• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Microsoft E3 Conference

How many shirts will Phil Spencer wear?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Biggzy

Overall:

The EA bit was useless.
Forza should have had a gameplay demo
Gears of War 4 demo should have been shorter, more grittier. Would not be surprised if they put this together at last moment
Halo Lens demo was ok.
Should have had some stuff on QB, Scalebound, Crackdown. Just trailers (in-game)

It was either this, or they really wanted to demonstrate that Gears is going back to the more 'survival horror' roots of the first game.

blakep267

I think this was a great conference. B+. But the one thing it was missing, was that big centerpiece demo. Gears was fine but it wasn't hype enough. We needed crackdown, scalebound or QB to be there. At least 1

Also the Halo Warzone stuff that was shown on Xbox daily was great. What was shown in the conference didn't do a good job of conveying how cool it is

Survival horror is what made gears 1 campaign so fucking different and good to me. Before that I never played anything like that. Big AAA action with dark depresing fear and horror throughout.

Kill3r7

Excellent conference overall. Second strong conference in a row for MS. Backwards compatibility, mods and early access are all good features. The new UI looks awesome as well.

Thretau

The more I watch the trailer, the more I think my game of E3 is Sea of Thieves

Just the whole vibe of it, plus the stunning art style is mesmerizing
I was watching the MS conference with two of my friends and this was the only game that made us all really excited and say "We got to play that!"... and none of us own a Xbox One, fuck.

Dog nose

Neo Member
Game looked broken last year, seems they've been working hard to make it half decent.

It wasn't - it was actually playing it at last E3 that I fell in love with it. Being in the closed beta I can tell you it has come a long way and I can't wait for it! However none of the beta has revealed the brightlodge/community aspect or the other "secrets" about the game

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I feel like the UI is a big deal and should've been in the conference not announced after somewhere else.

Ya and specially Cortana on Xbox One. I mean they made a big deal announcing cortana on WP and Windows but not on Xbox One? Come on phil.

Microsoft should have shown the UI somewhere a little bigger and public, maybe a second show straight after the conference rather than mixed in the middle of a lot of other stuff. Cortana is going to make it absolutely amazing.

Microsoft should have shown the UI somewhere a little bigger and public, maybe a second show straight after the conference rather than mixed in the middle of a lot of other stuff. Cortana is going to make it absolutely amazing.

yeah, it looks awesome... "Cortana start a party and invite justsomeguy" - sooo easy.

Wonder what happened to snap though... and goddamn double tap to bring up the quickmenu, grr, should be single tap for quickmenu, double for home.

Duxxy3

My biggest disappointment of E3 so far is that Gears 4 demo. There was no build up to it. No Story. It looked like a brand new IP with vaguely gears-like gameplay. I think I was so disappointed because I love the shit out of the original trilogy.

I find it interesting that MS/Sony appear to have swapped roles somewhat this E3.

Microsoft have gone from:

Apparently being an anti-consumer company with the DRM debacle
Ramming TV/TV/TV down gamers throats
Making people buy peripherals they don't want
Being the more expensive console
Having a poor focus on indies
Being a "COD shooter box"

to:

Giving gamers access to treasured games through Rare's collection
Giving FREE backwards compatibility
Giving free demoes to players under the preview programme
Making it much easier for independent developers to come to xbox through windows 10
Giving indies much more prominence at E3
Being the cheaper console
Providing OPTIONAL peripherals
Giving up COD
Dropping TV,TV,TV
Focused more on first party games at this E3

Meanwhile, Sony appears to have:

Given only paid for backwards compatibility which doesn't always work
Become the more expensive console
Picked up TV,TV,TV in a big way
Become the "COD shooter-box"
Lost focus on first party games this E3
Tried to claim reflected glory by promoting Shenmue 3 without financially supporting it at themselves and shaking a tin at gamers through Kickstarter

Interesting times.

I find it interesting that MS/Sony appear to have swapped roles somewhat this E3.

to:

Making it much easier for independent developers to come to xbox through windows 10
Giving up COD
Dropping TV,TV,TV

Tried to claim reflected glory by promoting Shenmue 3 without financially supporting it at themselves and shaking a tin at gamers through Kickstarter

Interesting times.

What? Because they spent a few minutes on it? MS had nearly an entire conference about that stuff early on.

to:

Giving up COD
Dropping TV,TV,TV

Interesting times.
Joke post? They mentioned tv for 2 minutes max lol. I like how you ignore everything else like horizon, dreams.etccv. they showed ad many first party as ms. Ridiculous.

speedomodel

I feel like the UI is a big deal and should've been in the conference not announced after somewhere else.

I like that they kept this sort of stuff out. They are announcing new things throughout the week to keep momentum and I think it's a good strategy.

New UI looks niceeee

Now I'm hoping that Gamescom focuses on 2016+

Gamescom is set up right now to be huge...
-Scalebound
-Crackdown
-Quantum Break
-Twisted Pixel's new game?
-Press Play's new game?
-Lift London's new game?
-Recore gameplay?

Plus we still have the PC show tonight...
-Halo Wars 2 with crossbuy?
-Minecraft update?

Osahi

to:

Giving up COD
Dropping TV,TV,TV

Interesting times.

So ps4 is the shooterbox now, while they showed stuff like dreams, last guardian, horizon, worlds of ff, ...

Weird reasoning, just because they picked up cod.

Ms had a solid showing, but a pretty safe one too. And one that pretty much focusedon games we allready knew about + new stuff they barely showed anything of. Exactly what i expexted from ms actually. Halo, forza, gears. Tomb raider. None of those demos were truly inspiring imo (halo and tr are day one for me anyway) Rare new ip was a highlight... Sony did what i expected from them too: show a tad more variety and originality, next to established mainstream stuff. And then those bombshells. And how did they lose focus on first party if they showed TLG, Horizon, uncharted 4 and Dreams, while they showed r&c, uncharted trilogy, tearaway just before e3?

Can't imagine how you came to reasoning roles have shifted. Ms has transformered for the better, sony is still sony. Gamers win because they finally are on par again

Also, i am pretty sure sony will partly fund shenmue 3. That kickstarterbudget would not cut the development costs anyway

blakep267

How does Fable still not have a date yet!

they need to iron some things out. plus it looks like that stuff with Lena Headey is new so imo it seem that they're going in more of an mom direction with the raid boss than just standard 4v1

it was on the gamespot live show schedule

jond76

Banned
Just played through my 60 minutes of The Long Dark in the preview program. It was really solid. I may pick it up. Conversely, Elite Dangerous isn't really doing much for me.

Great option to have.

NickFire

Is this the first MS conference with no announced exclusive "on XB1 first" DLCs or exclusive DLCs all together?

Damn.

Its bad business to treat the majority of the worldwide installed base as second fiddle. Every time a pub/dev does that, another game is right there to steal its thunder.

harSon

Banned
So ps4 is the shooterbox now, while they showed stuff like dreams, last guardian, horizon, worlds of ff, ...

Ms had a solid showing, but a pretty safe one too. And one that pretty much focusedon games we allready knew about + new stuff they barely showed anything of. Exactly what i expexted from ms actually. Halo, forza, gears. Tomb raider. None of those demos were truly inspiring imo (halo and tr are day one for me anyway) Rare new ip was a highlight... Sony did what i expected from them too: show a tad more variety and originality, next to established mainstream stuff. And then those bombshells. And how did they lose focus on first party if they showed TLG, Horizon, uncharted 4 and Dreams, while they showed r&c, uncharted trilogy, tearaway just before e3?

Can't imagine how you came to reasoning roles have shifted. Ms has transformered for the better, sony is still sony. Gamers win because they finally are on par again

Also, i am pretty sure sony will partly fund shenmue 3. That kickstarterbudget would not cut the development costs anyway

There's a reason for all of this. Microsoft chose to split their announcements and games between E3 and Gamescom, whereas Sony decided to forego Gamescom and focus completely on E3 (Tokyo Game Show may come into play though). If Microsoft had done the same, you'd have yesterday's conference plus Scalebound, Quantum Break and Crackdown - on top of whatever announcements they have lined up for Gamescom. It remains to be seen which tactic will prove to be more fruitful.

As for Shenmue 3, I doubt Sony is funding it. Didn't they say something along the lines of "We have nothing to do with this project, but wanted to give the project some exposure?" If Sony were funding it, I doubt they'd allow it to go to PC since that's typically something they don't do for larger titles - and they'd likely be publishing it. SF5 has a PC version, but that's only because the franchise has an existing competitive fan base utilizing that platform.

I wouldn't say that Microsoft has caught up with Sony yet. I think their AAA lineups are probably about par but Microsoft is severely lagging in the downloadable space. Microsoft probably has more franchises in the downloadable space but they don't publish nearly as many as Sony has. Ori, Killer Instinct, and State of Decay will probably be mainstays for Microsoft but they need more one-off games.

Personally, I think Microsoft would do well to reboot Banjo as a downloadable game.

harSon

Banned
I'm a bit worried about Scalebound after that Square conference. Does Platinum have the personnel to simultaneously develop Scalebound, Transformers and Nier2?

9/10 to me. TombRaider, Forza, Gears,Gear Remaster, CupHead, the new controller, Backward compatibility, Mods for FallOut, Rare's retro game collection, ......"Finish Him! Reptile wins...." In other words they just killed it.
What's scary is ScaleBound, CrackDown, and Quantum Break are gonna be shown next in 5 weeks. Overall its a good time to be an X1 owner. Halo 5 though...meeeeehhhhhh. Just finish this series off already. I've lost all interest in it. Didn't do a thing for me. I respect that people love the series but I'm done with it myself. A very solid showing. Phil Spencer is making Dan Mattrick look like a clown right now.

rrc1594

I'm a bit worried about Scalebound after that Square conference. Does Platinum have the personnel to simultaneously develop Scalebound, Transformers and Nier2?

I'm not worried I think Scalebound is really for a long, I'll be shocked if it isn't coming spring time

Sydle

Didn't the Nier 2 demo say it just started development and it was mostly a look at art?

Scalebound has been in development for a while and was originally targeted for early 2016. Most of the game is probably built at this point.

There's a reason for all of this. Microsoft chose to split their announcements and games between E3 and Gamescom, whereas Sony decided to forego Gamescom and focus completely on E3 (Tokyo Game Show may come into play though). If Microsoft had done the same, you'd have yesterday's conference plus Scalebound, Quantum Break and Crackdown - on top of whatever announcements they have lined up for Gamescom. It remains to be seen which tactic will prove to be more fruitful.

As for Shenmue 3, I doubt Sony is funding it. Didn't they say something along the lines of "We have nothing to do with this project, but wanted to give the project some exposure?" If Sony were funding it, I doubt they'd allow it to go to PC since that's typically something they don't do for larger titles - and they'd likely be publishing it. SF5 has a PC version, but that's only because the franchise has an existing competitive fan base utilizing that platform.

Sony decided to forgo Gamescom to attend Paris Games Week instead. Paris Games Week is one of the largest attended gaming focused shows in the world. They will have a booth at Gamescom, just no conference. They will have a conference at Paris Games Week. That is when Media Molecule will show more of Dreams. I am not sure if Microsoft will have a media event/conference at Paris Games Week in addition to Gamescom. It didn't sound like it though (I am sure MS will still have a booth and stuff). I know Phil Spencer tweeted that it made sense that Sony was skipping Gamescom since it is so close to E3 and stuff.

People are saying sony focused all on e3 and skipping GamesCom, making it seem like ms has more to show...Sony is having another conference in Paris as GamesCom is too close to E3 this yeat . Yikes people. Sony has a lot left to show many of their studios projects are still not revealed.

It's a better strategy imo.

Sony is having another conference at Paris games week so sony also split announcements.... Sony has more to show too not just ms. Having one on the fall is better imo GamesCom is too close to E3 and gives sony more time to get demos ready and it spreads out announcements more.

People are saying sony focused all on e3 and skipping GamesCom, making it seem like ms has more to show...Sony is having another conference in Paris as GamesCom is too close to E3 this yeat . Yikes people. Sony has a lot left to show many of their studios projects are still not revealed.

It's a better strategy imo.

And MS has more to show at gamescon too??
not a real question
So your logic would be correct for both of them having 'the better strategy'

lolollolololololololol

Top Bottom