• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Madao

It shouldn't. A system format while connected to the internet requires your NNID password and should mark it as removed from the system, which means it should be free for adding to the other system (it's the scenario for if you eg decide to sell your 3DS , then decide to buy another one later). But if that doesn't work , yeah you'd have to call Nintendo and get the NNID reactivated.

that doesn't work from experience.

even if you system format, the NNID can't be used on a different system unless you do a system transfer. i tried that several times and my NNID stays linked to the same 3DS even after the system format.

calling Nintendo is the only option to move the NNID from one system to the other without system transfers.

hey guys, I could use a bit of clarification.

I'm skipping a couple of steps because I am having a person mod my new 3ds. He's using his own 3DS XL with CFW to downgrade and install Luma CFW onto my 3ds, along with FBI.

I am new to all of this and not sure where I need to be looking for more info on what I can do with this. Like, do I need something like ninjhax?

He says that I can install any Nintendo firmware and it wont break my hack, is that true?

How do I get something like an NES/SNES emulator on it? (and what's the best one)?

Appreciate any help. I'm still trying to catch up on all of this but I need to get it ready soon to give as a gift for xmas

You won't need an additional entry point (as long as the person does a proper job they'll at least install FBI for you (which lets you install other things). You can use the Homebrew Launcher Channel to launch into Smea's homebrew and Luma's payload manager for things that require launch from a9lh.

You can upgrade to any firmware released so far on a9lh fine (as long as you don't launch Gateway CFW and update from there, it lacks FIRM0/1 write protection).

The best emulators are from injecting the game into Nintendos built in VC emulators for the most part but I believe there's a Retroarch port that's both installable as a CIA and runnable from the HBL.

I did not get a prompt to do that. It just stayed on the system. Anyway, It looks like I fucked something up, now I get an error code everytime it tries to log in with the NNID. -_-"

You should get a prompt to do that right at the start of the system transfer.

that doesn't work from experience.

even if you system format, the NNID can't be used on a different system unless you do a system transfer. i tried that several times and my NNID stays linked to the same 3DS even after the system format.

calling Nintendo is the only option to move the NNID from one system to the other without system transfers.

Good to know even if it doesn't make sense.

You should get a prompt to do that right at the start of the system transfer.

You get two prompts actually, one at the start (to move DSiWare from system memory to SD) and again at the end (to move from SD to memory on target system).

Assuming both are New 3DS. Not sure if it's different from O3DS to New.

hirokazu

You get two prompts actually, one at the start (to move DSiWare from system memory to SD) and again at the end (to move from SD to memory on target system).

Assuming both are New 3DS. Not sure if it's different from O3DS to New.
This is O3DS to O3DS. And I was transferring from a system withOUT 4 Swords and overwriting the system WITH 4 Swords.

Doesn't matter though, I formatted the memory and relinked the NNID and Four Swords is available to redownload. Seems like 4 Swords didn't get wiped by the transfer and instead got linked to the transferred NNID once the transfer completed. Weird.

Now I'm trying to restore the NAND backup and hoping the sign in error goes away while preserving my previous data. If that works, I should be good to simultaneously transfer back and CFW the target 3DS. 🤞

EDIT: Restored the NAND backup and everything is working now. Seems like there's all sorts of issues if you don't unlink an existing NNID before restoring a NAND backup that has another NNID attached.

EDIT: Restored the NAND backup and everything is working now. Seems like there's all sorts of issues if you don't unlink an existing NNID before restoring a NAND backup that has another NNID attached.

Yes definitely. I faced an issue like that previously and had to HEX edit some file to fix it.

Ashhong

You won't need an additional entry point (as long as the person does a proper job they'll at least install FBI for you (which lets you install other things). You can use the Homebrew Launcher Channel to launch into Smea's homebrew and Luma's payload manager for things that require launch from a9lh.

You can upgrade to any firmware released so far on a9lh fine (as long as you don't launch Gateway CFW and update from there, it lacks FIRM0/1 write protection).

The best emulators are from injecting the game into Nintendos built in VC emulators for the most part but I believe there's a Retroarch port that's both installable as a CIA and runnable from the HBL.

Awesome thanks for the heads up.

I am only confused about the last part. What do you mean "inject a game into Nintendos built in VC"? How do you do that?

Unicorn

You need a 3ds with CFW or a powersave dongle to setup oot3dhax if you are on 11.x
Which powersave device do I need? Saw a couple variants on Amazon. Also, the site in the OP also mentions a smash hax. I have both OoT and smash as well as 4swords on my ambassador 3dsXL on 11.2 and my new 3ds I want to transfer to is 11.0

Hayy guyz NinjHax works on 11.2 now, correct?

I've used it before but I never installed the HBC, I just used the Cubic Ninja cart every time. Can I just install HBC with Ninjhax and not have to carry the cart around?

n64coder

Which powersave device do I need? Saw a couple variants on Amazon. Also, the site in the OP also mentions a smash hax. I have both OoT and smash as well as 4swords on my ambassador 3dsXL on 11.2 and my new 3ds I want to transfer to is 11.0

The powersave device is from Datel. They all appear to be from the same company but different sellers. I don't have any experience with Powersaves but I think any one of them will work. Since you're on 11.2, you need to use the hard-mod or have access to another 3DS that has CFW. If you were on 11.0 or 11.1, then you would have other options.

And it has to be with the physical copy? Can't use eShop? The flowchart includes eShop.

Really the best thing to do is to read 3ds.guide and walk through your scenario. I don't want to give wrong information because it's easy for me to lose track of your situation. If something in the guide is unclear, feel free to ask questions.

Unicorn

The powersave device is from Datel. They all appear to be from the same company but different sellers. I don't have any experience with Powersaves but I think any one of them will work. Since you're on 11.2, you need to use the hard-mod or have access to another 3DS that has CFW. If you were on 11.0 or 11.1, then you would have other options.
Can't I system transfer to the n3ds with 11.0 and have 4swords on that device?

n64coder

Can't I system transfer to the n3ds with 11.0 and have 4swords on that device?

To do the system transfer, you have to upgrade both systems to 11.2. I don't know if you can fake out Nintendo with ctr-httpwn to avoid upgrading the target system to 11.2 and then get 4swords. Someone else will have to answer that question. Or you could jump on the reddit 3dshacks IRC and ask the question.

Ashhong

Ugh, the guy doing my ds said that when he did system transfer it deleted the game he needed to exploit and now he has to wait 7 days to do another transfer. Does that sound right?

After doing a transfer, are you able to use that original 3ds and do it again to another 3ds?

There are no hard modders in my area and this guy seemed like he knew what he was doing. He mods many systems including two of my other 3ds. How does he do so many if you have to wait a week? Have a shit ton of 3ds?

You don't need system transfer method if the 3DS to be modded is below firmware version 11.0

Which was likely the case until recently.

Ashhong

You don't need system transfer method if the 3DS to be modded is below firmware version 11.0

Which was likely the case until recently.

No I gave him three 11.1 3ds. Two are supposedly good while he ran into an issue in the last one. I guess he just has multiple systems

No I gave him three 11.1 3ds. Two are supposedly good while he ran into an issue in the last one. I guess he just has multiple systems

Actually I'm not 100% sure if the source system also has to wait 1 week before another transfer. I asked about that in this thread before and got different answers.

n64coder

Actually I'm not 100% sure if the source system also has to wait 1 week before another transfer. I asked about that in this thread before and got different answers.

It would only be logical if the wait applies just to the source NNID. It wouldn't be fair if someone had to wait a week to do something with the system that no longer has an NNID due to the system transfer.

It would only be logical if the wait applies just to the source NNID. It wouldn't be fair if someone had to wait a week to do something with the system that no longer has an NNID due to the system transfer.

In that case the guy could buy a slowhax compatible DSiWare game from eShop (like Sudoku) on source 3DS without a NNID and do a transfer to downgrade GAFers 3DS, right?

I don't get your "wouldn't be fair" argument though. Source 3DS can still be used normally and can be linked to a new NNID right away. Just can't do another transfer from or to it (presumably).

Gotta say, really appreciating the whole arm9loaderhax setup.

Just picked up Phoenix Wright Trilogy from the eShop. I don't do a lot of digital purchases, especially from Nintendo with their boneheaded 1-per-system / no real account setup, but buying the individual games on DS would have cost a lot.

It's nice being able to buy from the eshop again for the occasional rare title.

Holy shit, this is great. 3DS truly is the GOAT handheld.

Still not a big fan of how DS games look on the 3DS though. The perfectionist in me still wants to get a DSi XL for that sweet 1:1 pixel mapping dual IPS glory.

Edit: I'm reading the DS from SD card might not work with game saving... welp

I grabbed a DSi XL last year for like $50 on ebay, I really do prefer DS games on it. Been playing Radiant Historia on it from time to time.

Jockel

So I just got an SFC 3DS LL from my girlfriend for christmas, but it's on 11.0. I do have a regular new 3DS (Eur) on A9LH, but it looks like I'm screwed? DSiWare is out since I can't get the required games, transfer stuff is out since both systems have different regions, so I'll probably have to hardmod this beauty? D:
Is there any way to keep all my old stuff (saves, games, etc) on the new device?

Ashhong

idk but just picked them up and will take it back next week. He said he just forgot to copy over the save file for the game with it which messed it up. Oh well, the other two are good. Can't wait to play with this thing

I did a test just to find an answer to this once and for all. This is a system I transfered from 2 days ago (it was the source system), it was formatted as per usual after the transfer and does not have a NNID attached to it:

B6ZFkLT.jpg

So yeah I guess we can definitely say now that the 7 days wait period applies to both systems in a transfer, regardless of NNID.

n64coder

I did a test just to find an answer to this once and for all. This is a system I transfered from 2 days ago (it was the source system), it was formatted as per usual after the transfer and does not have a NNID attached to it:

So yeah I guess we can definitely say now that the 7 days wait period applies to both systems in a transfer, regardless of NNID.

Thanks for testing but to be clear, was this system the source 3ds again in the transfer? Or were you making it be the recipient? I would think the latter would work.

Thanks for testing but to be clear, was this system the source 3ds again in the transfer? Or were you making it be the recipient? I would think the latter would work.

I can't remember which option I chose. I'll test it again in a bit and try making it the target.

But even if it was only limited to source systems it would answer why Ashhong's contact couldn't transfer to his 3DS from a CFW system that was recently used as a source.

You were wrong again I'm afraid, it doesn't even let you choose target or source, it tells you it can't be done as soon as you agree to the terms and conditions.

I took a video you can see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZEK5q4K1zw

What was your rationale for believing it should work? A lot of people use the 3DS and buy from eShop and play online without ever registering a NNID. NNIDs were introduced later in the system's life and are not required for 99% of using its functionality, so it makes sense that the rules for system transfer apply to everyone whether they use a NNID or not.

Ashhong

So I'm trying to launch homebrew launcher to see what it does and it freezes on a red screen on the bottom.

Tried to look it up on Google and one person said to use arm9lh and LumaCFW instead . That's what I'm using now. Is there any benefit to homebrew launcher?

So I'm trying to launch homebrew launcher to see what it does and it freezes on a red screen on the bottom.

Tried to look it up on Google and one person said to use arm9lh and LumaCFW instead . That's what I'm using now. Is there any benefit to homebrew launcher?

The HBL freezes while starting occasionally (it just happened to me 3 times in a row today), just keep trying. I find that disabling internet (or enabling it), or waiting a little before launching the app, can make it work. Maybe it's totally random but I found luck by changing something before starting it if it keeps freezing.

The Homebrew launcher is useful for running certain apps, especially ones that are not available in CIA format, or when you don't want to use the CIA version (which installs it on your homescreen).

OmegaFax

Is there anything special I need to do in order to transfer my files from a 32gb to 64gb microSD card if I'm running A9LH 11.2?

I remember seeing something about EmuNAND stuff needing to be a 1:1 carbon copy or something like that but I guess a normal copy and paste would suffice here?

Is there anything special I need to do in order to transfer my files from a 32gb to 64gb microSD card if I'm running A9LH 11.2?

I remember seeing something about EmuNAND stuff needing to be a 1:1 carbon copy or something like that but I guess a normal copy and paste would suffice here?

Yes just copy and paste the files on your computer (or phone or whatever). I've done it numerous times between cards. This is answered in the FAQ page of the guide.

Q: How do I move to a new SD card at the end of this?
A: Just copy all the files to the new SD card.

Some progress on running DS games from SD card has happened. Rather impressive. Still not what I'd call prime time ready though (no save redirection) but very impressive. Will be interesting to see if they can work around the data read limit for reading from SD card.

Awesome thanks for the heads up.

I am only confused about the last part. What do you mean "inject a game into Nintendos built in VC"? How do you do that?

Sorry for taking so long to respond was going to put together a list but I've been sidetracked by Christmas, there's a bunch of scattered injector programs (one for each console so NES injector, SNES injector, etc) that will do it for you.

OmegaFax

Yes just copy and paste the files on your computer (or phone or whatever). I've done it numerous times between cards. This is answered in the FAQ page of the guide.

Thanks!

Follow-up question. Can I use the same MicroSD card on two systems or are there unforeseen consequences?

I'm asking this because I can use JK's Save Manager to export system specific saves (like Super Mario Maker for 3DS progress) and I don't get get any "This is not the same system" warnings. Essentially ... the systems are sort of a clone of one another.

I used my New 3DS XL (which had A9LH) to do a DSiWare downgrade to a standard size New 3DS by doing a system transfer. I've since done another system transfer to pass my NNID back to my New 3DS XL (and did a system restore after each transfer to put it back to pre-transfer state).

The NNID login information is deleted (I can always go back to system settings, login, and restore the system tied to that NNID; My N3DS XL. No Friend Code or anything of that sort.

Edit:

Asking because keeping up with some game saves is a pain in the ass. I'm on a Mac. The system file transfer feature built-in to the system doesn't work. FTP breaks some saves and doing JK's Save Manager imports/exports is a bit time consuming.

I love the size of the N3DS (Kid Icarus Uprising and other stylus based games don't hurt my wrist after 20 minutes) but adore my N3DS XL's IPS display.

Thanks!

Follow-up question. Can I use the same MicroSD card on two systems or are there unforeseen consequences?

I'm asking this because I can use JK's Save Manager to export system specific saves (like Super Mario Maker for 3DS progress) and I don't get get any "This is not the same system" warnings. Essentially ... the systems are sort of a clone of one another.

I used my New 3DS XL (which had A9LH) to do a DSiWare downgrade to a standard size New 3DS by doing a system transfer. I've since done another system transfer to pass my NNID back to my New 3DS XL (and did a system restore after each transfer to put it back to pre-transfer state).

The NNID login information is deleted (I can always go back to system settings, login, and restore the system tied to that NNID; My N3DS XL. No Friend Code or anything of that sort.

Edit:

Asking because keeping up with some game saves is a pain in the ass. I'm on a Mac. The system file transfer feature built-in to the system doesn't work. FTP breaks some saves and doing JK's Save Manager imports/exports is a bit time consuming.

I love the size of the N3DS (Kid Icarus Uprising and other stylus based games don't hurt my wrist after 20 minutes) but adore my N3DS XL's IPS display.

Honestly I don't know if you can use the same card with two systems. I think it might be okay, because if I'm not mistaken the system creates a unique folder (that has a long string of random letters for a name) inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder for each system, so each system's files shouldn't conflict with each other... BUT all the other folders for the A9LH, Luma and Homebrew stuff would be shared, and I don't know if that could potentially cause an issue. It probably depends on your use cases.

Better wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

mugwhump

I used the transfer method to hack my bro's N3DS. Can he start using it with my NNID, or will stuff get lost/erased from the N3DS when I call Nintendo to get my NNID back?

I installed Ninjhax, is there a way to install the Homebrew channel on the 3ds menu so i don't have to use Cubic Ninja every time i want to run an NES ROM?

OmegaFax

Honestly I don't know if you can use the same card with two systems. I think it might be okay, because if I'm not mistaken the system creates a unique folder (that has a long string of random letters for a name) inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder for each system, so each system's files shouldn't conflict with each other... BUT all the other folders for the A9LH, Luma and Homebrew stuff would be shared, and I don't know if that could potentially cause an issue. It probably depends on your use cases.

Better wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

I copied my XL's data over to a larger memory card but stuck the old one in my regular sized N3DS just to see what happens.

Half the games showed up on the home screen ... everything else was MIA. Ended up having to do a NAND restore with a copy of my N3DS SD card I made prior.

I copied my XL's data over to a larger memory card but stuck the old one in my regular sized N3DS just to see what happens.

Half the games showed up on the home screen ... everything else was MIA. Ended up having to do a NAND restore with a copy of my N3DS SD card I made prior.

Oh you expected the games would transfer just by swapping the sd cards? Of course that doesn't work. Maybe I didn't understand what your goal in the first place.

n64coder

You were wrong again I'm afraid, it doesn't even let you choose target or source, it tells you it can't be done as soon as you agree to the terms and conditions.

I took a video you can see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZEK5q4K1zw

What was your rationale for believing it should work? A lot of people use the 3DS and buy from eShop and play online without ever registering a NNID. NNIDs were introduced later in the system's life and are not required for 99% of using its functionality, so it makes sense that the rules for system transfer apply to everyone whether they use a NNID or not.

Wow, thanks for going to all this effort to answer this question once and for all! The reason I thought it would work was that I thought I did the process myself. Last year, I got a New 3DS XL and did a system transfer from my Old 3DS XL to it. Then I transferred my daughter's Old 3DS to the Old 3DS XL. I guess I must have done the second transfer after more than a week.

Didn't know that the NNID was introduced later in the system life.

I guess if you need to do it sooner than a week, you have to get on the phone with Nintendo. I had to do it once for my other daughter's 3DS. I had bought a second hand 3DS that came with a couple of games pre-installed. I wanted to be able to system transfer to the new 3DS but not lose the games. I called Nintendo and they gave me download codes for the pre-installed games. I basically explained that I was trying to swap accounts on the two 3DSes. Had no issues.

Top Bottom