• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team wasn't great, but it wasn't shitty either. They were good enough to be regular season champs AND be the favorites to win it all at their peak, but couldn't get over the hump.

Many legends faced the same hurdles before winning their championship. Did they run? No.

The Celtics weren't getting any younger, and LeBron was either one player or maybe even just a clutch bone in his body away from winning it had he stayed in Cleveland -- which would've meant so much more than any championship in Miami.

That team had no chance to win Vs the West. They were already hitting above their weight with LeBron heroics. So many falsehoods being used by people trying to distort the past. Those teams were overachievers in great part because of LeBron.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Jesus fuck Game 7 June 20th?

They really want to push the Finals into or around 4th of July by the way the keep pushing these dates

nns3d

The fact that the Cavs have gotten 4 #1 draft picks in the last 11 years should tell you alot about how well the organization is ran lol

People who want to watch competitive, hard-won victories instead of "LOL let's break basketball just because we can."

It's not at all strange that nobody outside of Miami's ephemeral so-called fanbase is going to be very excited about a team doing what it was supposed to do.

the NBA isnt responsible for shitty front offices making bad decisions over and over and causing their star talent to bail. (i.e. Minnesota) Nor is it a requirement that front offices stand pat while some teams that drafted well, like san antonio or okc, run over the rest of the league. if you're talking about Miami machine gunning its way through joke eastern conference matchups, thats a playoff seeding/conference problem that the new commissioner said he wants to address

BadAss2961

And where was this player coming from to play with Lebron? You are talking about the Cavs here. One of the worst management in recent sports history. How have they been since him?
Maybe he simply could've done what Wade did, and gotten someone to join him in Cleveland instead of the other way around. Had he just sold Bosh on Cleveland, that could've done it after awhile.

I mean, how much can you really knock Cleveland's management. It's not easy putting together championship teams when you're not one of the major franchises or cities that attract superstars.
That team had no chance to win Vs the West. They were already hitting above their weight with LeBron heroics. So many falsehoods being used by people trying to distort the past. Those teams were overachievers in great part because of LeBron.

It was a team built around him. Just because there was no other star doesn't mean the team was garbage.

Dwight had exactly the same kind of team, and beat LeBron with his.

zychi

Banned
Every team colludes pre-free agency. Rondo just did it yesterday with Love.

Kobe did it with Pau.

Riley did it with Shaq

Phil just got fined for Fisher

Bulls fans tell Rose to try and collude for free agents.

Everyone in the Nba does it. Everyone was doing it the summer Lebron left Cle. Stop being salty about Lebron not going to your team.

Maybe he simply could've done what Wade did, and gotten someone to join him in Cleveland instead of the other way around. Had he just sold Bosh on Cleveland, that could've done it after awhile.

I mean, how much can you really knock Cleveland's management. It's not easy putting together championship teams when you're not one of the major franchises or cities that attract superstars.

People with middle class jobs are leaving Cleveland, let alone millionaires.

But I get it, players should have no choice or agency. If they're lucky enough like Magic, Jordan, and Bird were to get good teammates, good for them. If not, they should simply wallow away in obscurity, especially if their GM is horrible.

zychi

Banned

Cleveland dint have the cap space because of the stupid trades they made earlier that season. Comic sans is a terrible owner, and i dont blame lebron for leaving, lbjs only fault was the decision. Just dumb.

Jesus fuck Game 7 June 20th?

They really want to push the Finals into or around 4th of July by the way the keep pushing these dates
Hasn't it always ended around then? I remember as a kid hoping a game would be on my birthday, June 18, but it would usually miss by a day or two.

Redd

It's like people forgot that Kobe wasn't drafted into the Lakers but basically demanded to be traded to them. And is anyone ever giving shaq shit for leaving orlando and going to play with Kobe?

Naw, because reasons.

I remember this. Hate hate hated how Shaq left the Orlando Magic with a good supporting cast of teammates because he was salty he couldn't get past Jordan and the Bulls in the East. I still remember how salty Anfernee Hardaway looked sitting next to Shaq at the Olympic games.

This is the same Shaq that left Miami because he thought they were garbage and it was really because he was out of shape and didn't want to lose weight and practice. Never could like a player that abandons a team because he thinks they're garbage. I guess it's why I can see why Cleveland fans and LeBron haters want him to fail.

Still think Shaq was far worse at it though. All the gifts in the world a center could hope for and he just got lazy. He could've won a lot more rings imo.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hasn't it always ended around then? I remember as a kid hoping a game would be on my birthday, June 18, but it would usually miss by a day or two.

I think the worst it got was like 5 days before June ended but that was due to a shortened season and playoffs got pushed back by 2 weeks to accommodate the regular season

I remember Finals Game 7 being done with right before or after Father's Day, so like the 14th would be cut off

Now the 20th and if they even push the break in between games the playoff rounds even a extra day or two, the damn thing will really end up on like July 2nd or 3rd

Can you imagine Finals finishing like a week before Summer Ball starts up

Still think Shaq was far worse at it though. All the gifts in the world a center could hope for and he just got lazy. He could've won a lot more rings imo.

Could you imagine how much of a monster he would've been if he even had 50% of the competitiveness Jordan exuded, he would have had 10+ ringsif he was 100% lights out Jordan mind set

Hack-A-Shaq would never been born, cause he would be 85%+ in FT

Cleveland is a shithole. Their number one pick from last year had a historically anonymous rookie year and they will probably screw up this year's pick too. they should consider themselves lucky to have landed so many number one picks in the modern era, theyve had so many chances to build on something great and theyve fucked it up repeatedly.

BadAss2961

Cleveland dint have the cap space because of the stupid trades they made earlier that season. Comic sans is a terrible owner, and i dont blame lebron for leaving, lbjs only fault was the decision. Just dumb.
And Wade had obviously given Riley the heads up on LeBron a long time in advance. Which is how Riley cleared the books like never before to make the magic happen.
Cleveland is a shithole. Their number one pick from last year had a historically anonymous rookie year and they will probably screw up this year's pick too. they should consider themselves lucky to have landed so many number one picks in the modern era, theyve had so many chances to build on something great and theyve fucked it up repeatedly.

To be fair, last year's draft was one of the weakest ever.

zychi

Banned
I remember this. Hate hate hated how Shaq left the Orlando Magic with a good supporting cast of teammates because he was salty he couldn't get past Jordan and the Bulls in the East. I still remember how salty Anfernee Hardaway looked sitting next to Shaq at the Olympic games.

This is the same Shaq that left Miami because he thought they were garbage and it was really because he was out of shape and didn't want to lose weight and practice. Never could like a player that abandons a team because he thinks they're garbage. I guess it's why I can see why Cleveland fans and LeBron haters want him to fail.

Shaq got beat by Hakeem, not mj. MJ was already in his prime before Shaq got out of his rookie season. He went west before the Lakers were stacked, no one knew Kobe would be that good. Hell, the team who drafted him traded him. Shaq wanted to be famous and a movie star, like everyone thought Dwight wanted.

Shaq didnt get lazy until after ring 2. By that point he was the #2 most famous active nba player behind mj.

Shaq left Mia because he didnt want to be number two to Wade and he got lazy and Riley wasnt dealin with his shit.

zychi

Banned
And Wade had obviously given Riley the heads up on LeBron a long time in advance. Which is how Riley cleared the books like never before to make the magic happen.
The Bulls and Knicks did the exact same thing with no heads up.
Everyone is doing it for next summer already.

Its not like contracts are this secret that no one knows when a player's time is up.

Cipherr

Team wasn't great, but it wasn't shitty either.

Yes they fucking were shitty. WATCH THE GAME YOU CLAIM TO KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT dude.

They were good enough to be regular season champs AND be the favorites to win it all at their peak, but couldn't get over the hump.

No they weren't good enough LEBRON was good enough to get them a regular season record and a finals. When he left where did Cleveland end up in the rankings the next season. Go look it up.

Many legends faced the same hurdles before winning their championship. Did they run? No.

Actually yes. Many legends either left, or their front offices pulled their heads out of their asses and surrounded their star with talent. Thats a fucking fact.

Dwight doesn't help you, he HURTS your position. He won a ring ECF and then STILL left to go play with Kobe, then left them to go play with Harden. Thin argument gets even thinner.

But I get it, players should have no choice or agency. If they're lucky enough like Magic, Jordan, and Bird were to get good teammates, good for them. If not, they should simply wallow away in obscurity, especially if their GM is horrible.

Pretty much. Its a wonder he think he has any chance of convincing reasonable people of this nonsense. Noone cares, not history, not the league not the players or coaches or anyone.

BadAss2961

The Bulls and Knicks did the exact same thing with no heads up.
Everyone is doing it for next summer already.

Its not like contracts are this secret that no one knows when a player's time is up.
Teams were making room to acquire 1, maybe 2 stars if they hit the jackpot. But Miami already knew what they were going to get, which is why they had 2 players on their roster that off-season.

zychi

Banned
I think badass has selective hate. I dont like Lebron, but what he did in free agency wasnt anything new.

I think the worst it got was like 5 days before June ended but that was due to a shortened season and playoffs got pushed back by 2 weeks to accommodate the regular season

I remember Finals Game 7 being done with right before or after Father's Day, so like the 14th would be cut off

Now the 20th and if they even push the break in between games the playoff rounds even a extra day or two, the damn thing will really end up on like July 2nd or 3rd

Can you imagine Finals finishing like a week before Summer Ball starts up
I just looked at the past finals since 99 and they all ended around then. Last year ended on the 20th. I think the earliest I saw was the 14th but that was because it was a short series.

zychi

Banned
Teams were making room to acquire 1, maybe 2 stars if they hit the jackpot. But Miami already knew what they were going to get, which is why they had 2 players on their roster that off-season.
The bulls had 4. Derrick, jo, and two bench players.

They settled on boozer and a ton of cap room that ended up going to Derricks giant contract

Again, so what? Everyone in the league colludes, how do you think Rodman ended up a Bull? Its free agency, stop whining.

cdyhybrid

Lebron didn't owe the Cavs shit.

This is the organization that will have had the #1 pick 3 of the last 4 years and, in the best-case scenario, will barely make the playoffs and probably lose in the first round next season (followed by that first #1 pick leaving in free agency).

Yes they fucking were shitty. WATCH THE GAME YOU CLAIM TO KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT dude.

No they weren't good enough LEBRON was good enough to get them a regular season record and a finals. When he left where did Cleveland end up in the rankings the next season. Go look it up.

Actually yes. Many legends either left, or their front offices pulled their heads out of their asses and surrounded their star with talent. Thats a fucking fact.

Dwight doesn't help you, he HURTS your position. He won a ring and then STILL left to go play with Kobe, then left them to go play with Harden. Thin argument gets even thinner.

Pretty much. Its a wonder he think he has any chance of convincing reasonable people of this nonsense. Noone cares, not history, not the league not the players or coaches or anyone.

What timeline you in, Charles?

To be fair, last year's draft was one of the weakest ever.

they fucked up in 2012 too when they had the fourth pick and took Dion Waiters over Andre Drummond, Harrison Barnes, Terrence Ross, and Thomas Robinson and they couldve done better than Tristan Thompson the year they had the number one and number four pick. Theyve had an absolute bounty of opportunities to draft really good players these last few years and most of their picks turn out to be either shit or average

Halcyon

Shaq got beat by Hakeem, not mj. MJ was already in his prime before Shaq got out of his rookie season. He went west before the Lakers were stacked, no one knew Kobe would be that good. Hell, the team who drafted him traded him. Shaq wanted to be famous and a movie star, like everyone thought Dwight wanted.

Shaq didnt get lazy until after ring 2. By that point he was the #2 most famous active nba player behind mj.

Shaq left Mia because he didnt want to be number two to Wade and he got lazy and Riley wasnt dealin with his shit.

Shaq got swept by the 72-10 Bulls in the playoffs the season he decided to leave Orlando.

zychi

Banned
Shaq got swept by the 72-10 Bulls in the playoffs the season he decided to leave Orlando.
Once. To the best team of all-time imo.

Jordan dealt with the Pistons.
Lebron had Chauncey's Pistons, Bos and the Spurs to get passed.

Shaq left to become more famous and make more money in LA. He wasn't avoiding MJ. He never saw MJ's Bullls again. He had to get pass Malone and Hakeem first.

BadAss2961

Dwight doesn't help you, he HURTS your position. He won a ring and then STILL left to go play with Kobe, then left them to go play with Harden. Thin argument gets even thinner.

lol

First off, Dwight pissed on LeBron with a team that fell to the bottom of the standings when he left just like Cleveland did when LeBron left. Backing my point that Dwight had the same kind of team. Also, Dwight likes your rewrite of his history where he wins a ring.

2nd, give me some examples of these other legends that left their team in their prime to go play with other superstars. Or front offices that pulled their heads out of their asses. The Lakers are the Lakers, they always acquire talent. The Bulls front office didn't pull their heads out of their asses -- Scottie Pippen happened, and Jordan got better.

lol

First off, Dwight pissed on LeBron with a team that fell to the bottom of the standings when he left just like Cleveland did when LeBron left. Backing my point that Dwight had the same kind of team.

Also, give me some examples of these other legends that left their team in their prime to go play with other superstars. Or front offices that pulled their heads out of their asses. The Lakers are the Lakers, they always acquire talent. The Bulls front office didn't pull their heads out of their asses -- Scottie Pippen happened, and Jordan got better.

Free Agency wasnt a thing in the 80s and 90s. I dunno why ESPN took that route to try and discredit LeBron.

It was a team built around him. Just because there was no other star doesn't mean the team was garbage.

Never said the team was garbage. I said they were overachievers and that's true. Dwight team also lost Vs the West which was my original post.

Thank you for proving my point.

Kanguro

Neo Member

Fucking this!

Cavaliers before LeBron left:
61 - 21

Cavaliers after LeBron left:
19 - 63

Chicago Bulls before Jordan's first "retirement":
57 - 25

Chicago Bulls after Jordan's first "retirement":
55 - 27

That's the difference a championship level roster with a hall of fame coach can make. After MJ retired the Bulls were still an extremely competitive organization that couldn't get over the hump. After LeBron left the Cavs were exposed for the pile of dogshit they were (and continue to be).

LeBron took that team to the finals and even got Mike Brown a COY award! He had no obligation to stay after that. The cognitive dissonance that people display with regards to how absolutely STACKED MJ's Bulls, Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics teams were boggles the mind.

All of you LeBron haters should just be thankful the Spurs didn't luck into the first pick on the back of a well timed injury like when Robinson got hurt. LeBron's talent on an organization of that caliber would have meant the end of the league.

BadAss2961

Never said the team was garbage. I said they were overachievers and that's true. Dwight team also lost Vs the West which was my original post.

Thank you for proving my point.
They weren't overachievers though. They were good and better built for the regular season than the old man Celtics, but not good enough to beat them in a series.

The current Rose-less Bulls are overachievers. Memphis has been overachievers, knocking out some good teams in the playoffs.

Fjordson

If Parker's health is > 90%

Spurs in 6

If Parker's health is < 70%

Heat in 6

If it goes 7, Spurs will win.
Sort of how I see it.

I would love to see Timmy and Pop get one last ring. While simultaneously stopping the Miami douches from three-peating. Sweet, sweet justice.

BadAss2961

The Cavs should be thankful LeBron hung around for 7 years.
image.php

Motaw is another guy that would've made LeBron pack it up and go to Miami.

Cipherr

lol

First off, Dwight pissed on LeBron with a team that fell to the bottom of the standings when he left just like Cleveland did when LeBron left. Backing my point that Dwight had the same kind of team. Also, Dwight likes your rewrite of his history where he wins a ring.

I meant he won an ECF and then later left his team like Lebron, typing in a frenzy and fucked up. Had he won a ring you would have had a point, and it would have hurt mine. But he didnt. He achieved just as much as Lebron did with a garbage team, then bailed out to join stars just like Lebron did.

What timeline you in, Charles?

Yeah Im working right now and posting in between getting stuff done, sue me.

2nd, give me some examples of these other legends that left their team in their prime to go play with other superstars. Or front offices that pulled their heads out of their asses. The Lakers are the Lakers, they always acquire talent. The Bulls front office didn't pull their heads out of their asses -- Scottie Pippen happened, and Jordan got better.

No the bulls are the perfect example. The bulls didn't draft Scottie dude, he didn't just 'happen'. And Neither did the best rebounder of all time (arguably) just 'happen'. They got their shit together and put talent around Jordan.

And who else lef a team in their prime to play with other superstars? Cmon son, I just named one. Dwight Howard.

Spurs in 6. Duncan said they will get it done and I believe him

Timmy was absolutely pissed. I've been a long time Spur fan and I rarely see him giving that type of interview. I won't be surprise if game 1 is a 20+ blow out by the Spurs. They are looking for blood this year.

Pimpwerx

Are people really talking about LeBron staying in Cleveland? That franchise is historically bad. Were shit before him. They're shit after him. The owner is a crazy person. The city is unappealing to other superstars. He stayed 7 years, like twice the average NBA career. He owed them nothing. Everyone knew he wasn't staying. The GM should've known best and acted. Bron left as a free agent. There's nothing to talk about. PEACE.

The NBA™ is a fairly horrible product.
The biggest reason why a lot of franchises are good is happenstance.

It's why the conversion is often steered to stuff like this.

BadAss2961

I meant he won an ECF and then later left his team like Lebron, typing in a frenzy and fucked up. Had he won a ring you would have had a point, and it would have hurt mine. But he didnt. He achieved just as much as Lebron did with a garbage team, then bailed out to join stars just like Lebron did.

And who else lef a team in their prime to play with other superstars? Cmon son, I just named one. Dwight Howard.
Which is what I was trying to point out, only that he beat LeBron when they went head to head. You said Dwight hurts your team... If that's true, how did he beat LeBron in a fair matchup where the supporting talent wasn't lopsided in either favor?

No the bulls are the perfect example. The bulls didn't draft Scottie dude, he didn't just 'happen'. And Neither did the best rebounder of all time (arguably) just 'happen'. They got their shit together and put talent around Jordan.

I never said they did. Pippen "happened" by becoming a great player, which he wasn't when they acquired him.

Except Dwight isn't in his prime anymore. He may be fairly young, but he's not in his prime. Along with his athleticism went his prime. He never developed into something more.

Yes, Cleveland.. the place that hired Mike Brown twice and is a dying industrial city in the midwest, exact same thing as FUCKING MIAMI, South Beach and a HOF President and well regarded coach (SVG).

High levels of salt has been connected to brain issues, but I didn't think they onset so quickly.

You know no one was coming to Cleveland.

Pimpwerx

The NBA™ is a fairly horrible product.
The biggest reason why a lot of franchises are good is happenstance.

It's why the conversion is often steered to stuff like this.
Happenstance? The best run organizations compete regularly. The worst ones are always bad. It's not happenstance that Cleveland has a history of losing. This applies to any sport. Consistently bad teams are usually poorly run. PEACE.

Jonm1010

Banned
Which is what I was trying to point out, only that he beat LeBron when they went head to head. You said Dwight hurts your team... If that's true, how did he beat LeBron in a fair matchup where the supporting talent wasn't lopsided in either favor?

I never said they did. Pippen "happened" by becoming a great player, which he wasn't when they acquired him.

Except Dwight isn't in his prime anymore. He may be fairly young, but he's not in his prime. Along with his athleticism went his prime. He never developed into something more.

But the Bulls had the right Front Office and scouting department in place to find the right talent. They gave up picks and Olden Polynice in an extremely one sided trade.

What have the Cavs done with any confidence in the last decade other then lucking out with being the team that gets to pick the can't miss talent in two drafts??

They have been abysmal in free agency, poor in the draft and their market has few redeeming qualities. Who wants to stick around for that?? As a Pelicans fan I know all about your star wanting out, I just am empathetic enough to realize that from the players perspective I wouldn't want to stick around with a bum organization if I can get paid the same elsewhere, have a winning team and a better quality of life.

Cipherr

DWight hurts your team? What? And Dwight's team beat Lebrons in a fair matchup because they played a better series. I watched Jordan suffer and lose many years long before the 3 peats came along my friend. What do you mean 'how' did ORL beat them?

Thats called knowing a good player with potential when you see them. AKA getting your head out of your ass and doing whats right for your star. Its also what we call good scouting. And you conveniently ignored Dennis Rodman. Don't cherry pick bro.

When Dwight left he was still great, everyone has injuries here and there but you need to go back and look at his stats, that guy is still and incredible force, and he absolutely left that team when he was peaking. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him put up great stats yet again next year.

And BTW, Lebron left to Miami years ago, and IIRC his stats have been getting better ever since. He hasn't peaked yet. So miss me with this 'prime' stuff.

BadAss2961

Yes, Cleveland.. the place that hired Mike Brown twice and is a dying industrial city in the midwest, exact same thing as FUCKING MIAMI, South Beach and a HOF President and well regarded coach (SVG).

High levels of salt has been connected to brain issues, but I didn't think they onset so quickly.

You know no one was coming to Cleveland.
So what you're telling me is that LeBron gave up on his home state team, which he swore to bring a ring to since he understood and felt their pain?

Not a good look for his legacy. But people forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom