• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't he just playing around anyways,i never really took that seriously.

Wat?

He immediately clarifies by saying he isn't trying to gas up the crowd with that talk, but in fact that is actually how he feels.

The link is right there, man.

Pat Riley has that look on his face (in the video) because he knows winning championships is anything but "easy".

Nobody made LeBron say, "Not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5..."

He made it sound like this would be easy, in fact, he actually said as much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT-I8jQDQ7c

"I mean, once the game starts, it's gonna be easy." - LeBron James

You aren't running off "not 7, not..." without winning multiples in a row.

He's already won multiples in a row.

Typing too fast, I mean to say is that he has multiple titles but it seems like to you they will only count if all of them are in a row.

How about you post kobe's and gasol's final stats if you think the final mvp should of gone to gasol. That is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.

Nope. As a Celtics fan I gotta say Gasol was ripped out of a FMVP. Celtic fans were fine with Kobe chucking away. We were scared of Gasol and rightfully so. He put a dagger in every run the Celtics took throughout that series. Pau only had one bad game the whole series, imo, otherwise the guy was awesome. Kobe had two or three really bad games off the top of my head.

There are plenty of objective people who believe that in retrospect, and there were plenty of Celtic fans who were shocked to see Kobe get the FMVP when it happened.

He's already won multiples in a row.

So did the Lakers of 1987-88, which you referenced. Only once, in 9 years of getting there. You made my point without even realizing it. Winning championships isn't some "easy" thing you do.

Shit is hard work. If a great like Magic gets there 9 times and only wins it 5 of those times, that should tell you something about "easy". Pat Riley knew it.

LeBron was speaking like a kid who had only made a cameo appearance in the Finals prior to signing with Miami, so yeah, he had absolutely no fucking idea what he was talking about when he described the process as "easy".

Winning championships isn't easy, even though some of the previous greats made it appear that way.

Sandfox

Hmmm...

The 1980-1991 Lakers went to 9 of 12 finals and never won more than 2 in a row. In fact they only won back to back once in that stretch. I wonder do most of you think they have "failed" as well?

The Heat won't be able to do that given the competition, their ages, and the fact they we're already seeing some decline in the big 3.

So did the Lakers of 1987-88, which you referenced. Only once, in 9 years of getting there. You made my point without even realizing it. Winning championships isn't some "easy" thing you do.

Shit is hard work. If a great like Magic gets there 9 times and only wins it 5 of those times, that should tell you something about "easy". Pat Riley knew it.

LeBron was speaking like a kid who had only made a cameo appearance in the Finals prior to signing with Miami, so yeah, he had absolutely no fucking idea what he was talking about when he described the process as "easy".

Winning championships isn't easy, even though some of the previous greats made it appear that way.

So, he's been to the finals every year since he's made that statement and will likely have a 50 percent average in them. What exactly is he failing to do? Its not like he said, "We'll win the next 7 in a row." I don't get your point. He acted like it was easy and then proceeds to win half of them that have been held since that statement.

The only thing I can offer to this conversation is that I found it absolutely hilarious that Payton AND Malone went super cheap to get on the Lakers and get a ring, and not only did they fail, Malone never played in it!

dohohohohoo

The only thing I can offer to this conversation is that I found it absolutely hilarious that Payton AND Malone went super cheap to get on the Lakers and get a ring, and not only did they fail, Malone never played in it!

dohohohohoo

They were cheap because they were clearly past their prime...

At least Payton got his

"We're not going down. We're going to win this game tonight," Bosh said Sunday. "We're going to come. We prepare like we need to do. Plain and simple, we're going to win this game."

Asked if he was guaranteeing a victory, Bosh said: "I don't care about guarantees. We're just going to win the game."

This is just like I've predicted. I can feel a Heat win tonight. I can smell it. Sigh...

So, he's been to the finals every year since he's made that statement and will likely have a 50 percent average in them. What exactly is he failing to do? Its not like he said, "We'll win the next 7 in a row." I don't get your point. He acted like it was easy and then proceeds to win half of them that have been held since that statement.

Let's assume he loses this year, ok? He told Miami he was winning 7 for them. So, let's look at the landscape of things. He will be 30 this year. Let's assume he can play at a high level for another 5 years, with no injuries, before we see a decline. That puts him @ 35.

He has 2 chips now.

Are you saying you think he is pulling off a 5 peat? OKC is coming. SAS are still here. Pacers are reconfiguring. GSW are coming. JV Lakers are coming. Portland is coming. Houston has a shot. Chicago will regoup.

Where does he get these other 5 chips from to fulfill his own prophecy? Let's say he plays till he is 37.

Is he winning 5 chips out of the next 7 years? 8 years? 9 years? Is Wade gone? Bosh?

Like I said, winning chips isn't easy and he was yapping.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The Heat won't be able to do that given the competition, their ages, and the fact they we're already seeing some decline in the big 3.
What competition? The East is as dead as ever. The Pacers somehow got worse, and the Bulls' saving grace is the return of a player who just missed his third straight playoffs. The West will get weaker as the Spurs may disband after this, and the Thunder are easy pickings for this Heat team.

Lebron isn't selfish like Kobe, The Kobe stans seem to forget what actually happened in LAland during Kobe's era. His second Finals MVP should've gone to Gasol.

No it shouldn't have. That's a bunch of revisionism. Kobe had a much more consistent series than Pau. The MVP doesn't just go to the guy who plays the best in game 7.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Let's assume he loses this year, ok? He told Miami he was winning 7 for them. So, let's look at the landscape of things. He will be 30 this year. Let's assume he can play at a high level for another 5 years, with no injuries, before we see a decline. That puts him @ 35.

He has 2 chips now.

Are you saying you think he is pulling off a 5 peat? OKC is coming. SAS are still here. Pacers are reconfiguring. GSW are coming. JV Lakers are coming. Portland is coming. Houston has a shot. Chicago will regoup.

Where does he get these other 5 chips from to fulfill his own prophecy? Let's say he plays till he is 37.

Is he winning 5 chips out of the next 7 years? 8 years? 9 years? Is Wade gone? Bosh?

You do realize that these Finals aren't over yet, right? I want the Spurs to win, but the Heat could come back.

Sandfox

What competition? The East is as dead as ever. The Pacers somehow got worse, and the Bulls' saving grace is the return of a player who just missed his third straight playoffs. The West will get weaker as the Spurs may disband after this, and the Thunder are easy pickings for this Heat team.

The west is just going to get stronger every season and certain teams in the east look to have a lot of promise going forward. Miami looks worse this year than they ever have and the team is just going to continue to get worse unless they make major changes to their team.

It is pedestrian by the hype that went into putting this team together.

This team wasn't built to go 2-2 in 4 years in the Finals.

Never forget: "Not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7..."

What if they go 3-1?

Miami had a real bad week of basketball. Two days off, they'll win tonight.

He has 2 chips now.

So let's say he sticks to his 50 percent average and wins three more in Miami. Then what, you'll say he's failed because he won 5 chips? Its like you're saying that if he doesn't win 7 he's not great. He's already a multiple championship winning, multiple MVP winning first ballot hall of famer.

What superstar you know that doesn't say hey'll win every game they play let alone championships. Some of y'all sound real foolish.

So let's say he sticks to his 50 percent average and wins three more in Miami. Then what, you'll say he's failed because he won 5 chips? Its like you're saying that if he doesn't win 7 he's not great. He's already a multiple championship winning, multiple MVP winning first ballot hall of famer.

What superstar you know that doesn't say hey'll win every game they play let alone championships. Some of y'all sound real foolish.

He's just salty Lakers are not playing.

Link me where any other superstar, including the other 2 on that stage, listed out winning 7 chips and said it would be easy.

I'll wait while you look.

He's just salty Lakers are not playing.

Naw, our deal with the Basketball gods is a decade of dominance, followed by one in the wilderness. We Laker fans have accepted this trade off.

Link me where any other superstar, including the other 2 on that stage, listed out winning 7 chips and said it would be easy.

I'll wait while you look.

Naw, our deal with the Basketball gods is a decade of dominance, followed by one in the wilderness. We Laker fans have accepted this trade off.

Doesn't really matter. I'm sure if when he retires having won like 4 titles you'll say, "Yeah but you said you'd win 7." You'll sound like a fool then and you do now. But then again I try not to hold people to foolish things that they say when their young, LeBron included.

I understand, but it's just a far fetched statement. You can't deem him a failure or success based on some random ass statement he made during some silly introduction show.

Who made him say such a stupid thing? He could have said, we are here to win, period or some shit like that. He is the one that decided to assign a number for some idiotic reason.

He has only himself to blame for that shit.

Who made him say such a stupid thing? He could have said, we are here to win, period or some shit like that. He is the one that decided to assign a number for some idiotic reason.

He has only himself to blame for that shit.

Why is it stupid to say you'll win as many rings as possible?

Would've been dope, determination, un matched intensity if Kobe said it though.

Doesn't really matter. I'm sure if when he retires having won like 4 titles you'll say, "Yeah but you said you'd win 7." You'll sound like a fool then and you do now. But then again I try not to hold people to foolish things that they say when their young, LeBron included.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

in other words, Lincoln was saying, STFU.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
"We're not going down. We're going to win this game tonight," Bosh said Sunday. "We're going to come. We prepare like we need to do. Plain and simple, we're going to win this game."

Asked if he was guaranteeing a victory, Bosh said: "I don't care about guarantees. We're just going to win the game."

This is just like I've predicted. I can feel a Heat win tonight. I can smell it. Sigh...
Oh pleeeeease.... Bosh and his Heat let Boris Diaw style on them all night in THEIR FUCKING HOUSE FOR THE SECOND TIME IN A ROW, but now... NOW they're coming to play tonight. Now they're serious!

Yeah, I'm sure the Spurs, the team with a small forward that's out playing the best player on the planet on both ends of the floor, and could be on their way to a sweep if they made their god damn free-throws in game 2, are shaking in their fucking boots right now. Give me a break.

Look, the Heat could very well win tonight and extend this series on some fluke shit. Stranger things have happened. It's definitely all possible but it would only delay the inevitable... this series is over regardless.

Squalor

While I do agree LeBron put his foot in his mouth at that ceremony (because he obviously did), it was also obvious that he wasn't being serious. The guy was excited and got caught up in the moment.

No logical person was ever actually holding him to that statement. Of course, there are so many illogical people in here, it makes sense it's such an issue.

While I do agree LeBron put his foot in his mouth at that ceremony (because he obviously did), it was also obvious that he wasn't being serious. The guy was excited and got caught up in the moment.

No logical person was ever actually holding him to that statement. Of course, there are so many illogical people in here, it makes sense it's such an issue.

Wade and Bosh just smiled it off when he said that shit. They weren't co- signing on that nonsense.

Pat Riley was stonefaced.

Pat Riley, one of the GOAT coaches learned his lesson after putting his team on the hook to repeat, much less win 7.

The pep rally "promise" was stupid and ridiculous the moment it happened. Not really seeing the need to mock it now. Who actually believed him when he said they were winning 8+ championships?

It was more funny to mock him after they lost to the Mavs since he didn't say "not zero". Now it just seems bitter to bring it up just because they're going to win 2 in 4 instead of 3 in 4 or 4 in 4.

Squalor

Wade and Bosh just smiled it off when he said that shit. They weren't co- signing on that nonsense.

Pat Riley was stonefaced.

Pat Riley, one of the GOAT coaches learned his lesson after putting his team on the hook to repeat, much less win 7.
Everything you just posted is proof for my point . . .
The pep rally "promise" was stupid and ridiculous the moment it happened. Not really seeing the need to mock it now. Who actually believed him when he said they were winning 8+ championships?

It was more funny to mock him after they lost to the Mavs since he didn't say "not zero". Now it just seems bitter to bring it up just because they're going to win 2 in 4 instead of 3 in 4 or 4 in 4.
People with nothing to do just like to throw around vitriol at LeBron as if he hasn't been the best player in the league for the last five or six years and won't continue to be for a few more, which he will.

Squalor

Proof of your point would have been Riley laughing, realizing the joke.

Riles was stonefaced. He knows you don't say stupid shit like that.
Riley, a logical person, wasn't taking it seriously.

Sure, he knew LeBron was putting his foot in his mouth, which I said, because he was swept up in the very exciting moment, but Riley didn't bring LeBron and Bosh to Miami to not win multiple championships, which they haven't done. They have won, and they've put themselves in contention twice more.

I already said it wasn't a good idea, but the fact that LeBron haters hold onto that as if it were some sort of legitimate criticism of him as a player is just sad. Seriously, you people need to let go.

Damn, it's pathetic I have to be so reasonable about this in the face of such ridiculousness when I want the Spurs to win tonight . . .

People with nothing to do just like to throw around vitriol at LeBron as if he hasn't been the best player in the league for the last five or six years and won't continue to be for a few more, which he will.

Let's go with your "best player in the league" claim. we will go 6 years, k?

2008 - Lost in the conference semis
2009 - Lost to Dwight Howard (and SVG)
2010 - Lost to the Czzz
2011 - Lost to the Mavs
2012 - Beat OKC in a shortened season
2013 - Beat the 5pur5, off a clutch shot by Jesus.
2014 - 1 game away from going 2-3 in the Finals.

Best player in the league could go 2-2 in the Finals in 6 years. WOW. Such amaze!

Excuse me if I'm not impressed.

Riley, a logical person, wasn't taking it seriously.

Sure, he knew LeBron was putting his foot in his mouth, which I said, because he was swept up in the very exciting moment, but Riley didn't bring LeBron and Bosh to Miami to not win multiple championships, which they haven't done. They have won, and they've put themselves in contention twice more.

I already said it wasn't a good idea, but the fact that LeBron haters hold onto that as if it were some sort of legitimate criticism of him as a player is just sad. Seriously, you people need to let go.

Damn, it's pathetic I have to be so reasonable about this in the face of such ridiculousness when I want the Spurs to win tonight . . .

I agree. Riley did bring them together to win a lot.

All he had to do was say, "We are here to win." Period.

2010 - Lost to the Czzz
2011 - Lost to the Mavs

Best player in the league could go 2-2 in the Finals in 6 years. WOW. Such amaze!

4 MVPs and 2 rings in that time. Why the fuck are you so salty?

chessnut

2010 - Lost to the Czzz
2011 - Lost to the Mavs

I thought basketball is a team sport, guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom