• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[2014] Xbox One Indie Parity Clause impacting number of announcements for system

Amir0x

Banned
You dismissed my opinion as wrong attaching a derogatory fanboy label because I have a system preference, insinuating that I am simply spinning to cover for the sins of Microsoft. When in fact I just don't care about indy games... In your mind you can't understand that.

Um, that's not calling you a name. That's an interpretation of your intentions in the topic, which by all accounts is becoming more and more wildly accurate with each passing post you make.

Compbros

My biggest issue with all this is it seems like the damage, for the large part is already done. Even if the policy was lifted tomorrow, only a percentage of the indies that released on PS4 (that weren't exceptions to this policy) would then finally release on XB1.

and whether we like it or not, late ports really do not sell anywhere near as well generally.

Once it's lifted there's no reason an indie dev wouldn't try or, at least, consider putting the game on XBO. The huge road block is taken down and now they can get their game on a system with 6 ~ million users.

They may sell less but the game is at least purchasable and playable for XBO owners. Now they don't even get the CHANCE of playing the game on XBO.

I'm allowed my opinion. I feel that a huge importance is placed on indies, and I've not really seen why this is.

For every great indie game there is that brings something new, there's thousands more which don't do anything new or are cliche. It was my impression that indie games were supposed to be cared for because it's people's chances to create games that aren't big budget etc. And allows creativity to shine through.

I don't see this happening, at least not much, I just don't understand how it is really important. I'm not closed minded, I'm in this for discussion, not for saying my opinion is fact, if anyone takes it that way it's because they're looking to have an argument, which I'm not in here for, I'm here for discussion.

And to the person who thinks I don't understand the purpose of this thread - I do. The point is that Microsofts ruling means that small publishers who don't have the team size, money or time to produce games on multiple machines at one time can't and because of this, aren't allowed to publish on Xbox.

Everything...EVERYTHING..you've just said can be equally applied to AAA games. So it's essentially a moot point.

curb

Banned
6.jpg

I've used this before but Indy games do suck:

Afrodium

Banned
I cannot fathom being so loyal to a company that I actively defend policies that hurt me as a consumer. If you are an "Xbox gamer" then you should be all about MS removing the clause. Why are people asking for their platform of choice to get less games?

Also, one of the best ways to leave this forum as a Junior Member is to get into an extensive, personal argument with Ami.

He'll take the week ban and you'll be gone forever. Don't do it, Junior!
Or do, I can't tell you what to say or think, I'm not Microsoft.

It's not personal... Just surprising how one can scream you are ignorant while getting world up about a juniors personal opinion that indy games mostly suck... Again, in my opinion.

But you bring up an excellent point...😃

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
I really couldn't give a flying crap about indie games to be honest, every now and then there are some good ones, for the most part I find them cliche.

I find these sort of arguments where Sony has 50 games Microsoft won't have, or Sony has all the indie support, to just be dick measuring. Let's face it, the majority of the install base either aren't going to play these indie games or will play a couple of them, this is just number games to say ha, my console is better...

It's the same with PC gaming, we have all of these indies! Yeah, but I don't get anything from them, it seems like indie's are the be all end all, I don't think they are. I honestly don't gett how this fuss about them started a couple of years back, I think the only indies I've played and enjoyed are Limbo and... Can't think of anything else.

Indie games to me are on par with mobile games.

I can understand the reaction to those claims as being epeen measuring, but in this case I don't think most of the people in this thread are engaging in that. It's more to illustrate a problem. It's not about which console is better or any of that nonsense, it's about a policy that isn't working.

cheesekao

I cannot fathom being so loyal to a company that I actively defend policies that hurt me as a consumer. If you are an "Xbox gamer" then you should be all about MS removing the clause. Why are people asking for their platform of choice to get less games?
In the case of our two newcomers, they simply don't care because it doesn't affect them, which is pretty ignorant.

Jomjom

Banned

Because they hate indies. If there are more of them it is harder to spread the hate around? I dunno man.

Y0j1mb0

Amazing thread OP! Here's hoping Microsoft makes changes for the better and these games get to the hands of more gamers.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
You should replace 'indies' with 'chocolates' and imagine not being able to export/import your chocolate products.

Some would still say off-topic things "I don't like Kinder chocolate and my baby might choke on the toys. I'm fine with just eating Bounty."

Anfang

Alrightie, so we have gone from this

I'm just one user and speak only for myself but... I could not POSSIBLY give any less of a crap about indy games. In my experience, they are all complete shit, low budget crap.

to this

It's not personal... Just surprising how one can scream you are ignorant while getting world up about a juniors personal opinion that indy games mostly suck... Again, in my opinion.

Can we expect in a few posts that it will be only half of indies suck?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That Indy game by The Collective (now Double Helix) on Xbox was good, too.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sorry... I'll get out. I didn't attack any posters... I just said I have zero interest in indy games.

But, this topic isn't even ABOUT indie games, it's just using them as an example.

I mean, this parity clause could conceivably be the reason why Street Fighter 5 is not coming to the Xbox One, because if Capcom can't develop and release both the PS4 and the X1 versions at the same time then they can't release it on the X1 at all. Is Capcom a fucking indie developer?

Are people even reading the OP???? o_O

it's because fanboys/fangirls are idiots of the highest degree, and some say they are good for the industry while I think the total opposite, they let terrible practices, policies go unchecked. There were people defending that damn DRM last year and this stupid clause this year.

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
Once it's lifted there's no reason an indie dev wouldn't try or, at least, consider putting the game on XBO. The huge road block is taken down and now they can get their game on a system with 6 ~ million users.

They may sell less but the game is at least purchasable and playable for XBO owners. Now they don't even get the CHANCE of playing the game on XBO.

Absolutely. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm part of an indie dev team that doesn't have the resources to develop for both platforms simultaneously, consequently we're only developing for PS4. But if MS reverses this policy, we'll build an Xbox One version without question and I'm sure we're not unique. Any indie dev would want their game to be accessible on as many platforms as possible.

That's the thing, MS can undo most of the damage very easily.

But, this topic isn't even ABOUT indie games, it's just using them as an example.

I mean, this parity clause could conceivably be the reason why Street Fighter 5 is not coming to the Xbox One, because if Capcom can't develop and release both the PS4 and the X1 versions at the same time then they can't release it on the X1 at all. Is Capcom a fucking indie developer?

I don't believe the parity clause applies in the same way to publishers, though I could be wrong.

I imagine that amongst the current group of indie developers, you'll find the future geniuses and AAA creators who will bring us new and exciting games.

Microsoft would be smart to get to get on their good side.

Jomjom

Banned

No they aren't. Coming in here to post that you hate or love indies has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't believe the parity clause applies in the same way to publishers, though I could be wrong.

Yeah, I thought it only applied if you took a free dev kit as part of ID@Xbox

Alrightie, so we have gone from this

to this

Can we expect in a few posts that it will be only half of indies suck?

Listen, all types of people expressed their personal opinions on indy policies, quality of indy games etc. Many people explained that these policies are to their personal detriment and that's fine and fair, I respect that and didn't tell anyone they are an idiot for liking indies. I simply pointed out that in my opinion this policy doesn't move the needle for me one way or the other as it simply doesn't effect me in large part because of my poor experience with just about every indy game I tried. I mean we all share opinions here... No? Not once did I say this policy should be enforced or that people who like indy games suck... For the record.

Amir0x

Banned
What about monkey island? Day of the tentacle? Full throttle?

He must like grim fandango though, right?

are you kidding me what was the budget on monkey island

TypuyBaran said:
in my opinion this policy doesn't move the needle for me one way or the other as it simply doesn't effect me

Where is SomethingGroovy to tell me about how wrong my psychoanalysis is about how selfish some gamers are being?

curb

Banned
I feel like there should be an "It's 'indie' not 'indy' thread that's crossed with a best/worst Indy game discussion. (I don't really think that.)

the question is when? If development of an XBO version has already been dropped and a game is already supporting the game on several other platforms and maybe even doing preproduction on their next game, there really isn't much indication the Xbo will get the game anywhere close to the original release, if at all.

please don't think im saying the indie clause is a good thing:- its not.

Im just unsure that at this point the damage hasn't already been done to the extent that removing the indie clause would be much more than a PR victory.

Basically im saying, that Microsoft has alot more work cut out for them to be seen as a indie friendly plaftorm. The indie clause is a big part but the puzzle is far larger.

Jomjom

Banned
Listen, all types of people expressed their personal opinions on indy policies, quality of indy games etc. Many people explained that these policies are to their personal detriment and that's fine and fair, I respect that and didn't tell anyone they are an idiot for liking indies. I simply pointed out that in my opinion this policy doesn't move the needle for me one way or the other as it simply doesn't effect me in large part because of my poor experience with just about every indy game I tried. I mean we all share opinions here... No? Not once did I say this policy should be enforced or that people who like indy games suck... For the record.

You know posting about whether you think the policy should or should not be enforced would actually be more on topic.

First words of your post are already incorrect. You offered your opinion on indies not the indie policy, which is the topic of this thread.

It's kind of incredible that this clause has the almost opposite effect of what Microsoft intended. It left a bad taste in my mouth ever since I first read about it, and now is as good a time as any to shelve it for good.

Teletraan1

Banned
Thanks for the write up. This thread is needed. That MS tweet was gross. What a bunch of asshats. They just don't care do they. Hopefully this policy gets put in the garbage where it belongs.

The posters in here clumping indie games as some genre are foolish. Saying you don't like indie games you might as well just say you dont like games period. Indie is not a genre. Indie games encompass every game genre available. While I do feel that this mindset stems from the early deluge of twin stick shooters and pixel art platformers because those games rose to prominence early and a lot of copycats showed up on the scene. This happens in the AAA scene as well. That one E3 every game was Uncharted.

redcrayon

I imagine that amongst the current group of indie developers, you'll find the future geniuses and AAA creators who will bring us new and exciting games.

Microsoft would be smart to get to get on their good side.
I don't understand why people opposing the OP don't get this. Even if you are opposed to buying games by independent developers for whatever bonkers perception you have of them, it's a training ground for the mid tier. In five years time there's a good chance it's going to be huge part of console gaming. That's why the media has been covering it with more and more enthusiasm. MS lose nothing by allowing those developers to cut their teeth on XBO, even if they don't release there first. Hell, I'm buying shitloads of indie stuff on the Vita that came out on PC months/years ago.

Don't buy an xbox.. M

I don't think Amir0x has anything against the Xbox, or even Microsoft. People in this thread are discussing the fact that the parity clause is a negative for developers, Xbox and gamers because its effect is the reverse of its goal and leads to less games on the Xbox. How much anyone enjoys these games is irrelevant to the topic - your or my opinion does not change the fact that the parity clause is not functioning as intended.

Compbros

the question is when? If development of an XBO version has already been dropped and a game is already supporting the game on several other platforms and maybe even doing preproduction on their next game, there really isn't much indication the Xbo will get the game anywhere close to the original release, if at all.

please don't think im saying the indie clause is a good thing:- its not.

Im just unsure that at this point the damage hasn't already been done to the extent that removing the indie clause would be much more than a PR victory.

Basically im saying, that Microsoft has alot more work cut out for them to be seen as a indie friendly plaftorm. The indie clause is a big part but the puzzle is far larger.

It may or may not be close to release but why should the person buying the game care? At least they still get to play it. As it stands now they simply won't get the game on XBO instead of getting it a few months down the road. Regardless, if XBO development was dropped, devs would pick it back up THAT DAY and start working on it.

Absolutely. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm part of an indie dev team that doesn't have the resources to develop for both platforms simultaneously, consequently we're only developing for PS4. But if MS reverses this policy, we'll build an Xbox One version without question and I'm sure we're not unique. .

All it takes to be "indie friendly" for the XBO is to not have this unfriendly policy in place, that's IT. Everything else they're doing with indies (dev kits and Unity and all that) is fine but then they throw up this nonsensical brick wall simply because they want it "first, same day, or not at all". This is really just putting the boot to devs' neck and trying to force their hands.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think Amir0x has anything against the Xbox, or even Microsoft. People in this thread are discussing the fact that the parity clause is a negative for developers, Xbox and gamers because its effect is the reverse of its goal and leads to less games on the Xbox. How much anyone enjoys these games is irrelevant to the topic - your or my opinion does not change the fact that the parity clause is not functioning as intended.

I certainly don't. I played 90% of all my games on 360 last gen (and online), and purchased virtually every indie game there last generation.

I have issues with certain policies Xbox One had, of which this is the sole remaining big blip on my radar. As soon as it's resolved, I can buy an XBO.

nampad

So are MS shills trying to stop all the negativity with telling everyone how shitty indie games are now or why do some juniors suddenly voice this opinion so loudly when it adds nothing to the discussion?

I think it is weird that people still can't realize how bad this clause is. It would be even worse if it would work for MS.

Top Bottom