. Congratulations to Duncan and company in advance!

Miami is going to have major changes all over their roster. Even if the big 3 stay together, I think the team overall has gotten super lazy and even their role players who use to be all energy guys who played D have gotten complacent.

ISOM

6/24 game

Lebron isn't selfish like Kobe, The Kobe stans seem to forget what actually happened in LAland during Kobe's era. His second Finals MVP should've gone to Gasol.

Bryant became the first player since former Lakers teammate Shaquille O'Neal to win Finals MVP honors in back-to-back seasons. Though his scoring was down from the previous season's Finals (28.6 ppg vs. 32.4 ppg), he was instrumental in the Game 7 win over the Celtics, pulling down 15 rebounds to go with 23 points(mostly from the free throw as this was the 6/24 game) in L.A.'s 83-79 victory.

How about you post kobe's and gasol's final stats if you think the final mvp should of gone to gasol. That is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.

Yes, he had Gasol or Shaq, not both at the same time and certainly not 2 franchise players like Bosh and Wade along with the greatest 3 point shooter of all the times.

Are you seriously trying to compare ring chasing, end of their careers, GP and Kaaaahl Malones (who if you remember, was hurt for that Finals series in 2004) to Wade and Bosh? LOL

Horry and Fisher bailed the LAKERS out and were role players, neither was considered a member of a Big 3, ever.

6/24 game

Lakers won that game, right? At the end of the day, I couldn't care less in the dude shot 2/37, so long as the LAKERS chipped.

Gasol gets the MVP and the Lakers still win? I am more that cool with that!
What does that have to do with the fact that LeBron, the non-selfish guy, is failing to make his team mates better in this Finals series?

Not even sure why you posted this. We all know his stats for Game 7 and as Laker fans, WE DON'T CARE. We won tha chip, that is all that matters.

The only reason I even mentioned Kobe is because all these people run around here talking LeBron is the GOAT. Let me be clear, Kobe is NOT the GOAT. (hell, he isn't even my GOAT Laker) but if LeBron loses this series, he will in fact be no better in a 4 year span of winning championships than ballhoggin, shitty teammate, quitter, rapist Kobe Bryant.

He will be 2-2 in 4 years, just like that Bean--only he will have done it with a far better team and higher expectations.

That is a fact.

Really wish the Spurs had gotten one last rebound in Game 6 last year to hold LeBron to one. The Clyde Drexler comparisons would have been really fun. As it is we'll have to settle for Isiah Thomas :/

Darkman M

6/24 game

I see you're still with the dumb shit, everyone can't be drexler.

Pimpwerx

Yeah, I agree with the 2 championships in 4 years being underachieving for this Big 3. Stated this before on this thread as well.
LOL. These two posts actually happened.

Hold me, Heat Nation. I don't know how I can go on with the shame this team has brought us. PEACE.

LOL. These two posts actually happened.

Hold me, Heat Nation. I don't know how I can go on with the shame this team has brought us. PEACE.

I should go dig up some old Pimpwerx posts on how the Heat were gonna wreck the league for years when the "Big 3" raised up on those platforms, with the fog machines and all that...now that his squad is in the brink of getting closed out for the 2nd time in 4 years, he is cool with winning just 2 chips. LOL

At least MiamiWesker is a real fan.

#stayfree

I should go dig up some old Pimpwerx posts on how the Heat were gonna wreck the league for years when the "Big 3" raised up on those platforms, with the fog machines and all that...now that his squad is in the brink of getting closed out for the 2nd time in 4 years, he is cool with winning just 2 chips. LOL

#stayfree
Truthbombs
PEACE

Hmmm...

The 1980-1991 Lakers went to 9 of 12 finals and never won more than 2 in a row. In fact they only won back to back once in that stretch. I wonder do most of you think they have "failed" as well?

#stayfree

God damn

RedAssedApe

Banned

#stayfree

he's just reflecting the state of mind of Lebron...

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/playoffs/2014/06/14/20140614-media-day-lebron.nba//

At 11 min mark his "its just basketball" came across as to me as "I don't think we can win this series". At least Lebron is at peace.

Hmmm...

The 1980-1991 Lakers went to 9 of 12 finals and never won more than 2 in a row. In fact they only won back to back once in that stretch. I wonder do most of you think they have "failed" as well?

Nobody made LeBron say, "Not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5..."

He made it sound like this would be easy, in fact, he actually said as much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT-I8jQDQ7c

"I mean, once the game starts, it's gonna be easy." - LeBron James

You aren't running off "not 7, not..." without winning multiples in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom