• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Holy shit, this is great. 3DS truly is the GOAT handheld.

Still not a big fan of how DS games look on the 3DS though. The perfectionist in me still wants to get a DSi XL for that sweet 1:1 pixel mapping dual IPS glory.

Edit: I'm reading the DS from SD card might not work with game saving... welp

n64coder

Another quick question, but unrelated to A9LH. On my N3DSXL I am running Menuhax/Luma with CtrBootManager. I have unlinked 9.2 on the Sysnand and my Emunand is the current 11.2.

I would LOVE to install FBI onto the Sysnand so that I could get GBA games installed onto it thus launching them from my Emunand. What I am trying to do is boot into Sysnand and do a browserhax to Homebrew Launcher to launch MiniPasta so that I could do all this. Unfortunately when I try to launch Homebrew Launcher from browserhax it flashes me back to the CtrBootManager instead of Homebrew Launcher.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? I am under the impression I need to possibly rename the boot.3ds or change the cfg file?

Have you looked at Plailect guide? There's info for people with emunand and wanting to convert to sysnand.

Anybody Iin socal with a modded New 3DS that can help my downgrade my n3ds? Will buy you lunch or something :)

I think you are better off looking for someone to hardmod your 3ds. The person would need to lose access to their nnid for 1 week as it would require system transfer to your 3ds, wait a week, and then transfer back. You would need to call Nintendo and have them transfer your nnid back to your device.

tony888t

Neo Member
So I've been following the guide to downgrade my second n3ds, but I'm getting a error when launching steelhax-installer. Getting the error 0000002, any idea why?

So I've been following the guide to downgrade my second n3ds, but I'm getting a error when launching steelhax-installer. Getting the error 0000002, any idea why?

You might have downgraded past your steelhax version. You should probably be able to carry on using BrowserHax if that's the case.

womp

Have you looked at Plailect guide? There's info for people with emunand and wanting to convert to sysnand.

That guide isn't what I am looking to do here though. I just want to load up the homebrew channel on my sysnand without it going to the CtrBootManager instead. I have a setting in there flipped around somewhere and can't figure out which it is. :/

That guide isn't what I am looking to do here though. I just want to load up the homebrew channel on my sysnand without it going to the CtrBootManager instead. I have a setting in there flipped around somewhere and can't figure out which it is. :/

The initial launch of the payloads is hard coded and can only be changed by Hex editing the files. You've likely got boot.3dsx as CtrBootManager while the payload for HBC is expecting it to be the Homebrew Menu.

flowsnake

Can't you edit your boot.cfg so that it gives you a choice of whether to boot Luma or Homebrew Channel?

Has anyone played the "Aperture Science 3D" adaptation of Portal for the 3DS?

Any particular homebrew apps/demos/games you think are cool and worth checking out?

I think I saw a video for the Quake port. Man I should download that (if it's available for download)... I love Quake to bits. Too bad it wasn't 3D, but would be awesome if they add in 3D at a later time.

womp

The initial launch of the payloads is hard coded and can only be changed by Hex editing the files. You've likely got boot.3dsx as CtrBootManager while the payload for HBC is expecting it to be the Homebrew Menu.

Can't you edit your boot.cfg so that it gives you a choice of whether to boot Luma or Homebrew Channel?

This is what I was thinking was wrong...

I want Luma to boot by default but right now I have no access to the homebrew channel outside running things via the file manager at the CtrBootManager launch. I just want to get Homebrew access on my sysnand to get FBI installed on it for the GBA stuff. I miss not having my ambassadors.

Opa-Pa

Seems like I qualify to use slowhax. I mean, I'm on 11.1, have homebrew and own Four Swords... I'm lazy tho and I'd rather not do it yet, is it realistic to expect an even simpler/faster method down the line?

As for homebrew games, man, I'd play the hell out of that Doom port if it had music support.

This is what I was thinking was wrong...

I want Luma to boot by default but right now I have no access to the homebrew channel outside running things via the file manager at the CtrBootManager launch. I just want to get Homebrew access on my sysnand to get FBI installed on it for the GBA stuff. I miss not having my ambassadors.

I'd edit the Menuhax payload to boot boox.3dsx instead of boot.3dsx and then put CtrBootManager as boox.3dsx and Homebrew as boot.3dsx (not like the Menuhax payload is going likely change again).

AkumaNiko

I had my n3ds xl down graded and installed LumaCFW and updated to current firmware. Everything was working fine. I put my 3ds in sleep mode by closing the lid and left it for a few days. Tried to open it and it was a dark lit up screen. Tried turning it off by removing the battery and nothing. the LED was blue and the wifi was blinking orange very slow.
What happened?

womp

I'd edit the Menuhax payload to boot boox.3dsx instead of boot.3dsx and then put CtrBootManager as boox.3dsx and Homebrew as boot.3dsx (not like the Menuhax payload is going likely change again).

Just saw your post but in the meantime what I did was to simply swap out the current boot.3dsx with the latest HBL one. Instead of CtrBootManager it took me straight to HBL where I picked Mini pasta and held L on boot. I just want to load up some choice GBA titles on my sysnand and be done with it.

Thanks again for the help!

tony888t

Neo Member
You might have downgraded past your steelhax version. You should probably be able to carry on using BrowserHax if that's the case.

I should have been clearer with my post. This is the part i'm on the guide (app injection), section IV. My emuNAND is currently on 11.1.2

I should have been clearer with my post. This is the part i'm on the guide (app injection), section IV. My emuNAND is currently on 11.1.2

So you're at the point where you copy a vulnerable DSiware title over one that isn't ?

I take it you're doing this on the CFW 3DS you're going to transfer from and it's setup with Menuhax and EmuNAND target than a9lh / sysNAND ? Are you using Luma (if so make sure the EmuNAND setting is to use the EmuNAND native Firm by default or that you're holding the right toggle button on launch) ?

(Steelhax should work on 11.1 EmuNAND assuming the correct version and payload and that NFIRM is done correctly by your CFW).

tm24

So for some reason i cant downgrade my NFIRM? DGtool says it happens but nothing changes when I check 3DSident. IM on 11.1.0.34 and im using the 11.1 to 10.4 NFIRM and the kernal doesnt change

EDIT: NEvermind i just ran it a bunch more times and its on 2.50-11 now

xillyriax

So for some reason i cant downgrade my NFIRM? DGtool says it happens but nothing changes when I check 3DSident. IM on 11.1.0.34 and im using the 11.1 to 10.4 NFIRM and the kernal doesnt change

EDIT: NEvermind i just ran it a bunch more times and its on 2.50-11 now
about how many times did you have to run it? I'm stuck in the same spot.

Only difference is that i'm on 11.0.0-33

tony888t

Neo Member
So you're at the point where you copy a vulnerable DSiware title over one that isn't ?

I take it you're doing this on the CFW 3DS you're going to transfer from and it's setup with Menuhax and EmuNAND target than a9lh / sysNAND ? Are you using Luma (if so make sure the EmuNAND setting is to use the EmuNAND native Firm by default or that you're holding the right toggle button on launch) ?

(Steelhax should work on 11.1 EmuNAND assuming the correct version and payload and that NFIRM is done correctly by your CFW).

My bad, thought I was on 11.1 but I'm on actually on 11.2.

Is it possible to downgrade EmuNAND?

tm24

about how many times did you have to run it? I'm stuck in the same spot.

Only difference is that i'm on 11.0.0-33

Like 10 times i felt like i did it?

Finally finished. Wooooo! Now to do other stuff i guess. Like figuring out how to transfer saves over when i dump my carts

xillyriax

Like 10 times i felt like i did it?

Finally finished. Wooooo! Now to do other stuff i guess. Like figuring out how to transfer saves over when i dump my carts
nice. Did you get any 'Fails' when downgrading to 10.4? One of the files in the 'Updates' folder doesn't like to play nice and continually Fail even though the 9.2.0 zip passes the checksum test

:/

tm24

:(

I tried restoring sysnand again because i was having an eshop issue and after restoring it now my 3ds wont turn on. The light lights up for a second and then it goes off.

I'm fucked arent I?

If you transfer the games from one 3DS to another, does it only transfer the games or does the transfer change the firmware as well (to a newer one)? My source 3DS has a newer firmware than the target.

Seronei

:(

I tried restoring sysnand again because i was having an eshop issue and after restoring it now my 3ds wont turn on. The light lights up for a second and then it goes off.

I'm fucked arent I?
If you have A9LH you're not. You should still be able to boot the decrypt9 A9LH version and restore sysnand again.

n64coder

If you transfer the games from one 3DS to another, does it only transfer the games or does the transfer change the firmware as well (to a newer one)? My source 3DS has a newer firmware than the target.

You'll need to update your destination 3DS to the latest version (unless you use ctr-httpwn).
So yes, it only transfers the games/saves.

Do any of your 3DS have CFW?

tm24

Check your SD card hasn't corrupted and that arm9loaderhax.bin is still on it. Turning off immediately might happen if it can't load from the card.

I am not the smartest person in the world! i must have deleted when i was cleaning the SDcard of the extra files. Thank you

tony888t

Neo Member
Not sure what happened, my 3ds no longer boots up. When I press the power button the blue light flashes once and nothing else. Am I screwed?

Also tried accessing recovery and nothing.

tm24

Not sure what happened, my 3ds no longer boots up. When I press the power button the blue light flashes once and nothing else. Am I screwed?

Also tried accessing recovery and nothing.
Same problem i had. You're missing the arm9loaderhax.bin on the sd card probably. Put the arm9loaderhax.bin from the luma zip back onto the root of your SD card

Ashhong

Decided to bite the bullet and pay a stranger on Craigslist to mod my New 3DS. He says he will install Luma CFW, is that the goto CFW? At that point would I be able to do whatever I want with my 3DS including future updates and whatnot?

You'll need to update your destination 3DS to the latest version (unless you use ctr-httpwn).
So yes, it only transfers the games/saves.

Do any of your 3DS have CFW?

Unfortunately no, I have Four Swords on an up to date new 3DS and the new 3DS I got on black friday is still on 11.1 so I thought I could transfer Four Swords and try to install custom firmware that way. Sounds like that's not possible haha. Thanks for the help though.

Unfortunately no, I have Four Swords on an up to date new 3DS and the new 3DS I got on black friday is still on 11.1 so I thought I could transfer Four Swords and try to install custom firmware that way. Sounds like that's not possible haha. Thanks for the help though.

You can. There's two potential methods one which takes an extra week and one which takes extra work.

The slow way is to use httppwn to do a system transfer from the up to date one to the Balck Friday one. Then wait a week and commence following the guide.

The quick way is to launch Homebrew on the fully up to date one via some entry points and use JKSM to dump your saves, then do a system format (which will unlink your NNID), then link the NNID on the black friday system. Then redownload 4 swords on it. Then follow the guide. After you're down you'll have to redownload all your eshop stuff and restore any backed up saves.

(Pulled titles are removed from the store not from your download list).

n64coder

The quick way is to launch Homebrew on the fully up to date one via some entry points and use JKSM to dump your saves, then do a system format (which will unlink your NNID), then link the NNID on the black friday system. Then redownload 4 swords on it. Then follow the guide. After you're down you'll have to redownload all your eshop stuff and restore any backed up saves.

Doesn't this involve calling Nintendo to get permissions to relink your NNID? What are the disadvantages of this approach if any?

Doesn't this involve calling Nintendo to get permissions to relink your NNID? What are the disadvantages of this approach if any?

It shouldn't. A system format while connected to the internet requires your NNID password and should mark it as removed from the system, which means it should be free for adding to the other system (it's the scenario for if you eg decide to sell your 3DS , then decide to buy another one later). But if that doesn't work , yeah you'd have to call Nintendo and get the NNID reactivated.

You can. There's two potential methods one which takes an extra week and one which takes extra work.

The slow way is to use httppwn to do a system transfer from the up to date one to the Balck Friday one. Then wait a week and commence following the guide.

I see, I definitely need to do more reading on what the process is. I only skimmed the website that was linked in the op and clicked through the various steps in how to get it (very informative and concise site by the way). I'm not familiar with all the different terms.

hirokazu

Hmm, I've made some preparations to get CFW on an O3DS running 11.2.

So my plan is:
1. Back up NAND on Source 3DS
2. Transfer from Target 3DS to Source 3DS
3. Back up NAND of Target 3DS transferred onto Source 3DS
(The above is so I don't lose my StreetPass and other data from the Target 3DS)

4. Restore NAND from (1) to Source 3DS
5. Perform DSiWare exploit with transfer from Source 3DS to Target 3DS

(The below is so I can restore my StreetPass and other data back to the Target 3DS)
6. Restore NAND from (3) to Source 3DS
7. Wait seven days
8. Transfer from Source 3DS to Target 3DS

I've performed up to the end of Step 3. Now the thing is, the Source 3DS has 4 Swords installed. The Target 3DS does not. After I performed the transfer from Target 3DS to Source 3DS in Step 2, everything went okay but Source 3DS (now with the data transferred from the Target 3DS) still has 4 Swords installed and playable? Shouldn't that have been erased during the transfer?

Hmm, I've made some preparations to get CFW on an O3DS running 11.2.

So my plan is:
1. Back up NAND on Source 3DS
2. Transfer from Target 3DS to Source 3DS
3. Back up NAND of Target 3DS transferred onto Source 3DS
(The above is so I don't lose my StreetPass and other data from the Target 3DS)

4. Restore NAND from (1) to Source 3DS
5. Perform DSiWare exploit with transfer from Source 3DS to Target 3DS

(The below is so I can restore my StreetPass and other data back to the Target 3DS)
6. Restore NAND from (3) to Source 3DS
7. Wait seven days
8. Transfer from Source 3DS to Target 3DS

I've performed up to the end of Step 3. Now the thing is, the Source 3DS has 4 Swords installed. The Target 3DS does not. After I performed the transfer from Target 3DS to Source 3DS in Step 2, everything went okay but Source 3DS (now with the data transferred from the Target 3DS) still has 4 Swords installed and playable? Shouldn't that have been erased during the transfer?

Was it a special 3DS that came with 4 swords ? Such things are bound to the console not the NNID.

No, it was downloaded when it was available on the eShop. When I did a system transfer of another 3DS to a N3DS a while ago, 4 Swords was transferred with it.

4 Swords is DSiware , did you remember to transfer it to the SD Card when you were prompted too and then back ?

Ashhong

hey guys, I could use a bit of clarification.

I'm skipping a couple of steps because I am having a person mod my new 3ds. He's using his own 3DS XL with CFW to downgrade and install Luma CFW onto my 3ds, along with FBI.

I am new to all of this and not sure where I need to be looking for more info on what I can do with this. Like, do I need something like ninjhax?

He says that I can install any Nintendo firmware and it wont break my hack, is that true?

How do I get something like an NES/SNES emulator on it? (and what's the best one)?

Appreciate any help. I'm still trying to catch up on all of this but I need to get it ready soon to give as a gift for xmas

hirokazu

4 Swords is DSiware , did you remember to transfer it to the SD Card when you were prompted too and then back ?
I did not get a prompt to do that. It just stayed on the system. Anyway, It looks like I fucked something up, now I get an error code everytime it tries to log in with the NNID. -_-"

Top Bottom