• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[2014] Xbox One Indie Parity Clause impacting number of announcements for system

EvB

Is MS shills and MS apologist the same thing now? Meaning, are you just really saying apologists? The results here are the same, but I wanna know if people still think MS has a huge task force of forum spies out to change our opinions.

There are only 4 groups of people on the Internet:
Normal level headed gamers
MS shills
Nintendo Fanboys
PC Elitists

Begaria

The parity-release clause has always just been so stupid to me. Actively blocking small-middle scale games from coming to your platform unless they play by your rules only is limiting this industry.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Not sure what you're getting at with the first class treatment/dirty indie thing lol. I do agree that the landscape will continue to be viewed as toxic and will continue to have an impact on dev decisions either way.
I mean in terms of the way MS tries to whitewash the policy (for the sake of making XBO owners feel "first class") and the disturbing number of XBO owners who keep defending the policy because they apparently never met an indie they liked and don't need all that clutter in the store anyway (not saying that's you). If that's the climate in which the userbase is going to continue to grow, it's not cultivating an appreciation for indie games, so it raises the question just how enticing that userbase might really be in another year or so.

Handy Fake

I mean in terms of the way MS tries to whitewash the policy (for the sake of making XBO owners feel "first class") and the disturbing number of XBO owners who keep defending the policy because they apparently never met an indie they liked and don't need all that clutter in the store anyway (not saying that's you). If that's the climate in which the userbase is going to continue to grow, it's not cultivating an appreciation for indie games, so it raises the question just how enticing that userbase might really be in another year or so.

"I'm not anti-Indie - I have Indie friends - but..."

PhatSaqs

Banned
Has the press picked up the discussion yet? Can't be good for Microsoft when this gets more attention. Don't think they can keep up this clause if the media starts pointing to it more though they should have done that a long time ago.
Theres plenty of media articles on it already. Even an interview or two with Spencer. Like i said, its not gonna change until a huge hit for PS4 is made and the dev publically middle fingers MS. As it is theres little reason for them to change it outside of getting rid of a hardcore bullet point. Missing out on a few low radar titles seemingly isnt a big deal to them validated by the clause sticking despite "news" and the aforememtioned missing titles.
Solid points sir. Will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

Its pretty great to see a scene MS helped popularise with XBLA completely outgrow MS's system and rules and just move on.

Obviously if a game is big enough and the developer still wants it on Xbox, MS will bend the rules but its a shame this cuts off smaller games and press darlings. Something like Pix the Cat will probably never come to XBL for example with the current system.

So apart from those few tweets, have we gotten any feedback? I fear that without more organized action this is going to fall on deaf ears again.
I'm preparing a thoughtful rant I'll post up with a tag tonight aimed at MS. Give me some time. I don't care if I crash and burn with our things but I need to stand up for my brothers and sisters in development. I'll post it in this thread tonight when it goes up.

SerTapTap

So apart from those few tweets, have we gotten any feedback? I fear that without more organized action this is going to fall on deaf ears again.

I doubt they'll listen to anything but feedback from developers en-masse...and...well, even then, if they're ignoring what's probably about 100 games by now that are on or announced for PS4 but not Xbox One, I'm not sure they even give a fuck at all. They're ignoring literally dozens of games including ones with 100ks of sales, including ones with 90+ metacritic, including ones that used to be xbox exclusive. I just can't imagine they actually care anymore if they're totally fine with missing out on what they've already lost.

Rymuth

I'm preparing a thoughtful rant I'll post up with a tag tonight aimed at MS. Give me some time. I don't care if I crash and burn with our things but I need to stand up for my brothers and sisters in development. I'll post it in this thread tonight when it goes up.
Looking forward to it.

I'll step away... Sorry, was not my intention to derail thread. I though this was a discussion of xbox parity clause and impact on gamers.
2c5eb049ac5d924f75cbced8f38bd1ff2c80e072dfa42ef4df1745da33da6962.jpg

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
People are allowed to think indie games are shitty. You can disagree with them. What exactly will bish see in the last few pages, other than Amirox and some juniors disagreeing with each other?
The question isn't whether or not indie games are shitty.** It's irrelevant. Period.

If that's the hill you want to die on, go ahead.

It's whether or not MS is actively encouraging a policy that hurts developers and gamers, especially in regards to their own ecosystem.

That's it.

**tagging all indie development with that moniker is absolute nonsense and anyone espousing that should be ashamed.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

It takes a lot of time to respond officially about something like this since you have to go through a bunch of chains of commands and such. I know for sure they're listening though.

Handy Fake

Back on topic, it's great to hear about the actual trials and tribulations of such things from the developers themselves. Really drives home what a piss-take the whole situation is.

Also - as someone else mentioned earlier before we got a bit wayward - did Microsoft get around to paying the devs what they were owed or is that still ongoing? I suspect that's another thing MS will sharp have to look at with regards to garnering Indie support.

Back on topic, it's great to hear about the actual trials and tribulations of such things from the developers themselves. Really drives home what a piss-take the whole situation is.

Also - as someone else mentioned earlier before we got a bit wayward - did Microsoft get around to paying the devs what they were owed or is that still ongoing? I suspect that's another thing MS will sharp have to look at with regards to garnering Indie support.
Scanning the last page of this thread, it doesn't appear so.

Theecliff

Banned
The question isn't whether or not indie games are shitty.** It's irrelevant. Period.

**tagging all indie development with that moniker is absolute nonsense and anyone espousing that should be ashamed.
The damned truth. Indie games are games, they're not some special genre that you can write off because of tastes.

Slixshot

Banned
So like, I haven't payed attention to any post past OP...

God DAMN, that's a lot of Playstation games! ^_^ Replaying Bastion for a 3rd time will be so fun! Lots of good looking games on that list too. YAY!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It takes a lot of time to respond officially about something like this since you have to go through a bunch of chains of commands and such. I know for sure they're listening though.

If not, oerhaos something could be organised amongst the indie dev community for GDC?

Cess007

haven't heard a single one of those games tbh.

Would much rather have 3-5 amazing games than 40 games that wouldn't hold my interest for more than a few hours, but that's just me.

Maybe just me, but this year, i'd more fun with Stick it to the Man, Dust or Binding of Isaac than (i.e) Watch Dogs. But that's not the point of this thread.

Good luck man. I really hope your rant doesn't bring you anything else but good news for your game.

Maybe just me, but this year, i'd more fun with Stick it to the Man, Dust or Binding of Isaac than (i.e) Watch Dogs. But that's not the point of this thread.

Good luck man. I really hope your rant doesn't bring you anything else but good news for your game.
I should really label it a "statement", lol. Also, I'm going to make it very abundant I see scorched earth. I'm doing this for everyone else roadblocked by this clause. We will see if the earth renews itself in time.

This parity clause is absurd. It doesn't help anyone, it's just a shitty deal for everyone. Indie developers (and Microsoft) lose out on potential revenue, gamers don't get the opportunity to play some great games.

Thank you for this thread, OP!

Ravidrath

Did you talk to Ono about it?

We're trying to reach out to him through the US side.

I guess I do have his e-mail address and could just send him a thing directly in Japanese.

As discussed in the SF5 thread, would it be possible for sony to include the driver in future SDKs?

like if you told them, you were making a fighter, they sent you a sdk with the driver already built in so you didnt even need to worry about it?

That would be amazing, but I doubt it would ever happen.

They're still taking a very wait-and-see approach with this, since not even a single game that does this has been released yet. They know people love the idea, but I think they want to see it out in the wild before going nuts with it.

Fnord

This parity clause is absurd. It doesn't help anyone, it's just a shitty deal for everyone. Indie developers (and Microsoft) lose out on potential revenue, gamers don't get the opportunity to play some great games.

Thank you for this thread, OP!

The only way it makes sense for anyone is if MS is in a commanding lead in units sold. They would have all the hand and could basically dictate that games come to their platform. And I believe that's what they were counting on. The PS4 taking the lead by as much as it has pretty much instantly turned the parity clause into a giant clusterfuck for everyone involved.

Amir0x

Banned
I should really label it a "statement", lol. Also, I'm going to make it very abundant I see scorched earth. I'm doing this for everyone else roadblocked by this clause. We will see if the earth renews itself in time.

You know I've been with you day one (see my topic from exactly a year ago today), so you've got my support man. Whatever good that does at this point :p

Yeah the parity clause just seems like bad policy. Even if their intentions were good in an attempt to attract indies to come to Xbox first. (Just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here.) It doesn't seem like its been that effective. Maybe for that reason alone they'll come around and change it. I'm actually a little surprised they haven't, to be honest.

truth411

Your efforts are appreciated, OP, really they are, but your pent up energy should be directed elsewhere. Now, I own both next-gen consoles so I can give an unbiased perspective.

This is one policy where a 180 wasn't needed, like, at all. In fact, Microsoft should be applauded for doubling down to save the Xbox One store from getting overrun by indie's sloppy seconds. Consumer's don't really want choice... they want the illusion of choice. They want you to filter out the crap for them and just give them the AAA goods. They want epic online battles in the Master Chief Collection or to go on grand adventures to save Lara Croft from peril or to just sit back and kick it to a beat in Dance Central. Missing out on a few gems that sell 100 or 200k units isn't going to hinder the platform long-term.

Mass market gamers don't want to shovel through pages and pages of game listings, only to accidentally download some 2d sprite based sidescroller that reminds them of the NES days. There's a reason Microsoft hid away as much indie content as they could on the 360 store. It's a page out of Nintendo's book back when they were the dominant power. You don't just let anyone release anything on the platform because the lack of quality control just frustrates gamers and lowers the overall perceived value of every other game. It's a cost-benefit analysis.

For the handful of Xbox One owners who actually care about that sort of thing, they could just wait for a humble bundle sale and buy a dozen games for a buck fifty instead of $14.99 that it would cost for each game on the PS4 store. Then they hook up their PC's hdmi cable to the Xbox One hdmi in, sync their Xbox One controller to their PC, and what do you know, you just saved yourself time, money, and heartbreak. Comfy couch gaming 4 da win. edit: This is about list wars, mainly. My point is the Xbox One has missed out on a lot of indy games so far, but the media consensus is in overwhelming agreement that it still had the better year one library... and that's because of the AAA games (Forzas, SO, Halo, etc.)--not the indies.

This post is truly epic lol!!! This is sarcasm right? RIGHT?

What I don't understand is these people who seem to dislike indie games, didn't have a peep to say when Microsoft spent a generations worth of first party development money on buying Minecraft of all things.

This "I don't like indies" is thinly veiled "I don't any advantage playstation platforms have over Xbox platforms"

Whats especially jarring that without XBLA, its pretty unlikely the console market for indies would even exist at all. Shitty policies aside, Xbla still did alot for both consumers to find and develop an interest in indie games and for indies to explore a non traditional market (at the time).

Don't get me wrong, I think alot of indies are shit, even some of the most well regarded (BoI, Nidhogg, Splunky are some notable examples) But thats my personal preference in games.

For every BoI, There is an Android Assault catus, for every Nidhogg, there is Skullgirls, for every Splunky, there is Cloudberry kingdom.

If you can't find several upcoming indies that you aren't extremely excited about, I question your love for gaming in general. Its ridiculous to think the only games people can enjoy are big budget AAA affairs.

Even if 90% of indie titles are shit to you. There has to be at least 10% you would love.

this policy is preventing you from finding out.

We're trying to reach out to him through the US side.

I guess I do have his e-mail address and could just send him a thing directly in Japanese.

That would be amazing, but I doubt it would ever happen.

They're still taking a very wait-and-see approach with this, since not even a single game that does this has been released yet. They know people love the idea, but I think they want to see it out in the wild before going nuts with it.

Makes sense. I'm almost ready to bite the bullet on a new stick, but it would be nice for this to happen anyway.

Warablo

This policy just hurts Xbox Ones ecosystem and gamers. Change the policy Phil, let me play my indie games on the Xbox One.

Ferrio

Banned
Every developer has to start somewhere, to write off indies is to write off the gaming period.

That said, I wonder what the break down of people who "hate indies" is. I mean, is it younger gamers who didn't grow up in the NES early era? Is it people who only started gaming when it became more mainstream? That'd be a neat statistic.

Does the parity-clause only affect indie-games?

I'm thinking about that Spiderman-game that was suddenly cancelled on Xbox One when it looked like it wouldn't be ready for the release date a few weeks later (I think they managed to get a digital version ready in time for the release).

Lamptramp

Well done on the OP Chubigans, well researched and presented piece, kudos. I hope you and all the other smaller devs teams trying to work with this asinine clause see improvements soon.

This really is a nasty, mean spirited little clause and always has been. It needs to go, in fact more than that it needs never to have existed in the first place, even if it was having the effect Microsoft wanted and was netting them "timed exclusives" by forcing small devs to output on Xbone first (or hold back other versions) it would still be a despicable little practice.

The fact that not only is it not doing what they (presumably) want but hurting their customers and themselves just goes to show that they are more than happy to be perceived as not just mean-spirited but incompetent.

Best of British that man! You have my axe, etc.etc. Though in fairness the axe is slightly rusty and hasn't been sharpened or ground back for some years so it looks more akin to a saw. Thinking about it my Gerber is probably sharper.

/salute

Every developer has to start somewhere, to write off indies is to write off the gaming period.

That said, I wonder what the break down of people who "hate indies" is. I mean, is it younger gamers who didn't grow up in the NES early era? Is it people who only started gaming when it became more mainstream? That'd be a neat statistic.
I would be willing to bet that everyone who has come in here proclaiming they hate indies have unknowingly played and enjoyed an indie game at some point in the last year or so.

PS4/Vita is the first world of indie games

XB1 is the third world of indie games

The Wii U gets much indie love too, many of the games mentioned in the first post are announced for Wii U too (or already available). And the Wii U has some (console) exclusive indie games like Little Inferno, Art of Balance, Tengami, etc.

curb

Banned
The Wii U gets much indie love too, many of the games mentioned in the first post are announced for Wii U too (or already available). And the Wii U has some (console) exclusive indie games like Little Inferno, Art of Balance, Tengami, etc.

Someone brought that up earlier. I'm be curious to see the Wii U indie title numbers for the same time period.

Huggers

Great thread that exposes not only a bizarre attitude but an even more bizarre apathy to do something about it. Come along Microsoft

One of the biggest issues which was mentioned in the first post, was that indies don't have massive budgets, they are trying to keep costs down and a staggered release can be the easiest method to get their game out and start getting cash in... they can get some good early PR and it helps them build momentum.

We are currently making a game, and there are so many platforms vying for attention. You have to decide which platforms you can release on from a technical point of view, such as the tools that you have available but also the staff you have to make the game and when you need to get the game out. With so many platforms, resolutions and control methods, indies don't necessarily have the time to do all this at the same time if they want to get a game out. Most indies are living with very small budgets or working full time, so it's a fine balancing act.

We want to release on VITA first (because we love the device and designed the UI initially based on it)...Once we have completed this version we would then know how to publish via Sony and we would then go straight onto a PS4 version before doing other platforms.

So because we are trying to be sensible in what we can make and in what order, the decision to release on XBO later has already been made for us by the clause, so we're not even considering it as a platform now...personally I think that is the wrong way to do things. In the end most indies are trying not champion a particular platform but just make great games on as many platforms and turn a profit so they can make bigger and better games.

Anyway it's all good fun. :)

Someone brought that up earlier. I'm be curious to see the Wii U indie title numbers for the same time period.
The difficulty in finding that number is that Nintendo doesn't curate titles often so you literally have to scour Nintendo news sites like gonintendo to get a solid list. Some titles are announced with their release.

curb

Banned
The difficulty in finding that number is that Nintendo doesn't curate titles often so you literally have to scour Nintendo news sites like gonintendo to get a solid list. Some titles are announced with their release.

There seems to be good indie support by Nintendo so I'm surprised they aren't a little more public about this kind of thing.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
One of the biggest issues which was mentioned in the first post, was that indies don't have massive budgets, they are trying to keep costs down and a staggered release can be the easiest method to get their game out and start getting cash in... they can get some good early PR and it helps them build momentum.

We are currently making a game, and there are so many platforms vying for attention. You have to decide which platforms you can release on from a technical point of view, such as the tools that you have available but also the staff you have to make the game and when you need to get the game out. With so many platforms, resolutions and control methods, indies don't necessarily have the time to do all this at the same time if they want to get a game out. Most indies are living with very small budgets or working full time, so it's a fine balancing act.

We want to release on VITA first (because we love the device and designed the UI initially based on it)...Once we have completed this version we would then know how to publish via Sony and we would then go straight onto a PS4 version before doing other platforms.

So because we are trying to be sensible in what we can make and in what order, the decision to release on XBO later has already been made for us by the clause, so we're not even considering it as a platform now...personally I think that is the wrong way to do things. In the end most indies are trying not champion a particular platform but just make great games on as many platforms and turn a profit so they can make bigger and better games.

Wow you guys are really new I had to do some digging before I found solid information on your studio.
I'm a big PS Vita fan and I will keep an eye out on your first game so I wish you guys good luck with that.

On topic thought this post is yet another piece of proof on how awful the clause is and it needs to go.

Amir0x

Banned

Another one for the list. Adding you in, also AbsintheGames might want to talk with you :D

INDIE DEVS ON GAF HATE IT

Here's just FIVE from the PHIL SPENCER defends ID@Xbox Parity clause thread (edit: and one from this topic):

A few of my friends and I have come together to try our hand at developing games. We're all really excited and every time we move closer to finishing the game, it's like we're kids at Christmas. It's such an amazing feeling, but when you're so wrapped up in it, it's easy to forget the kind of bullshit that goes on in the "big leagues."

That's why we've all agreed that we want no part of it, regardless of whatever financial hit we take. If there are inane politics like this parity clause (unless you're big enough or important enough) involved in getting on a platform, fuck it. We don't exist to serve them.

We're all definitely a lot happier since we stopped worrying about this stupid parity thing and decided not to release on Xbox.

We are a couple of guys making things. This was the only thing holding us back from X1 development. It was considered straight out of the gate for us. We have been approved for one of the big 3 and are in the process of courting another. MS isn't on our list. We don't have that kind of manpower or funding to push several builds at once. As it is, we are spreading them as lightly as possible but it is rough.

Not that we are amazing or any of you should care about us but I hope MS changes their tune in the future. It would help us little guys out big time to get that extra bit of help and exposure. Right now its just a pipe dream.

BlastProcessing said:
I am actually half of a two man indie team. We work out of our apartments, not basements so you got us there. I will say that Microsoft's policy absolutely affects us negatively. We are in the prototyping stages for our next game and it sucks that we have to waste any of our bandwidth on platform decisions at this point.

LestradeTCQ said:
Thanks for the thread, Chubigans. I'm an indie dev as well as a fellow GM Studio user. I made Home for Steam/iOS/PS4/Vita (it was the very first GM Studio game on a PlayStation console, I was told). I announced with Sony my next game (Alone With You) as a PS4/Vita exclusive at PAX this year.

All that is to say I agree with what Chubigans is saying, from a developer point of view. Interesting note: to date, not a single Microsoft rep has ever reached out to me at events or online, and I've never seen one here in town (Toronto). To contrast that, reps from PlayStation have been coming to Toronto for years to sniff out talent and talk to small studios (I spoke to them two years ago about Home).

Now, I know some local devs who are launching first on Xbox One, and speak well of MS. I wouldn't doubt it; they were in that spot where they hadn't launched yet, hadn't announced anything, and could make those decisions.

But for someone mid-project, something like the parity clause (if enforced) is brutal. Home is now on multiple platforms (Steam - Windows and Mac, iOS and PS4 and Vita) and if I had to deal with even two of those very different platforms at launch I would have lost my mind. At least with PS4/Vita at launch, you're dealing with some similar situations; PS4 and XB1 would be really tough for me (I'm a one-man shop).

I love my Xbox One (seriously, it's great; I use it every day), and would certainly love to make games for it. But sometimes as a developer new to a platform, the best way to join the party is to port something you already know and learn your way around before you commit to something new. A parity clause makes that impossible for tiny studios like mine.

Sony won with the PlayStation (among other things) by being incredibly developer-friendly compared to Nintendo, and obviously it was the smart move. Every platform generation has had a similar story; make a good home for devs and everyone does business. I can't say nicer things about the folks I know now at Sony; hopefully MS will, as many have said here, cotton on to their friendlier tactic.

TrebuchetGames said:

FIVE indie devs up and coming, FIVE examples of the parity clause being harmful. + you chubigans makes SIX! This is just on GAF, shitload more commented in media of course.

Top Bottom